Your favorite pizza places?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 14
Author
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/09 00:52:23 (permalink)
Bushie, You would like Campisi's. It's a very thin crust, and if memory is correct they cut it into squares. The original on Mockingbird, across from the old Dr. Pepper plant, just east of Central Expressway is a classic 50's Italian setting. I think there are round bottomed wine bottles with multicolored candle drippings on each table. You know the kind of place I mean. Their biggest selling appetizer is crab claws. For a Chesapeake Bay guy like me that seems strange, but then most of the crabs we consume here come from Texas or Louisiana most of the year.
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/09 02:13:45 (permalink)
I know I've mentioned this before, but DiFara's (correct sp.?)on Ave. J is the best I've had. Old school to the bone. The guy that makes it takes pride in his pies. That's his thing. All the ingredients blend as one. Should be considered a national landmark.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/10 18:50:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Bushie, You would like Campisi's. It's a very thin crust, and if memory is correct they cut it into squares. The original on Mockingbird, across from the old Dr. Pepper plant, just east of Central Expressway is a classic 50's Italian setting. I think there are round bottomed wine bottles with multicolored candle drippings on each table. You know the kind of place I mean. Their biggest selling appetizer is crab claws. For a Chesapeake Bay guy like me that seems strange, but then most of the crabs we consume here come from Texas or Louisiana most of the year.

Ok, signman, I'm THERE next time I'm in Dallas. Thanks!!
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/11 09:46:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

You are right about Campisi's pizza and ambiance. I spent a couple of months at an apartment across the street (Mockingbird) and had a steady diet of pizza. The Mockingbird Lane location is reported to be where Jack Ruby ate the night before he grabbed his "15 minutes of fame".
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/11 09:55:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by goldsborscht

I know I've mentioned this before, but DiFara's (correct sp.?)on Ave. J is the best I've had. Old school to the bone. The guy that makes it takes pride in his pies. That's his thing. All the ingredients blend as one. Should be considered a national landmark.

Ab-so-freakin'-lute-ly!
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7027
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/11 13:46:58 (permalink)
Santarpio's in East Boston has great pizza and the ambiance is right out of the 60's. Get an order of grilled lamb tips and a grilled house-made sausage while waiting for the pizza.
jgleduc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/11 14:51:41 (permalink)
Santarpio's has, as far as I've tasted, the best pizza in the Boston area, even though the crust is too floppy for my taste - if it's gonna be thin, it better have some crispness is my usual rule. The fact that I've never thought of Boston as a great pizza town doesn't diminish their quality, either! The toppings are excellent - always get it with garlic, it adds so much. The sausage, lamb and peppers are great too, and a wonderful sight on the grill as you come in the door. As I've wrote here before, though, the service is pretty rude, of which I'm not a fan. I'm sure being in East Boston is depressing, but they don't have to take it out on everyone.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7027
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/12 03:39:09 (permalink)
Best pizza in Anchorage....hands down is the Moose's Tooth, bonus because they also brew their own beer!
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/12 09:27:27 (permalink)
Nick's pizza route 15, Dover,NJ has outstanding very thin crust pizza. The pepperoni pizza is a perfect blend of lots of cheese, sauce and spices.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/12 10:28:44 (permalink)
Hey! What about us down here in Hotlanta? Three that stand out are Everybody's near Emory, Fellini's in Buckhead, and Mellow Mushroom (a few around town). THey always win or place high in the best of Atlanta contest. BTW, they all resemble NY style pizza. I wonder why?
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 303
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/12 16:42:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by arbusjones

Finding good pizza or any Italian food in Minnesota is like finding good skiing in Miami in
August. However, Cossetta's at 211 7TH ST W near Downtown St.Paul is pretty good.

