Mexican Beer Cocktail...

Filet Mignon
2006/06/19 22:38:32
Had a great "Mexican Beer Cocktail" in a upscale Mexican restaurant yesterday. It was made with Mexican beer (Corona, I think),lime juice, tabasco, worstershire and served in a cold glass rimmed in salt (ala Margaritas). It was delicious! Better 'n Bloody Mary. Refreshing! The waiter said it was a typical street drink in Mexico City, but I never heard of it before. ....Comments?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/19 23:03:13
The ones I had in Mexico had your fixin's plus half tomato juice. It too was tasty.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/19 23:51:09
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

The ones I had in Mexico had your fixin's plus half tomato juice. It too was tasty.

Reading the first post, I was thinking, "Why not add tomato juice?"

NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/20 09:50:44
Sure, tomato juice, good idea. But the surprising thing was how good it was, as is! I think I will make it at home. Ole!
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/20 12:43:26
My dad used to drink those here in Texas, back in the 50s, when I was a kid. He called it a bloody beer. I had forgoten about them, gotta have one soon! It had the tomato juice. I think I will also try it without. Thanks for the reminder NYNM!
Joe
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/22 12:23:20
Do you think Spicey V8 or regular V8 would be good also? I don't like to wreck beer, but this sounds good, light beer with those other flavors....
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/22 15:08:58

I have done the Spicy V8/BloodyMary Mix with beer over the years as a summer drink in place of the stronger Bloody Mary. I like them. Put'em in a Slurpee Cup and forget the salted rim. (About 48 oz is a good size)
pdxyyz
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/22 15:29:42
Use Mott's Clamato.
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/22 16:08:46
Sounds like what we call a "red beer".. the guys all loved it.. but I only drink "girl drinks"
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/22 16:41:25

Jennifer,
That's the name we know it by also. I am not sure if that is a regional name (SoCal?) or if it is widespread.
It does make for nice company on the porch on those desert-sunset evenings...now those steamy-thunderboomer evenings overlooking the orchard.

Any excuse is a good excuse!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/22 22:14:25
Yes, yes, but remember the initial recipe is not red, does not have tomato juice. Just beer, lime, salt and spices. The margarita salt part was "wow"!This is what surprised me, because I can imagine "Bloody Beer" but "Spicy, Salty Beer" is something else. It is a little like Rio Grande Chile Beer that the sell in (New) Mexico: just like what is says: beer with chile.
hobomojo
Junior Burger
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/25 21:52:32
The answer you seek is....Michelada Cubana. A Michelada is with lemon or lime juice in a rim-salted glass. The Michelada Cubana adds the tobasco etc. The version with sangrita (any of the tomato based juices) has a name too, it just escapes me at the moment.
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/25 21:58:33
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Had a great "Mexican Beer Cocktail" in a upscale Mexican restaurant yesterday. It was made with Mexican beer (Corona, I think),lime juice, tabasco, worstershire and served in a cold glass rimmed in salt (ala Margaritas). It was delicious! Better 'n Bloody Mary. Refreshing! The waiter said it was a typical street drink in Mexico City, but I never heard of it before. ....Comments?

Sounds great. Would love to try it. Can you give me an idea on the portions of the parts?
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/25 22:24:29
quote:
Originally posted by Coastal Southern

quote:

Sounds great. Would love to try it. Can you give me an idea on the portions of the parts?

I heard about this a couple of years ago and tried it at home but didn't have a recipe. Very popular in cantinas and tacquerias around here and moving in to other venues.

Here's a link to a recipe:

http://gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_michelada.htm

There's also an article in Wikipedia about the Michelada.

O.L.
hobomojo
Junior Burger
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/25 22:28:21
In Mexico, each bar does it a bit different. The basic is about two dashes of Tabasco and one of Worcestershire over which you poor your beer (regular or dark). Some folks add fresh cracked black pepper, some places soy sauce, fancy places might have a special salt mixture to highlight the rim of the glass. There's pre-mix you can find in grocery stores there (and I suspect Lat Am groceries here too).

As always....".season to taste". Have fun experimenting to find your favorite.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/06/26 06:00:03
Over in England at one time it was very common to put some tomato juice in their warm beer. I think it was called a red eye. They also put ginger ale in their beer also. Back about 25 years ago there was a beverage craze around here called a Moscow Mule a ginger type beer served with ? in copper mugs. That went by the boards like all the other fads. Just give me a good old fashioned beer and I'm very happy. Chow Jim
minnow
Junior Burger
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/07/12 15:49:45
quote:

Its a michilada popular drink in south texas. i dont have a recipe i just flavor to taste. I use salt,key lime, Worcestershire sauce
tobasco(habanero flavor)and celery salt and pepper and most important clamato juice. no beer in particular i usualy use Busch 16oz
johns72604
Hamburger
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/07/12 16:39:09
The one time I had it, I thought that it was gross. I am not sure if I just had a bad one or if I just dont like them.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Mexican Beer Cocktail... 2006/07/12 17:01:15
How about mixing in a little of that typical Mexican item- chocolate?
It certainly couldn't be any worse than that awful concoction, lovingly described, by people I would have thought knew better, in its many guises and alieses.

Yuk

Cheers, John