Hot!What are you reading?

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 26
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/09 22:19:36
chewingthefat

Custer, by Larry McMurtry, short book, many photos and paintings, great read, Custer was an arrogant ass, evidentally!
Lord we screwed the Native Americans!!

We sure did.  Just awful.  I read The Last Days of the Sioux Nation (Utley), which told plenty about that.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/10 13:02:21
Anyone now rushing out to buy and read All In by Paula Broadwell?
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/10 14:22:24
Just finished "Breakdown" , a mystery by Sara Paretsky, featuring one of my favorite characters V. I Warshaawski. V.I. is a female philip marlowe, a tough realist who rights wrongs in a fearless way but who has the outlook of a 21st century woman. Paretsky is a good writer and I like her plots and her perspective. It is always a fun read for me.
post edited by mr chips - 2012/12/04 23:06:47
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/10 16:48:48
50 pages into, "The Panther", Nelson DeMille, Husband and Wife team of badasses hunting a terrorist, the panther, in Yemen, so far so great, a plus is it's also long but reads fast!!
BelleReve
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/11 11:54:21
David McCullough's,  the Greater Journey: Americans in Paris.  Our book club is reading this, and for some reason, I kept put putting it off, but once I started, I couldn't put in down, fascinating, and what amazing details he was able to gleam.    
love2bake
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/11 12:43:11
Davydd

Heh heh--not yet.  You?
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/11 12:52:59
love2bake

Davydd

Heh heh--not yet.  You?

This is sooooo sad, what an amazing fall from grace.... I do feel for him, his wife and family more so!

love2bake
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/12 22:25:16
chewingthefat

love2bake

Davydd

Heh heh--not yet.  You?

This is sooooo sad, what an amazing fall from grace.... I do feel for him, his wife and family more so!

I agree with you 100%.  And Broadwell is a piece of work. (That's the nicest thing I can say about her.)  Her family must be miserable, as well.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/13 18:56:21
I've been reading The New Annotated Dracula recently. I'm loving the footnotes just as much as the story itself. One footnote talked about the way the bicycle changed English society, especially for women, who could now venture further out to find employment. Before the bicycle, job seekers were limited to jobs close to where they lived, as they couldn't afford daily carriage rides. Not something I'd ever thought about before, though it makes sense.

On audiobook, I just finished listening to One Shot by Lee Child. I've listened to three or four Reacher novels in the last couple months. I like them a lot but one thing that annoys me about Lee Child is he sometimes drags out the climaxes of his book. Example: In one book, Reacher shoots a bunch of armed people using a gun with a limited amount of ammo, then steps over all their bodies without bothering to grab any of their weapons. Surprise! - the bad guys then get the drop on him. A really great knife fight ensues, but it felt like Child was having Reacher act uncharacteristically dumb to get there in the story.  One Shot wasn't like that though. Apparently it's the novel the upcoming Jack Reacher movie starring Tom Cruise is most based on. Tom Cruise doesn't really resemble Reacher in any way. Reacher fans, who would you have cast in a Jack Reacher movie?

ces1948
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/14 00:45:36
Just finished "The Confession" by Grisham. It was quite a page turner and I enjoyed much more than his latest book "The Racketeer"
love2bake
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/15 10:27:08
FriedClamFanatic

Just finished Bob Woodwards "Price of Politics".............sorry......it was the scariest thing I have read in a decade!.........I'm wondering if ANYONE in DC.....on either side of the fence.........know what they are doing anymore except getting great pensions and their 15 minutes of power and fame

Sounds very interesting!  The scariest political type book I ever read was "Open Target" by Clark Kent Ervin, that showed horrifying gaps in our national security programs/systems.  Every chapter revealed more awful things we should have a handle on, but don't.  And for sure, our enemies read this stuff, too.  Ugh.
Michigander
Hamburger
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/16 11:18:05
I bought a set of three books as Christmas gifts for my brother in law, and got them early enough to be able to finish them first myself. They are a series of books by Tom Cotter, starting with The Cobra in the Barn, followed by The Hemi in the Barn, and The Corvette in the barn. These books chronicle his lifetime passion of hunting down abandoned and forgotten classic and muscle cars. I think most car guys dream of finding and acquiring a long forgotten classic, but this guy lives it. A lot of short stories, but great inspiration for those of us still clinging to the hope that these treasures are still out there.

