Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX

dinerdiva
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Sat, 09/16/06 6:41 AM
To HollyDolly and all interested others in the area, RRSS is open and the food is good! We've not eaten at the original restaurant just North of Corpus Christi, but had read that the menu was a surprise (the avocado salad is supposed to be great).
We had the day's special of catfish filet stuffed with seafood/dressing, and two sides for 7.99. Hearty meal.
Seasoning is homestyle, not bland. The roasted garlic rosemary potatoes were bold and delicious. The slaw contains broccoli with golden raisins, bacon, cabbage, carrot, etc. and is a winner.
Service is spotty, but they've only been open a few days. The log cabin venue is clean and nicely organized, but they could use a few more railroad touches. (we thought perhaps model trains running around up above, or an active simulated crossing sign, some train soundtrack and large memorabilia.)
Don't be put off by the building being way back off Highway
78 ... it's big inside, and has a great deck with trestle tables overlooking a playground (which is just dirt right now).
They're off to a great start.

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1065
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Mon, 09/18/06 3:23 PM
Thanks DinerDiva.Didn't know it was open yet.I haven't tried it yet but will soon.
Didn't know there was another one of the same name in Corpus.The day's special with the catfish stuffed with seafood dressing sounds good.Yeah the place does sit back,but you can see it off of 78.I think Deitz Creek runs in back of the place and joins up with the Cibolo somewhere down the line.
You must be from around here.Have you tried Carmine's on 3009 yet? It's Italian food,but they don't have their to go menus yet,cause Susie at work stopped in and all they had was the regular size menu.
Said they would be getting them in soon.
We don't have any seafood places around here except Long John Silver and the two places in the Olympia Forum.

dinerdiva
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Tue, 09/19/06 6:24 AM
Carmine's on 3009 ... beautiful room. Haven't tried it
yet. We like to research a new restaurant first, especially
when it looks pricey. They don't have a menu outside and we
haven't seen any reviews or adverts.
If the website from NYC we found is the same outfit, then we
will have to limit our visits to very special occasions!
Yes, I live in Schertz also. We're always on the lookout for
new healthy menus!

HollyDolly
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Tue, 09/19/06 9:16 AM
I'll have to check out Carmine's website. Don't know if it's the same one.Sometimes you will find a place that has the same name,but there is no connection.By the way,In the Olympia Forum,they are putting in a Hearthstone Bakery Cafe.www.hearthstonebakerycafe.com.
They have some veggie sandwiches and wraps,as well as soup and salads.No prices listed on the website,which I hate,since sometimes I like to check out the prices first. Have you checked out the new AuDangs on the I35 access road by Shipley's Donuts? Had something from there for lunch one day,was pretty good.

dinerdiva
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Wed, 09/20/06 8:19 AM
Hearthstone looks interesting, doesn't it? DH and I were just lamenting a few days ago that there
weren't any bakery restaurants (like Panera) around. We'll definitely be checking it out!
Now if Whole Foods or Sun Harvest would just come to the Northeast ...
Nope, we haven't tried Aw Dang yet ... is it strictly buffet, or can you order from a menu?

HollyDolly
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Wed, 09/20/06 9:59 AM
Aw Dang has a menu and a buffet which i haven't tried yet.Yeah,it would be nice if Whole Foods or Sun Harvest came here.I think there is only one Whole Foods in Town.There certainly would be enough business for one with all the home building going on.Was once in Sun Harvest at US281 and Henderson Pass.There was a lady in there buying meat and she lived out by Canyon Lake. One in this area would be a lot closer.Hearthstone really doesn't sell breads like Panera.There is an Au Bon Pain but it is in one of the hotels on Loop410.Wish we would get a Panera here in the Forum or maybe in the new Fountains of Live Oak when that finally opens in a year or two across from the Forum.

deltalady
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Wed, 12/13/06 2:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dinerdiva

To HollyDolly and all interested others in the area, RRSS is open and the food is good! We've not eaten at the original restaurant just North of Corpus Christi, but had read that the menu was a surprise (the avocado salad is supposed to be great).
We had the day's special of catfish filet stuffed with seafood/dressing, and two sides for 7.99. Hearty meal.
Seasoning is homestyle, not bland. The roasted garlic rosemary potatoes were bold and delicious. The slaw contains broccoli with golden raisins, bacon, cabbage, carrot, etc. and is a winner.
Service is spotty, but they've only been open a few days. The log cabin venue is clean and nicely organized, but they could use a few more railroad touches. (we thought perhaps model trains running around up above, or an active simulated crossing sign, some train soundtrack and large memorabilia.)
78 ... it's big inside, and has a great deck with trestle tables overlooking a playground (which is just dirt right now).

