Great Steakhouses

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 2 of 7, messages 61 to 120 of 364
EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Great Steakhouses - Fri, 08/29/03 4:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BonneyStudios

Just thought of another great steakhouse, in the most traditional manner. It's the Smokehouse in Toluca Lake, CA across the street from the Burbank Studios. The steaks are thick, juicy and rare. The Garlic Bread is worth a trip by itself and has been praised by both Johnny Carson and Jay Leno. The Sunday brunch a is fantastic spread. If you're ever in this area, treat yourself to dinner or brunch here.

I just saw the cool sign last weekend and decided I had to try it next time I'm going out to dinner. Looks great!

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: Great Steakhouses - Fri, 08/29/03 6:16 AM
In Decatur, Indiana, there is (or was) a wonderful steakhouse called My Father's Place. Besides the great beef, they also mix an excellent Bloody Mary.

rbpalmer
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 09/10/03 4:49 PM
Twice a year, a friend and I venture out to a local, top notch Washington, D.C. area steakhouse for some prime beef at lunch. We limit ourselves to two times a year in deference to our arteries and to our wallets (since these indulgences set us back about $50 per person per meal). My favorite dining experiences during these excursions have been (in no particular order) (i) having the New York Strip at The Palm; (ii) having the porterhouse at Morton's of Chicago; and (iii) having a bone-in ribeye at Ruth's Chris Steak House. In addition to cost, these places have had several things in common: (i) absolutely first rate, USDA top prime steaks cooked exactly as ordered; (ii) excellent sides, such as creamed spinach, hash browned and baked potatoes, asparagus and fresh-baked rolls; and (iii) portions of both meat and sides sufficient to feed a small family. Top steak houses aren't cheap, but in my experience, you more than get what you pay for. My favorite bargain steak house is Hoss' Steak and Seafood Restaurant, a small chain of establishments located mostly in Pennsylvania, with one restaurant in Martinsburg, West Virginia (the one that I go to).Although the meat (USDA Choice)isn't quite of the quality served at the expensive staek houses, it's always been tender and well-prepared. Also you can get a 28 ounce porterhouse steak there for about $19 (the last time I checked) as opposed to $30 to $35 for a similar cut at Morton's.

fummunda
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Great Steakhouses - Fri, 09/12/03 11:54 PM
Here's another vote solidly in favor of the Golden Ox in my adoptive hometown of Kansas City. It's got urban cowboy ambience, but it's GENUINE and predates that whole megilla by decades. Totally no-nonsense great steak, and even though the stockyards are gone the area still has vestiges of it's halcyon cowtown days.

On the other end of things, this may be controversial, but I have a nostalgic fondness for Frank Giuffrida's Hilltop Steakhouse in Saugus, Mass. It's not the best steakhouse that's ever come down the pike (the Newburyport Turnpike to be precise), but everything about it is B I G, from the squat 1960's style plastic cattle grazing on the strip of lawn out front to the gargantuan Las Vegas-style neon cactus sign, Hilltop just screams "EAT HERE". The place has a huge capacity, not sure of exact number but I bet 2000-2500 hungry carnivores can be seated at one time. So while it may not rank with Peter Luger's, Bern's or the Golden Ox, Hilltop makes my list.

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 09/17/03 10:45 PM
LUGER'S UPDATE!

Just got back from eating at Peter Luger's, which I hadn't done for several months. As always, I enjoyed it tremendously.

The meal progressed as follows (bear in mind there were five of us):

First of all, we never, ever ask for or order from a menu. That's definitely a sign that you're a Luger's virgin

We started off with some shrimp, as well as tomatos and onions. I don't know how they always manage to serve such large and juicy tomatoes regardless of the time of year.

We ordered steak for three and lamb for three as main courses. The steak is a porterhouse that comes sliced on a large platter, the edge of which is rested on an inverted coffee-cup saucer. This allows the juices to flow to the opposite side, making it easier for the waiter to spoon it up and serve it with your meat (the waiters fill your plate for your first course.) I prefer my meat a little better done than the rest of the guys, so I let my pieces cook for several additional seconds on the edge of the sizzling-hot platter. Tender and delicious, as always.

I'm not much of a lamb eater, so I left that to the others. They enjoyed it, although all preferred the steak (our one friend who always prefers the lamb wasn't able to join us tonight.)

