Maidrites

Junior Burger
2006/07/09 11:00:41
I hope Jane and Michael Stern can stop in at the Maidrite Sandwich Shop at 125 North Broadway in Greenville, Ohio (phone 937-548-9340) if they are traveling through Ohio. I grew up in Darke County Ohio (Greenville is the county seat) and was initiated to this little sandwich shop at an early age. These unique loose meat sandwiches are excellent and tasty. I would recommend everyone to try to stop there if they are ever in Greenville. I still have relatives in the Greenville area and whenever I am up there I usually get 3 dozen to bring back and freeze. (If you would like to bring back some to freeze, ask for them on cold buns, they freeze well when prepared on cold buns, and microwave well, about a minute and 30 seconds for two). There have been several write ups in newspapers in Western Ohio and Eastern Indiana on this unique restaurant.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/09 11:47:25
Please see the following thread recounting my own first (and only) visit to this unique place

I'm suprised you didn't mention the gum :-)

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9018
maidritelover
Junior Burger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/09 21:01:08
Hi TJ, Yes I forgot to mention the gum, that is a ritual for many of the visitors to the Maid Rite Sandwich Shop. I grew up in Union City, Ohio, on the Indiana/Ohio state line about 11 miles from Greenville and it's amazing to see how the gum markings have expanded over the years. Great pics of the outside and inside of the restaurant. I was in Greenville Memorial Day weekend and got 3 dozen to bring back to Louisville.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/09 21:35:12

Welcome to Roadfood.com! (From another resident of Kentuciana) Thats the good news! Unfortunately the bad news is that the duplicate thread you started in the news forum has been deleted. We discourage duplicate posting by the members. Your topic for this thread is fine and belongs here in the Sandwich forum. I hope you enjoy all those "carry-homes" you described earlier! BTW I'm west of Louisville in Lanesville, Indiana
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/10 10:41:30
In reading about Maid Rite and loosemeat a question has come to mind. I noted the Maid Rite logo and signs and placemats in the photos, but the text told us about a considerable difference in how they are prepared from place to place.
Is Maid Rite a trademarked franchise, or can anybody use the name without payment to some corporation?

And, what is the basic recipe for Maid Rites - what spices, etc. are used and what cooking technique?

Cheers, John
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/10 10:46:43
Seafarer... There's been a couple forums discussing the recipes:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6998
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7999
johns72604
Hamburger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/10 11:01:17
I have family in Versailles Ohio, and everytime I get out that way, I must make at least one stop for a bag full of Maidrites. My mouth is watering just thinking about them.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/10 11:12:58
Thanks Vic, in a quick review of the forums you cited I get the idea that although Maid - Rite is a chain it has little or no control over use of its name and sandwich.
Is it accurate to say that anybody can use it ?

Also, the recipes cited seem to confirm my suspicion that it is related , perhaps distantly, to our well known Sloppy Joe sandwich, and that there are enough variations on the ground beef sandwich to create fodder for a PHD thesis.

Cheers, John
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/10 11:38:49
Since I am from the Sioux City area, I grew up with them being called Taverns.

If you turn them upside down when you eat them the thicker, dryer top does a better job of staying together.

Cakes

maidritelover
Junior Burger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/10 20:11:57
I don't think Maidrites are a chain. The restaurant in Greenville has been around I think since the 1930s. I have a niece who lives in Iowa and she mentioned something about a Taylor's Maidrite in Marshalltown, IA. I don't think it is related to the Maidrite in Greenville, Ohio. I don't think the Maidrite Sandwich Shop in Greenville is part of a chain. Greetings to johns72604, hope you had a great time on your visit to Versailles.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/10 20:25:21
I went on a road trip from Cincinnati to Greenville two weeks ago [Wed. 6-28-06] just to try a Maid-Rite sandwich. And just because I read about them on the forums here [Thanks to T.J. Jackson!!]

I loved them, and it was worth the trip to try them. I also walked around the downtown area, and shopped a little. Cute Town!! And I stopped to have a drink in a bar called either Denny's or Danny's Pub. They had table tents advertising a sandwich made with "made wrong meat", of which has to be a copy of the Maid-Rite. I didn't eat there, though.

I took pictures of my sandwich, and the wall of gum. Maybe I will try to post them sometime.

