What do you bring back home with you?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 91
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
  • Reward points : 0
What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 3:46 PM
Many of us live far away from where we grew up, or we have a special vacation spot that we go to again and again. Which unavailable items do you buy a case of to keep on hand until your next trip?

Whenever I'm back south, I buy a couple cases of Ranch Style Beans and Pioneer Country Gravy, and when I'm back home in Texas, I resolve to eat as many Mrs. Baird's cherry pies as I can.

I've often thought that a website like this should have a section where people can trade Mail Food. Like, "I'll send you a couple of packages of J.J. Nissen New England-style frankfurter rolls if you send me two loaves of Texas Toast."

muzzlehatch
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 3:58 PM
BEER. I'm a hard-core maltophile and hopshead and I've tried around 1100 beers, 75% of them American micro/regionals. The selecion I can get here in N Vermont is pretty pathetic and needless to say I've long ago exhausted all but the occasional new local seasonal, so when I visit friend or family in CT, Chicago, WI or Minneapolis, it's liquor stores I hit up first. Most of my regional favorite foods just won't survive long car trips (Chi stuffed pizza & hot dogs, Milwaukee brats) and the beer is really what I can't do without. But I really do want to get some Corr's Ginseng Rush soda the next time I'm in Chicago if it's still available. And I'd be willing to trade my last bottle of Shelburne Orchards Ginger Jack for it, too.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15075
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 4:03 PM
On our trips from Louisville to the West Coast, we try to pick up a case of Shiner's Boch at a store in one of the states where they sell it (not Indiana or Kentucky). We happened to think of it recently in Amarillo but it was Sunday Morning, and we couldn't buy it before noon (Texas didn't want us going to church under the influence?) Continuing West, as soon as we crossed into New Mexico we found a store...but had changed a time zone and had to wait 15 minutes til noon their time to be able to stock up. BTW Indiana has a no sale at all on Sunday, and Kentucky also won't let you get it before noon...I guess I was spoiled by SoCal where every grocery seems to be open 24 hours and sales are sales !!
We used to stop in Lincoln City Oregon at a place on the south side of town that made outstanding Beef Jerky..Don't know if it still there, but will check on our next trip.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13405
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 4:42 PM
When I go through Cincinatti, I always stop at Gold Star Chili, get a couple of three way hot dogs and several cans of Cincinatti chili.

When I am in Lafayette, Louisiana, I alwasy pick up about a dozen bags of Mello Joy Coffee. Lafayette is the only city I have been able to buy it.

If I am driving in southern Louisiana, close to the canals to the Gul of Mexico, I get a cooler with ice and bring home a dozen pounds of shrimp. If I have the room, I like to get a bushel of unshucked oysters and if they are in season, I get a bunch of mud bugs.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 5:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

...We happened to think of it recently in Amarillo but it was Sunday Morning, and we couldn't buy it before noon (Texas didn't want us going to church under the influence?)

That's right, Mr. Mayor. We frown upon going to church "under the influence". We like to wait until Sunday Dinner (lunch) to start drinkin'.

This is a great topic, Lucky. These days it's so easy to find those "favorites" to order on the Internet, though. Kind of takes the "romance" out when you order it delivered, doesn't it?

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 5:35 PM
When we go down near the Indian River in Florida, I always have to stop at the smaller orange grove gift shops and stock up on those plastic suckers that screw into the top of oranges to give out to visiting kids at home (keeping 1 or 2 for me too). Now that I think about it, the reason they’re probably not available anywhere else is because their design really is a choking hazard. I also get jars of tangerine and temple orange marmalade. Then we go to a little convenience store and get plastic jugs of that mustardy-vinegary-black peppery Carolina sauce that my husband loves on pork because there is nothing – and I mean nothing - like that here in PA. For years before they were available in the Northeast, I used to tote cases of Bush’s baked beans back with me from Florida too.

The two things I am always taking and sending from here to other parts of the country are TastyCakes and dried marrow beans, which make the most wonderful bean soup. It’s strange because most of them are now grown in California but rarely sold there.

Sundancer7
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 5:46 PM
RubyRose, I am a fan of Bush's baked beans also. I use them with my baked beans everytime. I get them with onions, molasses and a few other goodies.

Bush's has a cannery in Newport, TN which is a notorious town off I-40 east of Knoxville. They were the car stealing, dope selling, chicken fighting, illegal gambling and a few other trades that I will not mention capital of Tennessee. I guess the Bush plant adds some gas to fuel that type of energy.

