The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Snacks that should be brought back

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 11, messages 271 to 300 of 323
stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
Re:Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 11/25/09 4:10 AM (permalink)
EatingTheRoad

dannybotz, you have those in N.J. too!?

In all seriousness, where can I find this delicacy? Roasted garlic is like candy. When I make it, good luck getting it out of my paws & onto the crostini. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
    Re:Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 11/25/09 7:51 AM (permalink)
    stricken_detective, there is almost nothing finer than a nice bulb of garlic roasted up and rubbed on a crusty, olive oil drizzled piece of bread...maybe even with some really sharp or smelly cheese!

...I will contact TastyKake's PR department and see what we can do about bringing this to market.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
      Re:Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 11/25/09 8:28 PM (permalink)
      EatingTheRoad

....but they never left...they're one of my favorites....a nice buttery fluffy Snickerdoodle...mmmm....

Ingredients
      1/2 cup butter, softened
      1/2 cup shortening
      1 1/2 cups white sugar
      2 eggs
      2 teaspoons vanilla extract
      2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
      2 teaspoons cream of tartar
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      2 tablespoons white sugar
      2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions
      1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt.

3. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets

They never left but they are very hard to find in stores anymore.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
        Re:Snacks that should be brought back Fri, 11/27/09 4:01 AM (permalink)
        EatingTheRoad

stricken_detective, there is almost nothing finer than a nice bulb of garlic roasted up and rubbed on a crusty, olive oil drizzled piece of bread...maybe even with some really sharp or smelly cheese!

You are overthinking this, my friend. Because when you grab the little sucker out of the oven & unwrap the foil, it's like Christmas morning. The garlic is soft & when you squeeze the bulb, the cloves come to meet you & there is no time for bread. Mmmmmmm, like candy.

I appreciate your efforts & let me know how the meeting with Tastykake goes.

EatingTheRoad

Re:Snacks that should be brought back Fri, 11/27/09 8:08 AM (permalink)

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
            Re:Snacks that should be brought back Sat, 12/12/09 3:41 PM (permalink)
            rainyday6 - so nice of you to offer, I was in a small, independently-owned grocery at the chceck out the other day and lo and behold I found the last 3 bars in the box.. I'm almost sorry now that I found them again... To me, they remind me of a cross between a 3 Musketeers and Reese's pb cup.  

greypatches

• Total Posts: 9
              Re:Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 12/20/09 12:03 PM (permalink)
              I used to love Chocodiles - from Hostess, they were Twinkies with a chocolate coating like Ding-Dongs have.
              We can't get them around here (St. Louis area).
              I saw some for sale on Ebay but that's just wrong!

johnnyb62

• Total Posts: 18
                Re:Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 12/20/09 12:56 PM (permalink)
                do they still make Bun candy bars? i used to love the maple flavored ones.

johnnyb62

Re:Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 12/20/09 5:44 PM (permalink)
                  i just thought of something else from my youth how about the chocolate drink Kayo in the brown cans.

EatingTheRoad

Re:Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 12/20/09 6:29 PM (permalink)
                    johnnyb62 Buns are still available:

http://www.oryans.com/mabuncabar24.html

...but not so much on your Kayo

<message edited by EatingTheRoad on Sun, 12/20/09 6:31 PM>

johnnyb62

Re:Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 12/21/09 10:57 AM (permalink)
                      thank you i got myself a xmas present BUN bars!

EatingTheRoad

Re:Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 12/21/09 11:20 AM (permalink)
                        johnnyb62, did you actually order some? That's great! Let me know if they are still as good as you remember.

They reminded me of Ross from friends with the maple candy:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on2_ooaUc4Q

boilermaker

• Total Posts: 55
                          Re:Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 12/23/09 10:15 PM (permalink)
                          EatingTheRoad

dannybotz, you have those in N.J. too!?

Those things are real? I tought it was a Wackypack :eek:

trolasater

• Total Posts: 71
                            Re:Snacks that should be brought back Thu, 12/24/09 1:00 AM (permalink)
                            In the 1960s, there was a corn snack like Cheetos called Flings. I think that there were several flavors, all of which were neutral flavored (sort of like grits) and dusted with powdered flavoring. The one that I remember eating the most was "Swiss and Ham". It wasn't too strong and didn't stain your hands and mouth orange like Cheetos. There was also a Cheetos clone called Cornettes. I remember Cornettes as being harder than Cheetos, almost like pork rinds. Flings were like baked Cheetos.

My Mother used to buy very flat sliced almond cookies named "Jan Hagels". They had the almonds and lots of granulated sugar on one side only and were stacked flat like graham crackers. Very good. I recently saw a similar cookie called Dutch Bar cookies - poor imitation - very few sliced almonds and a miserly sprinkling of sugar.

When they tore down an old building in downtown Durham, NC (next to Clark and Sorrell's on Foster Street), a painted ad was found on an adjacent wall. It had a fighting rooster wearing boxing gloves on its' feet and read "Drink Spur!" Was Spur a soft drink, near beer or what?

Is orange Tru-Aid still made? It and Hawaiian Punch (red) were the only non-carbonated soft drinks that I can remember,except for Brownie Chocolate. I can barely remember Grape Tru-Aid. It didn't last long.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                              RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 03/14/10 11:59 AM (permalink)
                              Well, happy to say I'm finding whipped Reese's now, first at some small grocery stores, now CVS and Dollar Tree has them.  

