Can't get good scrambled eggs

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 63
Author Message
zoetmb
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/6/2006
  • Location: New York, NY
Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sun, 08/6/06 11:32 AM
0
I find that most restaurants no longer know the difference between fried eggs and scrambled eggs - they tend to make them both the same. And when you order eggs scrambled, no one knows how to make them french style: fluffy and wet. Most places overcook the eggs.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/7/2003
  • Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sun, 08/6/06 11:37 AM
0
Then I guess you'll have to either make your own or keep trying different restaurants.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sun, 08/6/06 12:07 PM
0
If I want soft scrambled eggs I order them that way, and that's how they come.

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/20/2004
  • Location: Madison, WI
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sun, 08/6/06 12:13 PM
0
I find that when I make them at home, I don't put them in a bowl first. Just throw a little BUTTER in a non-stick pan, heat up a bit and break in 3 or 4 eggs. Immediately start to stir and in a minute or so, they are perfect. Remove quickly as they will continue to cook off the heat. I like them with some fresh pico de gallo and some sliced avocado.

ctrueder
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/28/2006
  • Location: Columbia, MD
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sun, 08/6/06 1:29 PM
0
zoetmb:

Guess I've been lucky, but I usually get pretty good scrambled eggs when I tell 'em how I want them done. In fact, my experience has been that places tend to overcook "fried" eggs more so than "scrambled."

I don't like my fried eggs with ANY brown, crispy bottom or edges.

But, like you, I prefer my scrambled eggs fluffy.

Of course, when I fix my eggs myself, they are PERFECT!

BTB
  • Total Posts : 207
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/25/2004
  • Location: St. Petersburg, FL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sun, 08/6/06 3:44 PM
0
I agree with zoetmb that most places greatly overcook scrambled eggs. I like mine light and fluffy and not overcooked and dry, and unlike one suggestion, the best scrambled eggs are not scrambled in the pan after cracking the eggs. Sometimes I think whipping or blending them beforehand has the effect of making good scrambled eggs. Last weekend we ate in a new restaurant in Orland Park, IL and I had two scrambled eggs. They were so light, fluffy and delicious, I would swear they were 4 scrambled eggs rather than just two. Not one hint (i.e, browned) of being burnt or overcooked. Anyway, that's the way I like my scrambled eggs.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/11/2006
  • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sun, 08/6/06 4:15 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by BTB

I agree with zoetmb that most places greatly overcook scrambled eggs. I like mine light and fluffy and not overcooked and dry, and unlike one suggestion, the best scrambled eggs are not scrambled in the pan after cracking the eggs. Sometimes I think whipping or blending them beforehand has the effect of making good scrambled eggs. Last weekend we ate in a new restaurant in Orland Park, IL and I had two scrambled eggs. They were so light, fluffy and delicious, I would swear they were 4 scrambled eggs rather than just two. Not one hint (i.e, browned) of being burnt or overcooked. Anyway, that's the way I like my scrambled eggs.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/11/2006
  • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sun, 08/6/06 4:28 PM
0
=== Sometimes I think whipping or blending them beforehand has the effect of making good scrambled eggs.===

HHHmmmm. I seem to be screwing up today. I had something to say for the last post and earlier today, I completely lost a post regarding ballpark food.
For good scrambled eggs, you should beat them real well until you don't see any whites. Add a little water too, but not too much. Butter adds a nice flavor, but I seem to find myself using an oil sprayer that just mists the pan. You need a pan to get them right.

Regarding restaurants that can't seem to get scrambles right, I'll wager that they are trying to cook them on a flat-top griddle instead of a pan.

mark

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/27/2005
  • Location: Huntsville, AL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Tue, 08/8/06 12:21 PM
0
I whip mine up and add about a teaspoon of water to them before scrambling. This seems to make them fluffy and moist, but not watery.

