Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC

rbpalmer
  • Total Posts : 469
  • Reward points : 0
Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 1:42 PM
Next week, my family and I will be visiting some North Carolina colleges so that my eldest son, who is a rising high school senior, can decide where he wants to apply this fall. We will be staying in Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC and would appreciate any recommendations for dinner in those two locations.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 1:44 PM
Ri-Ra, an Irish restaurant on Tryon Steet in downtown Charlotte. One of my favorite places when visiting Charlotte. I never miss the leek soup.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7407
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 2:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Ri-Ra, an Irish restaurant on Tryon Steet in downtown Charlotte. One of my favorite places when visiting Charlotte. I never miss the leek soup.

We have one hear too in Rhode Island. It's a national chain- I never stepped foot inside so I couldn't tell you what its like.

The coffee cup cafe is an absolute must stop for lunch. I was there a couple of years ago- Outstanding regional southern food. The best Mac N Cheese I've ever had.

Scorereader
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 3:07 PM
big deal.

it's NOT a franchise. And the Charlotte location is the original, and owner David Kelly is often seen there. Sometimes manning the bar.

And seven restaurants, though they span from Charlotte, NC to Portland ME, could hardly be called "National."

I HAVE stepped foot inside the the Ri-Ra in Charlotte and loved it. Stick to the Irish dishes and you'll be very pleased. Be sure to try the Irish-creme brulee. awesome.

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 5:45 PM
I have 2 great hot dog joints for you. "Zack's" in Burlington and "Green's Lunch" in Charlotte.

And you will pass near some great barbecue (Lexington # 1)traveling between Burlington and Charlotte.

Scorereader
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 6:19 PM
to get to the Lexington BBQ places from Burlington, Take I-85 South (towards Charlotte), get on Business 85.

The turn-off is just after the Grandover Resort, which marked by a tall hotel looking building.

This will take you toward High Point and Thomasville and straight at Lexington. You'll see signs for many of the Lexington BBQs as you approach Lexington.

To head towards Charlotte, just get back on Bus. 85-S, Rt. 29S or even Rt. 52, and they'll all swing you back onto I-85 towards Charlotte.

wanderingjew
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 6:29 PM
quote:

big deal.

And seven restaurants, though they span from Charlotte, NC to Portland ME, could hardly be called "National."

Well, maybe not, but it's still practically the eastern seaboard which is a pretty broad region.

I don't know, there just seems to be alot of "contrived" Irish Pubs lately that are springing up as chains everywhere. I found out that one just opened up in Mt Lebanon PA where I lived for 5 years just south of Pittsburgh in the Uptown district, I think it's called Molly McGuires ore something like that- I just hope it doesn't put the Saloon of Mt Lebanon out of business a venerable establishment that's been around for a while.

I have a great Irish pub a mile away from me,in Warwick Ward's Publick house, in fact they were once listed in Esquire Magazine as one of the top 10 Irish Pubs in the country and the owner who has been her in the US for almost 40 years still has a thick Irish Brogue.

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3667
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 6:29 PM
quote:

big deal.

it's NOT a franchise. And the Charlotte location is the original, and owner David Kelly is often seen there. Sometimes manning the bar.

I HAVE stepped foot inside the the Ri-Ra in Charlotte and loved it. Stick to the Irish dishes and you'll be very pleased. Be sure to try the Irish-creme brulee. awesome.

Ri Ra Holdings, LLC is the parent company of the Ri Ra Irish Pubs & Restaurant chain. Ri Ra is currently the majority owner of companies operating Ri Ra Irish Pubs & Restaurants in Charlotte NC, Arlington VA, Atlantic City NJ, Burlington VT, Providence RI, Portland, ME and Bethesda, MD.

Interesting................their home site cals it a chain.

novaleo
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 6:33 PM
Try Carolina BBQ on Tryon St. off of I-26. It is marvelous and the portions will feed two easily! It is a great place and a very reasonable dinner.

You will enjoy it.

Novaleo

Scorereader
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 7:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

quote:

big deal.

Ri Ra Holdings, LLC is the parent company of the Ri Ra Irish Pubs & Restaurant chain. Ri Ra is currently the majority owner of companies operating Ri Ra Irish Pubs & Restaurants in Charlotte NC, Arlington VA, Atlantic City NJ, Burlington VT, Providence RI, Portland, ME and Bethesda, MD.

