Favorite style and name brand of pretzel

Cheeseburger
2006/09/21 14:54:19
Style: Soft or hard? Traditional "bow" pretzels, rods, mini, nuggets, thin sticks? Thin or sour dough hard?

And your favorite name brand?

Snyder's Pretzel rods seem to be the tastiest to me.
I could eat an entire bag in one sitting.

CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 15:49:57
Snyders sourdough hard - YUMMY!!!
Snyders Sourdough nuggets - YUMMY!!!
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 15:59:06
the soft pretzels from the street vendors in philly
with mustard of course!
Ginger9909
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 17:12:13
I prefer the hard pretzels. I used to eat either Snyders or Utz but found the best ones are made in Lancaster, PA Dutch Country or the surrounding area such as Kutztown. We usually visit yearly and I stock up on the hard pretzels to bring back home with us. These are truly the best hard pretzels around and I WILL NOT buy Snyders or Utz unless I am really desperate and run out of the others. The two which I really like are Hammonds ( http://hammondspretzels.com/) and Uncle Henry's (http://www.unclehenry.com/store/), although the Dutch Country does have some other companies that also make them that I havent tried. I also order pretzels year round at either of these two places through mail order and the delivery is very fast (within 3 days I have them).
Ginger9909
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 17:13:55
I forgot to add I have a very bad hard pretzel addiction. I actually crave hard pretzels and soda all the time and especially in the middle of the night its just so bad
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 17:18:12
I don't like the ones that taste "buttery". They are usually lighter in color.
Theedge
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 17:21:45
I'm not sure of the brand. But the ladies here at work get the sour dough small staight ones. They then coat them in Orville Redenbacher buttery popcorn oil and dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix. They are too too good.
jmckee
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 17:40:25
quote:
Originally posted by cajunking

My wife never met a pretzel she didn't like. But she is partial to the Big Snyders of Hanover sourdough hard pretzels. And we all like the little flavored Snyder nibblers.

I think what Vickie really likes is salt. She'll send me to the grocery for Husman's (local brand) pretzel "loops", which are loaded with salt. I know the drill: Hold each bag up to the light and pick the one where the pretzels seem most NaCl-encrusted.

There's even a shorthand name. When she jots them on the grocery list for me, they're known as "cardiac pretzels."
Fieldthistle
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 19:13:52
Hello All,
Hate to be predictable, but I love Snyder's, but always thick and salty.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Doatsie82
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 19:32:07
As a child in the 60's & 70's my favorites were Bachmann - traditional pretzel shape or the O's. The most important thing for me now is the color. They have to be a rich, deep, dark brown. So many pretzles these days are way too pale and undercooked.

My favorite thing to do is get the Snyders rods and a container of Kaukauna chedder. Instant do it yourself "Combos"! Only better!
Jennifer_4
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 20:44:24
I love the big soft ones.. I also loved the discontinued Rold Gold "special thins", they seemed kind of flaky... and of course the Snyder's Honey Mustard n Onion flavored bits..
xannie_01
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 20:49:19
my favorite used to be mr. salty extra thin pretzels.
guess i'm showing how long it's been since i bought pretzels
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/21 23:20:29
No doubt.

The answer is Unique.

That's it. Unique Pretzels, Reading PA. Splits.

Med-thin, hard, very crunchy, the "split" it that the doubt splits into a sort or ridge when it cooks, makes extra cruncy texture. Fabulous taste too for "winter wheat".

I like plain splits, but of course there is also cheese, "extra dark" (ie- burnt), butter, salt-free, oat bran, whole wheat, jalapeno cheddar, salt-free, "minis"

Go To: www.uniquesplits.com immediately!!!!
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 04:34:43
quote:
Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com

I don't like the ones that taste "buttery". They are usually lighter in color.
I dont like those either and thats all i have been able to find lately.... I dunno if they stopped making the good ones or what!!! (I liked the darker colored ones better,they tasted better)
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 06:02:15
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

my favorite used to be mr. salty extra thin pretzels.
guess i'm showing how long it's been since i bought pretzels
That's a memory jogger. My grandfather used to always have those around and would let us pig out on them to our heart's content.
I hadn't thought of Mr Salty in years.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 07:31:25
When in Seattle have a soft pretzel from Morning Star Bakery (also available at Pike's Market at Sister's Bakery ... not actually a bakery, they sell the best of all bakeries in town.)

