The Walleye Sandwich

Junior Burger
2006/09/10 19:12:29
Roadfooders,

I just posted a sandwich I had in Minneapolis last week on my travels but would also like to share another great sandwich I experienced, the Walleye.

If you are close to Mall of America on the north side, first floor, stop into the Twin Cites Grill.

The Walleye is cooked to order, fried in a crispy light batter. You can not beat the taste and flavor. The tartar sauce was delicious and really topped the sandwich off along with the tomato and lettuce. French Fries were the side of choice, but look to enjoy a tasty delight.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/10 19:35:17
I wanna go!
Iwanago
Junior Burger
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/10 19:38:17
Poverty,

If there is anyone Iwanago with is U! But we have to go on the Harley!!!!
Theedge
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/10 20:39:03
Thanks for the heads up Iwango, I will be able to try it in a few weeks when I'm up that way. Last time I was at the mall I ate at Tucci Benucch, I thought the baked spaghetti was very good. I always stop at the mall and spend a night in the cities before flying out.
Poverty Pete
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/10 22:47:32
quote:
Originally posted by Iwanago

Poverty,

If there is anyone Iwanago with is U! But we have to go on the Harley!!!!

Roslyn, just tell me you'll be home in Marysville next Saturday, and I will whisk you away on my two-wheeled chariot to the destination of your choice.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/11 04:02:59
Now that I'm down in the Lower 48, Iwanago too! We served Great Lakes walleye at my restaurant in Traverse City and it was one of my favorite dishes.

Oh, and Poverty, could you put the side car on for me, and a yellow ascot please??
Iwanago
Junior Burger
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/11 09:09:30
Poverty and Lleechef,

I know, the Harley does sound fun. I unfornatley will not be home next weekend, attending a 25 year High School reunion/Homecoming, but be sure to keep me posted in the future so we can hook up.

Enjoy your ride through Tennessee!
Pigiron
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/11 10:40:06
quote:

If you are close to Mall of America on the north side, first floor, stop into the Twin Cites Grill.

I don't think there's a food on earth that would tempt me to set foot inside something titled "The largest mall in the United States".

Does this place have a brick and mortar outpost somewhere? I love Walleye.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/11 10:50:13
Try Tavern on Grand in St. Paul. Also check out this thread where the subject of Walleye and where to get it are discussed at great length by knowledgeable folks.

http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9729

Buddy
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/11 11:48:54
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:

I don't think there's a food on earth that would tempt me to set foot inside something titled "The largest mall in the United States".

Does this place have a brick and mortar outpost somewhere? I love Walleye.

Pigiron: The Twin Cities Grill has very easy access. It is located on the first floor on the north entrance. It is just a few doors on the left as you enter. It is a wonderful place and very atypical of any mall restaurant. It is very local, very good, walleye is very good and the bread is super.

Another thing is the Mall of American is very entertaining and not like any other mall I have visited. It is more like a museum of stuff and the food selection in the food court is very good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/11 22:29:38
The site BuddyRoadHouse cited has a picture of the Tavern on Grand Walleye sandwich as does Wandering Jew's recent Midwest baseball tour thread. I like both places. It has been a while since I sampled the Twin Cities Grill walleye but I remember I liked it. I hope to try it soon and of course you will get a picture.

As for the Mall of America. That's my baby. I was the Architectural Technical Director on the project that was fast track construction and took three years to build. It is on the site of the old Vikings/Twins Metropolitan Stadium. In fact home plate is marked on the floor of the interior amusement park near the northwest end. The whole stadium would have fit inside the amusement park under what was once the largest skylight arrays. The mall is a donut that surrounds it. 4.2 million square feet and over 500 shops. There is 7 miles of underground 20 ft. high retaining wall that comprises a labyrinth of basement storage outsiders never see. When it was under construction and before the interior walls were put in you could stand at one end and look across a half mile. Yeah, it is kind of big and they want to add another 5.2 million square feet including a 300,000 sq. ft. Bass Pro Shop, 6,000 seat performance auditorium, a 1,400 seat dinner theatre, a water park, two hotels and 1.2 million sq. ft. of more retail. And they want to connect it the the existing Ikea. If they realize that, it is going to be BIG. Love it or hate it. I love it. That's my little trivia factoid for today.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/11 22:34:59
Thanks Davy, I am not much on Mall shopping, but our stop at THE MALL was an amazing experience. It has to be the one place that consumerism has run rampant since the doors opened. I really enjoyed our 3 or 4 hours of looking around ! That was 5 years ago, and I understand the place has undergone an expansion since then!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/12 20:37:41
Mayor, No expansion since with the exception of a new Ikea and a light transit rail connection to the airport and downtown Minneapollis. The things I described are what is proposed.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/09/19 16:36:55
I will be returning to Minneapolis in a few weeks and I will be sure to visit the Twin Cities Grill in the Mall of America. It is one of the few restaurants in a mall that I truly can call roadfood. Their walleye is super and they serve it so many ways. My favorite is fried.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Theedge
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/10/06 09:48:12
As you fellows recommended it, I did stop by the Twin Cities Grill last weekend. The Walleye was excellent as were the vinegar fries. They also gave me a free sample of their flat bread that was delicious. I topped it off with a generous helping of cheese cake with strawberries.

Thanks for the heads up!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/10/06 20:11:56
I guess I am going to have to take a break from my breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches and run down to the Mall of America and re-sample the Twin Cities Grill's walleye sandwich.

I had a very good one at the Pine Street Grille in Chaska, MN last week. The picture is in the Minnesota Walleye Sandwich thread in the Roadfood.com Sandwich board. I never thought of walleye as "seafood".
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/10/06 22:06:35

Davy

I have the same problem thinking that Catfish are "seafood" here on Roadfood!!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The Walleye Sandwich 2006/10/06 22:28:45
I am not really sure about the definition of seafood but I sure hope walleye makes the list. Great fish and again, the Twin Cities Grill in the Mall of American does it right.

At least walleye live in the water

One of the few mall restaurants that does it right.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN