The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 69
anselmo1
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Reward points : 0
The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sat, 08/26/06 12:02 AM
A few years ago, I ate at the Varsity downtown near Georgia Tech. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed with the hot dogs and hamburgers. The positive thing were that the onion rings were very good.

What makes the Varsity such an institution in the Atlanta area?

Farmallcub
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sat, 08/26/06 1:47 AM
What da ya hav, what da ya have???

DoctorDan
  • Total Posts : 56
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sat, 08/26/06 8:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

A few years ago, I ate at the Varsity downtown near Georgia Tech. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed with the hot dogs and hamburgers. The positive thing were that the onion rings were very good.

Well, Anselmo, I'm a native Atlantan and the Varsity is an institution because it's been around for over fifty years. You don't stay in the restaurant business that long without serving good food at the right price and pleasing the public.
I can almost agree with you about the hamburgers - average at best, but Varsity chili dogs are as good as any I've ever had and yes, the onion rings are outstanding.
Four locations in metro Atlanta, and one in Athens, GA all are thriving and crowded most of the time. Ga Tech football Saturdays are especially hectic times for Varsity on North Ave.

Doctor Dan

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sat, 08/26/06 9:02 AM

BarbaraCt
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sat, 08/26/06 9:28 AM
I was born in Atlanta and always have enjoyed the Varsity. Being a graduate of the U. of Ga., we call Tech the "North Avenue Trade School". Even when my family moved away, we would always make the Varsity part of our visit. Now that I am really far away, I still visit there when ever I go back to Atlanta. Of course, every restaurant is better when they are busy, because the food is fresher. I would stack their onion rings against anybodys. They used to have great ice cream, too. They still have a very varied menu, with piminto cheese sandwiches, and even barbeque. The best are their chili burgers and chili dogs. You just order a hot dog, and it comes with chili. I still remember their other restaurant in Athens, right across from the Ga. campus. The good old days...

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sat, 08/26/06 9:33 AM
Having spent some time at that learning place on the other side of 85 from the Varsity I will add my comment. Order it to go and be amazed that the paper sack will bee grease soaked within three minutes.

georgiadawgs
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sat, 08/26/06 1:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

I'll probably get slammed for this, but oh well just my opinion...Being a northerner, I think the Varsity is such a big deal down here because it's an one-of-a kind place in GA, and because the food in general here sucks!

Up north places like the Varsity are a dime-a-dozen and usually much better. But down here it's like some kind of special attraction you won't find anywhere else!

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sat, 08/26/06 8:48 PM
Wish this topic was discussed a few days ago. Just had lunch at the Varsity yesterday and for the first time tried the hamburger. Big mistake, should have made it 3 chili slaw dogs instead of just 2 and the burger.

Adjudicator
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sun, 08/27/06 8:54 AM

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sun, 08/27/06 10:19 AM
Zesto's is pretty good but you may get robbed in the neighborHOODS where they're located if you get my drift.

Adjudicator
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sun, 08/27/06 10:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

Zesto's is pretty good but you may get robbed in the neighborHOODS where they're located if you get my drift.

L5P and/or PDL? Get real. Besides, I always have my PPK wit' me, anyways...

The biggest rip-offs in Atlanta have nothing to do with it's citizens, BTW.

Oneiron339
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Mon, 08/28/06 7:22 AM
Gee, I dunno, only having spent the past 20 years or so in ATL, and reading the local gazette as to where the crime is in this town alot is centered around PDL near Zestos and on Moreland where the other Zestos is - which, by the way is not L5P - the old Zestos was there. If you were so comfortable in those areas, you wouldn't need a PPK. Besides, I'd rather have my Springfield Armory XP .45, since all the thugs in those areas carry more than 9MM anyway. That's real.

anselmo1
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Mon, 08/28/06 3:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Farmallcub

What da ya hav, what da ya have???

I had a hot dog, a hamburger and an order of onion rings. The hot dog was OK but not charbroiled. I did not notice what kind of hot dogs were utilized but they seemed to have been purchased in boxes. The hamburger was awfully greasy and noticed it was a very cheap grade of beef. The onion rings were outstanding and the best I have had in the south.

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Wed, 08/30/06 7:20 AM
quote:

Gee, I dunno, only having spent the past 20 years or so in ATL, and reading the local gazette as to where the crime is in this town alot is centered around PDL near Zestos and on Moreland where the other Zestos is - which, by the way is not L5P - the old Zestos was there. If you were so comfortable in those areas, you wouldn't need a PPK. Besides, I'd rather have my Springfield Armory XP .45, since all the thugs in those areas carry more than 9MM anyway. That's real.

