Great Steakhouses

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 3 of 7, messages 121 to 180 of 364
Howard Baratz
  • Total Posts : 445
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 04/22/04 3:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

Tried Wolfgang's last night, a new steak house in Manhattan owned/operated by a former Peter Luger's waiter.

Like many people who've written here, I'm a big, big fan of Peter Luger's.

I might, just might, like Wolfgang's better. And two of the other five guys I was with said the same thing. The others are holding out until we make a return visit to Luger's next month.

Wolfgang's is clearly inspired by Luger's. The menu is essentially the same (although, unlike Luger's, I actually saw a menu. I've been to Luger's 20 times, easily, and have never seen a menu. Nor asked for one.) The steak is served the same way: sliced porterhouse on a sizzling hot plate. Juicy pieces of lamb that were comparable to Luger's. The German potatoes, shrimp, tomato and onion...all exactly the same. We had cheesecake, pecan pie and chocolate mousse cake for dessert. All similar to Luger's, but the pecan pie was even better -- and I don't even like pecan pie. All of these, of course, were accompanied by a big bowl of whipped cream (schlag).

Why do I think I might prefer Wolfgang's? Both the steak and lamb were the slightest bit tastier to me. The desserts were better. The creamed spinach was a little less heavy. And, while no one has ever ordered a salad in the history of my boys-nights out, I saw other tables with salads that looked clearly superior to those of Luger's. And, finally, while we also didn't order this, they offer a seafood-tower appetizer that looked incredible.

What's different from Luger's? The place is new, for one thing, with sloped ceilings a la Grand Central Station (if anyone here has ever been to Guastavino's in NYC, the architect is the same.) As a result, it is INCREDIBLY LOUD. The six of us at a round table had trouble communicating, and my throat is sore today. The waiters are certainly a bit more jovial than at Luger's, but I've never had a problem with the Luger waiters.

In the end, Luger's is Luger's. It has tradition on its side. It was first as far as its kind of steak house in the NY area. But Wolfgang's is very, very comparable. And, lazy as I can be, it was nice that I didn't have to go out to Brooklyn. Of course, someone in Brooklyn might say the same thing about not having to come out to Manhattan to go to Wolfgang's.

Phil:

Does Wolfgang's accept credit cards? The fact that Luger's doesn't has been problematic at times.

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 04/22/04 3:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Baratz

quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

Tried Wolfgang's last night, a new steak house in Manhattan owned/operated by a former Peter Luger's waiter.

Like many people who've written here, I'm a big, big fan of Peter Luger's.

I might, just might, like Wolfgang's better. And two of the other five guys I was with said the same thing. The others are holding out until we make a return visit to Luger's next month.

Wolfgang's is clearly inspired by Luger's. The menu is essentially the same (although, unlike Luger's, I actually saw a menu. I've been to Luger's 20 times, easily, and have never seen a menu. Nor asked for one.) The steak is served the same way: sliced porterhouse on a sizzling hot plate. Juicy pieces of lamb that were comparable to Luger's. The German potatoes, shrimp, tomato and onion...all exactly the same. We had cheesecake, pecan pie and chocolate mousse cake for dessert. All similar to Luger's, but the pecan pie was even better -- and I don't even like pecan pie. All of these, of course, were accompanied by a big bowl of whipped cream (schlag).

Why do I think I might prefer Wolfgang's? Both the steak and lamb were the slightest bit tastier to me. The desserts were better. The creamed spinach was a little less heavy. And, while no one has ever ordered a salad in the history of my boys-nights out, I saw other tables with salads that looked clearly superior to those of Luger's. And, finally, while we also didn't order this, they offer a seafood-tower appetizer that looked incredible.

What's different from Luger's? The place is new, for one thing, with sloped ceilings a la Grand Central Station (if anyone here has ever been to Guastavino's in NYC, the architect is the same.) As a result, it is INCREDIBLY LOUD. The six of us at a round table had trouble communicating, and my throat is sore today. The waiters are certainly a bit more jovial than at Luger's, but I've never had a problem with the Luger waiters.

