The Best Pizza You Ever Ate!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Sirloin
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2006/11/12 15:32:45
I can't say I am an expert on Indiana pizza. I haven't lived there for 38 years. When I visit I concentrate on the breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches.
tater dickens
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2006/11/29 23:30:56
Lombardi's, Johns, Totonos and Patsy's in New York Haven't made the trip to New Haven yet since I'm from California but hopefully next year. Also, never understood the attraction to "Chicago Style" thick crust pizza. My daughter lives in Chicago and I've tried the pizza several times but it apperas to me that this is more like a casserole than a pizza. But then again I also don't get the attraction to the Chicago dog. Keep the dog simple-brown mustard, chili sauce and topped with raw onions.
Nightengale212
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2006/11/30 15:37:33
I have three favorite pizza places. Caserta Pizza in Providence, R.I. which hands down is the best pizza I have ever eater. Then comes Sam's Pizza in Bristol, R.I. which has very classic Naples region pizza, and Craigeville Pizza in Hyannisport,MA which has the freshest toppings as well as great sauce. All worth a stop by if in the area.
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2006/11/30 16:39:21
Family Pizza in Triangle , VA, many years ago when they had one store. Last time I was there, they were a small chain, and the pizza was good, but nothing out of this world. The Wishing Well bar/restaurant/dive/college hangout in Springfield , MA was special. I once worked there. I did a lot of jobs but never got to make the pizza. The pizza was very variable, and made from memory. It was flat and of various shapes, depending on the mood of the maker (one of 2 brothers, or special friends, who as far as I know worked for free). It was hearth baked (not in a pan) and usually had some slightly burned spots on the edge. I never saw a woman in the kitchen. If a woman had worked there, the kitchen would have been cleaner. The area around the 'Well has gone way down hill, and I don't know if they are still open.
pineyhill
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2006/11/30 16:49:10
I've always been fond of Ted's Pizza in Menomonie, WI. Steve's Pizza in River Falls, WI also darn good. Come to think of it the owners of each place are related.
WarrenJersey
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2006/12/01 16:39:20
The best I've ever had is still 3 Brothers on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights, New Jersey. I couldn't even find their equal in Italy, with a place on Capri coming the closest. I've found in my travels all over the United States and Europe that the closer you get to New Jersey, the more the pizza is like the pizza in Naples. And, in Europe, the closer you get to Naples, the more the pizza is like the pizza in New Jersey. Another very good pizza is Pizzeria Regina in Boston and in several towns surrounding Boston. There is also a very good place in Destin, Florida called Ciao Bella. In the Dallas area, a chain called Joe's Pizza and Pasta makes very good New York-style pizza.
OilCan
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2006/12/21 18:51:12
I've been hearing about Pepe's and Sally's in New Haven, for a long time and never got a chance to visit until this year.

I looked for when I was in the area a few times but being unprepared and with no address, no luck.

Then I bought a GPS and on my way to NY a few months ago we decided to try to find Pepe's. As luck would have it they were out of clams that night and the line was long so we went to Sally's.

Very good pizza....one of the best I've ever had, and I've had quite a few.

About a month ago I got the chance to stop by Pepe's again but because of the long ride I had left I grabbed a tomato and cheese pizza to go. 2 hrs later when I got the chance to eat it, well...it was still one of the best I've ever eaten.

This week I finally got the time and chance to have one of their "White Clam" pizzas. (Excuse me as I genuflect). I have now found the place I want to be buried.

To say that it was good..or even great is an understatement. This was the best thing I've eaten in a long long time.

I can't say enough about it. A little too salty for my wife but for me it had the taste and texture of something that is clearly superiour to any other pizza you'll ever eat.

Thanks everyone for recommending Pepe's. Sally is a close second so you can't go wrong at either.