The best gun to have in a gunfight is the one in your hand. I slip a .380 into a pocket holster while my heavy artillery stays home because it’s impossible to carry concealed without wearing a jacket. Even then it’s easy to accidentally expose it, in Florida brandishing a handgun can get you three years in the pokey.

Oneiron339
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Wed, 08/30/06 7:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by John A

quote:

The best gun to have in a gunfight is the one in your hand. I slip a .380 into a pocket holster while my heavy artillery stays home because it’s impossible to carry concealed without wearing a jacket. Even then it’s easy to accidentally expose it, in Florida brandishing a handgun can get you three years in the pokey.

Not if you have a carry permit and are defending yourself.

BarbaraCt
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Wed, 08/30/06 7:58 AM
I would like to know the other places in the north that Ga. dogs refers to. I live in Ct. and am unaware of other places that sell more coke than any other place in the WORLD. They have a two story parking garage. Where are the dime a dozen places with a two story garage with carhops? Put your money where your mouth is. Name a couple of the dozen places. I dare you.

Ciaoman
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Wed, 08/30/06 10:19 AM
I don't know about the "couple dozen" places, but I know CT has a bunch of good hot dog places that have been reviewed here in the past. I agree that no place in New England can compete with the Coke consumption at the Varsity (assuming we're talking about the liquid kind...), but drinking lots of Coke in Coke's hometown is hardly surprising. Besides, that in itself wouldn't compel me to eat the food. But, comparisons aren't always fair--they're almost always subjective.

I've seen the Varsity profiled on TV--it looks like a fun place with a character all its own. I do recall that the onion rings looked especially good. And for it to have lasted all these years in probably the toughest, most competitive business of all, is a testament to its quality and appeal.

Oneiron339
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Wed, 08/30/06 4:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

I don't know about the "couple dozen" places, but I know CT has a bunch of good hot dog places that have been reviewed here in the past. I agree that no place in New England can compete with the Coke consumption at the Varsity (assuming we're talking about the liquid kind...), but drinking lots of Coke in Coke's hometown is hardly surprising. Besides, that in itself wouldn't compel me to eat the food. But, comparisons aren't always fair--they're almost always subjective.

I've seen the Varsity profiled on TV--it looks like a fun place with a character all its own. I do recall that the onion rings looked especially good. And for it to have lasted all these years in probably the toughest, most competitive business of all, is a testament to its quality and appeal.

That's precisely what it is, part food, part fun, part atmosphere. These folks who critique the "V" like it was a 5 star restaurant need to get a life. It's the Varsity for godsakes, not Chez PooPoo. Decent dogs and burgers, great rings and fries, and super fried peach pies w/ ice cream - and alot of fun and atmosphere and history. As Ciaoman says, ANY restaurant, let alone a drive in which has lasted for 3/4 of a century must be doing something right.

long dog
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Wed, 08/30/06 5:17 PM
Never been there.

I wish they would put one in the airport.
Almost everybody that flies Delta changes planes in Atlanta.
I'm sure that it would do a booming business for curious travelers on a layover.

Oneiron339
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 08/31/06 7:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by long dog

Never been there.

I wish they would put one in the airport.
Almost everybody that flies Delta changes planes in Atlanta.
I'm sure that it would do a booming business for curious travelers on a layover.

As I recall, they tried to do just that, but since the mayor's relatives were on the airport concession committee, somebody greased somebody else's palm with some bribes and we ended up with Nathan's. Some folks went to jail, but we still don't have a Varsity at the airport. Excellent idea though, but crooked politics won out.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13402
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 08/31/06 7:31 AM
The last time I went through the Atlanta airport was about a month ago. It appeared that they were adding several more restaurants?

ATL has very good dining options.

I have often wondered about why the famous Varsity was not at the airport.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

long dog
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 08/31/06 9:28 PM
Delta was kind enough to change my original flights home from California a couple of weeks ago.

They thought my family should spend almost 3 hours in the Atlanta airport instead of the 45 minutes that was originally booked.

It would have been a perfect opportunity to scoff down a few dogs and burgers.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17851
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 08/31/06 9:47 PM
quote:

quote:

I gather you are unfamiliar with T-shirt/undershirt holsters. It's a T-shirt with a built-in holster. and an undershirt with one built in. Check out:

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Products.aspx?cat=T-Shirts

www.kramerleather.com

By the way, have you tried an ankle holster? At one time I carried a Combat Commander in one.

LegalLady
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 08/31/06 10:02 PM
Hmmmmmmm an undershirt holster, perhaps I need one of those!

