Tibetan Food

Double Cheeseburger
2006/07/06 08:58:33
My Girlfriend and I were in North Hampton MA over the 4th of July weekend and we ate at a neat little Tibetan resturant called Lhasa.

I had dumplings filled with Yak meat. At least that's what they said. My girlfriend had a Yak and Bok choy stir fry. I tried the Tibetan butter tea. It's made of tea, Yak butter and milk and very salty. It was interesting, but not something I would go for on a regular basis.

Not all that expensive and overall a very satisfying experience.

NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/07/06 12:52:34
There's a cool "new age" bookstore in Santa Fe ("The Ark") that is somehow connected to a woman from Tibet. She sells chai made by a friend and also a "Tibetan" hot sauce that you can sample and buy.. There is some strong Tibetan-type presence in Santa Fe. I don't really get it, but its a cool store.
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/07/06 13:46:05
There are a couple of Tibetan restaurants in Boston. The only one I've been to is Rangzen, on Pearl Street in Central Square, Cambridge. It's been there forever, and it's quite highly rated by fans of the cuisine, but having only been to the one, I don't know how it compares. I love the food there, though.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/07/09 12:47:17
There's a Tibetan restaurant that opened around here recently...besides yak, what's the food like? Is Tibetan the same as (or similar to) Nepalese or Himalayan? Now that I think about it, the restaurant might call itself Himalayan.
Tastytoo
Cheeseburger
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/07/10 08:37:40
quote:
Originally posted by abe_froeman

There's a Tibetan restaurant that opened around here recently...besides yak, what's the food like? Is Tibetan the same as (or similar to) Nepalese or Himalayan? Now that I think about it, the restaurant might call itself Himalayan.

If you are thinking of that place across from Golf Mill it is Himalayan.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/07/12 17:59:52
Yep- what's Himalayan food like?
Tastytoo
Cheeseburger
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/07/12 20:22:33
I've only visited them once, over a year ago. Based on my limited experience I would say it was the same as Indian food. I really liked the goat.I don't remember specifics, sorry. They offer a lunch buffet which we had. Perhaps ordering from the menu might be better depending on the time you arrive. I wish I could be more helpful.

Gizmolito
Cheeseburger
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/07/12 20:32:12
quote:

Indian dishes, curries, etc. and Chinese dishes,egg rolls, etc., served with an altitude.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/07/12 22:10:23
quote:
Originally posted by Gizmolito

quote:

Indian dishes, curries, etc. and Chinese dishes,egg rolls, etc., served with an altitude.

Ouch!

Jennie
Cheeseburger
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/07/22 14:31:39
Groaaaaan!
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/07/28 03:29:29
Nepalese food is influenced by Chinese and Indian food. Old spice trading routes. It seemd to me that instead of each dish being a fusion of the two cuisines, one dish would be distinctly Chinese/Thai flavored and another would be distinctly Indian.

mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/08/02 02:01:13
There are a couple Tibetan places here in Portland. Lungta serves excellent soup and some great potato dishes. It is the best option for my vegan and Buddhist friends.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/09/29 14:36:22
The one time I have been to Middletown, CT, to eat at O'Rourke's Diner, I parked right in front of a Tibetan restaurant, just a few doors down. I was very surprised to see a town that small have a restaurant like that. Has anyone eaten at this place? As far as I know, there are no Tibetan restaurants here in Pittsburgh.
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/09/29 16:12:35
I personally have not eaten at the Tibeten restaurant in Middletown however I have a few friends that have and they loved it. You can view the menu online and I have to say it sounds pretty darn good.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/10/02 15:16:03
efuery-
Can you tell me what the name of the Tibetan restaurant in Middletown is? It has been too long for me....I can't remember. I would really like to check out the online menu.
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/10/02 16:06:31
It is called "Little Tibet" Here is a link to their menus

http://www.littletibet.com/Pages/Restaurant.html
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/10/02 16:08:13
In Bloomington, IN there is the Snow Lion which was one of two Tibetan restaurants in the U.S. when it opened in 1987. I never ate there but I understand that it uses techniques and spices from Tibet but that the cuisine has been Americanized as they did not think that people would want to eat the mutton, liver and barley that is prevelant in Tibet.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Tibetan Food 2006/10/03 07:33:42
efuery-
Thank you very much for the link! I really enjoyed reading the menu and there are quite a few things on there I have never seen before. Next time in Connecticut, I will definitely stop in and eat.

Does anyone know of a Tibetan restaurant in Pittsburgh or close to this area?