For sides, we had creamed spinach, hash brown potatoes and, for our first time after perhaps 25 trips to Luger's, Canadian Bacon (at my request). All were great complements to our meal, although the bacon's a bit salty for my taste. It's appropriately salty -- just more so than I prefer.

The desserts are great, but the real reason we order them is to get to the "schlag" -- i.e., the whipped cream. As "transport food" for that whipped cream, we ordered one slice each of cheesecake, apple pie and pecan pie. The pecan pie, which isn't my favorite thing, is fantastic. The cheesecake is very good. The apple pie doesn't really do it for me, but it's certainly not bad. My one friend doesn't like apple pie, but loves theirs. So, as with anything, it's all a matter of taste. We pocketed the complimentary chocolate-gold coins at the end of our meal, and headed home.

I hope this brought the Luger's experience slightly to life, even though I didn't take time to note the environment (essentially unchanged from 1887, it would seem), or the waiter (remarkably pleasant and accommodating for a Luger's waiter.) On a final note, I was the one in the group to recognize the famous diner at the next table: Brian Setzer of the Brian Setzer Orchestra (formerly of the Stray Cats). Maybe he'll write in next....

spadoman
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 09/25/03 3:27 PM
Heitmiller's Steak House. On I-35 either a little North or South of Austin Texas, (Texans, help me out here, it's been a while since i been down there) Great steaks, no frills, step up and order, get a great meal!

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 09/25/03 5:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by spadoman

Heitmiller's Steak House. On I-35 either a little North or South of Austin Texas, (Texans, help me out here, it's been a while since i been down there) Great steaks, no frills, step up and order, get a great meal!

spadoman, that's near Waco (which would be north of Austin, of course). I've driven by that place a million times, but it never grabbed me. Since you recommend it, I'll make a point to stop there.

spadoman
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 09/25/03 5:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by spadoman

spadoman, that's near Waco (which would be north of Austin, of course). I've driven by that place a million times, but it never grabbed me. Since you recommend it, I'll make a point to stop there.

Bushie---I was on my way to Pharr some years ago and it was dinnertime. My pardner and me saw these steak joints all along the frontage road here and there. We pulled in cause we saw all the pickup trucks and we weren't dressed in our midwest finery. Up North here in Minnesota, steak houses are fancy places! Anyway, we went in and ordered up sirloins to our desired poundage and went and sat down. I just remember getting a great straightforward steak dinner while not having to dress up and be fancy!

rbpalmer
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 10/4/03 2:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

My list includes: Peter Luger in Brooklyn, Sparks in Manhattan, The Saloon in Philly, and The Prime Rib and Capitol Grill in Washington, D.C.

I just ate at the Prime Rib in Washington, DC on Wednesday. It was great. I had the bone-in ribeye steak, which was superb (and huge!), sauteed spinach, warm, house-baked bread and house-made apple pie-a-la-mode. I also want to eat at Peter Luger's, and have actually seriously considered driving up to New York from DC just to do so. What I will probably do at some point, however, is to drop our kids off at my parents' house and go to NYC for a weekend with my wife. We'll take in a Broadway show, and afterwards, I'll tell her "Hey honey, there's this restaurant I've heard of . . ."

Spudnut
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 10/4/03 4:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

My list includes: Peter Luger in Brooklyn, Sparks in Manhattan, The Saloon in Philly, and The Prime Rib and Capitol Grill in Washington, D.C.

I just ate at the Prime Rib in Washington, DC on Wednesday. It was great. I had the bone-in ribeye steak, which was superb (and huge!), sauteed spinach, warm, house-baked bread and house-made apple pie-a-la-mode. I also want to eat at Peter Luger's, and have actually seriously considered driving up to New York just to do so. What I will probably do at some point, however, is to drop our kids off at my parents' house and go to NYC for a weekend with my wife. We'll take in a Broadway show, and afterwards, I'll tell her "Hey honey, there's this restaurant I've heard of . . ."

Surprising your wife with a meal at Luger's is great, but do yourself a favor and don't make it truly spontaneous: make a reservation a month or so in advance....or go for lunch.