Legal Lady

Michael Hoffman
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 08/31/06 10:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LegalLady

Hmmmmmmm an undershirt holster, perhaps I need one of those!

Legal Lady

Seems to me you ought to be able to conceal a gun beneath your voluminous robes.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 08/31/06 10:38 PM
Hoffman, Who you callin' Voluminous??

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 08/31/06 11:36 PM
Hey! Robes is robes. If you can't stand the heat, get outta the courtroom.

Michael Hoffman
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Fri, 09/1/06 12:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Hoffman, Who you callin' Voluminous??

Now, Al, you know me. When it comes to voluminous, I'm the model.

LegalLady
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Fri, 09/1/06 2:22 AM
One Never Knows What's Under Da Judge's Robes!
The Lady of The Law

BhamBabe
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Fri, 09/1/06 2:36 AM
My husband was born there and talked that place up like it was some sort of holy place...ehhh, it wasn't no Sneaky Pete's, Pete's Famous Hotdogs, open since 1948, (two seperate places, both owned by Greeks) or Lyric Hot Dog and Hamburger (amazingly enough, owned by Greeks!) in Birmingham. Having the best onion rings is not biggie to me, I don't like them

Hey, did y'all know nearly every place to eat here is owned by Greeks?

John A
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Fri, 09/1/06 7:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

quote:

I gather you are unfamiliar with T-shirt/undershirt holsters. It's a T-shirt with a built-in holster. and an undershirt with one built in. Check out:

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Products.aspx?cat=T-Shirts

www.kramerleather.com

By the way, have you tried an ankle holster? At one time I carried a Combat Commander in one.

Thanks Michael,

I'm familiar with the T Shirt holster. I wear shorts and a golf shirt seven days a week except for a few cold days. it's easier & faster with a pocket holster. I'm seldom very far from my SUV with a G-19 and shotgun within.

John

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Fri, 09/1/06 9:40 AM
Is the topic here guns or burgers, or do they go hand in hand?

Oneiron339
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Fri, 09/1/06 4:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

Is the topic here guns or burgers, or do they go hand in hand?

They go hand in hand at some of the locations mentioned here. But let's get back to the Varsity. Whattaya have, whatta ya have?

John A
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sat, 09/2/06 10:12 AM
Like oneiron said, at some places you can't have one without the other.

John

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sat, 09/2/06 10:30 AM
Well, now I have to make it a definate place to stop..

John A
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sun, 09/3/06 7:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Well, now I have to make it a definate place to stop..

Annie get your gun.

John

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sun, 09/3/06 7:39 AM

Adjudicator
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sun, 09/3/06 7:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

The last time I went through the Atlanta airport was about a month ago. It appeared that they were adding several more restaurants?

ATL has very good dining options.

I have often wondered about why the famous Varsity was not at the airport.
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Because if it was the airport authority would have to install around another 2500 toilets.

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Wed, 09/6/06 9:16 AM
Just a bit off subject but I have found that the food court in the international wing of the Atlanta a/p is the best place to eat in the a/p.

However, as much as I love the Varsity I would not chance eating their burgers before boarding an aircraft.

Xu
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 09/14/06 12:17 AM
Don't they have "Varsity Junior" restaruants scattered all around Atlanta anymore?

I did eat at the real one, on North? Avenue years ago, the onion rings were good, I was kind of disappointed in the FO, I remember they put pimento cheese on the burgers.

Oneiron339
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 09/14/06 7:18 AM
The Varsity now has about 5-6 "Varsities" in metro ATL. Some people called them Jr. Varsity because they were smaller than the original. Athens was the first one, then at LaVista & Cheshire Bridge , now about 4-5 others dot the metro area, in Cobb, Gwinnett, and Clayton Cos. There may be a few others, but, as they say, "I don't get around much anymore." (Actually, ATL is growing so fast, the metro area has zoomed beyond my prowling grounds.)

john c
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Wed, 11/15/06 12:29 PM
Regarding Varsity's:
Everyone knows it started in Atlanta, on North Ave. and Spring St.
Luckily, I grew up in Athens, GA (Hi, Ort.!). The first AThens Varsity was downtown, right across from UGA campus archway. The second one opened up near milledge and broad St. many years later.
Then we moved to Atlanta, and a Varsity Jr opened up on LaVista Rd at (Lenox Rd?), then the rest of the suburban ATL sites opened years later.
It's just so infrequently I know something about something, I just had to add my two cents....

