Favorite Discontinued Sodas

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 181 to 223 of 223
Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4898
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Tue, 06/26/07 2:32 AM
I just miss Coke made with cane sugar. Not the tasteless crap they bottle today made with corn syrup.
Many years ago, my ex and I went to Nassau in the Bahamas for a vacation. They bottle all their sodas there with cane sugar. When we returned home, we packed about 10 cans of Coke in our suitcases. At the airport, the customs guys went nuts! They said, most people bring back jewelry and crystal, etc. But, Coca-Cola?

jparis
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Wed, 06/27/07 12:57 PM
Nehi Peach, Grape, and other flavors are sold here in the NC. Just had a Peach over the weekend. They can be found in the Wilmington area. Not sure about anywhere else.

You can order cans from this website
http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/candy_cat.asp?c=21&p=2&id=703&newp=
but nothing is better than the long neck.

DavidEMartin
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Wed, 07/25/07 5:16 PM
Has anyone mentioned the Corr's and Sharon Corr's lines of all-natural sodas? The line included an incredibly good ginger ale with ginger sediment. It also included the odd "Cel-Ray" soda, apparently a celery-flavored pop.

sonjaab
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 01/24/08 10:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gwynnen
I wish I could even find a picture of a Purple Passion can.

Hey GW.........Check this link for a pic:
http://www.gono.com/soda%20cans/pcans/p173.jpg

gofoodracer
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 01/24/08 10:36 PM
in the ethnic section of my local grocery store there used to be an apple flavored soda, it was fantastic. I think it was central america.

Also I can not think a Tab with out thinking of Bobcat Goldthwaite

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 01/24/08 11:11 PM
what ever happened to Slice?
I remember when we took a trip to Myrtle Beach in the early 80's and discovered Mandarin Orange Slice, with 10% juice. It was cheap as dirt, since it was new and still in test phase. We took home several cases. A year later you could buy it in the local grocery store in Upstate, NY.

Although we went through several cases of the orange and lemon lime Slice drinks, I still prefer Sunkist and 7up - probably because I grew up with the taste. Which is funny I say I "grew up" on it, because my mother did not stock soda in our house until around the time we bought all that Slice. Still, I can remember choosing Sunkist as my treat at the 7-11. Although, Sunkist was new compared to Orange Crush, and I remember struggling on which one to pick. Ironically, today, both Sunkist and Orange Crush are made by Schweppes.

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 01/24/08 11:40 PM
Here in the NYC Metro area, the local Pepsi bottler replaced Slice with Sierra Mist.

cementhead
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Fri, 01/25/08 7:58 PM
Suburban Almond Smash,Aspen,cactus Cooler,Moonshine(a Mountain Dew knockoff from 7-Up).

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Fri, 01/25/08 11:06 PM

Score- Cherry Cola Slice became Wild Cherry Pepsi by simply changing the can colors. I believe some of the more exotic flavors, Pineapple comes to mind, are still sold under the "SLICE" label.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6081
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Sat, 01/26/08 10:33 AM
I agree...about coke with cane sugar from poster twinwillow...
All these sodas would be great if today makers used real cane sugar against the horrible "corn syrup" BAN CORN SYRUP!!!!!!

uncledaveyo
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Sun, 04/20/08 10:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jockey52

Anyone remember Ki-Ora ? it was nominally a New Zealand product, fruity/creamy flavours as I recall - whether bottled in NZ or merely licensed to Canada I don't know, but it was distributed in Central Canada somtime in the late 60's/early 70's.

"I've come to sell ki-ora, tastes like ice cream soda, without the ala-moda, or the ice cream soda jerk..."

I truly thought I was the only person to remember this.

lb1xxxx
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Wed, 06/4/08 1:02 PM
I miss Mello Yellow (another Mountain Dew ripoff), Crystal Pepsi, Hoffman Sodas, Vigor Sodas, all the Nehis, Pepsi-Light.

Also, does anyone else remember Apple Slice? Grape Slice? 7-Up Gold?