IndyRoadfoodFan
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 10/4/03 5:23 PM
One of my all time favorite places here in Indy, is St. Elmo's Steakhouse. They have been in business since 1902. They have fantastic prime steaks. They are just as famous for there giant shrimp cocktail, the cocktail sauce will bring tears to your eyes, I guarantee. Check out there website... http://www.stelmos.com
I ate years ago at the original Hereford House in Kansas City, on my way back from Texas, it is a very fine steakhouse too... check there website... http://www.herefordhouse.com

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13402
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 10/4/03 6:54 PM
I have been to the Hereford House many times and one of the things that I enjoyed was the kitchen in the entrance. You could watch the steaks being cooked and I enjoyed the salad there also.

St. Elmo's in Indy was too crowded and the tables were way to close. There was no privacy. Their steaks were OK, but the ambience sucked.

Hereford House was huge and did the job for the Sundancer

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Billfish
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 10/5/03 3:39 AM
The Prime Rib in Baltimore is owned by the same folks that own the Prime Rib in DC and Philly.I cannot go there often,usually I go there around Christmastime as a gift to my wife and myself,as a full blown meal for 2 with drinks and tip will approach 2 bills.Sometimes I have been lucky enough to get a gift certificate.In my small world,its the best restaurant there is.The waiters are just so good,the steaks and prime rib are perfect,the ambiance (leopard skin carpet,transparent piano!) so ostentatious and proud of it.If I could afford it I would make it "my hangout".But since I am not Bill Gates I will enjoy it when I can.
Now i have only been to the Ruth's Chris one time,and was disappointed.It was the one in Pikesville (maybe Reisterstown,not real sure about that area) and despite the lovely room,the NY strip steak was gristly and oddly cut,the service was slapdash,the way a lot of cheap restaurants are nowadays where whatever waiter is available brings your food,yes i know thats so it gets there faster but its still a cheapo way of doing it and good waiters can do it correctly.The waiters seemed to have an attitude like they didnt think i would tip them right,just a gut feeling.They didnt recite the specials and didnt offer dessert and just generally acted like I was an intrusion.Theres no need for that when you are paying 40 dollars for a steak.
When you find a top notch steak house,treasure it.The smile it will put on your face will linger long.You will go back.They know it.They dont have to advertise.They are always fully booked with folks who walk in smiling and walk out the same way.Hell yes it costs way too much.But its worth it.
Bill
Georgetown,Delaware

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 10/20/03 9:02 AM
One place that somehow has escaped mention is Bobby Van's (www.bobbyvans.com) both in New York and in Washington, D.C. All four locations specialized in aged beef (a la Peter Luger's). I've been to the D.C. locale numerous times and it is superb.

Stewdude
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 10/23/03 8:25 PM
Peter Luger's is unquestioanbly awesome, however, Uncle Jacks in Bayside Queens with a location under construction on the West side of Manhattan edges it out. Fabulous steaks and crab cakes.

ericm
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 10/29/03 1:41 AM
The Precinct. Cincinnati, OH.

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4486
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 10/29/03 6:45 PM
I kinda figured all of Ruby's restaurants more or less had the same quality of steak.....but I guess the Precinct is the oldest in operation of the set, right?

I did eat there once about 15 years ago and wasn't too impressed with the steak, particularly for the price....

Jennie
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 10/29/03 9:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

LUGER'S UPDATE!

<snip>

I hope this brought the Luger's experience slightly to life, even though I didn't take time to note the environment (essentially unchanged from 1887, it would seem), or the waiter (remarkably pleasant and accommodating for a Luger's waiter.)

My father is a "member". They have cards they issue. I'm not sure what that gets you, but whatever. Whenever my dad gets up to New York (he grew up in northern NJ and his family's from Brooklyn originally) he goes to Peter Luger's. I've yet to make it. We were supposed to go to New York two years ago, but our trip was cancelled. We had reservations at Windows on the World and a nearby hotel for the weekend of September 22nd. Dad was in Windows on the World to make the reservations on Sunday September 9th. For weeks he dreamed about the staff he remembered. We'd probably have made it to the steakhouse during the trip, but it's been postponed. . .

In any event, the number on Dad's card is so low the staff go bug-eyed when he brings it out. Dad always gets a table.

Spudnut
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 10/29/03 10:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jennie

quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

LUGER'S UPDATE!

<snip>

I hope this brought the Luger's experience slightly to life, even though I didn't take time to note the environment (essentially unchanged from 1887, it would seem), or the waiter (remarkably pleasant and accommodating for a Luger's waiter.)