In the end, Luger's is Luger's. It has tradition on its side. It was first as far as its kind of steak house in the NY area. But Wolfgang's is very, very comparable. And, lazy as I can be, it was nice that I didn't have to go out to Brooklyn. Of course, someone in Brooklyn might say the same thing about not having to come out to Manhattan to go to Wolfgang's.

Phil:

Does Wolfgang's accept credit cards? The fact that Luger's doesn't has been problematic at times.

Huge oversight on my part: Yes, Wolfgang's DOES accept credit cards. No "Wolfgang's Card" necessary.

Rogey88
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 05/10/04 9:02 PM
I have eaten Ruth chris, Mortons, Lawreys, But by the far the best steak house i have been to is Charleys Steak House In orlando, Its ranked 3rd in the nation, Mortons and Ruths chris are not in the top 10 even though they are very good.

Spudnut
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 05/10/04 10:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rogey88

I have eaten Ruth chris, Mortons, Lawreys, But by the far the best steak house i have been to is Charleys Steak House In orlando, Its ranked 3rd in the nation, Mortons and Ruths chris are not in the top 10 even though they are very good.

Ranked by whom?

acer2x
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 05/11/04 12:06 AM
Peter Luger's is the best that I've experienced. I look forward to Gibson's and Gene&Georgetti's in Chicago this summer.
When in Scottsdale, try Mastro's www.mastrossteakhouse.com
and Don&Charlies www.azeats.com/DonAndCharlies/

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 05/11/04 4:36 PM
I just saw a small review on FoodNetwork regarding "Chisholm's" in Texas and was wondering what one might think of their steaks. They looked good enough but never touched a grill. Simply seared on the steove top with a dry rub of brown sugar, salt, coarse ground pepper(not really suggested for home without EXCELLENT ventilation)then finished off in the oven until desired doneness. Has anyone eaten there? I know we have Texans on board!

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 05/11/04 6:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

I just saw a small review on FoodNetwork regarding "Chisholm's" in Texas and was wondering what one might think of their steaks. They looked good enough but never touched a grill. Simply seared on the steove top with a dry rub of brown sugar, salt, coarse ground pepper(not really suggested for home without EXCELLENT ventilation)then finished off in the oven until desired doneness. Has anyone eaten there? I know we have Texans on board!

Rusty (congrats on his win a few weeks ago ), I'm not familiar with this place. Do you know what town it's in??

Of course, we Texans are very humble and would NEVER think of "tooting our own horns", so even if it's the best place in the world, you'd never hear us bring it up!

I'm curious, so please pass on any info you have.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 05/12/04 10:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Rusty (congrats on his win a few weeks ago ), I'm not familiar with this place. Do you know what town it's in??

Of course, we Texans are very humble and would NEVER think of "tooting our own horns", so even if it's the best place in the world, you'd never hear us bring it up!

I'm curious, so please pass on any info you have.

Thanks Bushie on the congrats!

The correct title of the restaurant is "Chisholm Club" which is located in Fort Worth. The chef there is Grady Spears.

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 05/12/04 11:01 AM
Well, I've certainly heard of Grady Spears!

Looks like a great place, Rusty. Thanks.

http://www.thechisholmclub.com/

snoby
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 05/12/04 12:30 PM
The best steak I ever had and keep going back to is Jocko's in Nipomo, Calif. 10 miles north of Santa Maria, Calif. They cook their extra thick steaks over a big Pacific Oak wood pit. It's better than the Hitching Post in Casmalia, or The Far Western in Guatalupe which are close by. I make that long drive from Las Vegas, NV for the weekend. I'm in Little Rock, AR now and will have dinner at Does tonight. I'ts very good.

steveindurham
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 07/7/04 4:42 PM
My favorites in order:

1. Peter Luger's (Brooklyn)
2. Doe's Eat Place (Greenville, MS)
3. McKendrick Steak House (Atlanta)
4. Shula's (Baltimore)
5. Angus Barn (Raleigh, NC)
6. Morton's (suburban Chicago)

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17851
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 07/7/04 5:07 PM
Doe's Eat Place? Although I've never been, there's one in Columbus, Ohio. I didn't know it was a chain.