He also has a similar series for motorcycles that I have not seen yet, but is on my list.
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/16 12:45:28
Just started The Last Man, Vince Flynn, nuff said!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/16 19:03:13
Hey Tom, A New WEB Griffin HONOR BOUND Series will be out on Dec. 1. Cletus Frade and the Argentines are not dead yet !!!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/17 11:31:26
I'm about midway through a self-published novel available on Amazon.com Kindle books for $0.99. It is J. P. Butterfield's, Blessed are the Peace Frogs about a night time talk radio guy, Mac in the night.
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/17 12:55:03
mayor al

Hey Tom, A New WEB Griffin HONOR BOUND Series will be out on Dec. 1. Cletus Frade and the Argentines are not dead yet !!!

I'll get mine at Costco Al, the book buyers there always carry Griffen's
  books, as you probably know! Cheaper than Amazon!

mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/22 21:14:24
Just finished "The impeachment of Abraham Lincoln" by stephen Carter. Professor Carter teaches at Yale Law School and posits a past when Andrew johnson is assassinated and lincoln survives, only to run into trouble with the Radical Republicans who try to I'mpeach him for his actions during and after the Civil War. it is a fun book and i have always enjoyed these what ifs. Recommended for those who like such works,. And Mr. Carter is a fine writer.

post edited by mr chips - 2012/12/04 23:07:18
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/23 05:42:45
I just re-read "of Mice and Men" . Ces-will buy the new Grisham at your advice.....
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/24 16:30:48
Just finished "Restless in the Grave" by Dana Stabenow. Ms. Stabenow is an Alaskan writer who has created Kate Shugak, a memorable private detective who embodies Alaska virtues and is a strong female character,imbued with a strong Alaskan flavor. I'm catching up on my Shugak mysteries.
post edited by mr chips - 2012/12/04 23:08:16
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/25 09:37:36
"Killing Lincoln" and "Killing Kennedy" are long-running NYT and LAT best sellers for a reason:  both are informative, insightful, and vastly entertaining.

For those among us who are "put off" by the fact that the featured author is a FNC "opinion host":  truly, you are depriving yourself of two great reads. 

These books are not "political" in any way, manner, shape, or form - unless, of course, you disagree with the proposition that the loss of these men was unfortunate and tragic.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/25 17:10:04
But according to several respected reviewers(NYT) ,killing Lincoln is loaded with inaccuracies.....I don't know about the other...and I AM put off by the man...so I will get my history from historians!
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/26 20:59:49
Just finished "The Civil War:  A Narrative" By Shelby Foote.  Since this is the 150th anniversary of the War of Northern Aggression.
I am also rereading "The Hobbit" just in time for the release of the movie in December.

"Where the Sidewalk Ends"
"Falling Up"
"A Light in the Attic"
"A Giraffe and a Half"
Can you tell my son found Shel Silverstein
ces1948
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/26 21:24:00
I'm now about halfway through "Blue Highways" which I've seen in bookstores forever but never picked up. I guess you could say it's kind of a 1970's travelog about a trip on the on the small roads and towns of the USA. In particular interest is the authors search for "4 calendar cafes"
He doesn't really though get too involved in the food aspect of traveling around preferring to focus on the people he meets along the way.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/26 22:48:01
Blue Highways is the book that helped turn me into a roadfooder
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/27 10:06:09
I read Blue Highways way back when it came out. It was a great inspiration. We have put over 100,000 miles on those highways in the past 7 years.

By the way, the earlier book, Travels With Charley by John Steinbeck, I learned yesterday was just a work of fiction. Steinbeck really never did that travel.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/27 11:03:45
CajunKing

Just finished "The Civil War:  A Narrative" By Shelby Foote.  Since this is the 150th anniversary of the War of Northern Aggression.
I am also rereading "The Hobbit" just in time for the release of the movie in December.

