Woolworths hot dogs

holdem
  • Total Posts : 411
  • Reward points : 0
Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 05/31/06 10:25 PM
Anyone remember having a Woolworths hot dog on a toasted bun? Good stuff...........

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 05/31/06 10:52 PM
Gosh...do I! They were probably very poor quality dogs, beef and pork I'd guess, doubtless filled with meal to bulk them up.

They existed in direct contrast to what was served at home and at the better, deli-type hot dog joints. All of which combined, somehow or another, to make those those red, roller-grill wieners a wonderfully guilty thrill.

Boy were they good.
The Bear

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 05/31/06 10:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by holdem

Anyone remember having a Woolworths hot dog on a toasted bun? Good stuff...........

A trip to Woolworths was a rare treat for us as kids, but one we looked forward to. I loved to watch the dogs spin and the cascading drinks in those waterfall type glass coolers on the counter-top. I felt like such a big shot sitting at that counter!

Raydee8
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 05/31/06 11:07 PM
quote:

Raydee8
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 05/31/06 11:08 PM
quote:

YES! My favorite; they would grill the bun and then use the best tasating mustard....remember?

holdem
  • Total Posts : 411
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 06/7/06 10:21 PM
I remember the long counter with the round top bar stools. What a fun place to go when you were a kid.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 06/7/06 10:59 PM
I ate at Woolworth's lunch counter more times than I can count when I was growing up but never ordered a hot dog. There were too many other choices I liked better - hot turkey sandwiches, BLT's, grilled ham and cheese, and club sandwiches.

MacTAC
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 06/7/06 11:32 PM
Growing up, there was a W. T. Grant a few doors from Woolworth's. If I had 20 cents, I'd get a WW's dog, mustard & relish. If I had 25 cents, I'd get a WTGs dog on a top-split bun with hotdog relish. A fountain drink at either was 10 cents.

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Thu, 06/8/06 8:37 AM
Woolworth’s lunch counter, what a Saturday treat. I was a credit manager for W.T. Grant’s in Far Rockaway, Newburgh, and Poughkeepsie, NY. Incredible how fast they went out of business, never have been able to figure that out?

John

festivalfood
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sun, 06/11/06 10:45 PM
I remember eating at Woolworths when I was a kid.My Mother and Grandmother would stop there for lunch when they were out shopping.I don't remember the hot dogs though.I remember eating cheeseburgers and fries there,and turkey clubs and fries ,good stuff.I do remember the deep fried hot dogs at Great Eastern department stores,remember them?I don't know what kind of hot dog they were but they were tasty,and I always asked my mother for one when we were at the one in Jersy City .

ScreenBear
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sun, 08/13/06 12:31 AM
Woolworths hot dogs were the forbidden fruit of hot dogs, tasty, red, cheap little franks doubtless meant to be consumed in volume. And you did. And your mother let you because you were hungry, and it was only once in a while and she wanted to keep shopping.

They were the antithesis of the deli type, all beef hot dogs popular at the better hot dog places in Newark, N.J., in the 1950s and '60s. And all the same, they were a great departure. I've not the faintest idea what brand they were. But thinking back, they had to be made of lips and snouts, and fattened up with meal to make the weight. And, like so many other dogs, they were delicious in their context.

There was only one other place, it seems, looking back through rose-colored Coca Cola bottles, where the same dog was sold...at those honky-tonk type refreshment stands at drive-in movies.

As a kid, you'd run up to the stand, a few quarters in hand, and buy a small cardboard carton of them to bring back to the car. There wasn't much chance of them returning to the car hot, because they were barely warm when they were dispensed to you, semi-wrapped in aluminum foil with cheesy, generic advertising on it.

At said counter, there was no sauerkraut, usually. Just sweet relish and very yellow mustard...oh, and hot relish. Who wanted that? Wouldn't it burn your mouth? Who wanted that? 'Oh, what kind of crazy world exists even farther out than this?' you thought as you peered at those bright red verboten dogs.