My father is a "member". They have cards they issue. I'm not sure what that gets you, but whatever. Whenever my dad gets up to New York (he grew up in northern NJ and his family's from Brooklyn originally) he goes to Peter Luger's. I've yet to make it. We were supposed to go to New York two years ago, but our trip was cancelled. We had reservations at Windows on the World and a nearby hotel for the weekend of September 22nd. Dad was in Windows on the World to make the reservations on Sunday September 9th. For weeks he dreamed about the staff he remembered. We'd probably have made it to the steakhouse during the trip, but it's been postponed. . .

In any event, the number on Dad's card is so low the staff go bug-eyed when he brings it out. Dad always gets a table.

Pretty impressive. A Luger's card allows you to charge your meal; otherwise, it's strictly a cash transaction. I was there once again after my Luger's post, for lunch, and again the waiter was really nice. Not sure what kind of monkey business is going on there...

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 10/29/03 10:30 PM
Dearfolk,
Y'all have done made me miss the old funky Pilgreen's Steak House on Lee Street in Atlanta so much it ain't funny.
Next time thereby, I'll see what's transpiring with the location. Maybe there'll be a barbecue place or something decent to go in there... who knows.
Unhungrily (In Spite Of Reading Post After Post On This Thread - Proving That I'm Psyched Up To Lose My 35 Pounds!), Slowly Shrinking Ort. Carlton in Ever-Expanding Athens, Georgia.

ericm
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 10/30/03 12:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I kinda figured all of Ruby's restaurants more or less had the same quality of steak.....but I guess the Precinct is the oldest in operation of the set, right?

I did eat there once about 15 years ago and wasn't too impressed with the steak, particularly for the price....

They went through a bad period, no doubt about it and you sound like you were at the front end of it. If you have a reason, I'd give them a try again for that "special occasion."

I think the Precinct is much better than any of his other places. I haven't made it to Tropicana yet, but I've eaten at all the others and The Precinct remains my favorite. One word of warning, "market price" on seafood, especially something like King Crab legs, can lead to quite a shock once the bill arrives unless you are quick with numbers.

marberthenad
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 11/20/03 8:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mek

chezkatie,
Next time you are in the Prime Rib, say hello to my brother (John). He has rtended bar there for years. He also buys their wines and booze.

Just ate there last week. Had a great bottle of wine, which was recommended by the bartender -- please pass along my compliments. Had the prime rib steak, which was good, but I wasn't feeling too well that night ....

marberthenad
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 11/20/03 9:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Stewdude

Peter Luger's is unquestioanbly awesome, however, Uncle Jacks in Bayside Queens with a location under construction on the West side of Manhattan edges it out. Fabulous steaks and crab cakes.

what makes it better? quality? price? atmosphere? i too have been considering a road trip to NY from DC to go to PL ....

Stewdude
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 11/24/03 10:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

quote:
Originally posted by Stewdude

what makes it better? quality? price? atmosphere? i too have been considering a road trip to NY from DC to go to PL ....

Uncle Jacks is smaller, homier and definitely friendlier (but of course, the surly Brooklyn waiter is part of the Luger attraction). No bargain on meat prices here..the prices are the same as at the major steakhouses. The meat is well aged and marinated and the UNcle Jacks marinade (bourbon based) is a winner. There is more of a variety of cuts at Uncle Jacks but of course there is something about the Luger menu..steak for one, steak for two, steak for three, which is oh so elegant in its simplicity!

spweimerskirch
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 01/24/04 5:53 PM
Steak Lover's,
Having been in the business and a huge consumer here are a few different selections off the beaten path if you're in the 'hood give them a try.

Choices:
1. Luger's ( We all know it's awesome),
2. Chicago Chophouse (Timeless),
3. Bern's, Tampa (I Love it),
4. Gibson's, The downtown location only in Chicago),
5. Pine Club, Dayton, Ohio (Trust me),
6. The Forge, Miami (Great service),
7. Morton's, The original location State St. Chicago (Ask for Raki),
8. 9, Chicago ( The Ghost Bar upstairs is the reason and the crab/steak combo is awesome),

Could go on and on but I think these places are all timeless.

Thanks,
S

olphart
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 01/24/04 10:02 PM
I rarely go out for steak. I’d just as soon cook my own, thanks.
But I did like Taste of Texas quite a bit. It’s on the west side of Houston on I-10 near the Sam Houston Tollway.

olphart
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 01/25/04 9:35 PM
When I go eat steak, I go to eat steak and not a lot of fixin’s. Charm has no taste to me.
But then, a good salad or baked potato is not hard to do at home, either.