Look up my post on Sammy's Pizza. They are all over Minnesotta and a few other nearby states. I am from Brooklyn, NY and I KNOW pizza. They are very good and are worth a road-trip.
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/12 22:27:50 (permalink)
Famous Pizza in Denver and Original Pizza in Kansas City. Why is it that the best pizza places are owned by Greek guys from NYC?
Biscuit
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/08/13 10:23:22 (permalink)
Oh Corey, where have you gone astray??
The answer to your question is, they're not.
I haven't eaten at Famous Pizza in years because the food was so bad. So, I can't say anything about the quality there now, but there are a couple of gold standards in town that are hard to beat.
Anthony's, downtown off the 16th. St. mall, has excellent New York style pizza. The Wazee Supper Club makes a great, more upscale, pie. The Edgewater Inn out on 25th has been putting out a happy pie for like 20 years.
But the pizza to beat, in my mind, is from Carl's on west 38th. I know people in their 40's who have been eating there since they were kids. Consistently delicious and a great place to bring the whole family. I hope you can give the place a try, I'll bet you won't be disappointed.
pdxeats
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/04 06:25:24 (permalink)
I have to agree with both wanderingJew and Signman Pittsburgh (where I live) has great Pizza!!!
I wasn't that impressed with Mineo's(everyone loves Mineo's here??!!)
but I think I will give it another shot!!
Next time you are in Pittsburgh give Say Cheese Pizza... Their Pan Pizza(take out only) a try... http://www.saycheesepizza.biz/
some people say it is like Mineo's.........
Everything is great at Say cheese Pizza
salad's, calzones etc
I can't stand chain Pizza
although Donatos in Ohio is good
My Partner ...he loves Donatos in Ohio....are you sure that McD's owns them and not Wendy's???
I love Pizza :)
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/04 09:54:25 (permalink)
I am blessed to live in New Haven CT, home of some of the world's greatest pizza, as well as the world's worst service.
Though Sally's is, by far, my favorite pie, their policy of BLATANTLY taking care of family and friends while a "newbie" starves on the sidewalk is quite discouraging.
Pepe's is really good, and the service is OK.
Modern is fantastic, with great service, so that is where we'll most often go when bringing out-of-towners.
And a "quick-to-fall-to-the-bottom-of-my-list" is Bar, which has incredible pizza and hand-crafted beer, but unfortunately hires their waitstaff based entirely on looks (the girls are all wafer-thin, with lots of exposed skin and multiple piercings, but no knowledge of good service and attitude bigger than they have a right to.)
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/04 10:24:18 (permalink)
It's funny how your pizza tastes can become regionalized. When I first moved to NYC from Western NY nearly 20 years ago, I simply didn't get the big deal about NY pizza. Now, it's my favorite style, and almost any pizza I eat in my native Western NY tastes sugary and doughy to me. That doesn't mean I don't like/love the pizzas in New Haven, Chicago and elsewhere, but the pizza I grew up on doesn't even taste like pizza to me anymore. Not that won't eat them...even bad pizza is good pizza.
john_1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/11 01:11:59 (permalink)
San Diego is not the pizza capital of anywhere, but a couple stand out.

One is Di Crescenzo's in Rancho Bernardo. They have pretty good Italian Beef sandwiches too. Not as good as in Chicago, but pretty good.

Another is a chain, though I don't know how big they are. I do like BJ's Pizza. I know they have at least a couple in San Diego (one is in La Jolla in La Jolla Village Square, or whatever it's called now.

I used to work at Royal Menu in Riverside, IL, and loved their pizza and Italian beef sandwiches. I don't know how they ever made a profit 'cause I was always dipping into the beef with chunks of bread.

Went to colleg in Champaign IL at UIUC. We are planning a trip back there and Papa Del's is high on the list.

Anybody have any other suggestions for San Diego? I will have to check out the rest of this list.

blake76
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/11 01:30:45 (permalink)
I grew up in Southern California in the 80's, and my family used to go to Uno's for amazing deep-dish pizza (tho' I'm now a thin-crust gal). It might have been a chain, but the pizzas were amazing; something about the crust--so buttery it was almost shortbread. (Maybe that's a misleading comparison.) If I ever smelled the aroma of that crust again, I'd probably cry for joy. Does anyone know what happened to Uno's?
Ted Steak
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/11 06:07:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blake76

I grew up in Southern California in the 80's, and my family used to go to Uno's for amazing deep-dish pizza (tho' I'm now a thin-crust gal). It might have been a chain, but the pizzas were amazing; something about the crust--so buttery it was almost shortbread. (Maybe that's a misleading comparison.) If I ever smelled the aroma of that crust again, I'd probably cry for joy. Does anyone know what happened to Uno's?

There's a Pizzeria Uno sorta near me, on rt.1 in Edison, N.J. that makes deep dish with the crust exactly as you describe. And they have a microbrewery with excellent beers to boot! Nothing like beer and pizza.
Marsh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/11 09:47:42 (permalink)
Mario's on 61st street in Galveston, the one on the seawall is kinda of fancy for pizza, but good though.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/11 11:16:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blake76

Check their web site, www.pizzeriauno.com, for their 190 locations across the country. As is always the case, some are better than others. Minneapolis and Indianapolis are better then the original in Chicago.
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/11 11:39:44 (permalink)
Let's not forget Colony Grill in Stamford CT.
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/11 11:46:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly
Check their web site, www.pizzeriauno.com, for their 190 locations across the country. As is always the case, some are better than others. Minneapolis and Indianapolis are better then the original in Chicago.