deltalady
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Wed, 12/13/06 2:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dinerdiva

deltalady
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Wed, 12/13/06 2:35 PM
I agree with you about the Railroad Station. I used to eat there when it was the Arroyo. Got there just in time on Saturday for the shrimp lunch special--six shrimp with their yummy broccoli coleslaw and drink for 5.99. Not bad. Something different for Schertz finally. I went to Carmines too early--they didn't open til 4. Haven't been back yet, but plan on giving it a try. Anyone know if they have a website? I saw the review in the Express News and it looked interesting.

HollyDolly
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Mon, 01/8/07 9:29 AM
Hi Delta Lady,am not sure if Carmine's has a website.Hey,I just checked their menu we have here at work,and they don't list a website.
Will have to try the RRseafood station sometime soon.I had eaten there not only when it was Arroyo,but Pat's Place South as well.
I ate last year at Pat's Place in New Braunfels,the original one, but didn't think it was as good as their old place in Cibolo.

dinerdiva
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Mon, 01/8/07 9:44 PM
Ladies:
Still haven't gotten to Carmine's yet myself. DH is diabetic and I'm overweight so Italian calories are low on our list of priorities. But it looks like a great room.

Heard last week that there will be another restaurant for
Schertz, at the West end of the new strip next to HEB.
The folks who owned a restaurant several years ago in the BlueBonnet Palace location will be running it. They catered also. We didn't live here before '98, so don't know them.

Have either of you tried "Sue's Cafe" on 3009? We were disappointed ...
hoping for the old-style small town cafe with home made food and
desserts. Alas, it's another assembly line ... frozen meat,
imported desserts, microwaved entrees, etc. The salads were very pretty and tasty, tho ... and the restaurant is very clean and cheerful. Will go back to try their breakfast some morning.

Drop a line if you've been anywhere nifty recently - enjoy your
notes.

DD

HollyDolly
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Wed, 02/28/07 10:04 AM
Hey thanks for the information on the new restaurant that's coming to the expanded strip mall next to H.E.B. here in Schertz.
Yes,I ate once in the restaurant in back of the Blue Bonnet Palace.
It wasn't bad.First time I ate there was with Central Office,some one's birthday I think.That was way back when Hal Baldwin was business manager for the school district and was just a city councilman.

I may go to RRSeafood Station Friday,after I see what the dentist has to say.There is a new British tearoom on Main Street,as well as La Salsa Tacqueria and a little lunch cafe next to the laundry mat and Gordos Bar.The cafe sells snow cones and icecream as well.
Wish they would put a Pollo Loco or maybe an Olive Garden this way.
I had heard at one time that Lowe's might build here,but don't know what ever happend to that.

HollyDolly
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Wed, 02/28/07 10:14 AM
I can recall when there were very few restaurants here in the surrounding area.We moved back here in 1971 and my dad retired from the AirForce out at Randolph AFB in 1975 after 33years in the military.Where La Tortillita in Cibolo is now,used to be the Circle K Steakhouse.Pizza Hut used to be where Chester's Hamburgers is now,and the building that housesRRSS used to be Pat's Place South.The Original Pat's Place is in New Braunfels and still going.

All that area on Weiderstein Road out by I-35 was just country side.
We would drive that road and look for cottontail rabbits and other wildlife.

dinerdiva
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Wed, 02/28/07 10:07 PM

Fun to hear about your early foodie memories ...

Say - we finally got to Carmine's ... anyone else?

You'll laugh ... my pasta and vegetables was a little bland,
so I ended up adding the olive tampanade that came with the
bread! Brightened up my dinner just fine! The waitress thought
that was hilarious, and suggested I order double garlic or whatever
next time.
The next week I went back for a Spinach Salad at lunch,which was just great. Except that as usual, the pieces of the salad were so
big they required a knife. (Restaurants want their food to look
beautiful, not be practical.)
The restaurant is elegant, but lots of families were there. Jeans
and business casual seemed to dominate. The staff is excellent:
Chef and manager come around to be sure you're happy. Prices are about what you'd pay at Macaroni, less than Aldino's.