Enjoy!!

bigcookies
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2006/12/27 18:44:38
I would have to say the best pizza I've ate is from Mario's Pizza in Winston Salem, NC. They are from NY and you can tell!!
kidtcha
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2006/12/28 17:24:38
Patsy's in NYC across the street from Serendipity II.
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/01/08 01:37:20
Little Luigis( A local pizzaria) right here in town. The people that run it are from Italy and know pizza better than anybody else. Papa Murphys is also very good. I have never been dissapointed by a pizza from there. The local Piggly Wiggly also makes a pretty good take-n-bake pizza. The only frozen one I will touch is the one the local meat market makes. I dont bother buying frozen pizza from the store because every time it sucks.
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/01/08 02:17:41
would have to be maruca's (mentioned in roadfood alot) on the seaside nj boardwalk...perfect thin crust , just the right amount of cheese..so so good!
saps
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/01/08 02:53:18
quote:
Originally posted by tater dickens

Lombardi's, Johns, Totonos and Patsy's in New York Haven't made the trip to New Haven yet since I'm from California but hopefully next year. Also, never understood the attraction to "Chicago Style" thick crust pizza. My daughter lives in Chicago and I've tried the pizza several times but it apperas to me that this is more like a casserole than a pizza. But then again I also don't get the attraction to the Chicago dog. Keep the dog simple-brown mustard, chili sauce and topped with raw onions.

No, it's not a casserole. Same ingredients as other pizzas, just thicker crust and more cheese. Not too hard to figure out. Either you like it or you don't. But it certainly beats what passes for pizza in CA.

As far as Chicago dogs, it depends on where you get the dog. I'm sorry that Chicago has such little to offer in regards to food. I'm sure that Sacramento has a much better offering than our little city.

Your probably best to sticking to what you know. Sounds like you don't have a tolerance for different foods. Chains would probably work quite well for you. Most of them stay pretty consistent from coast-to-coast.
sftreat
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/01/08 07:20:22
Back in the 70's there used to be an pizza parlour called "The Citadel". Their specialty pizza that was to die for was a meduim crust pastrami and fresh sliced tomato. Best Pizza i ever put in my pie hole. The pizza parlour was located in St. Helena CA in the middle of the napa wine country.
MarbleIndex
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/01/10 22:56:38
Flying Tomato in Muncie, Indiana, had good stuffed double-crust pizza in the 1980s. It was near the Ball State campus.
Greek's Pizza, just down the street, is good too and is still going.
RandellButts
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/01/22 12:38:01
quote:
Originally posted by Polish guy

Most of you may be to young to remember real Pizza. Back in the later part of the 1940, Gary, Indiana, the first place to make Pizza in the United States, per Collier's Mag. was FLAMINGO'S, on West 5th. Ave. near Adams St. This was PIZZA, none like it since.

Do you, anyone, remember this?

HEY POLISH GUY, I HATE TO BUST YOUR BUBBLE. PIZZA WAS FIRST MADE IN NEW YORK IN 1905. CHECK OUT THIS SITE.

http://www.pizzacorner.com/history.asp
K00ky
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/01/31 23:45:58
Margherita pizza on jamaica avenue in queens new york, AMAZING
thefoodguy
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/01 12:38:58
quote:
Originally posted by OilCan

I've been hearing about Pepe's and Sally's in New Haven, for a long time and never got a chance to visit until this year.

I looked for when I was in the area a few times but being unprepared and with no address, no luck.

Then I bought a GPS and on my way to NY a few months ago we decided to try to find Pepe's. As luck would have it they were out of clams that night and the line was long so we went to Sally's.

Very good pizza....one of the best I've ever had, and I've had quite a few.

About a month ago I got the chance to stop by Pepe's again but because of the long ride I had left I grabbed a tomato and cheese pizza to go. 2 hrs later when I got the chance to eat it, well...it was still one of the best I've ever eaten.

This week I finally got the time and chance to have one of their "White Clam" pizzas. (Excuse me as I genuflect). I have now found the place I want to be buried.

To say that it was good..or even great is an understatement. This was the best thing I've eaten in a long long time.

I can't say enough about it. A little too salty for my wife but for me it had the taste and texture of something that is clearly superiour to any other pizza you'll ever eat.

Thanks everyone for recommending Pepe's. Sally is a close second so you can't go wrong at either.

Enjoy!!

