Donuts from Raquette Lake General Store in NY

HughYeman
  • Total Posts : 84
  • Reward points : 0
Donuts from Raquette Lake General Store in NY - Thu, 09/7/06 9:04 PM
I spent Labor Day weekend with my fiancé and we made two special trips to the General Store in Raquette Lake: one on Saturday and one on Monday, the day they closed for the year. It was glorious. We loaded up on cinnamon and plain donuts, and I ate way more than any one person was ever meant to consume. Sitting on the end of the dock watching the early morning sun over the lake; my honey, a bag of donuts, and a jug of milk by my side... heaven. And that's before I even touched the utterly mind-blowing chocolate chip cookies and the amazingly rich oatmeal raisin cookies. That place... the drive there is becoming a sort of pilgrimage for me. I'm looking forward to next year.

-Hugh

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Donuts from Raquette Lake General Store in NY - Fri, 09/8/06 3:49 AM
I used to live in Inlet and Eagle Bay.
I totally remember those 'nuts..
Isnt there a little pub right near that shop?
Down the alleyway, near the lake?

RC51Mike
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: Donuts from Raquette Lake General Store in NY - Fri, 09/8/06 8:14 AM
Isn't the bar around the corner in the same building or right next to it. The general store and those donuts are one of the quintessential Adirondack experiences...in a roadfood sort of way.

I also like the bakery in Inlet and the Tamarack Cafe for breakfast. Have to sit in the booth with half a canoe for a table.

Other favorites while we're on the subject of Adirondack breakfasts. Blue Moon in Saranac Lake, Saranac Sourdough in Lake Placid and Long Lake Diner.

HughYeman
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Donuts from Raquette Lake General Store in NY - Sat, 09/9/06 8:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

I used to live in Inlet and Eagle Bay.

My family camp is on Uncas Road, about two and a half miles in from Route 28. There used to be nothing but little hunting lodges, like the camp still is, on that road. Now the camp is dwarfed by the houses that have come in during the last ten years or so.

quote:

I totally remember those 'nuts..
Isnt there a little pub right near that shop?
Down the alleyway, near the lake?

Yes, the bar is actually part of the same building. I've never been in it, though.

-Hugh

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Donuts from Raquette Lake General Store in NY - Mon, 09/11/06 2:20 AM
I used to live on the top floor of that A-frame house on the corner of Uncas Road and 28...
We used to take Uncas Road on sleds to get to Raquette Lake in the winter time.....

The horse stables were right behind me, (are they still there?) and on a hot day, with the wind blowing right, I couldnt sit on my deck that faced them..

max843
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Donuts from Raquette Lake General Store in NY - Tue, 06/19/07 11:50 PM
That is so cool reading your comments about the RL donuts - 50 years ago the donuts were made on the premises (or in a nearby kitchen) and were all the rage. The wood and glass counters still in use were originally all filled with home-made baked goods. And BTW the pub these days is great - fantastic food.

callmebruce
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Donuts from Raquette Lake General Store in NY - Fri, 06/22/07 8:55 AM
That is so cool! There used to be a nice donut shop by Fourth Lake as well. Man, I miss vacationing in the Adirondacks!

rongmtek
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: Donuts from Raquette Lake General Store in NY - Fri, 06/22/07 10:48 AM
This thread made me remember a real gem from a while back, in the lower Hudson Valley:
SCHULTZ'S DONUTS, in Armonk, NY.
On a chilly fall morning, folks lined up early on the weekend to buy bags of hot, right-out-of-the-oil donuts: plain, cinnamon or powdered sugar. You would watch them bubbling away as you inched up the line, and then we'd all sit on the hillside next to Old Route 22 as the kids got their sugar rush.
A real family farm market, and a few generations working together. They held out for a long time, but eventually somebody made them an offer they couldn't refuse. Now it's all luxury condos- what else?

rongmtek
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: Donuts from Raquette Lake General Store in NY - Fri, 06/22/07 10:52 AM
Wait! How could I have forgotten to mention SCHULTZ'S cider? It was the best in the area, and this is apple country.
Ron

dabu999
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Donuts from Raquette Lake General Store in NY - Fri, 06/22/07 11:23 AM
Max is right about the food at the Tap Room. We spend a fair amount of time at Sagamore and that's always a stop when we're up that way. I'll have to remember about those donuts when we head up there in July.