Cinnabonbon
  • Total Posts : 149
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/1/2006
  • Location: Planet Earth, CA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/9/06 12:42 AM
0
I add a spoonfull of sour cream or milk to the eggs. I know I've heard it makes them tough and to add water instead. I found mine are fluffy and softer with sour cream.

fhoran
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/27/2006
  • Location: Walpole, MA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Tue, 08/15/06 8:00 PM
0
quote:



Regarding restaurants that can't seem to get scrambles right, I'll wager that they are trying to cook them on a flat-top griddle instead of a pan.

mark


When I did short order, back in my misspent youth, that was how you did it. You poured the beaten eggs on the griddle, chopped them up, stirred them around and Voila! - a perfect cross between a bad omelet and bad scrambled eggs. My kids actually like it when I make "scrambled eggs" this way for them. I think that's to pay me back for some forgotten sins I may have committed in a past life. Fred

blizzardstormus
  • Total Posts : 274
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/1/2004
  • Location: Atlanic, IA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Tue, 08/15/06 9:28 PM
0
Doggydaddy & fhoran are correct. Consistently dry scrambled eggs are the result of using a flat-top griddle to cook the eggs. The eggs spread out too much. The best way to cook eggs is in a 6" saute pan. Whip the eggs with a fork until frothy (or use a blender like the Waffle House cooks). Spray your pan with cooking spray and add some butter. Keep your fire a amedium-low heat. When the butter is melted, add your eggs, slightly tilt your pan & gently lift the cooked edges with a rubber spatula until the eggs are done. DO NOT CHOP the eggs! Instant dryness.

I am continually frustrated with dry eggs and I own a restaurant. My breakfast cooks CANNOT cook eggs in saute pans. It may be a Midwestern thing.
It doesn't matter how much I show them or how much they practice. They just can't get the knack of it.



Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Tue, 08/15/06 9:46 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by blizzardstormus

Doggydaddy & fhoran are correct. Consistently dry scrambled eggs are the result of using a flat-top griddle to cook the eggs. The eggs spread out too much. The best way to cook eggs is in a 6" saute pan. Whip the eggs with a fork until frothy (or use a blender like the Waffle House cooks). Spray your pan with cooking spray and add some butter. Keep your fire a amedium-low heat. When the butter is melted, add your eggs, slightly tilt your pan & gently lift the cooked edges with a rubber spatula until the eggs are done. DO NOT CHOP the eggs! Instant dryness.

I am continually frustrated with dry eggs and I own a restaurant. My breakfast cooks CANNOT cook eggs in saute pans. It may be a Midwestern thing.
It doesn't matter how much I show them or how much they practice. They just can't get the knack of it.




Not to put too fine a point on it, but they use the mixer at the Waffle House for omlets, only, not for scrambled eggs.

blizzardstormus
  • Total Posts : 274
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/1/2004
  • Location: Atlanic, IA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Tue, 08/15/06 9:57 PM
0
I guess I only had omelets at the Waffle House so I didn't notice how they did scrambled eggs. I liked how their omelets turned out so that's how I do my personal scrambled eggs. Thanks for catching my error.


Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Tue, 08/15/06 10:03 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by blizzardstormus

I guess I only had omelets at the Waffle House so I didn't notice how they did scrambled eggs. I liked how their omelets turned out so that's how I do my personal scrambled eggs. Thanks for catching my error.



No error. Easy to do. They scramble their eggs in 7-inch saute pans. They do their omlets in 8-inch saute pans.

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/11/2005
  • Location: Bergen County, NJ
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Tue, 08/15/06 10:47 PM
0
I think a sign of a good diner is one that does eggs correctly. The best ones actually make a distinction between over-easy, over-medium and over hard. I really hate when I order "scrambled" and they bring a plain omelette. They are NOT the same thing.

Julia Child once did a wonderful episode on cooking eggs (as did my personal cooking hero Alton Brown). Anyone know if Julia's old PBS shows are out there on DVD?

fhoran
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/27/2006
  • Location: Walpole, MA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/16/06 7:16 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by blizzardstormus

Doggydaddy & fhoran are correct. Consistently dry scrambled eggs are the result of using a flat-top griddle to cook the eggs. The eggs spread out too much. The best way to cook eggs is in a 6" saute pan. Whip the eggs with a fork until frothy (or use a blender like the Waffle House cooks). Spray your pan with cooking spray and add some butter. Keep your fire a amedium-low heat. When the butter is melted, add your eggs, slightly tilt your pan & gently lift the cooked edges with a rubber spatula until the eggs are done. DO NOT CHOP the eggs! Instant dryness.

