Looking for a recipe for white chili

blinky193
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points : 0
Looking for a recipe for white chili - Tue, 08/22/06 12:42 PM
Hello everyone, I have ground turkey in my freezer and understand that's what you use to make "white" chili. Ground chicken will work as well. So, I am looking for a recipe to make chili with it. Any ideas will be great!

NebGuy
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Looking for a recipe for white chili - Tue, 08/22/06 1:14 PM
1/2 lb dried navy beans
4 c. chicken stock or broth
4 c. water
2 tbls. canola oil
1 tbls. minced garlic
1 c. chopped onion
1-1/2 c. chopped seeded fresh green chiles (Anaheim or Hatch preferred)
1/4 c. chopped seeded jalepenos
1-1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast finely chopped (or the ground stuff you have will work fine)
1 tbls cumin
1 tbls oregeno
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 c. minced cilantro

Rinse beans and soak overnight. Drain. Add to stock and water and bring to a simmer.

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the garlic, onion, chiles, and peppers and saute for 5 minutes. Add this and the rest of the ingredients to the beans.

Simmer 3 to 4 hours or until the beans are tender. Season with salt and more pepper if needed.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Looking for a recipe for white chili - Tue, 08/22/06 1:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by blinky193

Hello everyone, I have ground turkey in my freezer and understand that's what you use to make "white" chili. Ground chicken will work as well. So, I am looking for a recipe to make chili with it. Any ideas will be great!

It's simple. Make your regular style of chili but omit any type of tomato. You need some chicken stock for the liquid.
If you are looking for a recipe, I do not have one that I could give you. But I could create a batch of it using what I know goes into my way of making chili. It's the kitchen sink method of cooking...

Onions, peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin and for me cilantro find their way into my chili. A neat trick that I use to thicken it is to add some cornmeal. This gives it a unique 'masa' flavor.

I have had white chili made with diced pork at a chili cook-off. It was very good and if I was to make some, I would use pork also.

mark

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
RE: Looking for a recipe for white chili - Tue, 08/22/06 3:18 PM
Claudia Sanders Dinner House in Shelbyville, KY serves a very good White Chili as one of the 'Soup' selections on their regular menu. It is our usual choice!

oltheimmer
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Looking for a recipe for white chili - Tue, 08/22/06 9:41 PM
Ground turkey is pink so you can make chili with your regular recipe or mix if you prefer. Just don't simmer for as long as you would chili made with chili grind or cubed beef or you'll wind up with a paste. Around here, white chili pretty much always refers to a chili made with cubed or shredded chicken although I have had a white chili made with rabbit.

Here's a link to a recipe for Neiman Marcus White Chili:

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Neiman's%20texas%20white%20chili

I noted the use of coriander and clove. I made this once but I'm not a big fan of white chili and would prefer to make chicken enchiladas or soup.