This is the best soft pretzel I've ever eaten.

RubyRose
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 08:16:55
I like hard pretzels. My favorite kind is Martin's hand twisted, with Uncle Henry's running a close second. I also like Faller's pretzel sticks, preferably the rare "doubles", which is a bag of mutant stuck-together sticks. They are only available in a few places, like at Renninger's Farmers' Market in Kutztown PA.

I am always saddened when I travel to other areas of the U.S. and can only find those wimpy, shiny things called pretzels outside of the Mid-Atlantic "pretzel belt".
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 09:19:51
I am happy to report that the Mr.Salty thin pretzel sticks are alive and well, but under a different name(which escapes me at this sleepy moment)I have gotten them at Piggly Wiggly stores.I will let you know the brand later......[|)]
tarragon
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 10:20:48
While I'd love to have the soft pretzels from the street vendors in Philly, it's rarely that I get to have one of them (and they must be dressed with mustard!). As for hard pretzels...I'm the sweet 'n salty person, so I usually have my pretzels with ice cream (don't laugh until you've tried it! ), and for that I prefer the thin sticks. *laughs* I know, it doesn't seem to make much sense, but that's what I like with my ice cream! Other pretzel favorites are the buttery ones and the windowpane ones (my foggy brain can't recall what brand, but I think it's Snyders). Delish!
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 14:25:04
Shultz' "Salty Stix". Unfortunately I have to order them on the 'net. I have also taken a liking to Rold Gold Honey Wheat.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 14:37:58
Thank you Joisey-those are the ones!!LET me know what you are paying and maybe it would be cheaper for me to send them to you...I WOULD BE HAPPY TO...Ann
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 16:21:18
I love soft, fresh from the oven, pretzels with melted butter and garlic. They are a rare treat because I usually only get them at our airport, which has a Auntie Anne's in the food court, when I travel.

Back in the day; Keebler made a hard, small, butter-flavored pretzel. Those were good.

Small, hard pretzel rings aren't bad dipped in french onion dip.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 16:41:41
Snyders Honey Mustard pieces........
xannie_01
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 17:09:05
thanks, joisey and ann
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 18:14:34
I just tried some "San Francisco Pretzel Company" Sourdough Specials. They're light and airy and have good flavor. Marketed by Costco or Sam's. The label says "Manufactured for San Fran Pretzel Co" so I guess that means someone else is making them for them.
Don't know who
phlmaestro2000
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 18:34:24
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

No doubt.

The answer is Unique.

Seconded. A friend of mine used to put them out when he's have guests and I've been a loyal fan every since. They're far and away my top choice for hard pretzels.

I also love the various soft pretzel places that have popped up in recent years around the Philly area. They tend to be fresher and hotter than the ones sold on the street.
ken8038
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 18:57:07
<<That's it. Unique Pretzels, Reading PA. Splits.>>

The Extra Dark Splits are my all-time favorite pretzel. They only turn up sporadically in Central NJ, so if I'm over the border in Pa I stock up with 5 or 6 bags to take home. --Ken
Ginger9909
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/22 19:42:11
Do the Unique Splits come in the big hard pretzels? I went to the website but it only showed regular sized pretzels (hard to tell the size but they looked small).
stephiegirl
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/23 00:53:10
I love just about any kind of pretzel. I LOVE the big, soft pretzels with butter on them and a little salt and I also really love the Rold Gold butter pretzels. They are round but look like a waffle. Also, HotDogHead I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I love eating pretzels and french onion chip dip. When I was in college my roommates used to laugh at me for eating them this way until they tried it and then they were hooked. I also like dipping my pretzels in Frito Lay's Jalepeno Cheddar Dip. YUMMY!!!
soozycue520
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/23 01:15:10
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

I think what Vickie really likes is salt. She'll send me to the grocery for Husman's (local brand) pretzel "loops", which are loaded with salt. I know the drill: Hold each bag up to the light and pick the one where the pretzels seem most NaCl-encrusted.