Walmart sells them here, but probably not everywhere else.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 7:06 PM
New Orleans: Coffee

Back East: Devil Dogs

Canada: Salt and Vinegar chips (stronger than the ones in the USA), REAL Cadbury (again, different formula), Smarties, Floral gums, and a coconut cookie called Ruffles.

England: More Cadbury, weird potato chips like "chicken and stuffing", and OXO vegetable gravy granules.

pigface
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 7:10 PM
Difficult thread ...
Lobsters last time in Boston / New England
Driving back thru Canadian Customs "What's in the Cooler ?" ... "36, What ?"
Sam Adams Beer when it was only available in New England, and came sealed in six pack boxes, before anyone had microbrewing ... Always distract the customs officers with the lobsters ...

meowzart
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 7:30 PM
When I go home to S. Cent. PA, it is Smittie's Soft Pretzels, potato chips, and sugar cakes (with or without chocolate chips).

My husband and I LOVE to go to the Niagara peninsula in Canada. We always try to bring home some peaches from there. I've had good peaches before, but never NEVER as good as these.

I once also brought back some burgoo (sp?) from Kentucky. It was fabulous. Nothing like that around here.

And of course, we love going to N. California and always come home with lots of wine. Gotta carry it back because of the shipping laws here in MD.

Meowzart

Sundancer7
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 7:35 PM
We are fortunate in East Tennessee as we have the Mayfield's dairy. I always buy several gallons of the wonderful ice cream and take to my brother in Minneapolis as it is not available there.

The last time I did this was prior to 9/11.

I am not sure they will let me ship with dry ice any longer.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

goldsborscht
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 8:02 PM
Olive salad from New Orleans. Fried pies from Tennessee.

Sundancer7
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 8:54 PM
What kind of fried pies from Tennnessee?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

BigGlenn
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 9:33 PM
Last Trip home to Pine Bluff Arkansas, I bought back 6 Dozen of Irish Maid Donuts 2 Plain and 4 Chocolate Cream Filled. Two Quart Jars of Arthur's BBQ Sauce. One Broke and made a mess in my suitcase. I also brought back a Cast Iron Corn Bread Stick Pan. Two commemorative bricks from the old high school along with 4 High school annuals. There were also a few more souvenirs and clothing. Suitcase weighed 95 Pounds! I had to Pay $20.00 extra for the suitcase. The Airport screeners at Memphis started to give me a Hard time. But they did their job, poked, prodded, scanned for explosives and sent me on my way.
Next time I ship the stuff, except for the food of course!

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 9:45 PM
Orange blossom honey, grits, grapefruit, and corn meal from Florida, cheap alcohol from New Hampshire, wine from the Finger Lakes, and great memories of good food from all along the road...

goldsborscht
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 10:14 PM
Sundancer, can't remember the brand. We used to have them in SoCal. None in NY. Bought a dozen for my friends. Peach. They were at every convenience store between Nashville and Johnson City.

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Fri, 06/27/03 10:26 PM
I have a suitcase that is about half regular size. On my trip out at various times it has been filled with containers of frozen crab soup, frozen 6 pound log of Taylor's pork roll, iced blocks of scapple and boxes of tastycakes (usually butterscotch krimpets) on the trip home the case will hold whatever goodies I have come across, frequently this is spices & ingrediants that are hard to come by at home, so that I can recreate the great food I have there. I also pick up a few local cookbooks along the way.

jpatweb
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sat, 06/28/03 8:20 AM
Always return home from visits to my parents in Connecticut with 5 lb. boxes of Hummels hot dogs, portuguese rolls, loaves of spinach bread, and sourdough bagels from H&H, the latter of which involves a time-consuming detour into upper Manhattan but is worth it.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sat, 06/28/03 10:01 AM
Leaving Chincoteague one year we purchased a cheap styrofoam cooler, some ice, and a couple dozen crabs to enjoy at home. The cooler sat on the backseat, squeaking and squealing with crab claws scraping across styrofoam, by the time we crossed the Delaware Memorial bridge it was starting to smell a little too much like the back side of a crab shack. By the time we got home, nerves on edge from the noise, stomachs queasy from the odor, and tired from the six hour drive, we had little interest in cooking and eating those damn crabs. We did, but it was a joyless dinner...Lesson : leave the seashore where it belongs.

Fancifree
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sat, 06/28/03 10:47 PM
I've often thought that a website like this should have a section where people can trade Mail Food. Like, "I'll send you a couple of packages of J.J. Nissen New England-style frankfurter rolls if you send me two loaves of Texas Toast."