I am continually frustrated with dry eggs and I own a restaurant. My breakfast cooks CANNOT cook eggs in saute pans. It may be a Midwestern thing.
It doesn't matter how much I show them or how much they practice. They just can't get the knack of it.


Now that method sounds more like how I cook an omelet. As it's cooking you can add herbs, cheese, meat etc. I like feta cheese, alfalfa sprouts and a little dijon mustard which is weird because I am usually more of a "the more meat, the merrier" kind of guy. When it's still wet, you do the usual "fold out onto a plate" thing. Fred

fhoran
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/27/2006
  • Location: Walpole, MA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/16/06 7:20 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho

I find that when I make them at home, I don't put them in a bowl first. Just throw a little BUTTER in a non-stick pan, heat up a bit and break in 3 or 4 eggs. Immediately start to stir and in a minute or so, they are perfect. Remove quickly as they will continue to cook off the heat. I like them with some fresh pico de gallo and some sliced avocado.


Pancho, first welcome aboard! Your method is how I grew up making scrambled eggs and didn't think anyone else ever did them that way. Haven't made them that way in years - they have a very different texture than ones that are whisked first in the bowl and they take a bit longer because you need to do them over fairly low heat so they scramble and don't fry. I am going to spring them on my family this weekend - thanks for the reminder! Fred

blinky193
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/10/2006
  • Location: Mars, PA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/16/06 9:29 AM
0
The best and most trusting way I get good scrambled eggs is making them myself, at home. I put the eggs in a deep bowl, add milk, salt, pepper, and sometimes will season them with oregano and garlic powder. But, the trick to keeping them fluffy is to use a thunder stick to beat them, just before you put them in the skillet to cook over a medium heat. This way, there is still a lot of air in them, and that's what keeps them fluffly. I will stir them quite often too, instead of letting them lay there and cook up like you would an omelet.

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/14/2005
  • Location: Sharon, MA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/16/06 10:24 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

I think a sign of a good diner is one that does eggs correctly. The best ones actually make a distinction between over-easy, over-medium and over hard. I really hate when I order "scrambled" and they bring a plain omelette. They are NOT the same thing.

Julia Child once did a wonderful episode on cooking eggs (as did my personal cooking hero Alton Brown). Anyone know if Julia's old PBS shows are out there on DVD?


The early "French Chef" series is at least partially available on DVD. Of course WGBH will only offer it as a member premium, but you can buy it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006VXMHG/103-1990042-5760613?v=glance&n=130

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/15/2003
  • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/16/06 3:23 PM
0
Blinky, what's a thunder stick? Sounds like a piece of dynamite.

xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/18/2005
  • Location: albuquerque, NM
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/16/06 3:40 PM
0
perhaps a thunder stick is an immersion mixer?
i call mine a boat motor

blinky193
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/10/2006
  • Location: Mars, PA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/16/06 3:57 PM
0
Yes, a thunderstick is a one shaft hand mixer with a blade at the end of the shaft and a power button on the handle that is immersable in liquids. They can be used to rapidly beat your eggs, use them in a pot of bean soup to thicken it, etc. You can find them on line and in most kitchen shops. Most of them are called a thunderstick, so if you ask someone in a kitchen store, or type that word on-line, you'll be able to find one.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/16/06 4:54 PM
0
I just use a whisk and that keeps them fluffy. I never add salt, though. I find that salt toughens eggs as they cook.

fhoran
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/27/2006
  • Location: Walpole, MA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/16/06 7:53 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by blinky193

Yes, a thunderstick is a one shaft hand mixer with a blade at the end of the shaft and a power button on the handle that is immersable in liquids. They can be used to rapidly beat your eggs, use them in a pot of bean soup to thicken it, etc. You can find them on line and in most kitchen shops. Most of them are called a thunderstick, so if you ask someone in a kitchen store, or type that word on-line, you'll be able to find one.


