Besides Fridays, I've also heard that The Prime Rib in Philadelphia makes the claim too.
When I make them, I always use large Idaho Russets too (again, the Burbank if poss.), I ...
1) wash the potato and dry it well
2) rub with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt
3) bake as for a baked potato
4) cool them, cut in half and scoop out the insides (leaving a small amount of the flesh, but removing most of it)
6) fry in deep fryer (I drop them still frozen)
7) pull from oil, put on plate and load up with chedder cheese and crumbled bacon ... pop under the broiler to brown (usually then transfer to a cooler plate thats not going to burn someone)... then sprinkle with chopped scallions or green onions and serve with sour cream.
When I get together with my brothers to watch the occasional sporting event on tv, I sometimes make appetizer plates ... which include: a couple of barbqued rib sections, potato skins, buffalo wings, deep fried taquitos, and a big pile of onion straws ... yup this is a large appetizer plate (nothing exceeds like excess, eh?)