Taco-flavored Doritos

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 79
frogger67
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 0
Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 09/6/06 4:39 PM
Does anyone else remember this flavor? It was around in the '70s and early '80s, and had a sombrero image on the bag. These are not to be confused with the Taco Bell Doritos that were around in the '90s.
I loved this flavor and wish Doritos would bring them back. Considering all of the flavors they came out with.....bring taco flavor back! They were spicy and so tasty.
Also Frito-Lay: Bring back Nacho Cheese Tositos while you're at it.

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 09/6/06 6:15 PM
Count me in as well. I was about 7 or 8 at the time, my dad used to buy those at the liquor store down the street just for me, along with Wise BBQ chips (still around). They are right up there in the pantheon of long lost snacks. Another candidate would be Charles Chips, which once had a bacon flavored potato chip that was out of this world.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 09/6/06 6:46 PM
At least we still have Chili Cheese Fritoes!
Joe

soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1026
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 09/6/06 10:51 PM
I have seen Taco flavored Doritoes around, and have recently bought them, but they are nothing like the ones in the 1970's, that left your fingers orange. They don't have as much seasoning on them now. Just not the same.

Mike Sell's in Ohio has a bacon flavored potato chip that is awesome!! And I love Chili Cheese Fritoes, as well.

Mmmm, snacks!

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 09/6/06 11:30 PM
Wow, a snack I actually remember! Been a day or two on that one. But actually, they had a seasoned taste, but nothing I really miss. Was like a dusting of Lawrys Taco Seasoning on them if I remember correctly.

Give me back the Cheetos Flaming Hot, (ya, they're still around, but the bite is nowhere near what it used to be).

juniorjin
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Thu, 09/7/06 3:17 AM
actually at a meijer in the greater detroit area, i found some doritos taco chips last week..they were on special 3 for 5 dollars
and they were soo good..tasted like cool ranch but without the tangy kick...brings back memories of old dutch taco chips

so it's a good sign that these are still available...

stephiegirl
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Sat, 09/9/06 10:38 AM
Speaking of bringing chips back, I wish that Frito-Lay would bring back those honey BBQ Fritos that had a grilled look to them. They have the same chips in a Twist form, but the flattened ones were so much crunchier.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Sat, 09/9/06 10:43 AM
In my opinion, The Taco Doritoes on the shelf now taste nothing like the one in the 70's.I have tried them in hopes they were the original.I am not saying they are not a good chip, but not what I remember in my minds eye.Or my taste buds have changed over the last 25 years!!!!!!

essvee
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Sat, 09/9/06 11:00 AM
Yeah, I remember those. I've mused about them often. They were especially good, I think, because they weren't over-ingrediented or over-seasoned. Just tortilla chips dusted with taco seasoning, mostly chili powder, if i remember correctly. A nice simple flavor profile that didn't mask the flavor of the chip itself. Impossible to sell nowadays, it's not "extreme" enough.

ann peeples
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Sat, 09/9/06 12:48 PM
essvee-you hit the nail on the head-a subtle flavoring where the taste of the chip was still evident...

junebughed
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Fri, 09/15/06 3:42 AM
hey frogger, i live in chicago and we have had taco flavored doritos ever since they originally came out, and they never took them off the market, so come here to chicago and get ya some!

TheHotPepper.com
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Fri, 09/15/06 3:48 AM
The old ones had a nice earthy taste.

Momcat25
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Sat, 09/23/06 10:44 PM
I was surfing the net tonight, looking for a place to buy Doritos Taco chips when I found this site! Wow, it's good to know I am not the only one thinking about them! I remember eating them back in the 70s, I was hooked on them! Then, they suddenly disappeared from my area. I always thought they discontinued them. Then one day last week, I got a real bad craving for them and decided to contact Frito Lay to see if they could maybe bring them back, after all, it's been 20 something years since they were in my area, and Mexican food is more popular in the northeast now too. I was surprised when the customer service lady said they were never discontinued, just pulled from this area, because their market research department decided they weren't doing good in this area. The only place you can find them now is somewhere in the midwest. She said she would give my message to the marketing department, because they like to hear that their product is wanted in a certain area. So I suggest that if you want to find them again, call Frito Lay, you can get the phone number from their web site, and let them know. In the process, you'll get two 55 cents off any Frito Lay product!

ann peeples
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Sat, 09/23/06 11:06 PM
The local Frito-lay marketing people come in for lunch all the time-and i have discussed the taco flavored Doritoes-the ones from the 70s were discontinued and they have new ones brought "back"in 2004(?).Not at all the same but still a decent chip-by all means call them and get the free coupons and ask for them to be brought back in your area!!

Jadey
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Tue, 10/31/06 10:11 PM
I liked the taco flavored one's better than the nacho cheese.