Interesting................their home site cals it a chain.

Greymo:
I said, it wasn't a "franchise." obviously, if there's more than one location, its a chain.

I find it intersting you can't read someone's post correctly.

WJ, I certainly wouldn't catagorize the Ri-Ra in Charlotte as a "contrived" Irish Pub.

David Kelly and Ciaran Sheenan are both from Dublin.
Typically, they buy and restore long closed pubs that have been sitting in storage, and ship them here to the US.

Especially the original one in Charlotte. Which also used material from both Catholic and Protestant churches that had been destroyed to help build the interior.

since Greymo felt the need to quote the website, here's a quote about Ri-Ra: The Ri Ra goal is to deliver the quintessential Irish Pub experience. Ri Ra is meticulous in pursuit of this goal, from sourcing authentic and often famous old pubs in Ireland such as the Olympia Theatre, which first opened in Dublin in 1879. Once restored and shipped to the US, Ri Ra follows through with a sizable investment in its most valuable resource, people.

Seven places, and you people feel the need to rip it down, and you've never been there. LOVE IT!

And, personally, I could give a crap if the other 6 places suck. I've been to the Ri-Ra on Tryon Street and I, along with my wife, a bunch of friends from both NC and DC, who also agree that the Ri-Ra in Charlotte is excellent.

Whether the person who started the thread goes there or not, I don't care. It was simply a suggestion. Take it or leave it.

Enjoy Burlington and Charlotte.

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3667
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 7:51 PM
Scorekeeper,

I do indeed know how to read. I merely pointed out that I thought it was very interesting that they called themselves a "chain"

wanderingjew
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 07/25/06 10:16 PM
quote:

Originally posted by Greymo

big deal.
Seven places, and you people feel the need to rip it down, and you've never been there. LOVE IT!

Scorereader, I wasn't ripping the place down, I've never been there, I only do that to places I've been to.
All I said was that I doubt I would ever make it to the one in Providence because of the Local Pub just around the corner from me.
If any of you are curious here's the website www.wardspublickhouse.com

Scorereader
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Wed, 07/26/06 1:19 PM
sorry guys. I'm reading WAY TOO into these posts.

I told ya I needed a vacation! Which I'm on...so, I'll leave the computer now.
Adieu.

and, I'd go to Wards Publick House anytime. Looks great.

In DC, "The Dubliner" is my favorite. It's owned by Daniel Coleman.
Syracuseans would recognize his name. He's the son of the founder of the famed "Coleman's" in Syracuse, NY which opened in 1933. His brother Peter Coleman is the owner there now.
So, Daniel grew up in the Irish Pub tradition, and has, IMO the best Irish Pub in DC (although, some Washingtonians would argue that Ireland Four Corners (formerly Ireland's Four Provinces "The Four P's) is the best.)

rbpalmer
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Thu, 07/27/06 4:26 PM
Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) at Hursey's BBQ or Harbor Inn or Mayflower Seafood restaurants in Burlington?

rbpalmer
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Fri, 08/11/06 10:23 PM
Since you all were kind enough to give me some suggestions, I though I would fill you in about our college tour and let you know where we ended up eating (or at least give you the highlights). We visited six colleges over a period of four days: Elon University in Elon College, NC, UNC-Asheville in Asheville, NC, Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, Furman in Greenville, SC, and Emory University and Morehouse College in Atlanta. (Of these schools, Furman was my son's first choice, followed by Elon, Emory, Morehouse, UNCA and Johnson C. Smith.) The culinary high points of our tour were the Moose Cafe in Asheville, Mert's Heart and Soul in Charlotte, Mary Mac's Tea Room and Pappadeaux in (or near) Atlanta, and, of course, Lexington #1 in Lexington, NC.

Given the area of the country that we were visiting, I wanted to make sure that we ate some good Southern cooking, and this was what was featured at the Moose Cafe, Mert's Heart and Soul and Mary Mac's Tea Room.

The Moose Cafe is located next to a great, and very extensive, farmer's market in Asheville, and you can tell that they get their vegetables there, because they are absolutely fresh, well-seasoned and -prepared, and delicious. They also have great fried chicken, and the biggest, fluffiest and best biscuits that I've had in a long time. I had a barbeque platter, which consisted of chopped pork and chicken, and, while it didn't measure up to the 'que I had earlier at Stamey's in Greensboro or the barbeque we had later at Lexington #1, it was still pretty good. The peach cobbler that I had for dessert was made in-house and was also very good. This place is a roadfood classic, with rock-bottom prices (the four of us had a great, full dinner for about $35) and plenty of local color.