So its worth the drive from northeastern CT.?...?
Andoo
Hamburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/01 12:48:43
I like Ann's in Hales Corners just outside of Milwaukee, and when I lived in Brookfield Wis. ages ago I always thought Marty's was the best. I really can't say we have even one that rates better than O.K. here in Monterey Cal. Just too thick and bready of a crust for me.
Guy Boccabella
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/04 07:30:33
This changes on a daily basis for me, but for now, I'd have to go with Spruce Pond Creamery, in Franklin, Mass., for its organic flat bread pizza. Usually organic versions of pizza taste about as good as cardboard, but Spruce Pond bucks that trend by turning out some really delicious thin crust pizzas with ripe organic Roma tomatoes and organic cheeses and flour brought to life in a wood oven. It's incredibly flavorful pizza and with some fresh organic or "natural" toppings including Bell and Evans chicken, organic portabello mushrooms, sweet red peppers, eggplant, spinach and even a non-nitrate pepperoni! The service can be a bit lethargic, at times, but for the most part can be forgiven because of the great tasting, fresh pizza. As an added bonus, Spruce Pond Creamery makes some wonderful homemade ice cream. We've had phenomenal flavors like raspberry, chocolate truffle and apple cream pie. Pizza and ice cream -- what a great combination, especially when its a tad more healthy version!

Spruce Pond Creamery, 370 King Street, Franklin , MA (508) 520-7900

Eric
bxfinest
Hamburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/09 13:33:26
Nicks Pizza on E. Gun Hill rd.(off the 5 train) Bronx USA.
Good pizza and the best tasting sicilians you'll find anywhere.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/09 13:57:54
John's of Bleeker Street in NYC. For a local (Washington, DC) pizza, Pizzeria Paradiso.
sudie
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/09 14:13:47
Glad to see Fricano's in Grand Haven MI mentioned. I've been eating there on and off since I was little, and whenever I get back there, it's always as good as I remembered it.
dholk
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/09 14:28:02
The best pizza I ever ate was at Adrienne's Pizza Bar in the financial district of Manhattan. Their regular round pizzas are great, but their sheet (grandma-style) pizzas are amazing. I've eaten there several times and have yet to be disappointed.

Here's some info about the place from sliceny.com:

http://www.sliceny.com/archives/2005/06/adriennes_pizza.php
danimal15
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/09 14:30:45
There was a time, back in the 1970s and 1980s, when the pizza at Pizzeria Due in Chicago was as close to perfection as you could wish for in a food. I had several experiences with pizzas there that were heavenly. Unfortunatley, the place has gone really downhill the last 10 years. It's not even my favorite pizza in Chicago anymore. That honor might well go to the stuffed spinach at Piero's in Highland Park.

I've also had great pizza eating experiences at (where else?) Pepe's in New Haven.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/09 14:35:00
John's, Bleeker Street, NYC
katandmoon
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/09 14:55:13
The best pizza I've ever eaten is at Zio's Italian Restaurant in Gaithersburg, MD. The crust is just right and the tomato sauce is outstanding.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/09 15:58:41
Pepe's & Roseland, haven't tried Sally's or Modern yet...
llg
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/09 18:31:23
New Haven CT and surrounding area is the pizza capitol of the world as far as my husband and I are concerned. Since moving south to NC, the one thing we miss is great pizza. It's very sad.

These are our favorites in the New Haven CT area

Zuppardi's West Haven
Bacco's Waterbury
Rossini's Cheshire
Bimonte's Hamden
Roseland Derby
Modern Apizza New Haven
Tolli's East Haven
Frank Pepe's New Haven
Sally's New Haven
The Spot New Haven

carolg
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/17 13:03:32
WOW! Memories.....first it'd have to be my grandmother's
Sicilian. Out and about in Pittsburgh it was Beto's for me.
Now in Winston-Salem, hands down it is Mario's!
Big Ugly Mich
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/17 13:14:38
Pizzeria Uno's on Michigan and Wabash in Chicago. Of course it was Chicago Style (1/4' crust if that thick, but more than 1' pie. Major yum). I've been to other Pizzeria Uno's since, but they all, while pretty good, pale in comparison, as does Edwardo's.
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/17 19:44:27
In rural Iowa, at different parts of my life, I loved:

1.) In grade school: Shakey's Pizza Parlor in Sioux Falls (Ad Jingle: "We Serve Fun at Shakeys, also Pizza." Probably more truth in that than I knew).

2.) In high school, with my friends: Godfather's at the then new mall in Worthington, Minnesota, a 16-mile drive to the only multi-plex in the area, the only McDonald's, and the only pizza.

