Mobile Vending Truck INSURANCE? NYC

Taco Bus
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Mobile Vending Truck INSURANCE? NYC - Mon, 07/24/06 6:16 PM
We're starting up a mobile vending truck here in Manhattan and I'm wondering if, in addition to standard auto insurance, there are any other insurance requirements for this type of operation.

Thanks to all who have been so generous in giving us advice thus far - these forums have been really great.

Best,
Ethan

Truckin
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Mobile Vending Truck INSURANCE? NYC - Wed, 07/26/06 6:17 AM
You will need some general liablity insurance, for people that jog into your cart and get hurt, extended into a product liability for people that burn themselves or get sick, etc. I'm surprised the City hasn't required it of you yet, but I'm not sure they will - I am not familiar with NYC.

Taco Bus
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Mobile Vending Truck INSURANCE? NYC - Wed, 07/26/06 3:07 PM
That makes sense, of course. But obviously this isn't part of your auto insurance right? Who offers this sort of coverage and how much can we expect to pay?

Thanks again,
Ethan

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Mobile Vending Truck INSURANCE? NYC - Wed, 07/26/06 5:10 PM
I would talk to whatever ins agent you use for home/auto, if they don't write the proper type of policy they can direct you to someone who does

Truckin
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Mobile Vending Truck INSURANCE? NYC - Wed, 07/26/06 5:12 PM
Mos def not part of your auto insurance. Although often called restaurant insurance or product liability insurance, it is basically insurance for the operations of your business. I'd talk to any local agents that handle commercial lines. Rates vary all over the place by region. The difference in cost between NYC and a suburban county in PA, for instance, is probably significant.