Sick of Salmon...

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
  • Reward points : 0
Sick of Salmon... - Sat, 06/3/06 6:45 PM
I am getting so sick of salmon, I don't know why. I used to love it, seemed even exotic, now its turning up so much all over the place that it's becoming ubiquitous! (Grin) But I really am sick of it. Anyone else?

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Sat, 06/3/06 7:02 PM
Perhaps you are getting sick of it for the same reason it's getting ubiquitous: farmed salmon has become cheap, common and has displaced wild salmon from the market. And farmed salmon is not as good. It's not even pink until they color it (because the fish don't get to eat the critters in the ocean that produce the pigment and probably some of the flavor).

But regardless, it's still one of the only fin fish I really like (along with flounder or sole).

Zman
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Sat, 06/3/06 11:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

I am getting so sick of salmon, I don't know why.

Well, I could be mistaken but it is probably because of all the cheap farmed Atlantic salmon that has been replacing the superior natural wild Alaskan pacific salmon on the market.

BT hit it right on the head! The farmed fish are fed an engineered diet so they all come out uniform in size and color (via DYE in their food )

These farmed fish don't swim for 3 or 4 years in the ocean eating natural food AND don't store up the same kind of good Omega3 fats as wild fish.

ASK your waitperson if the fish is farmed or natural.

Choose the wild stock salmon and I think you will enjoy it again!

RC51Mike
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Sun, 06/4/06 8:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zman

quote:

I am getting so sick of salmon, I don't know why.

Well, I could be mistaken but it is probably because of all the cheap farmed Atlantic salmon that has been replacing the superior natural wild Alaskan pacific salmon on the market.

BT hit it right on the head! The farmed fish are fed an engineered diet so they all come out uniform in size and color (via DYE in their food )

These farmed fish don't swim for 3 or 4 years in the ocean eating natural food AND don't store up the same kind of good Omega3 fats as wild fish.

ASK your waitperson if the fish is farmed or natural.

Choose the wild stock salmon and I think you will enjoy it again!

salsailsa
  • Total Posts : 405
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Sun, 06/4/06 11:26 AM
Hi! I agree with the above posts and would like to add that I have been eating more steelhead trout as an alternative to salmon. I find the flavour better and I think you can more readily get wild steelhead than wild salmon in stores these days. I'm not sure that many restaurants feature it,though?

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17828
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Sun, 06/4/06 12:51 PM
There's another excellent reason to avoid farmed salmon: Mercury and PCBs -- not that the lack of flavor and good fat, and the fact that it's the food pellets that give farmed salmon the color, aren't good enough reasons to avoid it. By the way, an easy tipoff that the Atlantic salmon on menus and in stores is farmed is the "proud" annoucement that it's fresh from Chile. Chile, as most folks know, is on the Pacific Ocean.

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Tue, 06/6/06 8:58 AM
Guys/Girls: That makes sense about the "farm" raised salmon; it does have a no-taste taste. Now, where can I get some nice wild salmon on the East Coast?

dbrandon
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Tue, 06/6/06 9:18 AM
I'll second the steelhead trout. I'd also recommend Arctic Char as another "orange" fish that's a good alternative to salmon.

Dan Brandon,
sensing something fishy

Bulldozer Rectangle
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Tue, 06/6/06 6:33 PM
quote:

Guys/Girls: That makes sense about the "farm" raised salmon; it does have a no-taste taste. Now, where can I get some nice wild salmon on the East Coast?

You will have to search it out, and pay for it accordingly. I live in Houston... not anywhere close to the cold Pacific, but we have it in more upscale grocery stores. Central Market, Whole Foods, various independent seafood market type places. One thing I've heard, if it says "Atlantic," run away. While it may be good quality, the wild atlantic salmon population is way overfished. Stay away.

When I was on the Cape last summer, I bought wild king salmon. You can find it, just maybe not at Stop and Shop, Kroger, and the other prepacked food pimps.

With regards to eating out, again, ask if it's Atlantic salmon. If so, that's not what you're looking for.