"Where the Sidewalk Ends"
"Falling Up"
"A Light in the Attic"
"A Giraffe and a Half"
Can you tell my son found Shel Silverstein

Have loved Shel Silverstein since i found out he wrote " A Boy Named Sue"
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/27 23:33:11
Just finished William kent Kreuger's "Trickster's Point", 11th in a series of crime novels featuring Cork O'Connor, a former police chief and current pirate investigator in the fictional Minnesota Iron Range town of Aurora. Krueger's O'Connor is interesting as his characters age and change in real time. O'Connor's character seems to have the jessica fletcher effect on his town and those close to hhim and in this book someone calls him on it. The books are more philosophical in nature now but they are still very good reads and they deal with issues of race, class and interpersonal relations in thoughtful and intelligent ways. Start with the first in the series and read it through. I don't think you will be diappointed.And thanks to roadfooder Davydd for introducing me to this character.
post edited by mr chips - 2012/12/06 00:40:15
tmiles
RE: What are you reading? 2012/11/28 15:33:27
I just returned The Fighting 69th, a book that I saw on a special Veterans Day table at the library. It is , perhaps, the most storied unit in the New York National Guard.........a movie by the same name was a big hit for James Cagney. It's staff is a foot taller than any other Army unit, by congressional order, to make room for all the awards.

The unit had fallen on hard times but thankfully, some years of new leadership had it ready for 911. The commander, although threatened with court martial, mobilized the unit, without authorization, before the second plane hit.

A few years later, they went on to do great work in Iraq.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2012/11/29 14:00:58
A wonderful gentleman opened three huge bookstore in Los Angeles and Long Beach.  Every book in all three stores are only $1 each whether hard back, paper back or brand new.  It was always his dream to be able to afford everyone books to read.  Wish I knew his name because he's a hero.

I picked up eight Stewart Woods brand new hard back books.

Many years ago I read his Palindrome and loved it. 

I'm now reading Beverly Hills Dead.

Can't wait to go back there and buy the rest of his books.  I will donate back those I've finished reading.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2012/11/29 17:22:26
We have independent bookstores in the Twin Cities owned by Louise Erdrich, National Book Awards winner this year for, The Round House and Garrison Keillor (Prairie Home Companion show).
Re:What are you reading? 2012/11/30 12:13:32
mar52

A wonderful gentleman opened three huge bookstore in Los Angeles and Long Beach.  Every book in all three stores are only $1 each whether hard back, paper back or brand new.  It was always his dream to be able to afford everyone books to read.  Wish I knew his name because he's a hero.

I picked up eight Stewart Woods brand new hard back books.

Many years ago I read his Palindrome and loved it. 

I'm now reading Beverly Hills Dead.

Can't wait to go back there and buy the rest of his books.  I will donate back those I've finished reading.

Mar, I've read all of his books...I want to be Stone Barrington!

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/03 18:16:25
I just finished my second self-published Kindle e-book, Honor O'Flynn, A Search for the True Will of God by James Baily. It can best be described as a Christian historical romance novel, which is something I thought I would never read in my life. Why? It is based on true characters, Honora O'Flynn, a kidnapped lass from County Derry, Ireland transported to Annapolis, Maryland in 1702 and eventually wed to William Logsdon, a former indentured servant from England then free and in search of a wife. The struggle was her desire to return to Ireland to be a Catholic nun. They were my seventh great grandparents. The book is fiction based on some rudimentary facts. Eventually their descendants were the first Catholics in Kentucky.

This is not the first historical novel of my ancestors that emigrated to America. I also found, while in Wales, an obscure book by Marion Eames titled, Fair Wilderness originally published in Welsh and then in English in 1976. It is about William Penn's Quaker Welsh Settlement (near Philadelphia). My ancestors, Robert Owen and Jane Vaughan, were principal characters in the book along with Rowland Ellis, the founder of Bryn Mawr College. They all emigrated from Dolgellau, Wales as persecuted Quakers. They were earlier in a book by Marion Eames titled, The Secret Room, about Quaker meetings in defiance of the King in Dolgellau. Robert Owen, was a prominent man, former governor of Beaumaris, Wales, who suffered many years in jail for his Quaker beliefs.