I seriously considered eating at the Coffee Cup Grille in Charlotte, based on the recommendations of posters to this site, but, after reading an article about the place on the Charlotte Observer website, I found out that there had been a change of ownership, and I got the impression that the quality of the food had declined. I can't provide the URL because the article has apparently been removed from the website. So we ate at Mert's instead, based on another review on the Observer website. http://events.charlotte.com/reviews/show/16834-review-merts-heart-soul We weren't disappointed. Although we had trouble finding a parking space in downtown Charlotte due to the presence of the American Idol tour at the nearby Charlotte Coliseum, once we got into the restaurant, everything was fine. I had salmon cakes, collard greens and candied yams. The 'cakes and yams were delicious.The collards were tasty, but I have to admit that I would have preferred that they be cooked with a ham hock, which they weren't, for health reasons. I'm all for healthy eating, but sometimes you've got to add a little fat. Again, the peach cobbler was very good.

In Atlanta, I was tempted to go to Pittypat's Porch, based on a recommendation from my uncle, rather than Mary Mac's Tea Room. However, I read several internet reviews from posters who had eaten there, and who had said that it was basically a tourist trap. I'm glad we went to Mary Mac's. The food was great, the prices were low and the service was fast and friendly. There was a retired employee who went from table to table, asking people how their food was and giving people impromptu back massages. I had roast pork with dressing and gravy, with candied yams and cabbage, which was all very good. The rest of the family had fried chicken, which they greatly enjoyed, and the peach cobbler was the best I had on the whole trip. The next evening, we ate at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen, which, as I've explained at length in other posts, is one of my favorite places to eat. Suffice it to say that it was by far the most expensive meal we had on the trip, we all left stuffed to the gills, and we all loved it.

Finally, on the drive back to DC from Atlanta, we stopped for lunch at Lexington #1. We had a little trouble finding the place and I think that my wife got a bit frustrated, but I absolutely was not going to spend so much time driving around and through North Carolina without stopping here. And we weren't disapointed. The chopped 'que, hushpuppies and slaw were outstanding

rbpalmer
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 02/6/07 4:51 PM
Does Zack's in Burlington have anything of note other than hot dogs? Does anyone have any suggestions for Burlington, NC other than Zack's? My son and I are going back to Elon College weekend after next for a couple of days, and last time we were down there, we ended up eating dinner at Applebees for lack of a better place to go.

Dsorgnzd
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Wed, 02/7/07 11:12 AM

steveindurham
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Wed, 02/7/07 11:43 AM
Sidetracks is a restaurant in Burlington that is pretty good.

steveindurham
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Wed, 02/7/07 11:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by steveindurham

Sidetracks is a restaurant in Burlington that is pretty good.

tcrouzer
  • Total Posts : 430
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Thu, 02/8/07 9:29 AM
This is my neck of the woods, so I hope I can help! Yes, Sidetracks is quite good and just around the corner from Elon U - the restaurant faces the railroad tracks. I recommend the fried oyster sandwich, their crab cakes, and the grilled chicken salad or any salad.

Elon University is just about the prettiest campus anyone could imagine. Enjoy your visit!

Nearby in Burlington proper is B. Christopher's and B.'s Bistro on Church Street. Vesuvious Pizza also on Church Street is very good for pizza. Maria's (Italian) is in a small shopping strip near the Lowe's store - very good and good value. I like the Saltimboca and the lasagna. Sal's (Italian, good pizza) is on Huffman Mill Road between the interstate and Church Street. A good Chinese place is
Asian Taste on Saint Mark's Church Road (near the intersection of 70/Church Street and Williamson Ave. which leads to Elon). They also have sushi - but I can't vouch for that as I don't do sushi.

For BBQ, Hursey's down Church St. going East toward town is good and their broasted chicken is really good. I prefer Huey's hot dogs at the Westbrook/Food Lion shopping center near the Church St./Williamson Ave. intersection. Their BBQ and their Brunswick Stew is popular also.

Have a great time visiting in NC and do not miss Lexington BBQ on Business 85! Hope this helps.