To add to another poster's comment about Diet Mountain Dew Code Red not being available in NY: It's not available in NJ either. It IS, however, available in Florida. I was shocked when I saw it last year. They have that there and the Tropicana Sugar Free Fruit Punch. Only the Orangeade and Lemonade are available in NJ. ;(

marky
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Wed, 06/4/08 1:10 PM
MY FATHER TOOK ME TO KATZS DELI ON DELANCEY ST. HOT PASTRAMI ON RYE DR, BROWNS DIET CELRAY IT DOESNT GET BETTER

retfrogof4
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Wed, 06/4/08 1:15 PM
back in the 60's in the baltimore area there was a cola named DIXI that came both in bottles(short, stubby ones) and cans. haven't seen it in years.
it even had a radio slogan "shout out for DIXI- Dixi cola"

is it still around anywhere? same with Suburban Club Beverages.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Wed, 06/4/08 1:26 PM
About Clicqout Club--- i grew up in Millis Ma where it was made---great sodas---and not just for mixers-they had a full line of flavors that were all made with cane sugar and natural flavors and TWP ginger ales--Pale Dry--the classic High ball mixer--and James Bonds mixer of choice by the way---and Golden Ginger Ale---fuller---more ginger beer like and wonderful. I worked in the plant as a kid---used to unload rail cars full of returned glass bottles. BTW--they were the first bottlers to put soda in cans!for a bit of history of the company---check this out http://www.clicquotclubcafe.com/History.htm

Also--just saw Grapette in Walmart the other day---wasn't in the classic small bottles--but in a can--figured it was probably only Grapette in Name Only--but next time i see it i will give it a try.

rmcielwain
  • Total Posts : 607
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Wed, 06/4/08 8:20 PM

7-UP Gold: still have an unopened 10-oz bottle (right here next to the laptop as I type this) that
I picked up in 1988 at a Kroger in Sidney, Ohio, on my way home to Florida.

And as for Slice, about a year ago, Wal-Mart was featuring diet versions in their fliers (although
not at all their locations) - the closest I might be able to find it would be in Tallahassee &
points east....

lb1xxxx
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 06/5/08 9:13 AM
YES!! I remember that. They had Grape and some kind of Cherry or something. Not for nothing, but it was HORRIBLE. It was branded as Pepsi-One Slice. YUCK!!

I bought it once. When I went back to Wal-Mart they didn't even have in on the shelves anymore. Guess I wasn't the only one that thought it was nasty

rmcielwain
  • Total Posts : 607
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 06/5/08 11:28 AM

Ours here didn't even have it on the shelves to begin with, but that's typical of Buffalo Rock, the
Pepsi distributor for this area: because of previous agreements, they bottled 7-UP & Sunkist instead
of Sierra Mist (although they finally made the switch last year) & Slice.

drpep
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 06/5/08 7:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki
Also--just saw Grapette in Walmart the other day---wasn't in the classic small bottles--but in a can--figured it was probably only Grapette in Name Only--but next time i see it i will give it a try.

One of the Food Channel shows had a feature on Grapette. It is only sold at Wal-mart and the syrup for the drink is still made by Grapette. Supposedly it is the authentic formula. Wal-mart also sells Orangette.

senor boogie woogie
  • Total Posts : 225
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Fri, 06/20/08 4:48 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rondo_%28soft_drink%29

One of my favorite drinks as a kid was Rondo, a lemon flavored soft drink. According to the Wiki article, it was made in the late 70s and early 80s, but does not explain why it went away, or what soft drink company made the stuff.

Senor

Jeep2000
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Mon, 06/23/08 5:47 PM
I've been looking for Jones chocolate soda for a couple of years now in central Illinois.
I swear Canfield's used to make a chocolate soda, too, but all they have around here is the diet chocolate version.