Happy eating. Wish I had cheaper news.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Tue, 06/6/06 6:41 PM
I've had so very little of it that I'm just starting to appreciate it if done well.. I've had 2 excellent versions in places I'd never expect.. local steakhouses... one done in Asian fashion and one with a lemon dill sauce..

BT
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Tue, 06/6/06 6:55 PM
Best I ever had was at the restaurant attached to a motel in Pt. Arena, CA:

Although this area of coastline is breathtakingly beautiful, the motel was the only available room for a hundred miles or so up and down the coast, and still had 50's-era orange naugahyde upholstry on everything. I wasn't expecting much in the restaurant but the salmon was amazingly fresh and done with a dill sauce that was wonderful.

BT
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Tue, 06/6/06 10:31 PM

Kiowa1
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Tue, 06/6/06 11:29 PM
Maybe you suffer from Salmonella...

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Wed, 06/7/06 2:14 AM
My grandfother had a boat in Depoe Bay, Oregon and a vacation house near Lincoln City. i ate fresh salmon frequently(even caught a few) and have been spoiled ever since. Farmed salmon is as different from wild salmon as wild turkey is from domesticated turkey. The gamier the taste, the better the eating.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Wed, 06/7/06 10:02 AM
NYNM, I feel the exact same way as you. My wife loves salmon, and buys it all the time. I tell her that I don't care for salmon anymore, so she buys me catfish ot some other fish.

This past week, I ate salmon for the first time in months. I grilled it on my new barbeque grill with generous amounts of Dinosaur BBQ sauce. I think it's the only way I'll ever eat salmon again. Which will probably be another 10 months from now.

Bob in Cary
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Wed, 06/7/06 1:51 PM
I quit eating salmon a couple of years ago. I used to love it. I can't tolerate talipia either.

BT
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Wed, 06/7/06 2:18 PM
I have trouble thinking of Talapia as a real fish. Seems too much like some sort of synthetic "wierd science" creation that should be in a pond in the yard, not on the dinner table (think something with 3 eyes like in The Simpsons):

And when somebody talks of eating catfish, visions of bewiskered fishies eating garbage on the river bottom come to mind.

Sorry, but salmon (which still taste good to me and swim in clean water only--if pollution gets out of hand, they die) still tastes good to me but wild salmon tastes best. And I prefer a white sauce such as dill.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6229
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/8/06 2:42 AM
Zman has been bugging me to put in my 2 cents about salmon. When I was cheffing in Boston there usually was no wild Alaskan salmon, so I went to my fish co. and picked out Atlantic salmon that were either from Scotland or Ireland. At the time (16 years ago) they produced a very good product. Then came the Chilean salmon with all the nonsense and coloring added to the fish. By then I had moved on to Alaska and found wild salmon that we caught, gutted and filleted ourselves. Heaven. Grilled with a little beurre blanc.......especially if it's a Yukon River king salmon! Better than foie gras.

And yes, the other two fish that I have serious issues with are tilapia and Chilean sea bass. They both get shipped to the US frozen. The tilapia tastes like cardboard and looks just like that fish above. The Chilean sea bass gets shipped frozen too.......tastes like an old shoebox.

Unfortunately I realize that wild salmon is not available in most places. Too bad. It is truly a delicate and delicious fish.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/8/06 10:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BT

And when somebody talks of eating catfish, visions of bewiskered fishies eating garbage on the river bottom come to mind.

It's probably the PCPs from the polluted water that gives the catfish its spice. I don't care though, I just cover it with cajon seasoning and blacken it.

RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/8/06 11:00 AM
Fish is third on favorite meat list so while fresh/wild is good, I'll eat salmon or just about any other fish whenever good ribs or sausage are not available.

I'm baking some salmon this afternoon ...covered in italian bread crumbs with a nice garlicky tomato sauce on top. Good eating!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/8/06 11:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Zman has been bugging me to put in my 2 cents about salmon. When I was cheffing in Boston there usually was no wild Alaskan salmon, so I went to my fish co. and picked out Atlantic salmon that were either from Scotland or Ireland. At the time (16 years ago) they produced a very good product. Then came the Chilean salmon with all the nonsense and coloring added to the fish. By then I had moved on to Alaska and found wild salmon that we caught, gutted and filleted ourselves. Heaven. Grilled with a little beurre blanc.......especially if it's a Yukon River king salmon! Better than foie gras.