ULVER
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Wed, 11/15/06 12:49 PM
You do the Varsity, because it's unique and an institution, and downtown, which is kinda neat. On a good night, the chili dogs are decent. The onion rings, too. Both the hamburgers and french fries are tasteless.

Zestos blows The Varsity away, when it comes to burgers. And, it can be an "experience" too, late on weekends. Ah, Glock 17 for me, with Gold Dot +P's.

Now, if you REALLY want a grade-A burger, and an entertaining dining experience, you head to Little Five Points, and hit The Vortex. Simple as that... The place has won "Atlanta's Best Burger", from more publications, more times, than I can count.

big g in joisey
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Wed, 11/15/06 3:23 PM
A few months back on public television they had a documentary about fast food restaurants,one that I thought was very interesting was the Varsity and the tradition of both UGA and GA Tech after they play each other in football a lot of the fans and alumni go to the Varsity to celebrate.I believe they said that they sell between 40 to 50 thousand hotdogs on gameday.

Oneiron339
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Wed, 11/15/06 4:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by big g in joisey

A few months back on public television they had a documentary about fast food restaurants,one that I thought was very interesting was the Varsity and the tradition of both UGA and GA Tech after they play each other in football a lot of the fans and alumni go to the Varsity to celebrate.I believe they said that they sell between 40 to 50 thousand hotdogs on gameday.

The "Greasy V" as it's known is supposedly the world's largest drive-in and for the number of hotdogs, onion rings, and cokes sold.

Bill Reynolds
  • Total Posts : 230
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sun, 02/15/09 1:35 AM
The thing about the Varsity is that if you sit in the parking lot long enough you almost certainly will be given a chance to buy a Rolex for one heck of a price. I have been there two times and got the offer both times.

waiterhell
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sun, 02/15/09 6:03 AM
So, seems as if on the way to fame this site just neuters ANY dissent.....

Man, I hope the Sterns and hangers-on make enuf to justify these tactics.....to us, the original base, and THEMSELVES

What a shame.........

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1937
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sun, 02/15/09 7:15 AM
I can only speak for the chili slaw dogs, fries, and Frosted Orange.  Love the joint and have for nearly 40 years.

Gumbo191
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Sat, 02/28/09 9:44 PM

http://eatoutnwa.blogspot.com/
What’ll ya have, what’ll ya have? Driving through downtown Atlanta there is one restaurant that can’t be missed; since 1928 the Varsity in Atlanta is a true road food experience. The world’s busiest drive in serves up to 30,000 diners on a good day, outside pull up for curb side service and place your order with one of the Varsity’s renowned car hops or make your way inside and place your order at the counter when you hear the infamous “What’ll Ya Have?” request from one of counter servers.

Glorified Steak (burger with lettuce and tomato), Heavy weight sideways (chili dog w/ extra chili and onions on the side), order of rings (onion rings) and strings (hand cut fries) walking (order to go). All accompanied by a coke and a frosted orange (whipped frozen orange drink). When in downtown Atlanta you can’t miss the Varsity on North Avenue across from Georgia Tech University. You can visit one of the Varsity’s other locations for the food but visit the original Atlanta location for the experience..
<message edited by Gumbo191 on Sat, 02/28/09 9:54 PM>

SassyGritsAL
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Tue, 03/24/09 5:08 PM
I too love the Varsity. Their cilli slaw dog is great. My grandaughter went to Atlanta this past weekend and called me Sun. afternoon and said
"Guess where I am Nanny?" I said I bet you are at the Varasity! and she was. She is 12 and loves the Varsity too. I told her to eat a chilli slaw dog and eat a pile of those great greasy rings for me. I sure was jealous all the rest of the day.

Adjudicator
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 03/26/09 7:27 PM
eldo7709

I would drive 4 hours from Tallahassee to Atlanta just to have two chili-dogs and one double chili burger from the Varsity

Be my guest.  Report back to us, please. 

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1937
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Thu, 03/26/09 7:59 PM
SassyGritsAL

I too love the Varsity. Their cilli slaw dog is great. My grandaughter went to Atlanta this past weekend and called me Sun. afternoon and said
"Guess where I am Nanny?" I said I bet you are at the Varasity! and she was. She is 12 and loves the Varsity too. I told her to eat a chilli slaw dog and eat a pile of those great greasy rings for me. I sure was jealous all the rest of the day.

Yes, those chili slaw dogs are my favorites, too.  Just give me 2 with a Frosted Orange and I'm set.

ULVER
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Fri, 03/27/09 12:04 AM
Born & raised in Atlanta... My dads's law partner did a lot of work for Frank Gordy. He was who suggested that Frank make cayenne pepper available. Makes the fries work. And believe me, most times they need the help. When done right, the onion rings are a whole other story.