Teresa in Burlington

rbpalmer
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Mon, 02/12/07 10:48 AM
Thanks, Theresa. I won't be able to make it to Lexington on this trip, but I have eaten at Lexington #1 before, and you're right, it's great. During our drive from Asheville to Burlington, however, I plan on stopping either at Keaton's in Cleveland, NC or Stamey's in Greensboro, and we'll definitely try some of the places in Burlington that you have so graciously suggested.

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Wed, 07/9/08 4:30 PM
Is there a post missing from this thread. The last one I see is from 2007.

Scorereader
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Wed, 07/9/08 5:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by agnesrob

Is there a post missing from this thread. The last one I see is from 2007.

I too wondered why it popped up.
rbpalmer edited a 2007 post, so it refreshed the thread.

BTW - The Ri-ra in Bethesda, MD was nothing compared to the experience I had in Charlotte, NC. The decor was really cool (an old Dublin theatre relocated to Bethesda), but the total experience was not as good.
As for Irish pubs in DC, The Dubliner is still the best.

Also, I've suddenly remembered being told, when I lived in G'boro, to go to a particular restaurant in Burlington. I'm going to have to put on my thinking cap to put the name out of the recesses of my noggin...

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 05/25/10 10:33 PM

rbpalmer, et. al:

I'm clear on the Elon / Burlington, North Carolina recommendations but how about dining recommendations BETWEEN say Charlottesville and Danville, Virginia on Route 29 en route to these Tar Heel State locales

Play27
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Wed, 05/26/10 11:54 AM
South of Danville in reisdville is Short Sugars

i95
Re:Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Wed, 05/26/10 3:16 PM
Play27

How the heck did I miss that when such very place is clearly listed on this very site's "Restaurant" tab (under "North Carolina")? Regardless, thank you, Play27. This is PRECISELY what I was looking for and I look forward to hitting the 61-year-old "true North Carolina landmark" this weekend.

Again, thanks!

CUTiger78
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Fri, 05/28/10 2:37 PM
novaleo

Try Carolina BBQ on Tryon St. off of I-26. 

Gonna be hard to find since I-26 doesn't get within 60 or 70 miles of Charlotte.

Tiger Fan

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Fri, 05/28/10 8:03 PM
I say, it's a relief Clemson taught you how to read a map!

i95
Re:Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Sun, 06/6/10 5:08 PM
Play27

Went here on Memorial Day around 7:00 pm. And while certainly not necessarily set-up for success (couldn't find the place; the place appearing closed due to no cars in the parking lot and the place's tinted front windows making them look like they were expecting The Travelin Man; the place a tad end-of-the-day filthy; and the place shutting-off its grill two hours before closing limiting you to order things, well, not grilled), the Q was superb. Minced, succulent and served with hush puppies and beans. Superb. My fellow two travellers ordered a BLT and a hot dog and various sides (including the North Carolina mandated-by-law ordering of Cheerwine). You just have to love a place whose tab for three for dinner totalled less than 14-dollars. 

i95
Re:Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Sun, 06/6/10 5:51 PM
BTW, our real find in Burlington and previously only mentioned once on this site by poster tcrouzer here: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=408038 -- and only found by us by seeing an advance copy of their menu which you can see online here: http://delancysrestaurant..ry.attractionsbook.com/  -- was:

Delancy's Restaurant

(http://delancysrestaurant.com/home)

2432 Tribek Court, Burlington, North Carolina  27215, 336 / 437-8373)

The eleven-year-old and family-owned restaurant serves what they tout as "home cooking aka comfort food." The place isn't much to look at (centered in a ubiquitous strip mall) but I might just sell my first born to return here again. Simply fantastic. Homemade entrees and desserts. I can't, for the life of me, remmber what my dining companions had when we were here last Tuesday as I was so myopic in the glorious plate before me and which included Delancy's chicken pie (billed as purposely not having "any vegetables to get in your way") and adorned with six small pastry crust orbs floating atop minced white meat chicken in a homey yellow rue along with pork-infused green beans and what I would call the piece de resistance, sweet potato casserole -- think an ice cream scoop mound of pureed sweet potatoes blended with butter, brown sugar and pecans. Seriously, that first born is already sold.

Delancy's already has its foodie fans (see: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/502281) and I am delighted to consider myself amongst them.

i95
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Thu, 11/18/10 1:11 PM
rbpalmer

...Zack's in Burlington...