And yes, the other two fish that I have serious issues with are tilapia and Chilean sea bass. They both get shipped to the US frozen. The tilapia tastes like cardboard and looks just like that fish above. The Chilean sea bass gets shipped frozen too.......tastes like an old shoebox.

Unfortunately I realize that wild salmon is not available in most places. Too bad. It is truly a delicate and delicious fish.

In fact, Chilean Sea Bass is not any species of bass. It is actually a fish known as Patagonian toothfish, or Dissostichus eleginoides. Most of it does not even come from Chilean waters. Most of the toothfish, marketed under the name Chilean Sea Bass because it was assumed no one would buy something called toothfish, comes from the waters around Antarctica.

lleechef
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/8/06 3:17 PM
MH, yes I knew that it is definately NOT part of the bass family, of which I have caught many in the Atlantic, stripers and some large-mouth in the Carolinas, and that the real name was toothfish. They should keep that name! Sometimes we have to buy it for catering and it comes in frozen, when thawed has this nasty texture and smell and I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/8/06 3:44 PM
quote:

MH, yes I knew that it is definately NOT part of the bass family, of which I have caught many in the Atlantic, stripers and some large-mouth in the Carolinas, and that the real name was toothfish. They should keep that name! Sometimes we have to buy it for catering and it comes in frozen, when thawed has this nasty texture and smell and I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole!

I thought chefs were boycotting Chilean sea bass because of the concern over it being overfished.

dbear
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/8/06 4:01 PM
I've been tired of tasteless salmon for some time. The explanations provided here make unfortunate sense. It is possible, for a price, to get reasonably fresh wild pacific salmon in Boston, but it is the exception. One way I have found to deal with this, as real salmon is a favorite, may be heresy to some, but works for me. We have several Trader Joe's outlets in the Boston area. Sometimes they have frozen pacific salmon dressed with a pretty decent cajun spice mix. Although frozen, the fish smells like good clean fish (eg, no smell at all) when thawed, and just has that different taste that fresh pacific salmon has, although not as intense. We usually grill it, although have tried it several ways. The cajun spice is not overpowering and enhances the flavor of the fish.
db

lleechef
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/8/06 4:23 PM
MH, yes that was the trend a couple of years ago. I never did buy the stinkin stuff (except when pressured for catering when they would accept no substitute). Just as a funny FYI, I DID get a letter from the Billfish Foundation in Ft. Lauderdale, yelling at me because I had blue marlin on my special menu for about a week!!! Hey, it was dead, my fishmonger had it so I bought it!

db....we freeze our salmon catch every year. I'm sure Trader Joe's has a quality product as usual.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/8/06 4:50 PM
quote:

MH, yes that was the trend a couple of years ago. I never did buy the stinkin stuff (except when pressured for catering when they would accept no substitute). Just as a funny FYI, I DID get a letter from the Billfish Foundation in Ft. Lauderdale, yelling at me because I had blue marlin on my special menu for about a week!!! Hey, it was dead, my fishmonger had it so I bought it!

db....we freeze our salmon catch every year. I'm sure Trader Joe's has a quality product as usual.

Unless they've since changed the law, it's illegal to sell blue marlin.

lleechef
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/8/06 4:54 PM
I just bought some blue marlin a couple of weeks ago so I guess it's not illegal. I think they can only take the fish from designated areas, like always.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/8/06 5:35 PM
OK. I just checked. There is still a federal law barring the sale of any Atlantic marlin, blue or white. Also prohibited is the sale of sailfish. Pacific blue and white marlin can be sold.