SUSAN
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/10 22:11:31
The way I understand it, in the 1920's the original Maid-Rite founder sold franchisees the right to make and sell the sandwich, using the Maid-Rite name and a recipe he provided. He didn't exercise the total "concept" control as is typical for the common fast food franchises today. There are a lot of original Maid-Rite restuarants scattered around the midwest, each of with their own menus and unique look, the only commonality being they all sell Maid-Rite sandwiches. Several years ago some Texas corporation bought the Maid-Rite brand and is trying to turn it into a modern chain of clones, selling a standardized frozen (and most think inferior) product and a common menu/look/feel. There is a lot of hard feelings and lawsuits between the Corporation and some of the original franchisees. You can see the corporate clone restuarants popping up along the interstates. I much prefer the originals. The restuarants selling loose meat or Tavern sandwiches aren't associated with either group of franchisees.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/11 09:56:23
I don't see mention of the 2 that are in Peoria, Il. Maybe they aren't there any longer, too much competition from better options.

http://www.maid-rite.com/index.shtml
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/11 10:31:33
Thanks, Jim, that's a very interesting bit of info and helps clear up what seemed to me a quite confusing situation - and, I'll be sure to steer clear of those Maid-rites atthe Interstate intersections.

cheers, John
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/11 10:33:28
Thanks, Jim, that's a very interesting bit of info and helps clear up what seemed to me a quite confusing situation - and, I'll be sure to steer clear of those Maid-rites atthe Interstate intersections.

cheers, John
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/11 10:52:25
I'd love to try one of these, but the web site gives no information as to where they are all locarted, only a few new ones. How can I find out where the closest one to Topeka/Kansas City is?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/11 10:54:57
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

I went on a road trip from Cincinnati to Greenville two weeks ago [Wed. 6-28-06] just to try a Maid-Rite sandwich. And just because I read about them on the forums here [Thanks to T.J. Jackson!!]

Welcome to Roadfood, Suzy, and you are quite welcome....I

johns72604 was the one who described them to me and thereby gained my interest, so I give all the credit to him for my visit

Might I ask if you also post on Chowhound's Midwest board? I see a Suzy every now and then posting about Cincinnati-related topics

To comment on what Jim said about - there is a Maidrite in Piqua attached to a gas station - this is only about 15 to 20 miles west of Greenville - that has the logo up on the sign, and it is indeed right next to the interstate, and the sandwiches are not nearly as good as those in Greenville. My 2000[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9018']roadfood-ish week thread[/url] documents both, with pics.

The here's the sign in Piqua, easily visible from I-75:

(and I thought gas was high then. lordy)
soozycue520
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/11 12:32:19
T.J~~

I am not the Suzy that is on the Chowhound Midwest Board. I will check it out, though.

I just checked out the Maid-Rite website, and apparently the Piqua location is part of the "chain" of Maid-Rites, while the Greenville location is not.

On another forum, someone suggested that the Greenville location's sandwiches taste like they may have coca-cola syrup in them. I did taste something sweet like that in the sandwich. It was very good, however I really have nothing else to compare it to.

T.J. ~ I love reading of your Roadfood adventures. My vacations have strictly come to revolve around food, and this is a great resource!! Thanks to all of you "Roadfoodies"!!!

SUSAN
soozycue520
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/12 03:39:47
I cannot upload photos unless I am an "Insider"?

The Greenville Maid-Rite is a "roadfoodworthy" food!!

Luvinfood!
soozycue

UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/12 04:55:06
TJ... Quit teasing us with them old gas prices... Jeeze...
maidritelover
Junior Burger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/14 20:44:42
Hello soozycue520, I am not sure what is in the Maidrites served in Greenville, my sister has tried to duplicate it in a crockpot, it's not exactly the same as the Greenville Maidrites but is close. I don't know exactly what she puts in hers and even though I'm not much of a cook here's a recipe from someone who used to go to church with my grandparents. (My grandparents lived in Randolph County, Indiana just across the state line from Greenville, about 20 miles.) Ingredients: 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, 1 (12 oz.) can of beer, 2 Tbsp. coarse ground pepper, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 medium onion, 2 Tbsp. mustard. Steam ground beef with beer in a double boiler. Add pepper and onion as meat begins to cook. When meat is done add sugar and mustard, stir well. Set aside for 5 minutes, serve on steamed buns. I think the folks in Greenville do use beer in their recipe, although I'm sure that is a trade secret. Happy roadtrips from your base in Cincinnati.
Farmallcub
Hamburger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/14 22:06:24
It is a shame that a corporation is trying to standardize the Maid-Rite Sandwich Shops. It is nice to have a central item that people know but still let the owner put their own touch to the menu. I grew up in the Rockford IL area and loved the Maid-Rites. The baked beans and the fresh made pie were out of this world. Last summer I did find a non standardized Maid-Rite in the little town of Christopher Il. The girl behind the counter said she thought that it had been there since the 1930’s. It was a good Roadfood find.
soozycue520
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/15 00:04:20
quote:
Originally posted by maidritelover

