Morrison and Schiff

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
  • Reward points : 0
Morrison and Schiff - Thu, 07/20/06 7:23 AM
As reported in the Boston Herald Morrison and Schiff after a 25 year hiatus is back in business. The barkers are an all beef Kosher product, it use to be a quality product and the company sold out to Hebrew National in 1980. I'm not sure on how up to speed they are yet the article listed only 2 or 3 places that they are avalible as of now. Chow Jim

Ciaoman
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Morrison and Schiff - Sun, 07/23/06 10:47 PM
I remember them in CT. You're right...they were a quality product. I'll keep my eyes open for 'em. Thanks.

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Morrison and Schiff - Mon, 07/31/06 2:23 PM
Also saw an article about the re-launch in my local town paper, The Sharon Advocate. One or both of the two owners are from Sharon and one is the son of one of the former owners. Purchased the name back from Hebrew National. Right now they are mostly found in Kosher delis, although the article suggested that they are planning to expand into groceries.

lns
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Morrison and Schiff - Tue, 08/8/06 4:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

I remember them in CT. You're right...they were a quality product. I'll keep my eyes open for 'em. Thanks.

They are now in CT. You can call 617-342-7447. They taste as good as I remember!!!

lns
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Morrison and Schiff - Tue, 08/8/06 4:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

As reported in the Boston Herald Morrison and Schiff after a 25 year hiatus is back in business. The barkers are an all beef Kosher product, it use to be a quality product and the company sold out to Hebrew National in 1980. I'm not sure on how up to speed they are yet the article listed only 2 or 3 places that they are avalible as of now. Chow Jim

I called them at 617-342-7447 and they told me where they were for sale. They are as good as the old days! I think they are in CT now

joebenjamin
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Morrison and Schiff - Thu, 01/3/08 11:32 PM
Morrison and Schiff hot dogs are really AARONS/RUBASHKINS/DAVID'S/SHOR HABOR/AGRIPROCESSORS-POSTVILLE,IOWA---NATHAN'S KOSHER FRANKS ARE ALSO MADE BY RUBASHKIN AND ARE ALSO LOW QUALITY AND NON-GLATT

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
RE: Morrison and Schiff - Fri, 01/4/08 9:46 AM
joebenjamin,

If M&S did not sell out to Hebrew National in 1980 and continued in business, by now they most likely would have shut down their plant and outsourced production to someone like Agriprocessors. Look at all the zombie brands of frankfurters that Smithfield Foods makes, such as Esskay, an old Baltimore brand.

Were M&S frankfurters sold until 1980 Glatt Kosher?

The real issue to consumers is if the people who revive these nostalgia brands have the contract manufacturer prepare the product the same as before the sell out/bankruptcy/retirement of owner. In the case of Kosher foods, are the same dietary laws adhered to?

For those of us not of the Jewish faith, we just want to be sure there is no listeria or ecoli in the franks.

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Morrison and Schiff - Fri, 01/4/08 10:08 AM
I did try them, what can I say it's a hot dog.
There is a local Jewish deli close to one of my favorite breakfast spots in Peabody Ma. that has them.
My first time in this deli/butcher shop small but very nice. Just a counter and about 6 stools but they appear to do a big business mostly take out.
I purchased a one pound pkg. 10/1 I belive to take home for that rare occasion that I'd have one for lunch. They were tastey and if the opportunity or desire strikes I'd buy them again.
I also purchased some kinishes while there, must say they are the best I've ever had. But to be honest it's the first time I've ever had a kinish.
What have I've been missing all these years, will most definately return for those little bundles of joy.
The name of the deli is Larry Levine's on Lowell St. Peabody Ma.
I have to add the deli offerings appeared to be only cold items, no grill that I could see, they may offer hot soup though.
Oh! the breakfast spot {same strip of stores} Family Rest. 3 eggs, choice of meats, homefrys, juice coffee and 2 large pancakes all for $5.95 damn decient. The lunch offerings there are also great, worth the trip if in the area. Chow Jim