My ancestry came together eventually with the Owen and Logsdon families marrying into my Stovall ancestors in the wilderness of Kentucky. All three branches arrived in Kentucky sometime prior to 1791 when the first tax rolls were taken and published.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/04 14:48:47
Stop...you're killing me.

by James Leo Herlihy.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/04 17:43:22
Currently reading F. Paul Wilson's "The Lanague Chronicles". Nice science fiction with a philosophical bent.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/05 10:38:02
mr chips

Finished "Trickster's Point" by William Kent Krueger. The latest Cork O'Connor mystery about  a former sheriff and current p'I. in the fictional Iron Range town of Aurora, Minnesota. Always an interesting read with a great deal to say about culture and human relations. Mr. O'Connor seems to be a magnet for mayhem but I have found the character to be one I enjoy following.

That's a problem for mystery series set in rural areas and small towns. Would you want to live in Aurora, Saddlestring or Cabot's Cove with all the yearly murder and mayhem?
love2bake
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/05 15:15:48
I've enjoyed the Steve Jobs biography a lot more than I thought I would.  While it's been fun for me because it's about stuff in my "stomping grounds," there's also some wisdom in it--about how he thought, what he believed was important and why, and how he controlled things (maniacally, for sure). He was such a game changer in personal computers, music, and animated film.  He accomplished what he truly wanted, which was to change the world.  He really was not about the pursuit of money and things, as some might imagine.  I expect if he'd lived longer, the iPhone 5 would not have been released with a flawed mapping app!

Next up, a Christmas novel--one of my favorite things to do during the holidays.
jman
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/05 16:41:26
"The Joy Of Hate: How To Triumph Over Whiners In The Age Of Phoney Outrage" by Greg Gutfeld
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/05 16:46:26
Just began Lucid Interview.... Stuart Woods

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/05 17:21:26

...in Latin.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/05 18:47:00
Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power, by Rachel Maddow
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/05 19:23:19
Just finished "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S. C. Gwynne.

About to start "Appetite for America" by Stephen Fried.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/06 00:54:18
Davydd

mr chips

Finished "Trickster's Point" by William Kent Krueger. The latest Cork O'Connor mystery about  a former sheriff and current p'I. in the fictional Iron Range town of Aurora, Minnesota. Always an interesting read with a great deal to say about culture and human relations. Mr. O'Connor seems to be a magnet for mayhem but I have found the character to be one I enjoy following.

That's a problem for mystery series set in rural areas and small towns. Would you want to live in Aurora, Saddlestring or Cabot's Cove with all the yearly murder and mayhem?

One of my favorite "Murder She Wrote" episodes was one where a D.A. mentioned how many murders Jessica and her nephew  Grady had been involved in to cast aspersions on their character. And the Park in Alaska in the shugak mysteries is another very lethal community.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/06 01:03:21
Have just finished three Dana Stabenow kate Shugak mysteries," A Grave Denied"," A Taint in the Blood, " and " A Deeper Sleep" . The citizens of the park are facing their usual problems of murder and violence and local Kate shugak, a woman tougher than Alaska's frontier landscape, is doing her best to bring wrongdoers to justice. The tangled weave of impersonal relationships and family gives these tales  great power. once you become acquainted with these characters, you will want to read these tales.
post edited by mr chips - 2012/12/06 23:43:16
mar52
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/06 01:51:31
Chewy, The book I'm now reading is a Stone Barrington novel and it's you I see when I'm reading it. 
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/06 05:20:35
Root-Beer Man

Currently reading F. Paul Wilson's "The Lanague Chronicles". Nice science fiction with a philosophical bent.

F. Paul Wilson is our family doctor. A practicing doctor and a best selling author. He makes me feel inadequate. While being sick is never good, when I go to his office, I can talk his latest books, and being an English teacher, it's fun to chat literature. If you have not tried them, read his Repairman Jack series. Read about it here: www. repairmanjack.com
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/06 07:39:18
CCinNJ

...in Latin.

Looking back, the more valuable high school courses I ever took were my two years of Latin.  They enabled me to "kill" the SAT's and, later, the GRE's and I actually made money going to college and graduate school!  

Dead language, my a$$:  Latin is the key to 'educated' English and makes learning Romance languages (Spanish, French, and Italian) a "snap".