David_NYC
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Mon, 06/23/08 10:13 PM
Jones chocolate fudge soda is discontinued. At least Jones keeps a list of discontinued flavors on their web site:
http://www.jonessoda.com/files/products-retired.php

Note the comments on the left hand side of the web page from former customers of the discontinued flavors.

ynotryme
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Mon, 06/23/08 10:38 PM
"Ramblin Root Beer" a Coke product that was replaced when they bought Barg's.

harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1086
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Tue, 06/24/08 6:52 PM
Only the flavor in the middle, and it was always out of the bottle. It tasted better.

madison66
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 04/2/09 7:42 PM
Almond Smash is available in 2 ltr. bottles at the Mars grocery store in Lutherville, MD.  I have also recently found Almond Smash at Baltimore area Walgreens stores.

rdriver60
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 08/20/09 12:42 PM
I loved BudWine and was hoping that it was still in production . Now I'm sad...

WVCitySlicker
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 08/20/09 12:47 PM
My favorite was Upper-10 distributed by RC, haven't seen it since the early 80's.

mayor al
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 08/20/09 6:26 PM
My Dad used to mix Upper 10 with his Bourbon for his evening "Highball" before dinner. I guess today's version would be "7 and 7". When I would sneak some of his Upper 10 (glass quart bottles) I found it to be a bit more tart and fizzy than 7-Up.

RKB
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Fri, 08/28/09 6:47 PM
Growing up outside Cincinnati in the 50's/60's, Barq's Root Beer, grape, red creme soda, and orange all came in extra-large glass bottles - seemed like they were at least 12oz if not larger. They still make the RB and creme soda but it's a far cry from the original, probably that corn syrup thing, although the bottle had something to do with it too... 

That'sMyDawg
  • Total Posts : 421
Re:Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Sun, 09/27/09 8:56 PM
Riku The Surfer

Anybody have that one soda that you always loved and then one day while searching for it...it's gone.

Mine...is the great blast of citrusy goodness SURGE. God I loved that stuff. Granted Coke made Vault which is alright I guess...but it's way too Sprite-y for my memory of "FEED THE RUSH".

So anyone else have a favorite soda that's now in the graveyard?

I know this is an old thread but had to leave my .02 when I came to it.

My favorite drink in the world 15 or 20 years ago was Crystal Pepsi. I loved it from the first sip, it also looked like water, "clear". Besides the "clear" look it had a sweeter taste and a little different recipe than normal Pepsi. I bought this soda by the case full at the time and thought it would last 4ever. Pepsi screwed up by changing the recipe and making a newer Pepsi shortly after the Crystal Pepsi came out but the new clear was a citis clear drink and it tasted horrible although it was still clear looking. Soon after there was no more Crystal Pepsi at all. I would guess (not sure) Crystal Pepsi was only around for a few years at most and this was about 15 or 20 years ago. Anyway, I miss that Crystal Pepsi and wish they would bring back the original Crystal Pepsi. I still have an un opened bottle of it to this day in hopes it would become valuable. It never has as of yet and I saw quite a few on ebay (as of 5 or so years ago anyway) Year after year I was tempted to open and taste it, I have had it for 15 years or so but I have a feeling it would smell and taste horrible after so long even though it is air tight.

Regular Pepsi is my favorite soft drink but Pepsi Clear was the best!  Old commercial  Crystal Pepsi Commercial
<message edited by That'sMyDawg on Sun, 09/27/09 9:11 PM>

High Springs Gator
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Thu, 10/22/09 12:58 AM
Funktron

Well, Squirt is still around---but the fact is, back in the late 60's and early 70's, the taste was different. Back then, maybe it was cane sugar instead of corn syrup or maybe it was some other ingredient difference---but Squirt from that era was king of the pops for me---perfectly carbonated with a light grapefruit flavor and just the right sweetness/sour calibration. I think 7-Up of that era was better too. Nehi made some great flavors and RC Cola was good stuff.

I preferred Squirt when you could get it in a glass bottle.

Kaatje Koets
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Fri, 01/8/10 4:48 AM
gwynnen

I wish I could even find a picture of a Purple Passion can.

Just found a picture of a purple passion can over here: http://www.inthe70s.com/f...assionsoftdrink0.shtml

Enjoy (even though it's only visual)!

Heartbreaksoup
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Tue, 03/16/10 9:36 AM
You can still find Upper 10 in Columbus, GA.  Two years ago, I went to a Chinese restaurant kind of in the sticks that had an RC fountain with those two sodas.

