How Much Money can one make

Junior Burger
2006/06/03 09:35:51
Looking into the hotdog/concession stand business. We have found a location that we will propose a lease to - $500 per month. Would anybody be willing to tell me what their gross & net income is monthly for a similar type business? We will be selling hot dogs/sausages, soft pretzels, coffee, soda...we will have a pretty general menu for now, offering different types of hot dogs & topping options, etc. Also, is there a hotdog/sausage supplier anybody can recommend? Thanks!
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: How Much Money can one make 2006/06/04 12:31:33

Jaynie,
I sell BBQ but I have a friend who sold hot dogs at our local Lowes store for years. I used some imformation I gained from her in my business plan. Here it is:

PROJECTED PROFIT AND LOSS: Recently we spoke with Donna Cook of Cook Spice Company (Springfield), who was a food-product vendor at Lowe’s (Wabash) for several years. Donna noted that she grossed about the same amount of money at Lowe’s, as she currently makes at her North Grand location. Donna stated that she currently has 13 employees but, while vending at Lowe’s, she had only three employees.
Donna confided in us that she netted more profit with her vending operation, but disliked the daily setup and teardown that a vending operation requires.

PROJECTED CASH FLOW: Donna Cook also related to us that her average daily gross was $700.00. Throughout the summer season, there were occasional days when Lowe’s was exceptionally busy due to expanded advertising or a promotional event; she grossed over $1,100.00 on those days. This is extremely interesting for several reasons: I think it is important to note that Donna left Lowe’s four years ago and average customer checks have increased significantly in the last three years. It is also important to understand that traffic at Lowe’s has increased significantly over the last three years.
There is a considerable difference in the type of vending operation that Donna Cook ran versus the type of operation the Dr. of BBQ will present on the west side. While Donna ran the vending operation at Lowe’s, she served hot dogs and rib-eye steaks. This is not to say hot dogs are not a good moneymaker, they are, and we will offer them as well. However, BBQ offers an equally good profit margin and has a greater demand, especially on Springfield’s West side. Keep in mind that Donna’s business was strictly sandwiches, and that we plan to sell whole slabs of ribs, pulled pork and brisket by the pound. At the same time, our side dishes will be available in various sizes to accommodate individual, family or ‘crowd’ sized orders.

Jaynie, if you'd like a copy of my entire business plan, I'd be happy to share it with you just drop me a note at Jack@DrofBBQ.com