Virginia Bakeries

Junior Burger
2006/09/18 17:08:00
Hello

In Virginia, there are only a few of the old-style bakeries left. You know what I am talking about--1950s decor, 1970s prices, terrazzo floors, tape dispensers for package sealing, and a safe but competent non-French mix of cakes, cookies, breads and confections. Does any place make cinnamon twists anymore?

Below are three classics. I am wondering if there are any others across the state worth looking at for a food story I am researching. In addition, please tell of ones that are close to interstate exits, etc.. Also of interest--any old style bakeries in Northern VA or Roanoke areas. Below are three I know of. Do the roadfood readers know of any more? If so, please post here and you can also email me at editor(AT)capefear.com.

Sally Bell's in Richmond is a well-known classic but I am looking for others. Faves are:

Mixing Bowl, Richmond

Westhampton Bakery, Richmond

NAAS Bakery, Tidewater Drive, Norfolk

thanks
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
RE: Virginia Bakeries 2006/09/21 09:49:51
I think Rainbow Donuts in Richmond sells cinnamon twists.

I live in Williamsburg and there is a relatively new bakery open in connection with an Italian deli - Florimonte's. I'm not sure this is what your looking for.

Looking forward to your findings.
Cathy
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Virginia Bakeries 2006/09/21 10:51:39
Knakal's Bakery in Culpeper, Va comes to mind. Been a couple years since I stopped by there, but I've always been happy with anything I've tried there. Biscuits are excellent!

Knakal's Bakery- 146 East Davis St., Culpeper, Va.

My boss mentioned a place in Md. (not Va. but close by) called Wall's Bakery. According to him ownership may have changed recently. But he swears by the doughnuts.

Wall's Bakery- Waldorf, Md. 301-645-5276
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
RE: Virginia Bakeries 2006/09/27 22:19:37
Sally Bell's is still in operation? Oh good! I used to get their lemon glazed "cut cakes" back in the late 60s. Nice to read a class operation survived.
rdean
Junior Burger
RE: Virginia Bakeries 2009/01/22 20:56:57
Grandma's Goodies (?) in Christiansburg. Or Wild Flour Bakery on 4th St in Roanoke.
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Virginia Bakeries 2009/01/23 14:54:45
Garland PollardHello...

Hey, Garland, selfishly and unrelated to this particular thread, note the reference to your great Virginia Living magazine on the tenth post here (and welcome to RoadFood!).

- A Fan

Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
Re:Virginia Bakeries 2009/01/23 17:48:30
Garland Pollard

Hello

Garland,

2 posts in 7 1/2 years? Way to pace yourself, dude.

Wabbit
Cheeseburger
Re:Virginia Bakeries 2009/01/23 18:12:17
The Westhampton bakery in Richmond was my fave, they would sell out of most items before noon, boy I miss them!
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:Virginia Bakeries 2009/03/27 12:09:39
Wabbit

The Westhampton bakery in Richmond was my fave, they would sell out of most items before noon, boy I miss them!

Wow say it isn't so about Westhampton!  I swear I just had some stuff from thee a few months ago :( 
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Virginia Bakeries 2009/03/27 12:14:09
I agree on Knackal's. Excellent eclairs, too. Culpeper's downtown has some nice gourmet shops and restaurants for strolling and chowing.
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
Re:Virginia Bakeries 2009/04/21 20:58:09
I have 40-year-old memories of Sally Bell's and the Westahamton.
Is Dot's Pastry Shop still around? 
The thing I remember from Richmond bakeries was "cut cakes" rather than cupcakes.  A sheet cake was cut into 3" squares and then individually frosted or given a hot glaze.

--oops, just noticed I responded to this 3 years ago!
post edited by DavidEMartin - 2009/04/21 21:00:16
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Virginia Bakeries 2009/04/21 21:34:33
The aforementioned Westhampton Pastry Shop (5728 Patterson Avenue in Richmond [804 / 282-4413]) is still both very much open and excellent. We're talking handmade cakes, pies, cookies and doughnuts. It is literally next to wanderingjew's beloved Freckles restaurant (as well as another place [Amy's Handmades?] which serves EXCELLENT limeades ) and I was just at both places a couple of weeks ago.

Still going strong. Still superb.

NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:Virginia Bakeries 2010/05/07 11:28:03
I just stopped at Westhampton a couple of weeks ago.   Got a great coconut cake, and some doughnuts and a few other pastries.  Wish it were a little easier for me to get to from work.. Then again my doctor is probably glad I don't get there very often lol.