But I really would like to see the Nacho Cheese flavored Tostitos come back! That is one of my favorite snack foods of all time.

I'd like to sit back with some Chicken Littles, some nacho cheese Tostitos and a Nesbitt's blue creme soda right now.

jesse d
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Thu, 03/15/07 10:06 PM
HI EVERYONE, I GET MINE ON EBAY.JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW!!!!
NOT THE NASTY TACO BELL FLAVOR.
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

reno30
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Sat, 03/17/07 11:55 PM
I loved the original Taco flavored Doritos. I never understood why they stopped making them. I hate the "taco supreme" flavor they replaced them with.

jlcmfc76
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Thu, 05/17/07 12:41 PM
I had cheeseburger flavored doritos. My sisters neighbor works at frito-lay here and gave her a bg to try. They were pretty good and tasted like a cheeseburger.

Jodyd
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Tue, 08/14/07 9:43 PM
There is no doubt that for my money, Taco Flavor Doritos were the very BEST of their brand to EVER hit the market. Why they decided to remove these are BEYOND me. The Nacho Cheese flavor does not even compare. I was born and raiser in the bay area (Northern California) and I ate the Taco Flavor Doritos in the 70's and 80's as a kid growing up. I think I'll try and go to their site and ask them WHY they don't bring these chips back, unchanged recipe.

nicolem
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Thu, 08/16/07 7:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

Count me in as well. I was about 7 or 8 at the time, my dad used to buy those at the liquor store down the street just for me, along with Wise BBQ chips (still around). They are right up there in the pantheon of long lost snacks. Another candidate would be Charles Chips, which once had a bacon flavored potato chip that was out of this world.

Wow-you brought back great memories for me. In the 70's, my dad would drive me to 7-11. I would run in and get Wise BBQ chips for him, Taco flavored doritos for me and we would go home and watch the Yankee game.

Nicole

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Thu, 08/16/07 9:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by nicolem

quote:

Wow-you brought back great memories for me. In the 70's, my dad would drive me to 7-11. I would run in and get Wise BBQ chips for him, Taco flavored doritos for me and we would go home and watch the Yankee game.

Nicole

It must be a New Jersey thing. I was more disposed to watching the Giants, though.

Jodyd
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Thu, 08/16/07 8:27 PM
I'm tellin' ya, the Taco Flavor Doritos were the absolute BEST Chips EVER!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by nicolem

quote:

Nicole

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Tue, 08/21/07 11:16 PM
This weekend I went in a 7-11 down in FL. They had snack sized doritos bags with two flavors inside. One was taco. Should have bought them but I was going for health kick. Stupid, should have known health kick would go up against pizza and lose.

frogger67
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 08/22/07 1:04 PM
I just went down to the little store in our office building and what did I see? A bag of Doritos "Collisions" (two flavors in one bag):
Chipolte Ranch and (drum roll)...Zesty Taco.
The zesty taco tastes like what I remember--maybe a little too much taco powder, but much better than that Taco Bell flavor they had.
Let's see if the powers that be at Frito Lay decide to dedicate an entire bag of them.
I also saw Lay's Crab flavored potato chips...that's a new one too. Utz has a crab flavor chip that's pretty spicy.

reno30
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 08/22/07 4:06 PM
I bought those zesty taco and ranch two flavors in one bag and you know what?? I think the zest taco IS the old taco flavoring from the 70s and early 80s!!

divefl
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 08/22/07 4:32 PM
Do they have large bags of the collisions? Been travelling so no grocery shopping. I've only seen grab bags.

reno30
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 08/22/07 4:43 PM
I bought a large bag

kisscat69
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Thu, 08/23/07 3:03 PM
quote:

Gibbles had a bacon flavored chip too but they're gone as well, DRAT

owen13
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Thu, 08/30/07 9:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by reno30

I bought those zesty taco and ranch two flavors in one bag and you know what?? I think the zest taco IS the old taco flavoring from the 70s and early 80s!!

I also just bought a big bag of Collisions Zesty Taco/Chipotle Ranch since I'm required by law to try every new flavor of Doritos, or at least someone told me that once. Anyway, I got it expecting the horrible, tragic Taco Bell Taco flavor with a "zesty" kick and some bland ranch chips but much to my surprise there was a curious flavor to the Zesty Taco chip. It was familiar. As described earlier, it had that unmistakeable "earthy" flavor that is much more chili powder then just about anything but not in-your-face like most modern Doritos flavors. I've been thru a couple of bags and I'm convinced that this flavor is very close to the original Taco recipe. I'm positive it's not exactly the original but then again it's been a well over a decade since I've tasted it so who knows. But it definitely brought back memories of my favorite Dorito flavor and one of my favorite chips period that was so tragically taken away all these years ago. I hope they do push this back to a full-bag flavor but I'll buy the Collisions if need be because it's really close to that great and of course wonderfully nostalgic flavor. *drool*

reno30
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Thu, 08/30/07 9:53 PM
I have been picking out all the taco flavored chips and throwing away the other ones.

divefl
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Thu, 08/30/07 9:56 PM
Reno let me give you my address. I kind of liked the weird ranch, too.