3.) Babe's, in downtown Des Moines, when I was a sophomore and high school and took my first real trip to Des Moines with members of the high school speech and drama club.

4.) Pizza Ranch in downtown Sheldon, Iowa, a place I dined every day during lunch while working my first full-time newspaper job.

5.) Big Tomato Pizza, Des Moines, today (open til 4 a.m. on weekends with a variety of interesting slices for $2.)I like the potato and onion ring pizza.

6.) La Pizza House, S.E. 14th, in Des Moines, as much for their onion rings as their pizza.
couple_seeking_food
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/17 20:45:39
I spent 12 years in New Haven from 1977 to 1989 and found what others have said, there are many terrific pizzas there. My all time favorites are #1 Sally's White Clam and #2 Pepe's White Clam. Moderna Appiza is much quicker to get into and the pies are excellent, but if you have to choose one, crank up your patience, wait the line, and eat at Sally's.
LaPoint
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/18 23:22:57
The Best in Platsburgh N.Y area in my humble opinion were and hopefully still are. Zachery's #1, Arnie's#2 and the Monople #3. Three very different styles but all were great. There was also a Dominos on U.S. Ave in the late seventies through early 80's that was not part of the chain. They used to deliever the Pizza in little red, white, and Blue toyota pick up trucks that had gas ovens in the back that keep the pizza warm. They made a great pie also.

Randy1887
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/19 14:47:40
All different, all great:
Thin Crust
1. Louie's, Waukegan, IL
2. Pagliai's, Grinnell, IA
3. Quonset Hut, Waukegan, IL
4. Little Villa, DeKalb, IL
5. Zeno's, Marshalltown, IA
6. Mama Del Grado's, Marshalltown, IA
7. Pizzaria Uno, Chicago

RiteTouchPOS
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/02/27 12:15:22
maybe 1 am just biased but del vecchios in Weston fl has one of the best Sicilian pizza i have ever eaten, if you guys would like to prove me wrong feel free to send me a box.

Jason
Milkman
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/03/12 08:52:40
Like mentioned earlier in this post, it depends where you live. I grew up in NJ and moved to Iowa 18 years ago. In NJ there was a little hole in wall of a place called Kate & Al's. They were open only 4 days a week and sold more pies than most places would sell in 7 days. They would press the dough out, place it in pans (rectangular) and top it with cheese. The dough would proof like that until ready for the oven. They would top it with sauce right before going into the oven. When ever I would go home for a visit I would pick up a pie before seeing my parents, my sister does the same. Now for Iowa, in my opinion there is no good pizza in Iowa. A place mentioned two replies back was Zeno,s in M'town. I hated it, but the locals rave about it. It just depends on what you were raised on.
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/03/12 09:33:54
"but if you have to choose one, crank up your patience, wait the line, and eat at Sally's."

For me, it wouldn't just be patience. I think I'd need an anger management session (or 2) to ever deal with THAT again. Last time will be my LAST TIME....seated and order taken and sodas delvered immediately, pizza (with no possibility of ordering more sodas) approx. 1 hour and 20 minutes later, and then a check thrown at us slightly over an hour after we were done eating. On the bright side, I no longer feel like I'm missing out by not going there, as I can honestly say that, IMHO, Modern is much better, and not just because of the service (which is GREAT). They really do have a great pie.

The Bru Room at BAR on Crown ST. is also pretty incredible. The service stinks, but the pizza, hand crafted beers, and salad are to die for.
roadfooder
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/03/12 23:17:47
Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza in Fort Lauderdale. The heat from the coal oven gives the crust a great charred flavor.
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/03/13 12:28:26
My wife and in-laws preferred Alex & Aldo's pizza (31st St., LaGrange Park, IL). They make a nice thin crust pizza but we haven't eaten there for years; hopefully it hasn't changed.
quote:
Originally posted by Milkman
Now for Iowa, in my opinion there is no good pizza in Iowa.
You don't mention your specific Iowa location, but if you haven't tried the Alfredo pizza at Felix & Oscar's in Des Moines (Merle Hay Mall) give it a shot. Very different (Alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce) but I find it good and quite filling.