I was thinking about starting a new thread "So what gadget do you own and never use?" I have one of these things that someone gave me for christmas and have never opened. Does it do a better job on eggs than a whisk? I make an omelet kind of thing that I cook in the oven. Whisk til frothy a bunch of eggs and a bit of milk and add tomatoes, scallions, cheese, chopped up sausage etc. Season and bake at 400 until it rises, kind of like a souffle. When I am making a big one, a little electric help would be great but I kind of want to feel how much air the eggs have in them so don't like to use a blender. Maybe the thunder stick is the answer. Fred

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/20/2003
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/16/06 8:03 PM
0
To quote WJ:

[|)][|)][|)], and also [|)]...


KBminihorse
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/28/2004
  • Location: Riverside, CA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/16/06 8:28 PM
0
Well, I guess I'm the only one in the whole world who likes scrambled eggs browned. I cook them in butter several minutes, them stuff them in a breakfast burrito with other stuff so I can't taste them, cause I HATE eggs and that's the only way I'll eat them!

blinky193
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/10/2006
  • Location: Mars, PA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Thu, 08/17/06 8:23 AM
0
[Now that method sounds more like how I cook an omelet. As it's cooking you can add herbs, cheese, meat etc. I like feta cheese, alfalfa sprouts and a little dijon mustard which is weird because I am usually more of a 'the more meat, the merrier' kind of guy. When it's still wet, you do the usual 'fold out onto a plate' thing. Fredquote]

Fhoran......... The thunderstick will definitely put a lot of air into the scrambled eggs to make them fluffy, much more than a whisk will do. The trick is to get them in the saute pan quickly, as soon as you whip them. If you start using your thunderstick, and keep it out, you'll find you can use it on other things. When you make a glass of chocolate milk, for instance. Pour the chocolate syrup in the milk. Instead of using a spoon to stir it, try the thunderstick, it really mixes the chocolate into the milk and not much of the chocolate sits on the bottom of the glass. It's almost like drinking a malt.

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/23/2000
  • Location: Baltimore, MD
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Thu, 08/17/06 12:30 PM
0
I like my scrambled eggs brown, and my fried eggs over hard with broken yolk and crisp on the edges.

But let's talk omelets. I'm partial to mushroom omelets, and recently had one where uncooked canned mushrooms were just added to the top of the cooked omelet, and then the omelet was folded over. I also had one where the mushrooms were at least sauteed, but again were just folded into an already cooked omelet.

I think that way is wrong. I like it when the veggies or meat are sauteed in the pan first, then the beaten eggs are added, so the fillings are mixed into the body of the omelet. Just wondering what others think.

citizenconn
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/16/2006
  • Location: Houston [NW], TX
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Thu, 08/17/06 5:58 PM
0
For me, the key to making fluffy eggs is to whip them well with a flat whisk and cook them over low heat in a well buttered 6-8" omelet pan. And, don't stir them as much as flip/shake the pan away from you to get them cooked evenly. The only utensil I use is one of those soft silicon spoonulas.

Sometimes I turn the heat up higher first and get the butter a nice nutty brown and then lower the heat to cook them. It really changes the flavor. I always wait and salt my eggs with Maldon sea salt just before I remove them from the pan. Just my 2 cents worth. Oh, kinda trendy, but Chardonnay sea salt tastes very good and unique on scrambled eggs as well.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Thu, 08/17/06 6:13 PM
0
Cook my eggs fluffy and wet, you get them back. Wet eggs are gagacious to me. Dry and brown, my idea of perfect scrambled eggs. And fer gawds sake, don't cook them in butter either. Blech. Cook them in a little pig fat. Or chorizo grease.

citizenconn
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/16/2006
  • Location: Houston [NW], TX
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Thu, 08/17/06 6:52 PM
0
I like my eggs cooked in bacon grease or sausage grease the best personally. And I agree with you, I like my scrambled eggs brown and crispy on the edges especially if I'm making migas or breakfast tacos. But the wife prefers them the way I indicated above.

Just about everyone I cook for likes them different so I've learned to be versatile.

quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Cook my eggs fluffy and wet, you get them back. Wet eggs are gagacious to me. Dry and brown, my idea of perfect scrambled eggs. And fer gawds sake, don't cook them in butter either. Blech. Cook them in a little pig fat. Or chorizo grease.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Thu, 08/17/06 7:05 PM
0
Mmmmmmmm, migas.....

fhoran
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/27/2006
  • Location: Walpole, MA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Thu, 08/17/06 8:24 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by citizenconn

I like my eggs cooked in bacon grease or sausage grease the best personally. And I agree with you, I like my scrambled eggs brown and crispy on the edges especially if I'm making migas or breakfast tacos. But the wife prefers them the way I indicated above.