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 01/25/04 10:52 PM
I've really enjoyed this forum and have taken quite a few notes. It was a surprise to realize that I rarely hit steak houses anymore, and I love great steak. Well, I'm going to remedy that this year.

I join those who think highly of Angus Barn in Raleigh, N.C. It's a genuine pleasure to eat there.

dszewczak
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 02/1/04 9:19 AM
If you are ever in the Chicago area you should try Bob Chinn's. They have a 14oz filet that is awesome. The cocktail shrimp are HUGE and come with a very nice mild to hot cocktail sauce. The shrimp are served with sliced cantaloupe and the instructions to take a bite of shrimp and then a bite of the cantaloupe. It doesn't sound that good but it really is. The place seats a ton of people. You can see more of the menu at bobchinns.com. I've only been to the Chicago area five times and I've made it there every time. Never disappointed.

Tristan Indiana
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 02/8/04 10:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRoadfoodFan

One of my all time favorite places here in Indy, is St. Elmo's Steakhouse. They have been in business since 1902. They have fantastic prime steaks. They are just as famous for there giant shrimp cocktail, the cocktail sauce will bring tears to your eyes, I guarantee. Check out there website... http://www.stelmos.com
I ate years ago at the original Hereford House in Kansas City, on my way back from Texas, it is a very fine steakhouse too... check there website... http://www.herefordhouse.com

I agree. St Elmo's cocktail sauce will definitely bring a grown man to his knees. I lived in LA back in the 80s and use to go to a steakhouse called the Pepper Mill in Pasadena which I loved. Their peppercorn encrusted steak is my all time favorite steak dinner. I wonder if they are still around?

WingLover
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 02/22/04 12:04 AM

If anyone is ever passing through Delaware and you want some *good* steak/prime rib, I suggest going to Walter's Steak House. Their meat is absolutely amazing, and they serve extremely large poritions, so be careful what you order! When my family went there last, I ordered the "Queen Rib", my dad ordered the "Prime Rib", and my uncle ordered the "Adam's Rib", the largest cut. The rest of my family ordered Queen Ribs as well, or other entrees. When our food came out, my Queen Rib looked huge to *me*, and when the next piece of meat came out, my uncle mistook it for his, because it was *so* big, but the waiter was like, "No, this is the regular prime rib cut..."
When my uncle's Adam's Rib came out ... we stared in amazement at the *size* of this piece of meat. We joked for the rest of the evening that my uncle was eating an entire cow. It was absolutely fantastic :)

So if you get the chance, go to Walter's! You will love it, the food is excellent.

http://www.hoperothrock.com/walters/

Rex Allen
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 02/22/04 1:32 AM
Ah, great steaks. Believe it or not there is a great Steak House in the Circus Circus Casino in Las Vegas. Fabulous meat! Harris's on Van Ness Ave in San Francisco is great also, they have a large ranch in the San Joaquin Valley and Butcher and sell their own meat. We have a very good steak house here in San Diego, Called the "Red Fox", on El Cajon Boulevard.

Burp!
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 02/25/04 12:06 AM
Could I simply ask for some clarifications?

I would appreciate if people could give an idea of how much these places cost, and the atmosphere. To expound on the latter, I prefer a sawdust-on-the-floor type place than the suit/tie type places.

Thanks?

RoyHarv
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 02/25/04 6:51 AM
In NYC, Gallagher's Steak House.
In Ithaca, NY, John Thomas Steakhouse.

tonemonster2
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 02/25/04 8:26 AM
I have eaten in all the big name steak joints in NYC and was FLOORED by the steak at Bobby Vans. I had been there years ago and was not impressed, but recently went for a buisness meal. Now I would never pay $39 for a steak, but the rib-eye was amazing !

Spudnut
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 02/25/04 9:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tonemonster2

I have eaten in all the big name steak joints in NYC and was FLOORED by the steak at Bobby Vans. I had been there years ago and was not impressed, but recently went for a buisness meal. Now I would never pay $39 for a steak, but the rib-eye was amazing !

That's interesting. My friends and I go out for steak about six time a year, and ate at Bobby Van's once -- three years ago, just like you. We considered it in the middle of the pack, and never bothered returning. But, perhaps we should.