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Tue, 06/27/06 9:24 PM
I spice up big time my salmon with something I bought called Potlach Seasoning from Williams-Sonoma which has salt, black pepper, paprika, chili pepper, oregano,red pepper flakes, basil, and coriander. Very Delicious.

oltheimmer
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Tue, 06/27/06 10:13 PM
quote:

I am getting so sick of salmon, I don't know why. I used to love it, seemed even exotic, now its turning up so much all over the place that it's becoming ubiquitous! (Grin) But I really am sick of it. Anyone else?
I am as sick of catfish as you are of salmon. You can't escape it on menus around here and its all farmed, which means it has a chemical taste. I've sworn off it.

I'm not that sick of salmon yet. I've found some that is labeled 'wild caught' which seems to have better flavor. I wonder what that phrase means? I suppose 'wild caught' does not necessarily mean 'wild raised;' it could still be farmed.

For seasoning, I use a mix I make up from a recipe in a Paul Prudhomme book.

I was at my Dentist's last week and while I didn't learn a darn thing about gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches I did learn about an AYCE catfish fry in Central Texas that serves river or lake cat. I've put it on my agenda to try to make it up there this summer.

tacchino
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Tue, 06/27/06 10:47 PM
What has always bugged me about tilapia, Chilean sea bass, and all their ilk is that they primarily appeal to people who don't like fish that taste "fishy." Now, I know that the term "fishy" can also be used to refer to an off taste, but honestly, I think too many people (here in the US) really don't want to taste anything remotely "fishy." Hence, for someone like me who really likes mackerel, bluefish, etc., these kinds of fish taste as bland as tissue paper. Their appeal is beyond me.

Most salmon I find at least has some semblance of flavor, but I have given up on most fish that I find on menus. A few exceptions: on occasion, I have tasted a nice grouper in Florida, although at times that fish can be too bland for me.

Also, if my father is making cod (baccala) in any way, shape, or form (i.e., in fritters, or cooked with garlic, hot peppers, and oil) all bets are off!

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Wed, 06/28/06 9:36 AM
Ah, Blue Fish, I love it but never see it for sale here in Texas.
Joe

Bulldozer Rectangle
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/29/06 1:50 PM
I wouldn't recommend it. Bluefish is one of those things that doesn't travel well.

ernest_fl
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/29/06 3:30 PM
Having grown up on the Pacific coast in the Northwest (just above the Columbia River on the Long Beach peninsula), I really have been spoiled when it comes to eating salmon, steelhead, and shad. Freshwater catfish were plentiful from rivers and lakes. Bass (large-mouth) and crappie were also plentiful and if you went hungry you just weren't paying attention! We also caught fish out of the surf like flounder, pogies, rock bass and small shark, I think they were nurse shark. We didn't eat the shark but used it for bait. We also caught ling cod by trolling on the Columbia, along with salmon and steelhead, and also a type of sea perch, and spanish mackeral. By now you get the idea that good and edible fish were plentiful from ocean, rivers, streams, and lakes in the area.

I tried the farm-raised salmon and cannot stand it; it is like eating an "imitation" of the real thing; besides, I have read articles about how they are raised and what they are fed, and I decided I don't need to eat the inferior farm-raised variety – their farm environment is polluted and the dyes and chemicals can't be good for you.

The same goes for other farm-raised seafood such as catfish, talapia, trout, and even lobsters. I know the fish-farmers are trying to make a living, but as long as I can obtain the wild variety (the real thing), I will shun the farm output.

There are different ways of preparing salmon and steelhead, and surfing the internet will provide many recipes. I enjoy fish baked, poached, grilled, bbq'd, ROASTED, and fried – also tempura style and shish-kabobed. Have I missed any other ways of preparation? Of course, I also enjoy sushi and sashimi.

I would love to have the salmon at Outback's, but they serve the farm-raised variety which I will not eat.

I enjoy just about any kind of seafood, not just fish. Squid, octopus, abalone, sea urchin, oysters, any variety of clam, shrimp. I even tried the sea cucumber in a Chinese restaurant but didn't care for the texture. Flounder is a big favorite, they practically jumped on the hook when surf fishing. Shad and smelt out of the river and streams were great eating, especially the shad roe. I never could bring myself to eating the roe of salmon or steelhead, but I do enjoy black caviar. Some people even ate the sperm of male salmon but not me.