Just about everyone I cook for likes them different so I've learned to be versatile.


quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Cook my eggs fluffy and wet, you get them back. Wet eggs are gagacious to me. Dry and brown, my idea of perfect scrambled eggs. And fer gawds sake, don't cook them in butter either. Blech. Cook them in a little pig fat. Or chorizo grease.


Citizen, welcome aboard. Right on! Cooking any kind of eggs in bacon or sausage grease is the only way to go (well, maybe not softboiled, but that's another thread). Fred

citizenconn
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/16/2006
  • Location: Houston [NW], TX
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Thu, 08/17/06 9:53 PM
0
So not only do I now keep notes on the different bacons that I buy and consume like I'm some bacon sociologist, but I also keep track of how good food tastes cooked in their grease. I'm messed up, huh?

One of the best I've found so far for eggs is the grease from a jalapeno bacon I get at my local HEB. The bacon is so-so, but eggs cooked in the grease are especially zippy!
quote:

Citizen, welcome aboard. Right on! Cooking any kind of eggs in bacon or sausage grease is the only way to go (well, maybe not softboiled, but that's another thread). Fred

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/21/2006
  • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Thu, 08/17/06 11:34 PM
0
Before all the food regulations came about, I kept a cup of bacon grease on my stove forever!!!And this was in the late 70s.I always cooked my eggs in that and never got sick.What a wonderful flavor.And then my father-in-law would come over and make biscuits with the same grease....best I ever had!!!!!!!!!

mrc2u
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/14/2004
  • Location: tampa, FL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Fri, 08/18/06 12:40 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Before all the food regulations came about, I kept a cup of bacon grease on my stove forever!!!And this was in the late 70s.I always cooked my eggs in that and never got sick.What a wonderful flavor.And then my father-in-law would come over and make biscuits with the same grease....best I ever had!!!!!!!!!


I still keep a coffee can of bacon grease to cook with, eggs and chili especially... i do keep it in the fridge tho. just easier to spoon it out and keep clean

mrc2u
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/14/2004
  • Location: tampa, FL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Fri, 08/18/06 12:41 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by signman

I like my scrambled eggs brown, and my fried eggs over hard with broken yolk and crisp on the edges.

But let's talk omelets. I'm partial to mushroom omelets, and recently had one where uncooked canned mushrooms were just added to the top of the cooked omelet, and then the omelet was folded over. I also had one where the mushrooms were at least sauteed, but again were just folded into an already cooked omelet.

I think that way is wrong. I like it when the veggies or meat are sauteed in the pan first, then the beaten eggs are added, so the fillings are mixed into the body of the omelet. Just wondering what others think.


I agree 100% i always saute my veggies and meat in a little butter than add the eggs in. Only thing that goes in the middle is the cheese and any fresh veggies (tomato).

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/21/2006
  • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Fri, 08/18/06 12:57 PM
0
Thanks for reminding me-shall resume keeping grease in the fridge...

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Fri, 08/18/06 8:47 PM
0
Try a batch of cornbread made with bacon grease. That's how my Alabammy grandmammy used to do it, gooooood. Also a dollop of it in a batch of stewed tomatoes. Bacon grease does not get thrown out around this house.

fhoran
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/27/2006
  • Location: Walpole, MA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sat, 08/19/06 7:12 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Try a batch of cornbread made with bacon grease. That's how my Alabammy grandmammy used to do it, gooooood. Also a dollop of it in a batch of stewed tomatoes. Bacon grease does not get thrown out around this house.