Sorry to join the topic so late! I know of a store here in Southern California which stocks something like 270 kinds of "pop" from all over the country (and sometimes out of it!)

I'm giving a blurb from a PBS program I saw on this; my best friend and her husband used to live just around the corner from it, and they were always finding fascinating kinds of pop.

"Galco's Old World Grocery, a family owned store that specializes in hundreds of kinds of soda pop. Remember your childhood favorite? Can't find it anywhere? Well give Galco's a call at ***-255-7115, and they just might have it in stock."

(I removed the area code in case it's against the rules to give phone humbers. In the LA area there are only so many area codes! )

TANFANRN
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sat, 06/28/03 10:57 PM
JUST RETURNED HOME FROM SOUTH CAROLINA WITH MY STASH OF MAURICES GOLD BAR-B-Q SAUCE. ALSO A SACK OF "REAL" GRITS AND SOME FRESH BOILED PEANUTS.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15075
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sat, 06/28/03 11:22 PM
Fancifree,
The soda store you mentioned was an item on "The Best of..." or " Food Finds" I can't remember which,not long ago. They sure had a great variety.

BigGlenn
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sun, 06/29/03 12:35 AM
Galco's Old World Grocery was also featured on a PBS Show, one of the Huell Howser Shows. Galco's is also known for a special sandwich of which the same lady has been making them for ever? I am looking for a Frosty Root Beer wonder if they have one there?

ocdreamr
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sun, 06/29/03 12:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

I am looking for a Frosty Root Beer wonder if they have one there?

Big Glenn,
Check the old sodas thread, I talked about Frosty. They were originally from Catonsville MD, No longer made here & I believe only now in cans. I understand the costcos here on the east coast carry them, you might want to check out on the west coast.

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sun, 06/29/03 11:02 AM
Whenever I travel to the Pennsylvania Dutch country, I bring home fresh baked breads, corn relish, chow chow, and wet bottom shoo-fly pie. I did it yesterday, but didn't bring home any pie.

Liketoeat
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sun, 06/29/03 8:34 PM
BigGlenn, whenever I'm through your hometown of Pine Bluff, AR, I always stop at Ma Jones' Restaurant for some great plate lunch and pie eating, and always bring home with me several jars of her (hot) Apple Relish (great for eating with peas, greens, meats of all sorts, and even just by itself). When through Star City south of Pine Bluff I always try to bring home some breads, pastries, pies, or cakes from The Bakery at The Village (shopping center) just south of there, and when through Fordyce southwest of Pine Bluff I always try to have lunch (soup, salad, and/or sandwich and pie) at Klappenbach's Bakery plus again bring home breads, pasteries, cakes, or pies. The tiny town of Leslie on US 65 north of Little Rock is home to the Serenity Farm Breads sourdough brick oven bakery and requires a stop to load up on some of their various breads and bread specialties. All these Arkansas breads, pastries, baked goods and Ma Jones' relish are great.

CoreyEl
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sun, 06/29/03 9:23 PM
Murchies mango tea and Bernard Callebaut chocolate--both of which I mule back from Vancouver, BC every time I'm up in Seattle seeing my parents.

BigGlenn
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sun, 06/29/03 11:39 PM
Hey Liketoeat, next time your in Pine Bluff you have to have Irish Maid Donuts for Breakfast and Arthurs BBQ for Lunch. Dinner at any Catfish Place and you will be sleeping like a log that night. Funny. I haven't been to Ma Jones Place where is that at?

CCJPO
  • Total Posts : 497
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 1:33 AM
When in south Florida, or the Keys, we always pick up stone crab when in season, also grouper and pompano. Also conch, so we make fritters, chowder and salad. In addition, also bring home fresh tomatoes and corn and other fresh produce so that we can have a barbeque in January. We always take an empty suitcase for the veggies and a cooler for the aquatic delights. Had to stop using dry ice so we freeze the the seafood in half gallon water filled milk cartons. Haven't lost a cooler yet.

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3699
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 2:21 AM
The last time I was in upstate New York, I was asked to bring back some Zweigle (???) white hots. Personally, I am not a big fan of anything food that is made up of lips and snouts, but, when I got home, I was the big hit.

I don't even think anyone noticed that the hotdogs were packed in my suitcase!

Steve

drpep
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 10:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

I am looking for a Frosty Root Beer wonder if they have one there?