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 07/7/04 5:08 PM
I never really understood what all the fuss is about Bern's. I find the place unnerving. All that scary rococo, and such a lot of fuss over a $40 slab of meat and some ticky-tacky (my opinion here, folks!) desserts. I'm not saying the food is sub-par at all, it's just the atmosphere basically ain't my bag, baby!
(-Kristi S., waiting to be hit at with a t-bone)

steveindurham
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 07/7/04 5:14 PM
I didn't realize Doe's was a chain. I have only been to the original Doe's in Greenville. MS.

Another great steak house that is anything but fancy is Coerper's in Milwaukee.

Bill B.
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 07/7/04 6:09 PM
I know of three: the one in Mississippi, the one near Little Rock and the one in Fayetteville, Ark. (I've eaten at that one, and it is really, really good.) But apparently the concept is now available as a franchise. There's a Web site under development and an 800 number for franchise information.

Coming soon, to a strip mall near you.

aleswench
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 07/7/04 7:07 PM

Originally posted by Spudnut

I'm a NYC guy, but I'll resist the urge to list nothing but NYC steak places.

Have you ever been to a steakhouse in Briarcliff NY (right by the Tappan Zee) called "Flames" - we have been meaning to go there, but just have not had the opportunity. I read about it on some website...I'll have to find it again....ok...here it is:

http://www.hosstyle.com/steakhouse/Flames_steakhouse.htm

Just curious.....if not we'll have to go and do our own roadfood review!

By the way...thanks to everyone for helping to make our Maine Vacation sooooo wonderful. We have "details" and a pic or two from the carnage at Young's Lobster pound. Still unpacking though...details to follow!!

rigoleto
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 07/11/04 4:35 AM
Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. After that, any other joint in Argentina will do (I'm not kidding!).

steveindurham
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 07/25/04 6:56 AM
Michael Hoffman - read Stern's review about the Grennville, MS Doe's.

Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1872
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 07/26/04 7:13 PM
Hello all,

I have to go with Arthurs Steakhouse in Hoboken . Get the 48 ounce if you can handle it .
Also a place by me is Schlesingers Steakhouse in New Windsor NY about an hour north of the city.
I have enjoyed Ruths Chris in Arlington VA overlooking Reagan Airport and the sites in DC , until I got the bill that is . Ha Ha.
Mortons of Chicago was also a favorite of mine when we visited Chicago.
And of course for the hometown favorite , nothing tops Peter Lugers in Brooklyn.
Benzee

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 07/26/04 7:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Kristi S.

I never really understood what all the fuss is about Bern's. I find the place unnerving. All that scary rococo, and such a lot of fuss over a $40 slab of meat and some ticky-tacky (my opinion here, folks!) desserts. I'm not saying the food is sub-par at all, it's just the atmosphere basically ain't my bag, baby!

(-Kristi S., waiting to be hit at with a t-bone)

For some reason, people that live in the area downtalk Bern Steakhouse. We have friend that never went there because their Tampa friends were always "badmouthing" it. We got them to go and they could not believe how great it was. We have taken many people there and they have always loved it.............as far as desserts go, I think that they are superb. The wonderful cognacs and other after dinner drinks are wonderful and I think that the ice cream dessert with the freshly ground coffee in it is one of the most simple but wonderful desserts I have ever had...............no tacky here!

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 07/27/04 12:49 AM
I have enjoyed Bern's many times. While never cheap, it offered tremendous value with the salad, soup and veggies on the plate. Now that Bern passed away the prices have increased significantly and it is no longer the great value that it was.

I have been told many times that Charley's on Cypress in Tampa is better than Bern's. I had always passed and gone to Bern's, but I think on my next visit to Tampa I will give it a try. Anyone with firsthand experience there?

Wholebelly
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 07/29/04 4:27 PM
Has anyone been to Manero's in Greenwich, Connecticut lately? I've not been in years, but it was always tops in my book. They even have a butcher shop where you can by Prime cuts.

http://www.maneros-greenwichct.com/

Spudnut
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 07/29/04 4:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by signman

I have enjoyed Bern's many times. While never cheap, it offered tremendous value with the salad, soup and veggies on the plate. Now that Bern passed away the prices have increased significantly and it is no longer the great value that it was.