But it was so different, so strange. Your first introduction to really cheap food...really cheap thrills, and sanctioned by your parents, even if it was the nextdoor neighbors who brought you to this den of unwholesome culinary vice. You might as well have been eating hot dogs on Mars.
The Bear

californyguy
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sun, 08/13/06 2:54 AM
LOVED THOSE WOOLWORTHS DOGS AND EVERYTHING ABOUT THE PLACE- MISS IT.
I SEEM TO REMEMBER THEY PUT THE BUN IN SOME SILVER MeTAL THINGAMAJIGGER THAT TOASTED IT REAL QUICKLY- IS THAT CORRECT OR IS MY MIND PLAYING TRICKS AGAIN? iF THAT IS CORRECT, WONDER WHERE YOU CAN GET ONE OF THE THINGAMAJIGGERS

fhoran
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sun, 08/13/06 9:12 AM
I used to go to Woolworths with my sweetie (eighth grade love - a wonderful thing it was too) where you could get a banana split for 50 cents max. When you ordered, you got to pop a balloon that had a slip of paper inside with a sometimes lower price. Great fun. Never tried the hotdogs as we were reading "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair in English class which kept me off all sausage-like products for a number of years. Now that I am in my fifties and have no memory left so have no idea what the book was about, I can eat anything and everything with no fear (except sushi in South Bend. Never again!) Fred

Trencher
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sun, 08/13/06 9:19 AM
where is a woolworths?

Leigh

ScreenBear
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sun, 08/13/06 10:02 AM
Woolworths has been out of business for several years. They were one of the major 5 and 10 Cent stores.
The Bear
quote:
Originally posted by Trencher

where is a woolworths?

Leigh

andyh40
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Mon, 08/14/06 3:41 PM
I have fond memories of eating at the lunch counter at Woolworths in Springfield Ohio in the 60's. I was 6 or 7 and I remember the hot dogs well. I also remember their hamburgers and french fries...very crisp. My Mom use to order the club sandwich or chef salad. They served Coke in those medium sized ridged glasses with very tiny ice cubes that I use to love to crunch.

fhoran
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 08/16/06 7:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by andyh40

I have fond memories of eating at the lunch counter at Woolworths in Springfield Ohio in the 60's. I was 6 or 7 and I remember the hot dogs well. I also remember their hamburgers and french fries...very crisp. My Mom use to order the club sandwich or chef salad. They served Coke in those medium sized ridged glasses with very tiny ice cubes that I use to love to crunch.

Andy, I'd forgotten the fries. To me they were the perfect size, not too skinny like the potato sticks you get at McDs or like steak fries that require a crane to lift to your mouth. They cooked them and served them immediately so they were crispy and hot. Fred

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 08/16/06 7:44 AM
I do not remember the hot dogs, but they had a wonderful patty melt-excellently toasted wth the cheese as gooey as can be.Havent found one as good.I sure miss Woolworths for their variety of "treasures"as well.I could always find the out of the ordinary there.

acer2x
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 08/16/06 8:28 AM
There was a Woolworth's on Kensington Avenue in Philadelphia that had a separate hot dog counter with a large Richardson's Root Beer Barrel. What a combo.

MacTAC
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 08/16/06 10:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by acer2x

There was a Woolworth's on Kensington Avenue in Philadelphia that had a separate hot dog counter with a large Richardson's Root Beer Barrel. What a combo.
I forgot about the Root Beer Barrel at WW's here on Long Island but I remember that before I forgot, I was thinking it was Hires RB. Maybe a regional thing. Thanks for the memory jog...

MacTAC
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 08/16/06 10:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Woolworths has been out of business for several years. They were one of the major 5 and 10 Cent stores.
The Bear
I wonder if young people have even heard of a 5&10, or as some called them, five & dime...

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 08/16/06 10:11 AM
It was definately Hires root beer.Ah, what memories!

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 08/16/06 10:52 AM
I worked at one when I was 17 (stock room).. Used to take my breaks at the snack counter just about everyday.. I remember having the dogs and burgers, but must have been nothing special.. Considering I really dont remember the taste.

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 08/16/06 1:24 PM
If anyone heads to Memphis and takes in the Civil Rights Museum (very worthwhile stop imho), they have a perfectly restored Woolworth's lunch counter. It is a clone of the one I worked at in Milwaukee and I could almost taste the grilled hot dog and bun.

BrooklynBill
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Fri, 08/18/06 10:21 PM
For a few years, I worked across the street from a Woolworths in Kingston, NY. I frequently ate there and very frequently ate their hot dogs. I remember them as being a fat kosher type dog on a toasted roll. Hires Root Beer dispensed from a phony keg was also a must. Till this day root beer remains my favorite accompanying drink.

Bill

xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Fri, 08/18/06 10:35 PM
the only 5 and 10 i know of is in santa fe
on the plaza. it's no longer a woolworth's
but they still sell the frito pie.
don't recall ever seeing anyone order
a hot dog there though.

