Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
  • Total Posts : 2096
  • Reward points : 0
Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Thu, 08/3/06 11:07 PM
Anyone seeking the ultimate mapping experience must download the following Roadfood.com place-markers for Google Earth. You can find it here: http://www.roadfood.com/insider/maps/DownloadGoogleEarth.aspx . Be prepared to see the coolest Roadfood.com feature ever! The map only contains the restaurants in Ohio, but it is well worth the download to see what we are going to release over the next week or two.

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Thu, 08/3/06 11:50 PM
That's fun! But I just put Google Earth on a new computer, and now I'm hungry. . . . Did you have to do that to me?

Now I'm waiting for LA, TN, NC, and NM. Sigh. . . .

sizz
  • Total Posts : 1682
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Thu, 08/3/06 11:53 PM
Thanks Stephen ..and congratulations on a great job.
Isn't today's technology great? isn't Google Earth fantastic? isn't Silicon Valley vibrant? isn't San Jose California home of all the above one exciting place to live. ................ Frank

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 1:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

Thanks Stephen ..and congratulations on a great job.
Isn't today's technology great? isn't Google Earth fantastic? isn't Silicon Valley vibrant? isn't San Jose California home of all the above one exciting place to live. ................ Frank
The last time I was in San Jose was fall of 1961. Have things changed?

sizz
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 1:25 AM
quote:
Rick F. Posted - 08/04/2006 : 01:03:38
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last time I was in San Jose was fall of 1961. Have things changed?

have things change?? ......in 61 San Jose was best known for it's prunes,apricots and tomatoes............ lol
Yes Rick, thing have indeed changed here in the 10th largest city in the United States and the 3rd largest on the west coast.

Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 3:41 AM
Stephen, I have just spent a few hours zooming in and out of the beta version of the Google map for the whole USA. This is addictive! ... and unbelievably helpful as Jane and I are planning an upcoming trip west. My hat is off to you!

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13385
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 6:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Anyone seeking the ultimate mapping experience must download the following Roadfood.com place-markers for Google Earth. You can find it here: http://www.roadfood.com/insider/maps/DownloadGoogleEarth.aspx . Be prepared to see the coolest Roadfood.com feature ever! The map only contains the restaurants in Ohio, but it is well worth the download to see what we are going to release over the next week or two.

Stephen, I downloaded Google earth several years ago. It is really neat and I cannot wait until the resolution improves. It is fun to explore your areas that you are familar with.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 8:42 AM
Outstanding! I love Google Earth, and this is a great addition. Thanks.

I wonder why the resolution in some states allows you to see actual buildings, while in others it is no where close to that kind of detail.

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 9:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

Outstanding! I love Google Earth, and this is a great addition. Thanks.

I wonder why the resolution in some states allows you to see actual buildings, while in others it is no where close to that kind of detail.

The reason is because Google has a series of aerial flyovers they have compiled from various agencies (state and local governments) that they have 'mosaicked' together. You can see the transition of resolution changes, it's immediate. In all cases, it's also on a straight line or grid like pattern. Different agencies have different operating budgets that allow them to order flyovers with better resolution. The comparison is similar to a digital camera with degrees of megapixels. It's called raster imagery. Think a series of perfect square cells. The smaller the cell, the greater the resolution, and thus, the higher the cost to the agency who ordered the aerial flyover. I am currently working with imagery cell size of .3 x .3 meters, or a foot squared. That's ok, but when you zoom in really tight, it starts blocking. There are cell sizes much more compact these days. I am certain that larger entities such as New York City, Los Angeles, Atlanta, etc, have sharper imagery than say that of rural South Dakota. If you zoom out to the national level, you can see where some states had flyovers in their entirety, based on the difference in coloring with regard to cell shading. This is impacted by the time of year the flyover was done. For example, I think Missouri (or was it Indiana) looks noticeably browner or tan than adjoining states. There is a chance the flyover could have been done en masse over a series of days during a year when there was a drought. One thing you won't normally see is a flyover done after a snowfall, for obvious reasons. I hope this explains it somewhat.

Tony Bad
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 10:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik
I hope this explains it somewhat.

It certainly does! Thanks for taking the time to write that. I have noticed what you described, where one state is very detailed, yet bordering states are not.

ctrueder
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 10:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

Stephen, I have just spent a few hours zooming in and out of the beta version of the Google map for the whole USA. This is addictive! ... and unbelievably helpful as Jane and I are planning an upcoming trip west. My hat is off to you!

Michael: When are you guys headed West?

The missus and I are leaving on October 28th for two weeks to the Southwest. Flying into Phoenix, renting a SUV and hittin' the road . . . looking for good Roadfood and good scenery in Arizona, Utah, and So. Cal.

We always travel by the "seat of our pants" so to speak, taking our trusty Atlas and a list of "must sees."

We're hoping that by late October, the weather will have cooled, and, of course, the "travelin' kids" will be back in school.

Will look forward to cour comments on the trip.

tamandmik
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 11:04 AM
The state I mentioned before is Indiana, and the reason why it's noticeably different is because evidently the state felt compelled to spend a premium on their aerial flyover. Zoom to Indiana on the Illinois border, and see how much more crisp Indiana's imagery is. The pixelization is much higher than adjoining states.

Tony Bad
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 11:42 AM
quote:

The state I mentioned before is Indiana, and the reason why it's noticeably different is because evidently the state felt compelled to spend a premium on their aerial flyover. Zoom to Indiana on the Illinois border, and see how much more crisp Indiana's imagery is. The pixelization is much higher than adjoining states.

I noticed the same about Massachussetts. Ted Kennedy must have tacked a high quality fly over onto some bill he pushed through congress!

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 11:46 AM
Zoom into Atlanta once... They have really hi-res pics of that town...

tamandmik
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 1:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:

I noticed the same about Massachussetts. Ted Kennedy must have tacked a high quality fly over onto some bill he pushed through congress!

Massachusetts Geographic Information Systems state program is top shelf. They seem to spare no expense when it comes to data.

http://mass.gov/mgis/massgis.htm

This explains their high res on Google Earth:
http://mass.gov/mgis/colororthos2005.htm

Thier pixel resolution is an astounding 45cm!!

This is their data warehouse. I've accessed a lot cool things here before.

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 1:23 PM
It's cool, but unless you purchase the big package, aren't the images like three years old?

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
  • Total Posts : 2096
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 3:19 PM
** UPDATE ** The Roadfood data points now support the entire country. Enjoy =)

Tony Bad
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Fri, 08/4/06 4:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

** UPDATE ** The Roadfood data points now support the entire country. Enjoy =)

OUTSTANDING!...and yes, I AM shouting!!

Thanks a bunch, this is great...other than the fact it is yet another thing to keep me from my work!

sizz
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Mon, 08/7/06 12:33 PM
quote:
Tony Bad Posted - 08/04/2006 : 11:42:02
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes indeed old Ted Kennedy lobbied congress on behalf of the entire Kennedy family to have the best quality satellite photos of the Cape Cod region. you see the Kennedy family depend heavily each morning on Googel Earth to locate there automobiles from the night before.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5357
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Sun, 08/13/06 7:19 PM
WowW totally cool.

MikeS.

pmrkr2
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Upcoming Feature - Roadfood.com w/Google Earth - Sat, 10/7/06 3:31 AM
great feature