So many new restaurants, so little Moo-lah! Ha ha.

ciao

HollyDolly
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Thu, 03/1/07 9:32 AM
Yeah,I want to try Carmine's sometime.It has gotten good reviews in the newspaper.I think somebody
here at work tried it and liked it.There is a place in San Antonio called Gorditas Dona Tota on San Pedro a half mile or so from North Star Mall I want to try.They sell other things too.It's a chain from Mexico and they have an article about the place in today's SA Express News Business section.

xstcher2
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Thu, 03/22/07 12:11 PM
Hey, I'm new here and am excited to see some reviews of Carmine's. I've been wanting to try them. Have any of you eaten at Harmon's BBQ? (on Main St. in Cibolo) They are excellent.

dinerdiva
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Thu, 03/22/07 5:02 PM

Welcome to our area! Yep, Harmon's is only a mile away from
us, and we're in love with it ...
the potato salad is to die for. We think it's one of the 5 best BBQ
restaurants (if not THE best) in S.A. Did you know they have
another store across from the Alamo?
Re: Cibolo, have you tried the bakery? We haven't yet. Dine on!

xstcher2
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Fri, 03/23/07 2:11 PM
Actually they closed the one in downtown SA. We are Harmon's lifers -- my hubby started buying bbq sandwiches from them when they used to set up on the side of the road at 35 & 1103 (across the street from Quix) and sell out of the back of an old u-haul. Yep, their potatoe salad is awsome as well as their green beans and cream corn.

We haven't tried the bakery yet (but have bought their cookies before at Harmon's).

p.s. I'm only new to this site -- we've lived in this area for about 15 years)

HollyDolly
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Fri, 03/23/07 5:28 PM
Welcome to the forum.Didn't know they had closed the Harmon's downtown.Still want to try the RailRoad Seafood Station and Carmine's.Maybe I'll go tomorrow night to the seafood place.My sister's birthday is tomorrow.She's up in Piermont,NY,so I'll call her and go out to eat to celebrate.

dinerdiva
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Sun, 07/1/07 12:20 PM
Visited RR Seafood Station with family from OOT this
past week, and it was great, as usual. Not as crowded as it should be. They've changed their menu a bit: have more healthy options
such as fish filet and one side which is just enough for lunch.
Service is much improved and the food is very good as always.
They're handing out customer opinion forms, which leads me to believe they may be in trouble .... our server said the owner
wants to hear from everyone.
They do have music on the deck some nights, now.
Happy dining ...

HollyDolly
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Mon, 07/2/07 11:55 AM
Hi DinnerDiva!Haven't tried the RailRoad Seafood Station yet,but maybe Saturday I'll go there for dinner.Hopefully I'll get one of Mona's table.I have known her a long time.
We have at work one of their menus. Have to pick up one of their new ones.
Red Robin has those customer opinion forms as well,so it doesn't always mean a place is in trouble.The place sits back aways,and I think more advertising would help.Maybe do a quicky commerical or some ad in the weekender in the paper.that might draw in customers from San Antone.
Have you tried the new Loretta's Finest in the old Smoke Pit location on FM78 yet? I may do that sometime for lunch.
Xstcher2,haven't been to the bakery,but here at work our boss has brought in some of their pastries.Very good.
Next to Security Service and the Bank of America on I-35 they are tearing it up to put in another strip mall by H.E.B.Wonder if any food places are going in there.
If I do go to the Seafood Station Saturday,maybe I'll hang around for the music.Still haven't made it out to Texas Pride BBQ out near St.Hedwig for their Friday Fish Fry and music.They have a website if I recall.

xstcher2
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Sat, 07/7/07 1:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by HollyDolly
Next to Security Service and the Bank of America on I-35 they are tearing it up to put in another strip mall by H.E.B.Wonder if any food places are going in there.

Just found this article on the city of Schertz website.....

SCHERTZ – Bulldozers will begin turning dirt Monday, June 25th for the new Lowe’s Home Improvement center to be located at 17280 IH-35 in Schertz. The 175,000 square foot store, including a garden center, will be constructed on 20.5 acres between the La Pasadita Mexican Restaurant and the H.E.B Grocery Store and retail center at FM 3009 (Exit 175). Three pad sites will also be situated on the property and may include a new restaurant, a financial institution (First National Bank of Edinburg) and other retail operations.

HollyDolly
RE: Railroad Seafood Station in Cibolo TX - Mon, 07/9/07 6:16 PM
Thanks for the information.A co-worker,Dee,told me today that Lowe's was going in .It will be much closer of course than the one
on I-35North and O'Conner Road.