I have been told many times that Charley's on Cypress in Tampa is better than Bern's. I had always passed and gone to Bern's, but I think on my next visit to Tampa I will give it a try. Anyone with firsthand experience there?

Does anyone (Kristi?) have any input on Malio's? I know George Steinbrenner eats there, which might be enough to keep me away (even though I'm headed to Yankee Stadium in about an hour.)

Regarding another post...I have to disagree about Arthur's in Hoboken. A friend who loves it took me there, and I think you get what you pay for.

DaveM
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 08/3/04 6:58 PM
Boston is now getting a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse see the article:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4363
This means Boston will have a Morton's, Abe and Louie's, Plaza 3, Smith and Wolensky on the way, and a Ruth's...and I probably missed 1 or 2.
I remember when the Hilltop in Saugus was a big deal.
Frank's Steak House in Cambridge,MA is not as fancy, but very good-simple,classic steakhouse.
Heather and I returned from our annual July trip to Montreal...we forsaked Gibby's and Moishe's in favor of 2 lesser rated steakhouses:
The Alouette on St. Catherine, and Le Keg, on St. Paul in Old Montreal, and in both cases, had fabulous dinners and drinks and had a bill of $135 Canadian or less.
DaveM

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2936
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 08/17/04 9:28 PM
I had one killer steak a couple weeks ago at Damenti's, in Mountain Top PA.

Damenti's has a reputation for being the best restaurant in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton corridor, and it also has the reputation for being tremendously overrated. It's kind of strange that I've never eaten there before; I live about 5 minutes away, and the owner is an old school friend of my wife's brother, and I know him as a business acquaintance. I've avoided Damenti's based on accounts of non-regulars being treated poorly compared to regulars.

I had a porterhouse steak there that must have been around 2 pounds, around 2" thick, dry aged, perfectly medium rare. Served without potato; sides were a lettuce/cucumber/onion salad with blue cheese dressing and zucchini & summer squash with basil.

It was easily the best steak I've had outside of a major metro area; I'd say it is as good as any but the best from those major metros. I'd say it's close to Charley's in Orlando.

It would be classified as "expensive", IMO. That steak was pushing $40.

"So, Mosca; where do we find this 'Mountain Top' that you speak of? Is it worth even searching for?"

Ah, here is where ROADFOOD becomes part of the story! Damenti's is on Rt 309, about one mile north of Interstate 80 in Pennsylvania, maybe an hour or so west of the PA/NY border. So if you're crossing PA, and looking for a killer steak, remember Damenti's.

(Oh; if you're crossing PA and want a good inexpensive meal, and about 90% of the quality, go to the White Haven exit, maybe 10 miles farther east, and a couple miles north on Rt 437 you'll find a sign pointing to the right saying "Charley Weaver's Restaurant". Go there.)

Tom

HiredGoon
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 08/23/04 12:38 AM
F. McLintock's in Shell Beach (Pismo) California is the best! All their dinners include onion rings with salsa, salad, trail camp beans, garlic bread, ranch fried potatoes and after dinner liqueur or sherbert or ice cream. Their beans are excellent, good cowboy beans are a must have with a good steak. They have a great atmosphere and a great view of the pacific. One of the things they're known for besides their great food, is that all the waiters pour your water from up high. Sometimes they do trick pouring like pouring water into your glass while standing on a chair or with the glass on your head. They're very good but miss sometimes.

http://www.mclintocks.com/

don&sue
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 10/10/04 4:31 PM
WE have gone to Peter Luger on many occasion. It was always the best steak in town. #1 on our list. Then last June we went to Raliegh-Durham for a wedding. Before going we spoke to some people going to that wedding and asked for the best steak house in the area. I agree with hillbilly.

The Angus Barn is the Best steak we have ever had.