Brad
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/03/13 13:28:20
I agree the best pizza (apizza) is probably your A. 1st one and B. where you were raised. In Southern CT it's all about the NH style, years ago there was a place called Bachamiello's (not sure on spelling) he was from Wooster street and used be called the "Clam Man of Wooster street" he had a little place in my town of East Haven that to me at the time was the best pizza (Apizza)around now he's long gone but alot of the places in the area are good. For you folks that travel far and wide for Pepe's, Sally's, Modern you must have a Foxon Park White Birch soda with your pie.
llg
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/03/13 15:49:49
Definitely Foxen park white Birch is essential......w/ "abeetz!!
SgtHulka
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/03/13 16:50:11
Rendinos in Akron \ Portage Lakes, OH. Bam. The owner has been in business for 20 or 25 years, same location. She's in this little plaza. All to go pizza and on the weekend people are in line out the door. Pizza takes a little time 30 - 40 minutes but well worth the wait.

The pepperoni is cut thick and gets crunchy on the edges and real crumbled italian sausage. The best.
SuperDave70
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/03/29 04:31:44
Pizzaria Bianco, Phx AZ
Grimaldi's, NY
db1105
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/03/30 22:11:21
Grottos pizza on the boardwalk in Rehobeth Beach Delaware. For some reason it's not as good in the inland locations.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/04/03 12:56:37
West Coast: Sonny's, San Clemente, CA. Owned by Sonny Genovese, so you better like it.
East Coast: Totonno's, the one at Coney Island on Neptune

lunasatic
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/04/04 14:18:23
Vito's in Levvittown, PA (also had the best Philly Cheesesteaks & homemade cheesecake).
llg
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/04/04 14:22:58
so the question still remains, is there any good Pizza to be eaten in the Piedmont Triad of NC??? Have not found it yet, but still looking. Any thoughts
stridge
Hamburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/04/11 13:08:38
I have to say out here in Danville IL my favorite is the "gormet" Itialian Pizza at a rustic shack named " Mr Mustard's" out west on US 150 . The crust is hand tossed (not always round) garlic sauce, fresh toppings. and if Mr Mustard is in you can request this Chicago Irish tennor for a song . It doesn't take much to get him going. They also serve real Chicago dogs, pasta pie pluse a lot of mouth watering treats. They also serve the best local ice cream,Wright's from Cayuga Indiana.
Rick F.
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/04/11 13:38:11
quote:
Originally posted by exsquidao

I agree the best pizza (apizza) is probably your A. 1st one and B. where you were raised.
Bearing in mind that I'm feeling deprived, never having had a shot at the great ones I read about on RF:

I remember at least the first pizza place where I ate, though only the city and era (Albuquerque, early fifties). My parents always got a large hand-tossed with everything, and I loved it: would have left-overs the next day for breakfast, which drove the food police at my elementary school nuts!

My favorite, I think, was the kind I made at a chain where I was employed, and could make it exactly the way I wanted. House-made Italian sausage, fresh onions, and mozzarella, easy on the (house-made) sauce, and cooked really crispy. Not sophisticated, and the crust (from the home office) was nothing to write home about, but I loved it and can't find anybody to make one the same way for me.
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/04/11 13:39:16
The two best round pies I've eaten were both at Pepe's in New Haven. (A sausage and then years later a clam pie).

The best square pizzas have all come from my hometown area. Ghigiarelli's in Old Forge, PA (crispy crust with perfect blend of tomato and onion), the now defunct Gabello's in Duryea (similar but with a seasoned kick) and the aforementioned Pizza Perfect (oily with cheese and onion) in Trucksville.

While I'm on subject here, let me state that a friend and I visited New Haven about a month ago and were both thoroughly disappointed with the Clam Pie at Pepe's. The pie was overcooked and the clams were dry. I know they say they only use fresh clams, but I'm thinking these could've been canned. Maybe since they are NOW open all day, they are cutting corners? Sure hope not.
duck1
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/04/16 12:54:00
Bobes Pizza in Vincennes Indiana
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/07/05 17:20:16
quote:
Originally posted by db1105

Grottos pizza on the boardwalk in Rehobeth Beach Delaware. For some reason it's not as good in the inland locations.