Hello soozycue520, I am not sure what is in the Maidrites served in Greenville, my sister has tried to duplicate it in a crockpot, it's not exactly the same as the Greenville Maidrites but is close. I don't know exactly what she puts in hers and even though I'm not much of a cook here's a recipe from someone who used to go to church with my grandparents. (My grandparents lived in Randolph County, Indiana just across the state line from Greenville, about 20 miles.) Ingredients: 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, 1 (12 oz.) can of beer, 2 Tbsp. coarse ground pepper, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 medium onion, 2 Tbsp. mustard. Steam ground beef with beer in a double boiler. Add pepper and onion as meat begins to cook. When meat is done add sugar and mustard, stir well. Set aside for 5 minutes, serve on steamed buns. I think the folks in Greenville do use beer in their recipe, although I'm sure that is a trade secret. Happy roadtrips from your base in Cincinnati.

Maidritelover~~

Thanks!!! I will try, just for fun { !!!}, to make this recipe!!! It sounds really good!!! There is a "twang" in the Greenville Maidrite recipe that suggests something besides sugar. The double boiler thingy sounds like it might make a difference.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/17 01:54:40
I've only been to the Maid-Rite in Greenville, OH twice, but it was a lot of fun both times. Each time there was quite a significant crowd inside and usually cars lined up at the drive-through out into the street. (Luckily, the service is fast.) While I can't say it's my favorite roadfood in the world, it's a good sandwich-- very messy. ;D

Kewpee burger up in Lima was very good, too.
Oneiron339
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/17 07:27:11
Kewpee's is just like Wendy's, square burger, etc. Pretty good - not a chain restaurant.
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/17 19:22:08
Leon's Custard in southside Milwaukee makes a "Made Right" hamburger that is identical to a Maid-Rite. And they have dynamite frozen custard.
arianej
Cheeseburger
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/19 23:17:17
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

Kewpee's is just like Wendy's, square burger, etc. Pretty good - not a chain restaurant.

Er, actually I thought it was a chain, just a small one? Lima has three locations that I recall, but there's a few more in Michigan and Wisconsin that may not be exactly alike, but are related.
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/20 00:54:09
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

I don't see mention of the 2 that are in Peoria, Il. Maybe they aren't there any longer, too much competition from better options.

http://www.maid-rite.com/index.shtml

Don't worry! The Maid Rite 50's Diner & Just Too Cute Gift Shop in the Metro Center on N. University Street and the Maid-Rite on Willow Knolls Drive (at War Memorial Drive) are still going strong. And frankly, I think that the Maid Rite 50's Diner (in Metro Center) is one of our better options! There is a Culver's about a block away now, and I think the Maid Rite gets more business than the Culver's does.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/20 01:27:45
quote:
Originally posted by arianej

quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

Er, actually I thought it was a chain, just a small one? Lima has three locations that I recall, but there's a few more in Michigan and Wisconsin that may not be exactly alike, but are related.

Ummm... Sorry to bother ya all... BUT WHERE IN MICHIGAN???

PS. Went to EMAIL you first before posting here, but no luck on your user page.

And ya think they could make the font any smaller?????????????????
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Maidrites 2006/07/20 10:51:13

Don't worry! The Maid Rite 50's Diner & Just Too Cute Gift Shop in the Metro Center on N. University Street and the Maid-Rite on Willow Knolls Drive (at War Memorial Drive) are still going strong. And frankly, I think that the Maid Rite 50's Diner (in Metro Center) isone of our better options! There is a Culver's about a block away now, and I think the Maid Rite gets more business than the Culver's does.

I have eaten in the Metro Center Maid-Rite a few times but the only time we tried the one off War Memorial we found that they do not open for breakfast. BTW, lunch at the Culver's on University a few weeks ago, the place was packed the whole time we were there from 11 am until noon.
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Maidrites 2010/10/16 10:41:29
I wasn't crazy about Kewpee. The burger was good but nothing else was.

Very cool place and well worth a visit though
arianej

I've only been to the Maid-Rite in Greenville, OH twice, but it was a lot of fun both times. Each time there was quite a significant crowd inside and usually cars lined up at the drive-through out into the street. (Luckily, the service is fast.) While I can't say it's my favorite roadfood in the world, it's a good sandwich-- very messy. ;D

Kewpee burger up in Lima was very good, too.

http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...andpappy-ate-here.html

DT