Visited here this past Saturday and simply loved it. I know that Zack's is featured this week on this site's latest "Restaurant Reviews" and it is, indeed, the real deal. A front window showcasing a grill full of dogs (a la Ben's Chili Bowl in D.C.), 1955 prices ($ 1.40 for a hot dog, $ 1.79 for an "all beef" burger) and great service. Our party of six ordered everthing from dogs, to burgers (kids loved them) to even an egg sandwich made by our waiter, himself. Simply great.

(BTW, in ordering one of my hot dogs with onions, mustard and relish, our waiter whimsically albeit seriously claimed that there's no relish in North Carolina. Seriously, is pickle relish frowned-upon in the south? What's up wit' 'dat? )

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Fri, 11/19/10 10:07 AM
You just don't see it reached for here.  Either people are fixated on more local things like chow-chow or people are used to slaw dogs and it just doesn't go on a slaw dog.  That's my two cents.  Others' mileage may definitely vary.  So is it work or family that's taking you to Charlotte?

i95
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Mon, 11/22/10 8:27 AM
Nancypalooza

So is it work or family that's taking you to Charlotte?

It was Burlington and it was family.

ayersian
  • Total Posts : 897
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Mon, 11/29/10 1:32 PM
i95, have you eaten at Hursey's BBQ in Burlington?  We stopped there while on the NC BBQ Trail.  There's more hot dog joints in Burlington to explore...  Chris

tcrouzer
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Mon, 11/29/10 1:54 PM
Zack's hot dogs are o.k. once in a while, but for taste, I prefer the dogs at J&G Bar-B-Que, 3519 S. Church St. next door to the Food Lion and near the intersection of Williamson Ave. that takes you to Elon University. Actually, I had a pretty good hot dog at Mayberry, 1356 S. Church St. in Burlington. just last week. And you can get some good ice cream treats there too. Mayberry is near the City Park and our lovely restored carousel.

Ayersian, can you list other places for good hot dogs in my fair city?
Teresa

ayersian
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Mon, 11/29/10 5:56 PM
Teresa, my uncle writes for the local paper there and frequents the following spots:
  1. Boston Sandwich Shop, -- my father and he swear by this place. I haven't been since I was little, but my father likes the chili here better than Zack's.
  2. Sharkey's Grill, 203 S. Anthony St. -- my uncle says these are the best, from Prince Charles and Lady Di (the owners, maybe?).
  3. Rich's Drive-In, Chapel Hill Rd. -- my uncle says these are on par with BSS.
Hope this helps!  And thanks for the extra listings above!    Chris

tcrouzer
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Mon, 11/29/10 6:48 PM
Umm?.....Boston Sandwich Shop?.....(shudders). I haven't eaten there since I was in junior high. But I will try Sharkey's...not sure if Rich's or Ritchie's is still open. Did I go to school with your uncle or your dad? What year did they graduate high school?

ayersian
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 11/30/10 9:56 AM
tcrouzer

Umm?.....Boston Sandwich Shop?.....(shudders). I haven't eaten there since I was in junior high. But I will try Sharkey's...not sure if Rich's or Ritchie's is still open. Did I go to school with your uncle or your dad? What year did they graduate high school?

Very interesting...my father likes BSS's chili better than Zack's because it doesn't give him indigestion!  I'd say he eats at BSS on 4 out of 5 trips to Burlington.  My uncle and he are from Michigan, actually; both graduated from high school in the mid-'50s.  My father travels through Burlington a lot, and my uncle drives there 2-3 days a week from his home in VA.   Chris

i95
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 11/30/10 10:41 AM
ayersian
...my uncle drives there 2-3 days a week from his home in VA. 

Chris, tell me, does your uncle still avoid the paved roads when running his shine?

ayersian
RE: Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 11/30/10 3:39 PM
i95

ayersian
...my uncle drives there 2-3 days a week from his home in VA. 

Chris, tell me, does your uncle still avoid the paved roads when running his shine?

i95!  Nope, but he has a great cover: he pens the outdoors column for the Burlington paper!  He also thinks I should can RF.com and go into advertising...  Chris

i95
Re:Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Tue, 11/30/10 3:44 PM

i95
Re:Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC - Thu, 05/19/11 9:53 AM

Hit Burlington's Zack's Hot Dogs again yesterday for lunch. The place was packed and the food both cheap (we're talking $ 1.38 hot dogs here, people) and delicious. I'm not sure what anyone else can ask for (except for some freakin' relish maybe).