I assume you went to the BV near Grand Central Station. A new one just opened, in the East 50s of Manhattan. Haven't heard anything about it yet.

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 02/25/04 10:03 AM
Most of the ones I like the best have already been mentioned here (Hereford House, Ruth's Chris, St. Elmos), so I'll mention a couple that haven't made it on here yet. If you ever find yourself in Bloomington, IN check out Janko's Little Zagreb on 6th St. It's definitely not fancy and there aren't a lot of choices in sides or appetizers. In fact, if I remember correctly, one of the few appetizer choices is cheese and crackers. On the other hand, this is not an a la carte place. One price gets you a steak, potato and salad. The steaks are wonderful. The sirloin for two is huge and I've never even come close to finishing it, no matter who the other person was. I've also tried the strip and the t-bone there and I've never been disappointed. Definitely get the sauteed mushrooms to share around the table as well.

On the other end of the fancy scale is where I went for Valentine's Day. We were in Chicago and went to Keefer's on W. Kinzie St. It's only been there a year or two but I have a feeling it will be there a while. It was excellent and a cool atmosphere with floor to ceiling windows. I had the ribeye and they gave you a choice of light or heavy marbling. Being a special occasion I went for the heavy and the flavor was superb. We all got a different side as they had about five kinds of potatoes. The highlight was the potato croquettes with a fontina cheese sauce. I would definitely go back which is high praise given all the other steak choices in Chicago.

tonemonster2
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 02/26/04 2:07 PM
quote:
That's interesting. My friends and I go out for steak about six time a year, and ate at Bobby Van's once -- three years ago, just like you. We considered it in the middle of the pack, and never bothered returning. But, perhaps we should.

I assume you went to the BV near Grand Central Station. A new one just opened, in the East 50s of Manhattan. Haven't heard anything about it yet.

Yes, Phil I was very suprised , although my companions all said it was a great place. Have not been uptown yet. Any one been tothe Peter Lugers in Great Neck ? I hear it's not as good as the one in Brooklyn. Also, the former maitre d' from Lugers' just opened his own place on Park and 34th in what used to be Col. Vanderbilts' private railroad station.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6256
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 02/26/04 2:32 PM
Minerva's in Sioux City, Iowa serves up a mean rib eye. Excellent!

RedPatti
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 02/26/04 5:51 PM
Rex Allen, try The Butcher Shop in National City, really good.

RedPatti
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 02/26/04 6:05 PM
The Porterhouse Bistro in Beverly Hills, CA, very nice prime beef with all the usual ala carte sides, very very good for the neighborhood and is just around the corner from Lawry's Prime Rib on La Cienege which is FANTASTIC.

Whole Foods market has a dry aged prime beef case with several different cuts. I have found them to be the ultimate for cook-at-home when you like it RARE. Just a little freshly chopped garlic rubbed over it in a white hot cast iron skillet heated on the Cajun Cooker to be the way to go. Really wonderful when you want to eat in your p'jamas.

KelseyDelsey
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 03/2/04 2:42 PM
I grew up near Omaha where Johnny's was the Gold Standard for steak houses. I've been back a few times in the last five years and was enormously disappointed. Don't know if it was that it didn't live up to my expectations or it's gone downhill.

I agree on Embers in Des Moines, Gene & Georgetti's in Chi, and Golden Ox in K.C.--all are great.

I live near downtown L.A., now a steak mecca thanks to Staples Center and all the dining sports fans. My favorites are Pacific Dining Car (none better, and they have a great wine guy) and Taylor's--much cheaper, in Koreatown, and a great steak for the money as well as great old-time, "red leather seats, horse prints on the wall" atmosphere. I also like the Figueroa branch of the Palms.

sauceman
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 03/4/04 12:29 PM
Good discussion of Peter Luger's, as well as Bern's in Tampa, Florida, in Jeffrey Steingarten's latest book, It Must've Been Something I Ate.

Fred Sauceman

cindycat
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 03/16/04 11:37 PM

Originally posted by mbalmer

Here's my top five. I thought I'd include a little more information than normal for people (like me) who budget their cash.

5. Indian Hills Steaks in Norman, OK ($$). Prime rib is far above average for a very average price. Fries are seasoned and crispy, which merits an above average score in my book any day.

------------
Hey, I agree but you forgot to mention the Indian fry bread, those wonderful delicious gut bombs!!

