Croatian...where "r" is a vowel...

sumi62
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Croatian...where "r" is a vowel... - Wed, 09/6/06 2:34 AM
Hiya everyone. I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about Croatian food. I don't believe there are many authentic Croatian restaurants around. Any thoughts?

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Croatian...where "r" is a vowel... - Wed, 09/6/06 6:19 AM
I only know of some in Milw, Wi.

Milt
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Croatian...where "r" is a vowel... - Mon, 11/6/06 5:33 PM
Last time I checked, there was still such a place in Kansas City, KS on 5th Street a couple of blocks south of Minnesota Ave. I've forgotten the name - but I believe they serve both Croatian and Serbian cuisine.

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Croatian...where "r" is a vowel... - Mon, 11/6/06 7:50 PM
I believe you may be thinking of Jennie's. It's been gone for a couple of years. There is a Serbian restaurant in KC called Dracon. It's still open.
St. Louis has numerous Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian places. Go only if you love an immense amount of second hand smoke with your food.

Milt
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Croatian...where "r" is a vowel... - Tue, 11/7/06 6:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by zataar

I believe you may be thinking of Jennie's. It's been gone for a couple of years. There is a Serbian restaurant in KC called Dracon. It's still open.
St. Louis has numerous Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian places. Go only if you love an immense amount of second hand smoke with your food.

That's it! Jennie's was where I had lunch fairly frequently when I worked in the Fairfax district. Sarma (I think it was called) was my favorite, but I never had a bad meal there.

buckeye1
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Croatian...where "r" is a vowel... - Sat, 11/25/06 10:27 PM
Cleveland has a large Croatian population, both in the old neighborhood around E. 55th Street and I-90 as well as in the far eastern suburbs in Lake County.

Kiseljak Restaurant is located at 6304 St. Clair Ave. in Cleveland. Kiseljak offers fine Croatian & European Foods made the old fashion way. All meals are cooked from fresh meats and vegetables provided by Cleveland's local butchers and grocers.

Daily Specials:
Mondays: Roast Pork…..Chicken Paprikash
Tuesday: Lamb & Cabbage…..Stuffed Peppers
Wednesday: Burek or Pita….Stuffed Cabbage
Thursday: Beef Stroganoff….Risotto
Friday: Perch or Shrimp ….Perch/Shrimp Combo…Beef Goulash

Contact Info:
6304 St. Clair Ave.
Cleveland, Ohio 44103
Phone: 216-431-4529

Also in Eastlake in Lake County, there is a huge Croatian restaurant and banquet facility, Dubrovnik Garden, at the site of the Croatian Heritage Museum at 34900 Lake Shore Boulevard along the Lake Erie shoreline. www.croatianmuseum.com

Cleveland also boasts a large Slovenian community with several ethnic butchers and restaurants. The most popular is Frank Sterle's Slovenian Country House on East 55th in the old neighborhood. They have live Cleveland-style polka music every Friday and Saturday night. www.sterlescountryhouse.com

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: Croatian...where "r" is a vowel... - Sat, 11/25/06 11:15 PM
hey Milt, I've got the Cabbage roll recipe from Jennie's, if you want it. They were friends of my parents.

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Croatian...where "r" is a vowel... - Sun, 11/26/06 10:58 AM
I'd like the recipe for the cabbage rolls!

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7745
Re:Croatian...where "r" is a vowel... - Sat, 10/17/09 7:08 PM
sumi62

Hiya everyone. I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about Croatian food. I don't believe there are many authentic Croatian restaurants around. Any thoughts?

S. C. Rudar  in Long Island City.

http://www.rudarclubny.com/restaurant.asp

That is the most authentic as well as Roadfood experience for Croatian in this area. There is a fairly large community of Croatian families in Bergen County. The food is excellent. You can recognize the close proximity to Italy in many Croatian dishes.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Sat, 10/17/09 7:10 PM>