Whereever we travel, we look for a steakhouse. In LA we found the Black Angus. In a week, we went there 4 times.

don&sue
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 10/10/04 5:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Alright, I stand here ready to have my head handed to me -- but I just ate one of the best steaks I have had in my life -- top 10 lifetime, call it -- at a chain restaurant and for under 10 bucks incl beverage.

We have a chain called Boulder Creek Steakhouse. There is a bout 10 on LI. We have gone to 2 off them. Bayshore and Hauppage. Bayshore is closest, but we were not satisfied. We've benn going to the Hauppage place which is a little further away. I always get the "Outlaw" a 32 Oz. Porterhouse Steak, served on a 450° sizzling platter with butter, garlic and rosemary. DEEE-licous

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4532
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 10/10/04 7:32 PM
There is a place that is in the middle of noplace in Sebring, Florida called The Watering Hole. I think it does qualify as a Roadfood place it isn't fancy by any means.

TREMENDOUS steak -- cooked perfectly (I like mine Pittsburgh-style) ...they serve it with a banana and a fruit plate and the potatos are melt-in-your-mouth.

No reservations -- be prepared to wait a long time if you don't get there at the "crack of five."

No credit cards. Legend is that Paul Newman had to go out looking for an ATM after the meal so he could pay for dinner.

Spudnut
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 10/10/04 9:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

There is a place that is in the middle of noplace in Sebring, Florida called The Watering Hole. I think it does qualify as a Roadfood place it isn't fancy by any means.

TREMENDOUS steak -- cooked perfectly (I like mine Pittsburgh-style) ...they serve it with a banana and a fruit plate and the potatos are melt-in-your-mouth.

No reservations -- be prepared to wait a long time if you don't get there at the "crack of five."

No credit cards. Legend is that Paul Newman had to go out looking for an ATM after the meal so he could pay for dinner.

Help me out. What's Pittsburgh style? Served with a Clark Bar?

ericats
  • Total Posts : 112
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 10/10/04 10:29 PM
Question for the NYC people: Do you know of a steakhouse, I believe it is in Midtown on the Westside, that serves the $40 hamburger and a $30 hotdog? I saw it on the Food Network and it is one that I've never heard of. If you know about it is it any good? Is a $30 hotdog worth it?

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 10/10/04 11:46 PM
P.T. Barnum would tell you a thirty dollar hot dog is worth every penny.

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4532
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 10/11/04 9:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Spudnut

quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Help me out. What's Pittsburgh style? Served with a Clark Bar?

Pittsburgh is charred on the outside and rare (just about raw) on the inside. Some folks call it "Black-and-Blue."

garykg6
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 10/11/04 11:02 AM
I have eaton in some of the best over the years...Bern's,Ruth Chris,Lugers,etc....but in Tampa,the real sleeper is Sam Selzters.
went there yesterday after a family function...crisp(cold)salads,attentive service,wonderful garlic mashed and a whopper of a steak that was perfectly cooked(rare) ,tender and with that real 'steak'flavor....give it a try!

elswinger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 10/13/04 1:45 PM
In Seattle:

The Metropolitan Grill
The Union Square Bar & Grill
Morton's of Chicago
El Gaucho (also in Portland, OR)

2005Equinox
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 10/13/04 9:39 PM
Grillin (Though it is one of those do it yourself places). Willies supper club. Believe it or not Golden Corrals sirloin is unexpectedly good. B.J Clancys has excellent prime rib.

kozel
  • Total Posts : 811
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 10/24/04 11:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ericats

Question for the NYC people: Do you know of a steakhouse, I believe it is in Midtown on the Westside, that serves the $40 hamburger and a $30 hotdog? I saw it on the Food Network and it is one that I've never heard of. If you know about it is it any good? Is a $30 hotdog worth it?