I also found Mars bars at a Wal Mart check out, actually labeled as a Mars bar, but was surprised - maybe my memory isn't very good, but was expecting something else,was surprised ar how many nuts were in it, and was expecting it to be more nougat coated with a dark chocolate.  Have they changed the recipe?  

kevaxe2k2

• Total Posts: 85
                                RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 03/15/10 4:54 PM (permalink)
                                Hostess Choco-Bliss
                                Josta soda
                                Cracker Jack Cereal
                                Hi-C Ecto Cooler
                                Hostess Blueberry Pies
                                Capn Crunch OOPS All Berries
                                Kellog's OJs

therbs

• Total Posts: 12
                                  RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 03/15/10 8:44 PM (permalink)
                                  Powerhouse candy bars. Freakies cereal. Barrel Head root beer.
                                  anything Strohs when the brewery was in Detroit. ESPECIALLY strohs
                                  bock, and the dark beer.  yummo

GenuineNerd

• Total Posts: 2
                                    RE: Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 07/7/10 7:15 PM (permalink)
                                    catsnharps

Girl Scout cookies were originally made by Educator.  There were also cookies sold under the Educator name.  Educator was eventually sold, I believe, to Burry's.  I don't know when "Little Brownie" came in.

Educator also made snack crackers under the "Beer Chasers" and "Scotch Chasers" names.  I haven't seen these since the early 1970's.  They were both cheese crackers, although when I first saw the "Beer Chasers" name, I originally thought the crackers tasted like beer...and would get you drunk like beer, but "Beer Chasers" are just cheese crackers, a lot like Cheez-It's.  I remember that my mother found Beer Chasers at a Lawson Milk Company store (we lived in Bedford, OH at the time.)  Lawson's also once sold milk in glass jugs.

GenuineNerd

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 07/7/10 7:22 PM (permalink)
                                      Diner-Lover

[id="quote"]quote: [id="quote"]Originally posted by Ranger Steve

Fizzies need to be brought back. The originals were made with cyclamates, but once that artificial sweetner was banned, Fizzies were discontinued. Apparently, no other artificial sweetener holds together in tablet form.

[id="quote"]
                                      I also grew up with Fizzies. I don't remember being that crazy about the taste; they seemed inferior to real soda like Coke or Pepsi to my 5 year-old palate. We get the Vermont Country Store catalogue fairly regularly and I thought I'd seen Fizzies for sale there. A search in their online catalogue shows they are available:

Kool-Aid now has a Fizzies knockoff called "Kool-Aid Fun Fizz", available wherever Kool-Aid is sold.  They do taste similar to Fizzies, but the tablets are smaller, so they can be dropped in a water bottle.  However, once the tablet is dissolved, it doesn't keep its fizz as long as the old Fizzies. 

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
                                        RE: Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 07/7/10 8:05 PM (permalink)
                                        I bought some orange Fizzies last week at The 99¢ Only Store here in the Los Angeles area.

I remember not liking them but I had to buy them for my brother.

kaszeta

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Wed, 07/7/10 8:28 PM (permalink)
                                          enginecapt

Hostess chocolate pies

I practically lived through junior high school on Hostess Chocolate Pudding Pies.

Tasty Dogs

• Total Posts: 394
                                            RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 08/15/10 2:30 AM (permalink)
                                            Black Cow Suckers!

obxmp4

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sat, 08/6/11 10:22 PM (permalink)
                                              Fudgetown cookies made by burry,,,,,,,,,not in buisness anymore i think

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                                RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 08/7/11 2:31 AM (permalink)
                                                Jersey Girl

Turkish Taffy - Vanilla and Banana. Chocolate and Strawbery were just 'ok'.

Turkish Taffy is available:
                                                http://www.groovycandies.com/pc/candypage.asp?idCategory=519&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_term=101-0000002761

ladygodiva

• Total Posts: 96
                                                  RE: Snacks that should be brought back Sun, 08/7/11 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                                  Hershey Sweet Escapes, about 15 years ago,  the one that was like a diet version of Kit Kat bars, does anyone know if any other company makes these

also Choco-lite, as in the orignial post by Frogger67
                                                  <message edited by ladygodiva on Sun, 08/7/11 2:32 PM>

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                                                    RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 08/8/11 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                                    Reggie bars! I was probably 5 or 6 when they came out, and always begged for one when we'd go to the store.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 398
                                                      • Location: Snellville, GA
                                                      RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 08/8/11 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                                      Fawn sodas, sold in western NY in the late 60's
                                                      Necco candies
                                                      Charley's Chips when they came in a big tin container and was even delivered if you lived in town
                                                      The little wax bottles with sugar water in them!
                                                      Genessee Beer

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                                        • Location: Newberry, FL
                                                        RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 08/8/11 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                                        Necco's are all over Gainesville, FL.  We even still get the candy hearts for Valentines's Day

ladygodiva

RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 08/8/11 7:09 PM (permalink)
                                                          kevincad

Fawn sodas, sold in western NY in the late 60's
                                                          Necco candies
                                                          Charley's Chips when they came in a big tin container and was even delivered if you lived in town
                                                          The little wax bottles with sugar water in them!
                                                          Genessee Beer

´╗┐have you tried Vermont Country Store, they have all sorts of goodies, Candies, cookies, cakes, chocolates, nuts, and  much much more, they have Necco's, Charley's Chips, the Wax Bottles with sugar water in them

ladygodiva

• Location: Akron, OH
                                                            RE: Snacks that should be brought back Mon, 08/8/11 7:14 PM (permalink)
                                                            also, in Spring 2008, Godiva came out the Orange Sherbert Truffles, fantastic, does anyone know if anyone makes anything close to it?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 11, messages 271 to 300 of 323

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com