Eatallday
  • Total Posts : 76
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Thu, 09/6/07 1:58 AM
in France they got a flavor called sweet barbecue....definately my favorite Dorito ever. I should have brought 50 bags back home. they also got plain doritoes over there. But yea, the barbecue ones are awesome, i love eating a dorito with NO taste of cheese in it.

pdmiller
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Mon, 06/23/08 1:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kisscat69

quote:

Gibbles had a bacon flavored chip too but they're gone as well, DRAT

I grew up in England where they have all kinds of strange flavoured chips (or crisps as they're called there.) Smoky Bacon was one of my favourites, as well as Roast Chicken believe it or not. Anyway, not far from where I live is a British grocery store, and they carry them, so I can have my fix whenever I want. Here is a link to the stores site, where you can buy some if you want to try...

http://www.tasteofbritain.com/

under the snacks section.

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Mon, 06/23/08 7:52 PM
All doritos taste pretty much the same regardless of the "flavor" they claim to be.

Momcat25
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Fri, 08/29/08 10:33 PM
Well, after waiting almost 25 years to taste Dorito Taco chips again, I finally got my chance. When I last contacted Frito Lay, they told me the Taco chips were now just sold in the midwest. So, a couple of weeks ago my son had to go to an automotive training school in Appleton, WI. I asked him to look around for them in the grocery store (you can see, they are never out of my mind). Well, he found them and bought me home 2 bags. I couldn't wait ! Boy, was I disappointed! They say you can never go home again, and I guess it's the same with finally eating something that you haven't eaten in years, but they just aren't the same as I remember them. They seem kind of bland. They were never spicy hot, but they had a nice powdery taco seasoning on them that was good. They must have changed the recipe or something, or maybe my tastebuds have dulled over the past 25 years, because they are not the same as I remember.

XanaJew
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Sun, 09/14/08 6:32 PM
On Friday at my local Wal-Mart, I came across the Taco flavored Doritos. It was in a special packaging and being touted as a "Back by popular demand" flavor! They also had the Four Cheese flavor. I was kinda leary to buy the Taco flavor after reading the previous posts and how the flavor (or others' personal taste buds) might've changed since its original release. I'm hoping to come across a small bag to try them or hear from others on here. Anyone else come across them yet?

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Sun, 09/14/08 6:34 PM
Serve them with either of these two quality beverages...Russ

When they originally came they seemed to have more powder on them. And some of them had a lot of flavoring on them. The new ones are lightly seasond and as always not as good as the original.

XanaJew
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Sun, 09/14/08 6:42 PM
Hmmm, thanks for the quick feedback. Maybe, I'll pass then

4NICK8ER
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Fri, 01/30/09 11:51 AM
when I was a kid in the 70's, phila suburbs, theses were my hands down fav.
- finally found them in ohio last year. I agree - simalar, but not the same. they now
contain cheese, which they did not before (I think) and I beleive this os the major flavor difference.

- man I used to love those chips !!

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Mon, 02/2/09 4:26 PM
4NICK8ER

when I was a kid in the 70's, phila suburbs, theses were my hands down fav.
- finally found them in ohio last year. I agree - simalar, but not the same. they now
contain cheese, which they did not before (I think) and I beleive this os the major flavor difference.

- man I used to love those chips !!

Nice name.........

We've got them here and I agree they just about all taste the same. The kid's like taco salads made with them.

porkchopexpress
  • Total Posts : 798
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 02/4/09 8:20 AM
I use to love the Taco Doritos but haven't seen them in a while

dasl_4
  • Total Posts : 187
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Tue, 12/28/10 4:54 AM
ooooops .. I posted in wrong thread
´╗┐Taco flavored Doritos in retro packaging showed up at Publix in Forida
Dec. 27 2010
I didn't have a camera with me ... will try and get one today

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1929
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Tue, 12/28/10 7:44 AM
PapaJoe8

At least we still have Chili Cheese Fritoes!
Joe

Chili Cheese Fritos rock! 

MellowRoast
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Tue, 12/28/10 7:54 AM
This is on the market now.  Will it work?

ann peeples
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Tue, 12/28/10 10:57 AM
No-not in my opinion,Mellow. I have tried them( and every other taco Dorito they keep coming up with)and they are just not the same as the beloved ones from the 70s.