Was it 'The Old Homestead'? It's not midtown but it is westside down in the meat packing district. They have a $41 burger and a $19 dog, both Kobe beef. The place dates to the 1860's and you can see the lunch menu here:

http://www.oldhomesteadrestaurant.com/menus/lunchmenu.html

max4951
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 10/30/04 10:00 PM
I have mentioned The Silver Flame in Tulsa Oklahoma before in another spot in this forum but it bears mentioning again. Great Steak, Great service, good bar and friendly hardworking people. I have been going there for 15 years and never once been disapointed with anything.

comfortfoodlover
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 11/23/04 5:38 PM
Cattlemen's in Oklahoma City. Just the best. http://www.cattlemensrestaurant.com/

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 12/11/04 12:10 PM
I had a great dining experience a few days ago at Charlie's Steak House in Tampa. I ate and drank at the bar and had a great time with the bartenders and other patrons. The place was really hopping. I had a wonderful filet mignon that was cooked to perfection. excellent wine list and choices. Food and ambiance was excellent. Highly recommend.

mistertawny
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 12/18/04 11:37 AM
A place that has a soft spot in my heart, although it's now defunct was in Pittsburg Ca. The place was called T'bones. This was a real roadfood joint. It was in a cinderblock building that was shall we politely say less than ornametal. It sat less than 40 and that would be crowded. Each booth had a small black and white TV with crappy reception except for the sports channels. The neighborhood was rough, with ladies of the evening and even ladies of the middle afternoon strolling by. Not a place for the "gourmand", n'cest pas?

Anyway the place was owned and run by a gentleman named Richard who had made a chunk of money, and this was his retirement hobby. He pretty well ran roughshod over his staff, and had a high turnover rate. He did try and use people from half way homes to help get them on their feet. But working for him couldn't have been a picnic. He really demanded they treat everyone nicely and that the whole staff would split tips (including the dishwasher).

Well I started going in there about once a week. Usually got a large top sirloin (pound and a half), his fries were terrific and you had the choice of a side of beans or pineapple (I had never thought of them as going together, now I don't think a steak should be eaten without citrus on the side). For dessert you got a chocolate mousse....a tootsie roll! He had a pretty small menu, basically he served meat, from a Dale Evans (1/2 pound ground chuck), to the Damn Fool, 3.5 pounds of t-bone. When you ordered that aprticular item he took your pic and posted it on his wall. He did have a decent salad bar, with great sharp bleu cheese dressing he made himself. One of the funnier things he did was pricing the salad bar. $2.50 with a steak, $50.00 on it's own, as he would say, this is a steak house. He also served (when available), alligator tail, wild boar, venison, shark, rattlesnake and more stuff I don't remember. It was a hoot.

He aged his meat on premesis, and even went out and picked his own cattle. Very good eye too. His steaks were some of the best I have EVER had.

My favorite memeory that endears him and his steak house to me after 10 years or so since it's demise. I was there when a rather unruly biker club came in and was ordering dinner. There were about 15 of them or so. 3 or 4 of the guys ordered my favorite large top and wanted them well done. Richard came out and tried to tell them that he would not "ruin" a great steak by charbroiling it to shoe leather. These guys all stood up and were trying to be menacing and nasty. He simply said do you want to eat here, or just go away hungry? They saw he was serious and backed down. Gave him a big tip as I remember!

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 12/22/04 12:23 AM
I love the Ringside in Portland, Oregon. Great steaks. The onion rings are to die for.

Sherp
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sat, 02/5/05 3:00 AM
When I want a good steak, I usually grill it here at home. I have an excellent source for steaks. On occasion, I'll venture out. I haven't sought out bona fide "steak houses" locally, but have gone to a couple of chain restaurants, namely, The Outback and Lone Star Steak House. My preferred cut is rib-eye. Outback is OK, but a little too lean and dry. Lone Star's rib-eyes are typically good to excellent in my opinion. Texas Roadhouse has recently opened a new restaurant nearby and I'll be trying that one out soon. I understand that they have a pretty good reputation.

Tom, in Boise

cathandler
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Great Steakhouses - Sun, 02/6/05 12:32 AM
Went to Outback earlier this week and it was no better than average. Had a fabulous Ruby's Ribeye at the new Ruby Tuesday in Westbrook, ME recently but I've been told it can be hit-and-miss depending on location. Bonanza is the same way; Sanford was great, while Augusta was disgusting. Best independent I've been to in some time is Mac's Grill in Auburn (http://www.macsgrill.com.) I plan to hit the Steakhouse in Wells (http://www.the-steakhouse.com) when they reopen in late March.

anselmo1
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 02/24/05 2:02 AM
In Buffalo, New York area there are only two great steakhouses:

1. The Buffalo Chophouse
2. E.B. Green's

Both are outstanding and highly recommended. The Buffalo Bills football team seems to prefer The Buffalo Chophouse.