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sat, 08/26/06 10:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MacTAC
I wonder if young people have even heard of a 5&10, or as some called them, five & dime...
I do remember the lunch counters at Milwaukee, WI's last Woolworths, which, to be sure, was closed YEARS before the actual store, by the Mitchell Park Domes.

I wonder why they don't have such neato stuff at the modern day equivalent, the Dollar Store. I did get some Canadian sandwich cookies there once, which were maple flavored. YUMMM!

Twyla
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Thu, 09/7/06 6:42 PM
Ahhh, Woolworth's!

My foundest shopping memory is purchasing some gold fish, a 45 of "Yellow Submarine", a bottle of "Angel Face" makeup and a slice of WW's pizza.

It just don't get no better than that folks!

jerzeydawg
  • Total Posts : 167
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Tue, 06/5/07 6:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by festivalfood

I remember eating at Woolworths when I was a kid.My Mother and Grandmother would stop there for lunch when they were out shopping.I don't remember the hot dogs though.I remember eating cheeseburgers and fries there,and turkey clubs and fries ,good stuff.I do remember the deep fried hot dogs at Great Eastern department stores,remember them?I don't know what kind of hot dog they were but they were tasty,and I always asked my mother for one when we were at the one in Jersy City .

I remember the Great Eastern in Jersey City. I remember taking the 440 shopper there with my mom and sister when we were little. Last stop on that shopping bus route was Danthfort outlet womens clothing store where West side Ave. met with Danthfort Ave. Oh the memories!

cd348
  • Total Posts : 67
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Tue, 06/5/07 7:09 AM
I remember Woolworth's in downtown Louisville when I was growing up. The lunch counter there served all sorts of really good stuff. I liked the hot dogs but the hamburgers and fries were the best. Also, when I was stationed in Enid Oklahoma with the Air Force, in the really late 60's, there was a W.T. Grant store, with a lunch counter that had an all-you-can eat fried chicken special, on the weekends. All you could eat for 99 cents. Ah, the good old days.

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Tue, 06/5/07 9:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dayle long

the only 5 and 10 i know of is in santa fe
on the plaza. it's no longer a woolworth's
but they still sell the frito pie.
don't recall ever seeing anyone order
a hot dog there though.

Woolworth's closed their last stores in 1997 and re-formed as Foot Locker, the shoe retailer. However, the Santa Fe store did not become a Foot Locker, but rather an independent retail store, Five and Dime. I remember the first edition of Roadfood I bought, this establishment was listed as 'Woolworths', this was the 1992 edition.

lbjack
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Tue, 06/5/07 9:30 AM
I do not remember Woolworth's hot dogs, but I do remember their terrific ham salad sandwiches. What fun to eat at the lunch counter and then shop afterwards. I wish we still had those kind of stores. Linda

mland520
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Tue, 06/5/07 9:32 AM
For BrooklynBill-
I was born and raised in Kingston, NY and remember very well the Woolworths store on Wall Street, the main drag uptown. The last thing I purchased there was a radio for my daughter- she wanted just a radio- no clock, no timer, nothing fancy, and they were the only place in town that had exactly what she wanted for very little $$$. I remember going there as a kid with my dad, who really loved hot dogs, and having a root beer while eating a dog. Do you remember the Rexall Drug on the corner that had the soda fountain? There was a store! Made the best ice cream soda in town. If they didn't have what you were looking for, you didn't need it! Thanks for the memories- I sure do miss some of that, now that I am older ( not neccessarily wiser).

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Tue, 06/5/07 9:44 AM

I am reading these posts and it causes me to flash upon recollections of eating at a lunch counter at Grand Central Station which was on 42nd St. Does anyone remember this place? My dad would take me there when we got into the city, if not that, it would be the Automat at across the street.

mark

WienerKing
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Tue, 06/5/07 1:25 PM
Aaah, yes, Woolworth's, I remember it fondly. However, I don't recall having a hot dog there, but the club sandwiches and fries were very good. Thanks for bringing back memories of the "good old days". Here's a flashback for you....S & H Greenstamps!!!