Big Glenn,
Check the old sodas thread, I talked about Frosty. They were originally from Catonsville MD, No longer made here & I believe only now in cans. I understand the costcos here on the east coast carry them, you might want to check out on the west coast.

I have found Frosty Root Beer and Other Frostie products in glass bottles at the IGA in Darlington, SC and also at a gas station (Shell) in Georgia at the Darien exit off I-95

drpep
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 10:32 AM
Whenever I make a trip from NY to Florida I end up with tons of sodas. The trip I just returned from I loaded up on Nehi, Cheerwine, RC and Sundrop in 12oz glass bottles from Mount Airy, NC. I found glass bottles of Welchs Grape, Sunkist and A&W in Brunswick, Georgia. I always pick up six packs of Coke 8oz bottles that commemorate local events. My father asks that I bring back Cheerwine and friends want Mello Yello Melon.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 10:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

I have a suitcase that is about half regular size. On my trip out at various times it has been filled with containers of frozen crab soup...

ocdreamr, is that the spicy reddish-brown kind of crab soup with vegetables in it? If so, do you have a recipe for it?

Liketoeat
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 10:40 AM
BigGlenn - Ma Jones (Jones Cafe) was originally out at Noble Lake but for the past number of years has been located on the west side of US 65 a bit south of the mall and of the I-530 intersection with US 65. Read in one of your posts that you were missing that good southern home cooking. Ma Jones should be able to remedy that with plate lunches, vegetables, and pies. All are great. And do try some of her apple relish. Next time you are back in Arkansas, should you be in the Little Rock area, Ed & Kay's Restaurant out at Benton is the place for great vegetables. Should you get over to Forrest City be sure to try out the Sawmill Restaurant. It, too, has great home cooking type vegerables and meats, made even better Fri. - Sun. with the addition of delicious catfish. The Sawmill has the best greens I've ever eaten.
Thanks for your Pine Bluff recommendations. I've never heard of & have no idea where Irish Made Donuts is located. Know I've passed by Arthur's BBQ, but can't remember where its located. Is it on US 79? How about letting me know so I can give both of them a try. I'm familiar with several catfish restaurants in the Pine Bluff area. Hope you can get "back home" before too long and that you won't have the "take back" trouble you experienced when returning from your most recent visit. Liketoeat

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 10:48 AM
When in the Texas panhandle I buy frozen Mrs. Prater's cornbread dressing. It is excellent.

In Oklahoma, Mrs. Priddy's chicken salad. I have not had any in a long time, I hope they still make it.

I will stop at any and all fruitstands!

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7411
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 10:56 AM
I brought back several items which to my surprise have actually stayed fresh. When I was living in Seattle, I brought back White King Smoked Salmon to NY several times. All I needed was an ice pack. I also brought back Starbucks Coffee, however this is way way before they became the yucky pathetic chain they are today.

A couple of time I brought back Carne Adovada burritos from M & J's in Albuquerque. They provided fresh tortilla's, a plastic container of carne adovada, and a plastic container of red chile sauce. They also advised me to purchase longhorn colby cheese at the supermarket. I brought the Burritos back once to NY and once to Seattle. It was amazing to watch the expressions on everyone's faces from the heat, as most of them never experienced real New Mexican cuisine. Most were used to El Torito Chi Chi's and Taco Bell (double) and all the other drudge they call Mexican food

I also brought back to Rhode Island, homemade pierogies from Pittsburgh. and once brought back Potato and Kasha Knishes from the Lido Deli in Long Beach NY to desparate relatives in Albuquerque.

Again, all I needed was a a few icepacks and a small cooler

ocdreamr
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 11:04 AM
Ruby Rose

Yeah that's it for sure. I don't have a written recipe for it, it was one of my Mom's best dishes & like the other things she did well there's nothing written down. I just learned by watching. I'll try to sort out what needs to be done & get back to you with what I can.

Walleye
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 12:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Many of us live far away from where we grew up, or we have a special vacation spot that we go to again and again. Which unavailable items do you buy a case of to keep on hand until your next trip?

Whenever I'm back south, I buy a couple cases of Ranch Style Beans and Pioneer Country Gravy, and when I'm back home in Texas, I resolve to eat as many Mrs. Baird's cherry pies as I can.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17852
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 12:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

My wife and I used to bring back a couple of cases of Silver Floss sauerkraut whenever we went to our home state of Connecticut. It was her favorite brand and it's unavailable here in Ohio. We'd also bring back two five-pound boxes of Rosselers hot dogs, a cooler full of steamer clams and mussels, and several loaves of real Italian bread (you know, the kind that's pointed at either end).