Oh, Oh, cornbread made with bacon grease! My kids love my cornbread. My cornbread is really boring!! I hate it (well, "hate" is kind of strong but it really is pretty horribly vomitrocious). Corn and bacon fat is a natural. I am on it!! Thanks EC. Fred

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/20/2003
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sat, 08/19/06 8:03 PM
0
I have two quart sized containers of bacon drippings in my freezer. That & cold buttermilk are staples in my cornbread. As far as omelets go, I prefer the eggs not to be infused with any of the fillings; which in my case are varied.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sat, 08/19/06 9:03 PM
0
Fred, the problem with what I told you is: how much she used. I can't remember and she's long passed on along with my Momma and Aunt. So I did a little research for you and came up with an average recipe:

1 1/2 cups self rising cornmeal mix, I suggest Martha White's if you can get it
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk or sweet milk if that's what you have, but Grammie always used buttermilk
Sugar, salt, pepper to taste
3 tablespoons bacon grease

Mix meal, flour, pepper, salt and sugar. Add milk to dry ingredients with egg and bacon grease. Stir well. Stir in cracklings, if desired. If mixture is too thick, add more milk. Batter should be a little thin. Bake in bacon greased pan (preferably a black iron skillet) at 425ยบ. The sugar and bacon grease makes it brown and crunchy.



NOTE: The amount of bacon grease is the same if you use a ready made mix (blech) or if you make it from scratch. The recipe above is put together from a few sources and is the closest sounding to what my Grammie made.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/21/2006
  • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sat, 08/19/06 9:10 PM
0
You have made a believer out of me!!!!!!

fhoran
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/27/2006
  • Location: Walpole, MA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sun, 08/20/06 8:33 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Fred, the problem with what I told you is: how much she used. I can't remember and she's long passed on along with my Momma and Aunt. So I did a little research for you and came up with an average recipe:



Thanks so much EC. It's on the menu for next Sunday's breakfast. Fred

sinkiller
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/26/2006
  • Location: venice, CA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Wed, 08/23/06 11:28 AM
0
I prefer Club Soda to water in the beaten eggs.

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/6/2005
  • Location: jacksonville, FL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sat, 08/26/06 4:52 PM
0
I usually get an omolet if ordering eggs at a restaurant. I dont like plain scrambled eggs preferring scrambled with cheese and that really seems to throw most breakfast cooks... I do NOT mean a pile of scrambled eggs with a slice of cheese draped over it!!

At home I use an immersion mixer (boat motor)add a teaspoon of water per egg and a couple dashes of hotsauce, I purposly pull the mixer to the top and tilt it to add air until the mixture is doubled in size, then into a hot pan with either bacon or sausage grease (depends on which I just cooked) I add the cheese immediately and get to stirring... same procedure for an omolet except no stirring

xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/18/2005
  • Location: albuquerque, NM
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sat, 08/26/06 5:08 PM
0
when we lived in jersey, a short order cook called
the scrambled eggs and cheese"carolina style"
i have no idea why..

fhoran
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/27/2006
  • Location: Walpole, MA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Tue, 08/29/06 10:15 PM
0
Went to visit my sainted mother with my brother and my wife and kids this weekend. Were going to try the cornbread recipe from enginecapt but my daughter threatened to hold her breath until all the red states turned blue if we couldn't have Entemann's Danish pastry and being the sniveling, not-enough-courage kind of parents who can't stand their ground with a whiny 15 year old, we decided to go with that. Since, however, this is about scrambled eggs, we usually make them with cheese, fresh dill, sauteed onions and fresh tomatoes because my sainted mother likes them like that (can't stand up to her either - she may be 82 but a feisty 82). Didn't have any fresh dill so used fresh rosemary, which was a first. Was pretty good too. Fred

MsDiPesto
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/3/2006
  • Location: Falls Church, VA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Fri, 03/2/07 6:42 PM
0
Most people cook scrambled eggs too fast on high heat, thus the dried out result. I've heard of places using a double boiler to make proper scrambled eggs, and last week I attempted to make decent scrambled eggs. I used my "thunderstick" to whip the eggs, and added some half and half. I kept the heat down nice and low, took my time, and they were the best scrambled eggs I've made.