MellowRoast
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Tue, 12/28/10 12:05 PM
Wow.  Well, shucks.

ann peeples
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos - Tue, 12/28/10 12:13 PM
Not to say you you shouldnt try them! Just not at all the same to me...

dasl_4
  • Total Posts : 187
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 12/29/10 3:10 PM

MellowRoast
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 12/29/10 4:24 PM
dasl_4:  Thanks for the picture.  Hope I can find them locally, so I can see what everyone's raving about. 
<message edited by MellowRoast on Wed, 12/29/10 4:27 PM>

ann peeples
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Wed, 12/29/10 5:39 PM
Now thts more like it, dasl_4! I will be looking for those!

Chilegod
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Fri, 01/7/11 8:54 PM
Hi
The topic of Taco Flavor Doritos has fascinated me on an off for the last two years.
I liked the Tacos at Midnight but as many have found they are not exactly like the way we remember the "originals".
I am in central coast California.
The closest I have found to the Taco flavor seasoning are sometimes sold in health food stores as a bulk item or sometimes in a health food store called "Pico De Gayo' flavor.
I have found that regionally, there are specific Doritos products that are not equally available to everyone.
I found two bags for $3.99 of the Limited Edition Taco flavor in a similar "Classic" bag design at 7/11. Only one in the area that I have seen.
The Limited Edition as pictured in an above post seem like heavy sour cream cheese sort of flavor. There is a very slight, or subtle chili powder flavor.
They aren't bad but I couldn't eat many of them until I would have to stop.

Chilegod
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Fri, 01/7/11 9:03 PM
I also wanted to mention that I remember the corn chips were different in the originals. I remember the Taco flavor and the non flavored, "Plain" chips, both were quite yellow and harder, sharper and with larger bubbles than todays Doritos.
I think we get a lot more variety today, and perhaps sacrifice some food quality.

Chilegod
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Fri, 01/7/11 9:09 PM
I have an image of the original bag but am not allowed to embed a link for a month.
Maybe the Admin would wave the restriction.

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Fri, 01/7/11 11:31 PM
That limited bag brought back memories. My mom took a shine to those around '70 that turned me on to them. I do remember the plain and taco flavor of the time as well. What nobody has mentioned unless it was a regional thing, was they actually introduced an improved version of the taco flavor (`73-`74 ?) that was promoted to have even more seasoning. These were variable. Sometimes they were so heavily seasoned they appeared a dark orange-brown color, other times they didn't appear to be anymore seasoned then the originally introduced. Your fingers would turn orange from the coating building up on your fingers when they were really heavily seasoned.

ann peeples
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Sat, 01/8/11 3:47 AM
I remember those, Dawn, and sure wish they would be made again.I loved those, and you are right-every batch was different.

MellowRoast
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Sat, 01/15/11 10:36 PM
Well, I located them at Wal-Mart tonight, grabbed a bag for $2.50, and am eager to try them for the first time.  I may just use them to scoop up my Cheddar-Jack pimento cheese.  Interestingly, they were right next to a Pepsi Throwback display, so I grabbed a case of those, too.
<message edited by MellowRoast on Sat, 01/15/11 10:38 PM>

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Sat, 01/15/11 11:49 PM

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Sun, 01/16/11 1:49 AM
While the bag looks like the original did, the chips don't look like they have much seasoning on them.

While we're on the subject of the retro chips, wonder how many folks remember a great accessory that would go with several bags of these and a couple of those really cheap, store brand, onion and sour cream dips that used to sell for about 29 cents back then. They used to call them Mary Gins and some knockoffs were called Merry Gins. These were indespensible back then along with a plastic, cafeteria serving tray b4 working up an appetite for your chips and that freezer full of the cheap, 10" Totinio's frozen Pizza on Friday or Saturday nights while you were contemplating the molecular biology of the fibers in the shag rug on the floor with your friends. Need I mention the perfect pairing of Boone's Farm Apricot wine with the chips? 
Kirschner's Rock Concert or Midnight Special on late night TV with the Wolfman?

Just wanted to add a little historical context to the reason the chips were sold and how they used to be eaten as head food to those of you too young or too old to recall partaking this weekend sacrament and the transubstantiation that occured after eating them.

To those of you that do remember the 'gins. Did any of you ever see or own any miniature hamsters that fit inside of them?

I didn't think so.

<message edited by DawnT on Sun, 01/16/11 12:03 PM>

MellowRoast
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Sun, 01/16/11 8:10 AM
DawnT

While the bag looks like the original did, the chips don't look like they have much seasoning on them.

Bear in mind that's not a see-through bag, but rather a product picture on the bag, and what you're viewing here is a picture of a picture of a picture.    Looking forward to trying them, though.  I don't think I ever tried their taco chips from the '70s, so I won't have a flavor reference, but I certainly hope I enjoy them.

Don't remember Mary Gins, but I got my first thrill on Strawberry Hill. 

ann peeples
Re:Taco-flavored Doritos - Sun, 01/16/11 8:58 AM
Come on, mellow, open them up!!!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 79