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 2:15 PM
Hi, everyone. I'm a long-time foodie but this is my first post, following a week or so of lurking around the message boards.

I live in NYC but am originally from Western NY (Buffalo area). I always return to NYC with a few jars of Rootie's Blue Cheese dressing, which is by far my favorite. I used to bring back Coffee Crisp and Aero Bars from the Canadian side of the Falls, but you can actually find those in NYC now if you're so inclined. Sometimes, I bring back Italian bread from a bakery called DiCamillo's, in Niagara Falls.

Willly
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 2:40 PM
Before everyone and their brother made fresh mozzerella, we used to have to stop at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx before our flights to LA to pick up fresh and smoked mozzerella to bring to my grandmother in California. The trade however was that during the winter months, we usually returned with a flat of CA strawberries. Unfortunately, the strawberries almost never made it off the plane -- we just passed them around.

peppertree
  • Total Posts : 301
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 3:08 PM
Drakes Ring Dings (from the East)

Weaver's Chicken Croquettes ( not available here)

My wife-Pearson's Maple Nut Goodies (from Minnesota)

peppertree
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 06/30/03 3:12 PM
...I guess I was spoiled by SoCal where every grocery seems to be open 24 hours and sales are sales !!
We used to stop in Lincoln City Oregon at a place on the south side of town that made outstanding Beef Jerky..Don't know if it still there, but will check on our next trip.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

In California there are no alcohol sales 2-6AM -7 days a week. But who cares, we can buy Sunday after 6AM and all liquors can be sold in supermarkets and convenience stores.

ideafield
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sat, 07/5/03 8:51 PM
I always pack a small collapsible cooler with some freezer ice packs "just in case." I found this site today and up until now, thought I was the only one who craved the tastes of the past places I have lived. Glad to know I'm in good company. What a great site. I now live in Los Angeles.

Arcade, New York (Western New York State)...
Cheese curds, salt rising bread (The Country Oven, Rushford, NY... they will ship), Weber's Horseradish Mustard, Grandma Brown's Baked Beans, Nancy's Mustard and Wing Sauce, Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt.

Some things just don't travel well. I always have to get "the best" Beef on Weck at The Beef 'n Barrel in Olean, NY.

As for wings, I've never had bad Buffalo wings in the Western New York area but I know most of you foodies have your favorite places. (Warning: never order Buffalo wings in Los Angeles. Most are battered or breaded and served with ranch dressing. Not a stick of celery or blue cheese to be found. Sinful!)

And of course, a Friday night fishfry.

Miami...

Smoked fish from Jimbo's on Key Biscayne. The ultimate in Roadfood. Not for the timid. All they serve is canned beer and sodas and smoked fish by the pound. Great people watching.

Stone crabs, Badia Spices (a Miami company selling great spices at a fraction of the price of national companies, available at Publix in Miami).

Fort Lauderdale...

Tuna dip from Carlos & Pepes on 17th Street Causeway. (anyone have the recipe? I've come really close and beg for it each time I go back. They say it cannot be given away. I even offered to pay for it :( )

BigGlenn
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sat, 07/5/03 10:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

Forrest City be sure to try out the Sawmill Restaurant.
Thanks for your Pine Bluff recommendations. I've never heard of & have no idea where Irish Made Donuts is located. Know I've passed by Arthur's BBQ, but can't remember where its located. Is it on US 79? How about letting me know so I can give both of them a try.

Been to the Sawmill Twice....My Dad knows the owner but I didn't know that until the next to last trip back. Great food! Arthur's is on 1901 West 13th Phone # 870-534-9795 and Irish Maid Is on 2320 South Blake #870-879-9920 both in Pine Bluff. You won't be disappointed! BigGlenn

catzen
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sun, 07/6/03 10:24 AM
Bagels from Montreal - they beat NY bagels any day.