BTB
  • Total Posts : 207
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/25/2004
  • Location: St. Petersburg, FL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sat, 03/3/07 12:53 PM
0
One key to cooking scramble eggs is to stop cooking them before they look done, whether using low, medium, or high heat, and getting them quickly out of the pan on onto the plates. As Alton Brown said on his TV show on the subject, " . . . if they look like they're done in the pan, you can be sure they will be dry, overdone or burnt when you get them to the plate" . . . or something like that . . .

marzsit
  • Total Posts : 343
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/2/2006
  • Location: renton, WA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sat, 03/3/07 5:32 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by MsDiPesto

Most people cook scrambled eggs too fast on high heat, thus the dried out result. I've heard of places using a double boiler to make proper scrambled eggs, and last week I attempted to make decent scrambled eggs. I used my "thunderstick" to whip the eggs, and added some half and half. I kept the heat down nice and low, took my time, and they were the best scrambled eggs I've made.


i've done this as well, it's the best technique for keeping the eggs soft and moist without being runny. bacon grease or butter for flavor, but in a double-boiler fat generally isn't needed to prevent sticking.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/20/2003
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sun, 03/4/07 9:50 AM
0
Per other posters, cook your eggs to a soft scrambled state under medium heat and quickly put on your serving plate. They will continue to cook and I believe you will find them to be delicious.... BUT only if you serve them with a big 'ole bowl of hot buttered grits and some country link sausage and/or country ham. Buttermilk biscuits with REAL butter and strawberry jam are optional (NOT...)

LuckyLabrador
  • Total Posts : 583
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/6/2007
  • Location: Green Valley, CA
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Mon, 03/5/07 11:43 AM
0
In England, They cook their scrambeled eggs in small saucepans, the English make great Breakfasts, IMHO!

ChopChop
  • Total Posts : 46
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/4/2007
  • Location: Birmingham, AL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Thu, 03/15/07 12:48 PM
0
I think part of the problem when dining out for breakfast is that many restaurants cook your scrambled eggs on a grill. They cook too fast and flat. A good plate of scrambled eggs needs to be cooked in a skillet first and foremost. Milk, sour cream, butter or no butter it is still a challenge to create fluffy, pillowy, moist scrambled eggs on a flat grill.

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/16/2002
  • Location: Dothan,Alabama,
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Thu, 03/15/07 1:57 PM
0
For really good scrambled eggs , cook them in a double boiler over simmering water.

Wandering Chew
  • Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/17/2004
  • Location: Miami, FL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Fri, 03/16/07 8:54 PM
0
Pigiron mentioned Julia Childs method for perfect scrambled eggs- I 1st learned her method either from TV show or book 20 ish years ago and have basically followed it ever since- roughly what many have said- slow,low heat, beaten with a splash of ice water and cream(MILK, HALF AND HALF)and left alone in buttered (well)til it sets in pan, heavy-cast iron,calphalon etc(i think she said copper is best).
Then gently fold outside to center and lightly fold over a few times-its like a custard and as someone said- it will cook a little more while you plate it and pour your coffee(Peets Aged Sumatra for me)-toast me some kick ass bread or a sesame bagel and UM UM UM -weeekend breakfast is served! Mrs Child added a little fine herbs(chive, tarragon,thyme, parsley etc) occassionally but Im good as is.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Fri, 03/16/07 9:29 PM
0
I don't know about all this stuff. I beat my eggs with a little milk and pour them into a non-stick skillet with a little butter (or sometimes even some release agent) and move them around in the pan till they begin to set and that's it. They're done, they're light, they're fluffy and they're delicious.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/4/2005
  • Location: Crofton, MD
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sat, 03/17/07 2:32 AM
0
I scramble the eggs in the pan. just butter in the pan and eggs go in whole. There are white bits and yellow bits. They're fairly fluffy and I get them out of the pan before they're 100% done so that they aren't dry. no complaints so far.

(I prescramble the eggs in a bowl so that there's no white bits when I'm making an omelette.)


Wandering Chew
  • Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/17/2004
  • Location: Miami, FL
RE: Can't get good scrambled eggs - Sat, 03/17/07 2:13 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I don't know about all this stuff. I beat my eggs with a little milk and pour them into a non-stick skillet with a little butter (or sometimes even some release agent) and move them around in the pan till they begin to set and that's it. They're done, they're light, they're fluffy and they're delicious.

Michael-thats basically what I do but the splash of cold water I think gives it some fluff and lightness. Its really about the freshness of the eggs-those are always the best tasting-In Maine when vacationing we get excellent fresh brown eggs from varios neighbors with roadside "stands"- free standing cupboards by street where you pay by honor system $2/dozen-it works and is a real treat to this big city boy!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 63