Spudnut
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 03/17/04 12:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by cindycat

Originally posted by mbalmer

Here's my top five. I thought I'd include a little more information than normal for people (like me) who budget their cash.

5. Indian Hills Steaks in Norman, OK ($$). Prime rib is far above average for a very average price. Fries are seasoned and crispy, which merits an above average score in my book any day.

------------
Hey, I agree but you forgot to mention the Indian fry bread, those wonderful delicious gut bombs!!

Gut bombs? Sounds, um, yummy....

marberthenad
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 03/17/04 6:24 AM
Anyone ever try Ray's The Steaks in Virginia? I've tried to go a couple of times, but they are always booked. (I guess there's the answer ...)

hawkeyejohn
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 03/17/04 10:26 AM
Ate at St. Elmo's while in Indy for the Big 10 BB tourney. Excellent except if you are going to serve me a ribeye, give me the bone.

Bill B.
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 03/17/04 10:42 AM
Several people have mentioned the Golden Ox in Kansas City. That long-lived institution actually went out of business a few months ago. Fortunately, someone negotiated a deal with the owner and reopened the place a couple weeks later. I have no idea how much, if at all, the restaurant has changed under its new management.

If you're in Arkansas, a steak at Doe's is definitely worth a try. I've eaten at the Doe's in Fayetteville, and the food there is excellent. They sell steak by the pound, not by the ounce, and the MINIMUM weight on a sirloin was three pounds. That's what I had, and it was flavorful, melt-in-your-mouth steak of the old school. A real treat.

10X10
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 03/17/04 11:53 AM
If you are ever in Toronto, try a little place called Black and Blue. The interesting twist on this place is that not only does it serve a great steak, but it shares a communal dining area and kitchen with a very good italian Restaurant.

saps
  • Total Posts : 1553
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 03/17/04 11:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by berndog

I have to second Hillbillys number 6 choice, the Chicago Chop House. I ate there about 8 years ago while in Chicago for several days on business. Food was excellent, decor was very interesting. There was also a great Italian restaurant a few blocks away on the same street the Chop House is just off of. I can't remember the name, but the entrance was inside a corner bakery.

Next time you go to Chicago, avoid the Chop House. Unfortunately, it's not what it once was. I've been there twice over the past year, with customers. I had a filet so full of gristle there that I couldn't chew through it. I've heard similar complaints from others. It's too bad.

Furgs
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 04/3/04 1:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bill B.

Several people have mentioned the Golden Ox in Kansas City. That long-lived institution actually went out of business a few months ago. Fortunately, someone negotiated a deal with the owner and reopened the place a couple weeks later. I have no idea how much, if at all, the restaurant has changed under its new management.

If you're in Arkansas, a steak at Doe's is definitely worth a try. I've eaten at the Doe's in Fayetteville, and the food there is excellent. They sell steak by the pound, not by the ounce, and the MINIMUM weight on a sirloin was three pounds. That's what I had, and it was flavorful, melt-in-your-mouth steak of the old school. A real treat.

Furgs
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 04/3/04 1:36 PM
OOPS!

My follow up to Bill B's message didn't go through.

I say, say it ain't so!! We're planning the Great American Roadtrip this summer (VA to IA, SD, ID, OR, CA, Four Corners, panhandle of TX and home again) and the one stop my 16 year old son wants to add to our itinerary is for a great steak in Kansas City.

My dad ate at the Golden Ox 40+ years ago while on the campaign trail and my husband ate there about 7 years ago and pronounced it wonderful. We were hoping to go there this summer.

If anyone has eaten at the reborn Golden Ox, can you post a review?

Thanks,

Furgs

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7408
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 04/3/04 4:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Furgs

OOPS!

My follow up to Bill B's message didn't go through.

I say, say it ain't so!! We're planning the Great American Roadtrip this summer (VA to IA, SD, ID, OR, CA, Four Corners, panhandle of TX and home again) and the one stop my 16 year old son wants to add to our itinerary is for a great steak in Kansas City.

My dad ate at the Golden Ox 40+ years ago while on the campaign trail and my husband ate there about 7 years ago and pronounced it wonderful. We were hoping to go there this summer.

If anyone has eaten at the reborn Golden Ox, can you post a review?