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 02/24/05 4:55 AM
Ah, the steakhouse. I remember back in graduate school, when someone would pass their exams, we would celebrate at Sizzler. Real meat ... well, sort of ... and a potato of sorts, and an all-you-could-eat salad bar. And the ice cream (sort of) machine. Back then it was a pretty great steakhouse.

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Great Steakhouses - Thu, 02/24/05 5:04 AM
But as an afterthought to that. Has anyone tried taking a good piece of meat and dry-aging it at home, and then cooking it right? And then compare with the big-buck steaks at a high-name steakhouse? I do it with roasts and thick steaks, and it comes out great. At far less that the beef houses. And potatos the way I really like them.

MartinT
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 03/28/05 11:36 PM
For NYC the best steak is at Peter Luger`s,best bar is at Gallagher`s and the best people watching at Michael Jordan`s in Grand Central Station with a seat above the Main Concourse.

MartinT
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 03/28/05 11:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by cathandler

Went to Outback earlier this week and it was no better than average. Had a fabulous Ruby's Ribeye at the new Ruby Tuesday in Westbrook, ME recently but I've been told it can be hit-and-miss depending on location. Bonanza is the same way; Sanford was great, while Augusta was disgusting. Best independent I've been to in some time is Mac's Grill in Auburn (http://www.macsgrill.com.) I plan to hit the Steakhouse in Wells (http://www.the-steakhouse.com) when they reopen in late March.

Cathandler-No disrespect intended but the spots you mentioned would be better suited for a chain restaurant forum.They have no business here. Recommend you head to Boston and bring your wallet because you won`t get out for $20 a head at a good New York Style Steakhouse.

hjbyun
  • Total Posts : 100
RE: Great Steakhouses - Mon, 03/28/05 11:50 PM
I've not eaten at a lot of steak houses other than in DC where I've tried most of them. My favorite by far is the Capital Grill on Penn. Ave (for some reason the other location in Tyson's is not as good). The Dry aged porterhouse is excellent and the seafood appetizers is great!!!

The worst steak house experience was not in DC but in Las Vagas at Delmonicos. I didn't like the service or the steak. Would never go back.

sugarlander
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 03/29/05 10:12 AM
Best steaks in HOUSTON, my ranking

1. Ruth's Chris
2. Churrasco's
3. (tie)Pappa's
Vic and Anthony's
5. (tie)Morton's of Chicago
Fleming's
Smith and Wollensky
8. Sullivan's

DaveM
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 03/29/05 10:41 AM
Cathandler, as one with family in Kennebunk, The Steakhouse in Wells is the only true steakhouse in the southern coastal area that specializes in steak.
The Bonanza restaurants are less chain, more independents at this point, and the one in Sanford is consistantly busy.
I wonder what Fore Street in Portland is offering for beef these days even though it is not a true steakhouse.
Also, Muddy River Smokehouse in Portsmouth,NH has beef on its menu, and once the season starts, there could be something in Ogunquit.
DaveM

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7410
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 03/29/05 12:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MartinT

Cathandler-No disrespect intended but the spots you mentioned would be better suited for a chain restaurant forum.They have no business here. Recommend you head to Boston and bring your wallet because you won`t get out for $20 a head at a good New York Style Steakhouse.

MartinT,

I am originally from NY and have experienced several of the NY Style Steakhouses and have paid a pretty penny however, neither of them can hold a candle to the Golden Ox in Kansas City (16 Oz KC Strip and Martini for $35 with tax and tip in 2000) or The Tea Steak House in Tea South Dakota (32 OZ T-Bone $20 with tax and tip in 1998) Everyone knows that the Best Beef is in the Mid West.