I worked on the old haul-seine fishing grounds on the Columbia when a young lad, for 2 or 3 years, driving a team of horses to pull in the tail end of the net. Plenty of salmon, steelhead and shad. Lots of eel that had died after spawning – could never eat them, although I enjoy sushi made from smoked eel. I also enjoyed more than my share of smoked and kippered fish like salmon, steelhead, smelt, tuna, and sturgeon. Surgeon were plentiful back then; the smaller ones about 3-4' were the best... pan-fried sturgeon steak for any meal was common fare. Now sturgeon are on the endangered list.

I think this post is already too long, so I better stop.

oltheimmer
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 06/29/06 4:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldozer Rectangle

I wouldn't recommend it. Bluefish is one of those things that doesn't travel well.
I had it here once - at least it was labeled bluefish. Got it at Albertson's when they were here. They had the best seafood department of any supermarket near me but otherwise I don't miss 'em.

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Wed, 10/25/06 9:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael HoffmanBy the way, an easy tipoff that the Atlantic salmon on menus and in stores is farmed is the "proud" annoucement that it's fresh from Chile. Chile, as most folks know, is on the Pacific Ocean.

So's Alaska. So's Seattle (well, the salmon is). As long as it's cold water salmon, what more can you ask for?

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Wed, 10/25/06 10:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

quote:
Originally posted by Michael HoffmanBy the way, an easy tipoff that the Atlantic salmon on menus and in stores is farmed is the "proud" annoucement that it's fresh from Chile. Chile, as most folks know, is on the Pacific Ocean.

So's Alaska. So's Seattle (well, the salmon is). As long as it's cold water salmon, what more can you ask for?

The point is, Atlantic salmon from Chile is farmed salmon. And that's unhealthy.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 10/26/06 2:50 PM
I am not sure I understand the debate here??? Chile is located on the Pacific Ocean. How can Salmon that comes from Chile be Atlantic Salmon? Would they not be Pacific Salmon based on their residence?? Inquiring Minds want to know??

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Thu, 10/26/06 3:25 PM

Salmon stays on most all menus as the farm raised stuff maintains its price and doesn't fluctuate.
Many owners of the -average- restaurant are not so particular about its taste. I blame the owners as they hire 'kitchen managers' who only are able to follow what the owner wants and have no ability to make decisions based on availability and food cost.
You can get fileted sides with the pinbones removed. What is worse is what I have seen where the individual filet is cryovaced and no preperation is needed. There are other fish that are sealed this way too. It's sad...

The things that are done with fish causes me to keep the thought that you do not order sushi in Nebraska.

mark

GCD1962
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Sun, 10/29/06 9:07 PM
If you ate quality Salmon (read wild Alaska) you wouldn't tire of it. The farmed stuff is mostly all garbage. In fact, close to 25% off it never makes it to market because when the fish is gutted and opened up it is totally unappealing and is rejected by buyers. I have been purchasing wild, line caught King Salmon from a place in Sitka, Alaska. It's all graded to the highest standards. I have them fly it in fresh when available (along with fresh halibut). You can't gvet is fresher! It's caught, landed, graded and packed and fedex. In less than 20 hrs I get the shipment from when it's shipped from Sitka, Alaska to me in CT. The cost surprisingly is only a few dollars more per pound that what you would pay for week's old fish anywhere else on the east coast. Some of the farm raised salmon sold as "atlantic salmon" acutally comes from Chili and is more technically a type of trout rather than a true salmon!

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Sun, 10/29/06 11:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Ah, Blue Fish, I love it but never see it for sale here in Texas.
Joe

I would recommend Kingfish but, you would probably have to go down to the gulf coast and fish for it yourself.

NebGuy
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Sick of Salmon... - Mon, 10/30/06 1:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by doggydaddy

The things that are done with fish causes me to keep the thought that you do not order sushi in Nebraska.

mark

Someone forgot to tell Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick
http://www.sushiomaha.com/background.htm