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/06 08:24:52
I am reading a Stone Barrington mystery right now-Dead in D.C. Love those books!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/06 11:08:30
I just ordered the latest of the Clancy and Griffin Novels. Jack Ryan is the President again, and Cletus Frade is fighting Peron and Nazi-Survivalists in Post-WW II Argentina...Good Holiday reading, if they arrive in time. Griffin's won't be released til January 3rd...so it will be my New Years activity.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/06 11:17:06
River of Lakes - Bill Belleville.

It is about the St. John's river in Florida.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/06 12:36:04
leethebard

F. Paul Wilson is our family doctor. A practicing doctor and a best selling author. He makes me feel inadequate. While being sick is never good, when I go to his office, I can talk his latest books, and being an English teacher, it's fun to chat literature. If you have not tried them, read his Repairman Jack series. Read about it here: www. repairmanjack.com 

I am incredibly jealous! I've been in love with the Repairman Jack books for years!

I keep meaning to update this thread with what I'm reading, but I seriously go through a book every 1-2 days and it's kinda hard to keep up. Since I went to the library on Monday, I've read Stephen King's A Wind Through the Keyhole, John Grisham's The Racketeer, and am halfway through John Sandford's Sudden Prey.
love2bake
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/06 13:19:27
Okay, Stone Barrington fans--please recommend one of these books for a beginner.
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/06 14:46:25
mar52

Chewy, The book I'm now reading is a Stone Barrington novel and it's you I see when I'm reading it. 

How very nice, I can only wish...time for a Knob Creek with Dino!
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/06 14:50:43
love2bake

Okay, Stone Barrington fans--please recommend one of these books for a beginner.

Go back to some of Stuart Woods first books, work forward, as they are all somewhat tied together, the Carachters I mean, all plots completely different, very fast reads, sad when I finish each book, can't wait for his next one, Woods good for 2 or 3 a year!
mar52
Sirloin
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/06 15:06:47
If you can find Palindrome by Staurt Woods although not a Stone Barrington book, it's still my favorite.

Here's the checklist.  They're all good.

http://www.stuartwoods.co.checklist/checklist.html
love2bake
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/06 22:34:11
Thanks, chewing and mar!  I'll get one of the first Stone Barrington books. :)  I'll also get Palindrome, and wow--that's some list of Stuart Woods books!  Thanks, again.
mbrookes
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/10 14:50:44
I'm in the middle of Full Black by Brad Thor. The hero, Harvath, is the Jason Bourne for post 9/11.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/10 15:33:44
Since last post, I finished the Sandford, and read Paranoia by Joseph Finder, Sense of Evil by Kay Hooper, Hell's Gate by Stephen Frey, and Revenge of Innocents by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg.

I don't recommend anything by Rosenberg...every time I pick up one of her books I remember why I told myself not to. The plot lines are ridiculous (and virtually identical in every book), she can't spell, she has an awfully  hard time using the right words for things, and her editor doesn't fix any of that.

The Prey novels by John Sandford, though, I highly recommend! You don't have to read them in order, although they do follow an ongoing story line with the characters so you might want to. They're all well-written and fast-paced, and always have some kind of twist or unexpected conclusion that makes them even better.
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/10 16:56:51
mbrookes

I'm in the middle of Full Black by Brad Thor. The hero, Harvath, is the Jason Bourne for post 9/11.

I love Brad Thor books, a Vince Flynn twin!

BelleReve
Re:What are you reading? 2012/12/11 17:08:01
The Delta Queen Cookbook by Cynthia LeJene Nobles, fascinating history on the steamboat cruise ship, with some delicious looking recipes.  And, The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny, the first time for me reading any of her works, but so far am really enjoying it. 

easydoesit
Cheeseburger
RE: What are you reading? 2012/12/11 17:11:17
Davydd

mr chips

I've spent many a moon in the Twin Cities, working for two different railroads, but I never dreamed there were so many serial killers or stone cold maniacs there until reading the John Sandford novels.  Now I wonder what I was doing, driving down those streets in the wee hours.

I think Lucas needs to pull in Virgil Flowers.  Now there's a cop.

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 26