Like Ort. and others, I surely do miss Budwine.  The Dairy Queen on Oak Street in Athens used to serve up Budwine milkshakes.  I'm going to try and replicate the taste by taking a can of Cheerwine over to the DQ near me today and confusing the poor girl behind the counter with my very odd request!

Heartbreaksoup
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Mon, 03/22/10 1:05 PM
I had that Cheerwine milkshake and it was really good, very much how I remembered them with Budwine:

harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1086
Re:Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Fri, 03/26/10 8:35 PM
I replied a few years ago, but only posted an internet picture of it, which has since turned into a red "X". Anyway - Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak. Anyone from the Philadelphia area who liked it understands! Any Frank's soda was good.

wheels in the sky
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Fri, 03/26/10 9:22 PM
How about Stewerds soda from upstate N.Y.  great soda in clear glass bottles. Orange and Rootbeer were Awsome

David_NYC
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Fri, 03/26/10 10:15 PM
WITS:
Were you referring to the sodas sold at Stewarts Shops:
http://www.stewartsshops.com/ContentManager/index.cfm?Step=Display&ContentID=191

or the sodas from the off shoot of the Stewart Drive-In restaurant chain:
http://www.drinkstewarts.com/
?

Candacerae
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Mon, 06/27/11 3:40 PM
Wow. I forgot about Upper 10. I think my parents used that as a mixer, too (1960's)

Candacerae
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Mon, 06/27/11 3:43 PM
Favorite? Had to be either Choc-ola or 3V Cola. Used to get both, plus Nehi grape, growing up in downstate Illinois, 1960's. LOVED Choc-ola. Non carbonated and great taste. 3V was a lot like Coke, not Pepsi. Tart and really good cold, straight from the bottle. Yum.

Veronica T
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Mon, 12/30/13 9:54 AM
DavidEMartin

Green River is a regional soda. It's named for Chicago's bizarre habit of dying the Chicago Rover bright green for St Patricks Day. The soda is primarily available in the Chicago area and is bottled by Canfield's (who also make kickass Diet Chocolate and Diet Chocolate Cherry sodas).

Green River was introduced in 1919.

"As part of a more than fifty-year-old Chicago tradition, the Chicago River is dyed green in observance of St Patrick's Day. The actual event does not necessarily occur on St. Patrick's Day and is scheduled for the Saturday of the closest weekend. The dye takes days to dissipate.
"The tradition of dyeing the river green arose by accident when some plumbers used fluorescein dye to trace sources of illegal pollution discharges. The dyeing of the river is still sponsored by the local plumbers union." - Wikipedia.

So. The soda water was named before the dyeing of the river.

From the nineteen-eighties until 2011, Green River was bottled by Clover Club Beverages. Currently owned by WIT Beverage Company.

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1787
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Mon, 12/30/13 12:48 PM
I was a Squirt kid growing up.  Dad always had that in the celler.  Like it's been mentioned, it's still around but somehow it's different.  Ice cold out of the bottle was wonderfull.

mayor al
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Mon, 12/30/13 1:47 PM
"WINK" The Sassy One from Canada Dry... Was sweeter than Squirt, but in the same catagory. It was high on my list of favorites  back in the '60's.  Another 'mixer' I liked straight from the bottle was "BITTER LEMON"

When we lived in New England, I found that the extra-dry version of Cott's Ginger Ale was a great drink also. Between that and MOXIE, I discovered that my tastes had changed from my SoCal teen-years.

mlm
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Favorite Discontinued Sodas - Mon, 12/30/13 2:05 PM
When I was a kid in Morgantown, WV, I loved Tahitian Treat and Half And Half, which I believe was a grapefruit soda. Just once since I moved here, I found a Tahitian Treat at a Sac And Pac. I still liked it but my taste buds had matured a bit. When I was a teenager, my local Safeway sold a non-alcoholic soda named Collins Mix which was my favorite for years. My mother thought my taste for it was very strange. Although the company is still in business and my (now HEB) sells its' beverages, I haven't seen the Collins Mix since I was in high school or early college almost 35 years ago.

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 181 to 223 of 223