Speaking of done right: the North Ave. location has been dropping the ol' (Ga. Tech) ball for a while now... I have had stale buns, under-done fries, and over-done rings. The last couple visits my onions were without a doubt, of the formerly frozen variety. Slippery slop. And to be sure...you are not safe wandering anywhere, even in the parking lot. I worked Zone 5 for many a year, and it is no better than in the past. Even with off-duty officers, you may very-well have a crackhead stumbling through any of the eating areas.

The 50's were the 50's. It's not the 50's any longer. The Varsity will always be an Atlanta icon. But it's not what it used to be. Period.

Adjudicator
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Fri, 03/27/09 7:52 PM
ULVER

Born & raised in Atlanta... My dads's law partner did a lot of work for Frank Gordy. He was who suggested that Frank make cayenne pepper available. Makes the fries work. And believe me, most times they need the help. When done right, the onion rings are a whole other story.

Speaking of done right: the North Ave. location has been dropping the ol' (Ga. Tech) ball for a while now... I have had stale buns, under-done fries, and over-done rings. The last couple visits my onions were without a doubt, of the formerly frozen variety. Slippery slop. And to be sure...you are not safe wandering anywhere, even in the parking lot. I worked Zone 5 for many a year, and it is no better than in the past. Even with off-duty officers, you may very-well have a crackhead stumbling through any of the eating areas.

The 50's were the 50's. It's not the 50's any longer. The Varsity will always be an Atlanta icon. But it's not what it used to be. Period.

That was my impression a couple of years back when I did my review on it here.  I walked down from the Holiday Inn where I was staying; about three blocks, etc.  I had my PPK in my coat pocket so I wasn't really worried about being accosted.  The food was just plain nasty.  Period.  Atlanta icon or not; the food sucked.

exsquidao
  • Total Posts : 409
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Fri, 03/27/09 10:08 PM
Not for nothing and understanding the Varsity's history but when I watched the FN episode on them (granted it was a couple of years ago) thier hotdogs did not look all that great to me, then again I grew up eating Hummels (to this day) Weber's and Roesslers (sp).

badbyron722
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Tue, 05/26/09 8:21 PM
The Varsity in Atlanta and The Beacon here in Spartanburg are a lot alike.Burgers are average at best,but man the Onion Rings ar the best.Ate at The Beacon today and it was so so,but worth it just for the rings.Best Burger here in Spartanburg in my opinion is Ikes Korner Grill in the Beaumont community.

SassyGritsAL
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Mon, 06/1/09 9:38 PM
Went to my great nieces graduation (a whole 12 in her class) and after graduation Friday night we went to the Varsity.

I had my usual two chili slaw dogs and the fries. They were all great. I ate too much and wished I had only ate one dog as I was wanting a peach fried pie. Oh well, there will be a next time at the Varsity.

My two grandgirls conned me into buying them each a Varsity t-shirt ($15 each but they sure looked cute in them). One got a pink one with a retro car on the back, and the other got an orange one with advertising the orange frosty drink).

My niece lives in Powder Springs, GA which is about 25 minutes from Atlanta so we always made a trip to the Varsity.

Large Man
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Mon, 06/1/09 10:23 PM
Had the V for lunch today.  Chili cheese dog with mustard extra raw onions, chili cheese burger with extra raw onions, onion rings and large Coke (not the diet type - wouldn't be right).  Might not be the best ever but it sure did satisfy my itch.  Remember - every roadfood place can't always be the best there is, it just has to be better than the national chains.  Let me see you order a chili cheese dog at the arches!

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Mon, 06/1/09 10:35 PM
I can't agree with you about the burgers at the Beacon, badbyron722. I was there early last month and had the chili cheeseburger and onion rings that I've had numerous times before. I love this burger and consider it far better than the one that I had at the Varsity some years ago. It's true that dining at the Varsity is a roadfood experience, but a meal at the Beacon is much more rewarding.   

Large Man
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech - Mon, 06/1/09 10:52 PM
While I love the Beacon, especially the Beacon Burger aplenty ( that is a burger with everything plus a pound of fries and a pound of onion rings piled on top - feeds a family of four), I do belive the Varsity is cleaner and has better chili dogs.  The rings are a draw.  The V has fried pies, the Beacon great homemade pie.  Beacon has great sweet tea on crushed ice, The Varsity serves the best Coke on crushed ice. The best Varsity is the original in Atlanta by the North Avenue Trade School (that's GA Tech for you outsiders)  I could easily eat at either!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 69