MartinT
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 03/29/05 5:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

MartinT,

I am originally from NY and have experienced several of the NY Style Steakhouses and have paid a pretty penny however, neither of them can hold a candle to the Golden Ox in Kansas City (16 Oz KC Strip and Martini for $35 with tax and tip in 2000) or The Tea Steak House in Tea South Dakota (32 OZ T-Bone $20 with tax and tip in 1998) Everyone knows that the Best Beef is in the Mid West.

MartinT
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 03/29/05 5:09 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

MartinT,
wanderingjew- I would love to try the spots you referenced in the Midwest. Never been to KC so I can`t compare. It would seem logical that most of the great steakhouses in the Northeast get their beef from the Midwest. I understand that Ruth`s Chris raises their own. Know anything about this?

MartinT
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 03/29/05 5:37 PM
Sorry to wanderingjew as my last reply was added in error to your response and appears to be one reply.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7410
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 03/29/05 7:23 PM
quote:

Sorry to wanderingjew as my last reply was added in error to your response and appears to be one reply.

Martin T,
I'm not certain if Ruth's Chris raises their own beef, but I'm pretty certain that Peter Lugers does. The Secret to Beef in the Midwest (I know this because of a good friend from Minnesota) is that they keep the best quality and cuts for themselves!

Will44
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 04/12/05 10:56 AM
There's great Prime Rib on Weekends, at Lemke's on National in West Allis, WI They only use certified Black Angus Prime's Slow Roasted, and three differant cuts for your appetite.

aleswench
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Great Steakhouses - Tue, 04/12/05 2:14 PM
I've been meaning to post our weekend experience - here's the perfect place to do it! I've been staying at my parents dog sitting for the past two weeks. Since we've been apart so long, Bob came down and we decided to splurge and try out Mignon's on Park Ave in Rutherford, NJ. I think he had read about it on another forum. Now, there are quite a few New York Steakhouses not far away, however, if you don't want to cross the border, this place is great. And an added bonus is that it is a BYOB place, so you don't have a liquor bill.

Our Dinner: Buffalo Calamari - just had to try it because we've never seen it before. The calamari was perfect - tender, not chewy and the sauce spicy and tangy with blue cheese crumbles. Very good, but strange. Not sure I would ever get it again, not because it tasted bad, it was just too wierd for me. I regret not trying the crabcakes instead, which looked delicious on another patrons plate.

We ordered the Porterhouse for 2. It was $45 and one of the best steaks I've ever had. Perfectly cooked prime, medium rare, charred on the outside and juicy. Oh man...the only complaint was that it could have been bigger for us. But then again we can be glutons, so for a "normal" couple it would be fine. Then again, I'm speaking to Roadfooders . I should also add that the adorable young waitress carved that thing with the skill of a seasoned butcher. Didn't expect that at all. The service was excellent - very friendly and added alot to the experience. Creamed spinach was the side, and very good as well.

Dessert was THE only slight disappointment creme brulee was a little too "eggy" for me - mine is better, not to brag, IMHO.

The wine we brought was very good as well - Red Rooster Merlot-it was recommended by the clerk and did not disappoint. Let it breathe a bit, though.

The atmosphere was done nicely - very rich woodwork walls and minimal decor. It could be both exciting and romantic at the same time. We were tucked in a corner and it was perfect.

I'd definitely recommend it for Jerseyites, or those travelling through, as Rutherford is close to the Turnpike, Route 80, 3 & 17. Sue

p.s. we balanced the weekend out the next day and went to Rutt's for some rippers and wellers and nice greasy onion rings

Edit: I forgot one noteable thing - the bread was spectacular-crusty and dense. And the kicker - they serve it with butter that tastes better than butter and steak tartar (sp?)- it was an added bonus!

dkp
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Great Steakhouses - Wed, 04/27/05 10:17 PM
O.K. everyone. Several of you have listed Johnny's in Omaha as one of your favorites. But, someone, way back in this forum wasn't happy with it. We will be going to Omaha in September, and thought we would like to go to Johnny's; I used to eat there when I worked in Omaha.
Is it still good? Or, do you have another recommendation for us in the same price range?
Thanks everybody

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 3 of 7, messages 121 to 180 of 364