[url='http://www.pizzeriauno.com']Pizzeria Uno[/url]

Corrected link (the link above has a comma in it so it doesn't work.)
blake76
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/11 12:35:47 (permalink)
Holy moley. I guess I've been under a rock (or in grad school; same thing); I had no idea they were so widespread, now. Glad to hear the pizza's still great.
dbear
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/11 13:16:34 (permalink)

A couple of places I like(d):

Giordano's - stuffed crust; Rush St. in Chicago

Uno/Due - deep dish; off N. Michigan in Chicago (chain is only OK)

Regina - its own style; Thatcher St. in Boston's North End (chain is only OK)

European (RIP) - square; Hanover St. in Boston's North End

Bel Canto - calzone; original one on Mass. Ave in Cambridge
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/11 14:29:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by booboobirdie

I am blessed to live in New Haven CT, home of some of the world's greatest pizza, as well as the world's worst service.
Though Sally's is, by far, my favorite pie, their policy of BLATANTLY taking care of family and friends while a "newbie" starves on the sidewalk is quite discouraging.

Well, Booboobirdie, most of us can probably attest to the fact that, unfortunately, just as it is quite often a true stereotype that pizza in general is of highest quality in the northeast, so, too, unfortunately, is the rudeness factor, particularly when it comes to customer service. I can attest too, to the lack of service at the aforementioned pizzerias, and in the case of Sally's, will never go back, in spite of what they have to offer. I can attest as well, first hand to watching staff take care of preferred clientele. Pepe's, I had to wait once until 10:30 to get a table. But I never witnessed line cutting promulgated by staff there. I do believe what you say transcends those 2 pizza emporiums. I guess as northeasterners, we give something up for something we get! We often have access to the finest food, but unfortunately, along with it, we are privy to the most obnoxious and brusque element the country has to offer. Here in South Jersey as well, though I will always go back to the White House Sub Shop, their staff sure as hell is not going to take home any customer service awards!! [|)]
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/22 20:44:43 (permalink)
Growing up in Northeast Philly, I really, really liked the pizza at a place called New England Pizza on Bustleton Avenue. It's still there. I thought the pizza tasted kind of sweet - both the crust and the sauce. It was very satisfying. Gearo's was, and still is, on the next block of Bustleton Avenue, and I used to go there with my parents. That was also really good. It's been years and years, so all I can say is "It was really good" rather than describe. I don't remember any "mean" staff, but you never know, over the years. Maybe next time across the bridge, I'll check one of 'em out...

Over here in Jersey, I can say that so far I like Masso's pizza the best. Masso's has a deli on one side, the pizza, roast pork, steak sandwiches, etc., on the other side with inside seating (nothing fancy; "luncheonette-ish"), and, in a separate building, a custard and water ice stand with outside tables. It's in historic Gibbsboro, NJ, on beautiful Route 561, across from where they park the school buses.

I plan to check out Donato's, as there are two within easy driving distance. I really don't like Bertucci's as far as pizza.
Farfel280
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/23 09:04:56 (permalink)
I can say two have vied for the best I've ever had:

Arturo's on Houston Street in NYCJ&G Pizza (a little hole in the wall) in Brick, NJ

I make the drive from VA a couple of times a year to NJ just for a J&G sausage pizza and a sub. It's worth the trip! (especially because northern VA is a culinary wasteland when it comes to pizza and subs!!)
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/23 10:07:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Over here in Jersey, I can say that so far I like Masso's pizza the best. Masso's has a deli on one side, the pizza, roast pork, steak sandwiches, etc., on the other side with inside seating (nothing fancy; "luncheonette-ish"), and, in a separate building, a custard and water ice stand with outside tables. It's in historic Gibbsboro, NJ, on beautiful Route 561, across from where they park the school buses.

Shayna's_Mom:
Masso's sounds interesting. I would love to try some. I don't know the area very well, though. Could you give me directions from Springdale Ave, heading south? I would definitely like to go there soon!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2003/09/23 12:10:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Santarpio's in East Boston has great pizza and the ambiance is right out of the 60's. Get an order of grilled lamb tips and a grilled house-made sausage while waiting for the pizza.

So,so true----used to drive airport cab and stopped there for many-many-many lunches--often walking in to find my dad just getting his pie (he drove for the same cab in his retirement)---which meant i didnt have to wait--but we did have to order another pie!!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1