I always looked forward to Grotto's on our many trips to Rehoboth/Dewey. It's like what one can get in Manhattan and that's a compliment!
jvsmom
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/07/05 17:28:36
I don't know what the absolute best is, but definitely at the top of the list:

Colony Grill in CT;
Modern Apizza in New Haven

Mike's "Special" - Mike's Restaurant, Fairhaven, MA

The one we ordered our first night in San Francisco in July of 1991 - no idea of the name of the restaurant - we found it in the yellow pages and they delivered to our hotel - but boy, it was good.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/07/05 17:31:08
Best pizza I ever had was Art's Pizza in Beaver Falls, PA.

As I enjoyed this treat in the Winter of 1968, I checked Google before writing this and, yes, they are still in business; for a "Mom & Pop" (especially one in a "depressed area") that fact lends credence to my fond food memory.

I've travelled the world since, yet Art's is still a vivid memory.
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/07/09 19:30:46
quote:
Originally posted by Joisey

Jules--Jersey city NJ. Not thick, not thin. Crispy & sauce to die for!

I remember Jules! It was on West Side Ave.
I havent eaten there in about 25 years!!

Going down the other end of West side was another Italian place at the bottom of Woodlawn Ave, called Frango's which was later changed to the Family Tree Restaurant.
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/07/09 19:35:59
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Polish guy

Most of you may be to young to remember real Pizza. Back in the later part of the 1940, Gary, Indiana, the first place to make Pizza in the United States, per Collier's Mag. was FLAMINGO'S, on West 5th. Ave. near Adams St. This was PIZZA, none like it since.

Do you, anyone, remember this?

You're joking, right? Lombardi's opened the first pizzeria the United States in 1905 in New York. Frank Pepe opened his pizzeria in New Haven in 1925.

I'm a Lombardi and proud to say that Genarro Lombardi brought Naples Style pizza to America in 1904.
phillytim
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/07/13 10:47:37
The ORIGINAL ITALIAN PIZZA, there in Avis, Pennsylvania, really makes the best pizza I've had...and I've had a LOT of pizza in my life!

They're a cute little shop that's been there since the 60s or 70s. They do pizza right!

Great, deep sauce; loads of cheese; spicy pepperoni; fresh, daily home made dough. Baked to perfection in a flavorful oven.

The guy is totally italian, a rarity for my neck of the woods there in northeaster PA!
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/07/13 20:10:28
These are what I came up

Rank
NAME LOCATION RECOMMENDATION
1 *Lombardi's NY Any
2 *John’s NY Any
3 Penndel Pizza Penndel, PA Any
4 Rustic Pizza Northern Liberties, PA Specialty
5 Ray Famous Manhattan, NY Loaded Meat
6 Papas Chambersburg, NJ Any
7 Marras South Philadelphia, PA Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
8 Nina's II Trevose, PA Any
9 Nicolosi’s Phillipsburg, NJ Double Cheese Pepperoni
10 Schiano’s Warminster, PA Any
11 Celebres South Philadelphia, PA Old Style Pizza
12 Soho Old City, PA Any
13 *Taconelli’s Philadelphia, PA White
14 Yalda Grill Kabob Horsham, PA Buffalo Wing, Sloppy Joe
15 Grand Stand Pizza Franklin Park, IL XL Pan Pizza DBl chse /
Buffalo Pie
16 Macks Wildwood, NJ Any
17 Grimaldi's Brooklyn, NY Plain
18 Mr. D's Wildwood, NJ Plain
19 DeLorenzo’s Chambersburg, NJ Tomato Pie
20 *Di Fara’s Brooklyn, NY Double Cheese

These would be my top 20. I have plenty more but these are the best ones I have eaten.

Tony

PamF
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/07/14 12:22:53
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

My wife and in-laws preferred Alex & Aldo's pizza (31st St., LaGrange Park, IL). They make a nice thin crust pizza but we haven't eaten there for years; hopefully it hasn't changed.

Alex & Aldo's still there and still serving wonderful thin crust pizzas. Restaurant changed owners about 5 or 6 years ago but kept original pizza recipe.
wickedgoodhotdogs
Junior Burger
RE: The Best Pizza You Ever Ate! 2007/07/15 16:51:15
SAL'S JUST PIZZA

WICKED GOOD!!!!!!
SUNAPEE, NH
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial