Scones

beerbattersausage
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 0
Scones - Fri, 07/7/06 9:49 PM
Anyone have a good recipe for "Cinnamon Chip Scones"?

bbqjimbob
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Scones - Sat, 07/8/06 1:11 AM
Try this website: http://www.espressomyespresso.com/ Look on the right hand side, towards the bottom, under "Other". Click on the link for Biscotti Recipe. Substitute the chocolate chips with cinnamon chips. Add the type of nuts of your choice- almond, or- and probably even better- try pecans! I've made these, w/ chocolate chips, not cinnamon chips, and they are really good! Also, for any of you die hard coffee/ espresso fans, this is an amazing website, w/ lots of info on all things coffee! It's the website responsible for my descent into coffee and espresso madness! I now have a commercial grinder and espresso machine, and home-roast all of my coffee! You cannot beat freshly roasted, freshly ground coffee- especially w/ those homemade scones!

beerbattersausage
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Scones - Thu, 07/20/06 10:23 PM
scones?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WVHillbilly
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Scones - Thu, 07/20/06 11:04 PM
I always thought scones were sorta like flavored southern biscuits. I prefer my biscuits plain and with a supporting cast.

BhamBabe
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: Scones - Fri, 07/21/06 2:14 AM
My grams recipes:

This recipe is one she uses most.

2 cups of self raising flower (Or "all-purpose" flour with 3 teaspoons
baking powder)
¼ stick of butter or margarine.
¼ pint (or half to ¾ cup) sour cream
One beaten egg
Pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 400F
Sift the dry ingredients together and then rub in the butter. Pour in the sour cream and then the beaten egg in the centre of the mixture and mix to obtain a soft elastic dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out to about ½ inch thick. Prick over with a fork and cut into small rounds with a cutter about 1½ inches in diameter. Don't twist your cutter or they will warp when baking. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.

I've never tried cinnamon chips but I'd assume they are like chocolate chips and you could add 1 cup of chips to the batter. FYI, you can flour the chips so they wont sink too much into your batter.

This one is one I make with my kids.

Drop Scones

8 oz plain flour,
pinch of salt,
1 level teaspoon of cream of tartar,
1 level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda,
5 teaspoons of caster sugar,
1 standard egg
and a quarter pint of milk.

Heat a heavy based frying pan and lightly grease. Sift flour, salt, cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda together and mix in the caster sugar. Create a well in the center and add the egg and some of the milk. Slowly mix the flour into the egg and milk, adding more milk as you go, until you have a mixture which has the consistency of thick batter with no lumps.

Drop a small amount of batter into the greased pan, bubbles should rise to the top in a few seconds, if it is the right temperature. Drop in enough mixture to make individual small scones. When the underside is brown, and bubbles are bursting on the top like for pancakes, turn over and cook the other side. You may need to regrease the pan after each batch.

To make caster sugar take granulated sugar and give it a spin in your blender. Caster is just superfine sugar. Just add cinnamon chips to taste to the batter. Or, make cinnamon butter to slather on top.

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Scones - Sat, 07/22/06 5:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by beerbattersausage

scones?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Any chance you could edit this post and get rid of the ? marks! I like scones and would like to be able to read this thread. Jim

Nemis
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Scones - Sat, 07/22/06 8:55 AM
These were one the best scones ive tasted from The Carolina Inn Scone, they served them at tea time.
Best mail order scones I have gotton were Zingermans in Ann Arbor
Good LUCK!!

SCONES makes 12

Measure into a large bowl:

6 c. flour
1 c. sugar
2 T. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

Pour into Robot Coupe, or Kitchen Aid. Add:

1 ? c. cold butter, cubed

Process in Robot Coupe until mixture clears center and comes up sides of
dome. Pour into bowl. Aerate mixture, breaking up any lumps of butter. If
desired, add zest or spices. Make a well in the center and add:

2 c. yogurt

Chop yogurt in with plastic scraper until most of the mixture is moistened.
Add:

4 c. fruit
1 c. nuts (optional)

Flour hands and mix fruit in with hands. Flour table and dump mixture onto
table. Knead a few strokes and divide in half. Form rounds and cut into 6
pieces each. Sprinkle with Sugar in the Raw, place on papered and greased
sheet pan and bake at 325‚ until tops spring back when touched. Cool before
taking off sheet pan.