Thanks,

Furgs

It looks like the Golden Ox Reopened as their website is up and active. www.goldenox.com I ate there about 4 years ago and it was great!

bkreger
RE: Great Steakhouses - Fri, 04/16/04 11:25 PM
Here's my Top Ten:

1. Chicago Chop House
2. Brook's Steak House & Cellar - Greenwood Village (Denver), Colorado
3. Ruth's Chris (The Original) - New Orleans
4. The Bull Ring - Santa Fe
5. Chamberlain's Steak & Chop House - Dallas
6. Manny's - Minneapolis
7. III Forks - Dallas
8. Rainwater's on Kettner - San Diego
9. The Old Homestead - New York
10. Cattlemen's Steak House - Oklahoma City

Bluemaxx
  • Total Posts : 465
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 04/17/04 10:21 AM
Here are my favorties. Although they are not in order of favorties, my #1 will always be #1 in my book.

1. PETER LUGER (Brooklyn, NY)
2. Ruth's Chris (New Orleans & others)
3. The Speckled Perch (Okeechobee, FL)
4. Sparks (Manhattan, NYC)
5. Gene & Georgetti's (Chicago, IL)
6. Cattleman's (Ft. Worth, TX)
7. Cattleman's (Oklahoma City, OK)
8. Morton's (Chicago & others)
9. Bern's (Tampa)
10. Raindancer (West Palm Beach, FL)

Rich
[url]www.BluemaxxRacing.com[/url]

KelleyGz
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 04/17/04 2:42 PM
Hmmmmm, the best? My top 3 picks are as follows

1. The Goldon Ox - Kansas City, MO (Hands down the GREATEST)
2. The Big Texan Steak Ranch - Amarillo, TX
3. DJ's Steakhouse - Canon City, CO

KelleyGz
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 04/17/04 2:44 PM
Oops, I forgot one...

My fourth choice would have to be the Steak Pit in New Orleans, LA.

big g in joisey
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 04/21/04 2:07 AM
In Carlstadt NJ on route 17 south Steve's Sizzling Steaks,serves the steaks right from the oven,great porter house,and love their steak fries.Your best bet is early in the week,on Friday's and Saturday's
the wait is usually at least an hour.

Spudnut
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 04/22/04 8:38 AM
Tried Wolfgang's last night, a new steak house in Manhattan owned/operated by a former Peter Luger's waiter.

Like many people who've written here, I'm a big, big fan of Peter Luger's.

I might, just might, like Wolfgang's better. And two of the other five guys I was with said the same thing. The others are holding out until we make a return visit to Luger's next month.

Wolfgang's is clearly inspired by Luger's. The menu is essentially the same (although, unlike Luger's, I actually saw a menu. I've been to Luger's 20 times, easily, and have never seen a menu. Nor asked for one.) The steak is served the same way: sliced porterhouse on a sizzling hot plate. Juicy pieces of lamb that were comparable to Luger's. The German potatoes, shrimp, tomato and onion...all exactly the same. We had cheesecake, pecan pie and chocolate mousse cake for dessert. All similar to Luger's, but the pecan pie was even better -- and I don't even like pecan pie. All of these, of course, were accompanied by a big bowl of whipped cream (schlag).

Why do I think I might prefer Wolfgang's? Both the steak and lamb were the slightest bit tastier to me. The desserts were better. The creamed spinach was a little less heavy. And, while no one has ever ordered a salad in the history of my boys-nights out, I saw other tables with salads that looked clearly superior to those of Luger's. And, finally, while we also didn't order this, they offer a seafood-tower appetizer that looked incredible.

What's different from Luger's? The place is new, for one thing, with sloped ceilings a la Grand Central Station (if anyone here has ever been to Guastavino's in NYC, the architect is the same.) As a result, it is INCREDIBLY LOUD. The six of us at a round table had trouble communicating, and my throat is sore today. The waiters are certainly a bit more jovial than at Luger's, but I've never had a problem with the Luger waiters.

In the end, Luger's is Luger's. It has tradition on its side. It was first as far as its kind of steak house in the NY area. But Wolfgang's is very, very comparable. And, lazy as I can be, it was nice that I didn't have to go out to Brooklyn. Of course, someone in Brooklyn might say the same thing about not having to come out to Manhattan to go to Wolfgang's.

tsores
  • Total Posts : 653
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 04/22/04 9:51 AM
Gene & Georgietti in Chicago.

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 2 of 7, messages 61 to 120 of 364