Big Ugly Mich
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Tue, 06/5/07 5:14 PM
Here are a few fixes for us cheapo hot dog fans, but there's no lunch counter where you can debate politics, sports, or other stuff. I guess you'll have to do that in a park or over your cell phones or something.

http://www.thorntonsinc.com/ (in Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio)

http://www.speedway.com/ (in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and West Virginia)

http://www.kwiktrip.com/ (in Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin)

Thornton's is a better call because of the wealth of toppings available (even celery salt for us Chicago Style fans , but no poppy seeds on the buns ). Kwik Trip has a decent selection of condiments, too, and sells real milkshakes but not malts and it's not a bad place to get staples like milk and eggs instead of making a seperate trip to the grocery store. Speedway (or SuperAmerica, depending on location) is a LOT less expensive than either of the others, and a not bad choice when you have to eat and only have $5, and it's between home and my job, so I eat there fairly often.

My advice in these three places is: stay away from the pizza or prepared sammies and stick with the hot dogs (or other sausages). They all do pretty good coffee and fountain pops.

They all beat the snot out of other cheapo food purveyors like Taco Bell, Arby's or KFC, the carrier of the only bad shepherd's pie I ever had, and that includes some I've cooked!

eggsactley
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sat, 06/9/07 2:33 PM
Growing up in Staten Island,NY we had 2 Woolworth's with lunch counters, one in Stapleton and the other in Port Richmond. Also Kresge's (sp?) at the Forest Ave. Shoppers Town and later W. T. Grant at Hylan and Ebbitts had lunch counters. Looking back they were nothing special but were a treat when I was a kid.

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sat, 06/9/07 3:23 PM
My first...(well, perhaps second) girlfriend took a job at the lunch counter at Woolworth's store in Pacific Beach. She wore this cute little turquoise dress with a white collar. Oh, beam me back, Scottie, what couldn't I do with that today?

Big Ugly Mich
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sat, 06/9/07 3:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by eggsactleyAlso Kresge's (sp?) at the Forest Ave.
S.S. Kresge (what the S's stand for is beyond me, but still) was one founder of K-Mart, along with his brother-in-law, Charles Wilson. They still have lunch counters at some K-marts, but the food is pre-cooked, then wrapped in cellophane, so it's just not right.

Jeeves to the rescue! Sebastian Spering Kresge, at least according to http://www.Ask.com. I was wrong about Wilson being a co-founder, though. The original founder, who was bought out by Kresge in 1907, was named John G. McCrory. http://concise.britannica.com/ebc/article-9046232/Sebastian-S.-Kresge

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sat, 06/9/07 4:07 PM
I'm old enough (67) to remember Woolworth's. I loved going there. I don't remember eating hot dogs but, I used get a tuna salad sandwich on white toast (my favorite) and a fountain Coke. Made with syrup and seltzer.The syrup was made with sugar. Not HFCS!

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sat, 06/9/07 4:14 PM
It seems the older I get, the more I cherish the memories of wonderful places in America that are now long gone.
Woolworth's, the Automat, Ebinger's bakery in Brooklyn. Wow! Ebinger's. That could start a whole new topic!

kensandyeggo
  • Total Posts : 567
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Sun, 06/10/07 2:13 AM
Growing up on the south side of Chicago, I remember Woolworth's, Kresge's and Neisner's five and dimes, or more familiarly, "dime-stores."

Been to them hundreds of times with my mom when I was a kid. She was a coffee addict and had to get constant fixes. I can't remember any of the food, except once when I was about 7 years old, we stopped at Woolworth's for mom's fix. It was the middle of winter, so I got a hot chocolate. There weren't many lawyers back then, so they served it at about 800 degrees F. I began telling my mom about something, and without thinking, I picked up the coffee cup with the hot chocolate and took a large gulp. Sumbich!!! I remember crying my little eyes out, because it hurt like nothing I had ever experienced before. A good lesson learned. No permanent damage.

671USA
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Mon, 07/2/07 4:28 AM
I do recall my parents back in the late 60's shopping at Pembroke Mall (Va.Beach) and getting a Woolworth's hot dog. I wasn't much into the various condiments other than ketchup, but the way the bun was toasted and sort of rectangle in shape made for a neat and different tasting hot dog. Anyone know of a place that serves a similar hot dog?

foobuc
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 07/4/07 1:34 PM
i remember eating hot dogs on toasted buns at Woolworths down the shore in Nj where i grew up. Just don't remember what town i was in??? maybe BrickTown? anyone know how to find out where there were Woolworth's?

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Woolworths hot dogs - Wed, 07/4/07 2:16 PM
Pwingsx here on Roadfood turned me onto this site: http://www.reminisce.com/ Brings ya back in time..