Liketoeat
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Sun, 07/6/03 9:44 PM
BigGlenn - Glad to now be reading of your familiarity/experience with The Sawmill Restaurant in Forrest City, AR. It's an oddity/concidence, I guess, that I got this message today, for I was thinking of you and wishing you could be enjoying some of that great Southern food as I was doing when eating lunch there today. Was delicious, as always, and, as always, I overate! Thanks for the information on the location of Arthur's and the Irish Maid in Pine Bluff, AR. Really glad to have that info as I'll be through there mid-month and surely want to give them a try if at all have the chance. Thanks again for this info. Will let you know how I come out. Liketoeat

Liketoeat
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 07/21/03 2:46 PM
BigGlenn, surely disappointed that when in Pine Bluff last week was not there at a time to get to try either Arthur's Barbecue or the Irish Maid doughnut shop (didn't even get to eat at Ma Jones). Really wanted to try them, but just didn't work out time-wise. Will have those spots on my agenda for next time I'm through there, which likely will be in August. Thanks again for your info. Thought of you while there. Also, was back to the Sawmill yesterday. Liketoeat

Texicana
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 07/21/03 2:50 PM
When in Texas, I always stock up on mexican chorizo, some good flour tortillas, and some czech style sausage, lots of it.

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 07/21/03 5:40 PM
Coming back from Brimfield (a massive open-air antiques/junk market in central MA) last weekend, we discovered purely by happenstance that there's a WalMart Supercenter in Ware, MA. Because all Supercenters are stocked by the same distribution center, I had a hunch and sure enough, there it was. I can now buy Ranch Style Beans and Pioneer Country Gravy within 100 miles of home. If only they carried Mrs. Baird's, I'd be set.

hawkeyejohn
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 07/21/03 5:58 PM
In trips to and from Iowa, I always bring back Iowa Chops, Sterzings Potato Chips, bread from the Amana Colonies, ring bologna and Dorthy Lynch dressing.

Howard Baratz
  • Total Posts : 445
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 07/21/03 8:02 PM
Bialys from NYC. Bagels are everywhere but their cousin the bialy is hard to find.

peppertree
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 07/21/03 8:36 PM
On a flight to Minneapolis from La Guardia, my wife and I stopped at Pastrami King then took a cheap cab ride to nearby La Guardia. We opened up our huge sandwiches (mine was Pastrami) on the plane, and made it smell like a Queens deli.

I am sure many of our fellow travellors were not happy.

Sundancer7
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 07/21/03 8:43 PM
Peppertree, they probably was not angry but were probably envious. There ain't no such thing as good airline food. As a grequent flyer, I have experienced all food and quite frankly, I wish they would discount flight prices and just give me good service.

I get to fly first class due to my frequent flyer account. The best thing about it is a wide seat and some libation at the end of the evening.

I suggest if you fly and you need a snack, bring it with you.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Mon, 07/21/03 11:50 PM
I was flying from DC to Los Angeles and we had a 30 minute stopover in Philly. I talked the flight attendants into letting me run off the plane and pick up a cheesesteak. They put it on ice for me so I could present it to my cheesestak-obsessed man when he met me at the airport.

Julia I
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Tue, 07/22/03 12:15 AM
Whenever I go to Manhattan, I try to pick up some pickles from a guy that sells them out of a barrel on Orchard St., I think, on the Lower East Side. Not cucumber pickles, but mixed vegetables that have been pickled really sour! I have trouble getting them home, however. The last time I ended up sharing them with all of the attendants on the train back to Chicago, so there were only a few left by the time that I reached home again.

While I'm on the LES, I'll also visit the Yonah Schimmel Knishery. Some day I'll remember to bring a cooler. (You just can't get good knishes in the Midwest.)

wndyctygrl
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Tue, 07/22/03 12:38 AM
I have been down here in the South for fifteen years & I still miss Vienna hotdogs, Jay's Hotstuff Potato Chips, Gonella Italian bread, Italian ice, whipped cream cakes....

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Tue, 07/22/03 7:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

I was flying from DC to Los Angeles and we had a 30 minute stopover in Philly. I talked the flight attendants into letting me run off the plane and pick up a cheesesteak. They put it on ice for me so I could present it to my cheesestak-obsessed man when he met me at the airport.

Hand delivering a real Phillie cheesteak to her man in LA!!!!WHAT A WOMAN!!!!

BarbaraCt
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Tue, 07/22/03 10:46 AM
When we go "down South" we return with a cooler of Smithfield Ham Sausage. Also a few bags of White Lilly flour. AND Memories of fried onion rings from the Varsity in Atlanta.

johnnym
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: What do you bring back home with you? - Tue, 07/22/03 12:36 PM
When I come back from Maine : Rhubarb pie, Blueberry pie, small sweet strawberries, whoopie pies, Moxie, red hot dogs, microbrewed beers (Allagash and Geary's). A Gifford's frappe for the drive.
I couldn't try to take lobsters or clams. The thought of cooking lobsters in a city apartment is depressing. They should be boiled in the water from whence they came, anyway.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 91