There's even a shorthand name. When she jots them on the grocery list for me, they're known as "cardiac pretzels."

I think these are "Grippo's", not Husman's.
They are dark, and SALTY!!! Great drinking pretzel!!

http://www.grippopotatochips.com/store/index.html
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/23 10:59:10
quote:
Originally posted by Ginger9909

Do the Unique Splits come in the big hard pretzels? I went to the website but it only showed regular sized pretzels (hard to tell the size but they looked small).

They are medium sized, about the size of regular hard thick pretzels. (They do make a mini size, but the regular size is regular sized (duh). They are only thin-ish because the "splits" shape makes ridges and then they are a bit thicker. And delicious (a special taste)

Why order some and give us a review here!?

P.S. (I do not work for Unique of have any financial interest in the company, I am just an addict)
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/26 16:13:21
Another vote for "Uniques" here! And I've eaten LOTS of varieties and brands of pretzels over my 50 years-- sticks, rods, soft, hard, thins, rounds, flavored-- you name it. Uniques are the best!
Rusty246
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/26 16:17:08
Salty Stix all the way, plenty available here. There is a rather large thread on the board dedicated to his already guys.
fabulousoyster
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/26 20:53:46
DinerLover, I'll have to look for that brand! I like sourdough pretzels.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/27 21:31:53
Although I have pledged my allegience to Unique Splits, today I passed the Union Square Farmer's Market (NYC) and got a bag of Martin's. I'd forgotten about them. They are a nice crunchy traditional hard pretzel with some nice rigdes and burnt edges, tho a little too much salt. The good part is you can buy it by the "baggie" : $1 for 4 pretzels, $2 for 8, as well as larger bags. They also sell price-off bags of broken pretzels, which are fine. Just right for when you only want a fewfor a snack, not a full bag. I think they are from PA or upstate NY but I've only seen their product at the farmer's markey, not in stores.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/27 21:47:06
For fans of Unique Splits in the Delaware area, there is a snck shop in the Booth Corners Farm Market that sells large bags ery reasonably.
this is in Boothwyn, PA, just over the border.
Wingster
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/09/27 22:21:48
Trader Joe's Honey Whole Wheat pretzel sticks, Wetzel's Pretzel's garlic butter parmesan pretzel, parmesan Costco pretzels (though I haven't seen them for a while)
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/10/03 18:08:20
quote:
Originally posted by stephiegirl

I love just about any kind of pretzel. I LOVE the big, soft pretzels with butter on them and a little salt and I also really love the Rold Gold butter pretzels. They are round but look like a waffle. Also, HotDogHead I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I love eating pretzels and french onion chip dip. When I was in college my roommates used to laugh at me for eating them this way until they tried it and then they were hooked. I also like dipping my pretzels in Frito Lay's Jalepeno Cheddar Dip. YUMMY!!!

I'm going to try that Jalapeno cheddar dip with mine. That sounds awesome. Thanks for the tip.
RookieCAF
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/10/03 19:18:37
The Frito Lay Jalapeno Cheddar Dip is great with Pretzels. I like Utz Special Darks myself
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/10/12 13:59:18
I love a good warm pretzel, soft, chewy & salty, dipped in that bright orange "cheese".

I wish we had a place around here that makes them, the local inconvience store has a warmer box that they put frozen pretzels in and turn on the heat lamp, but YUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!

Last week we had our local farmer's fair, and there was a vendor making real pretzels. In the 4 days of the fair I had 14 of their large pretzels.

too bad the fair isnt year round
rongmtek
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/10/12 14:51:19
Pretzels from any street-corner cart in NYC were always the best (my favorite, anyway), but they changed some years ago. I suspect a new, centralized vendor and could they now come frozen for commercial convenience???
In those charcoal warmers, next to the chestnuts- ahh, what a treat. I would always ask for one "burnt just a little".
But since I can't get 'em anymore, I will vote for a packaged pretzel-UTZ'S EXTRA DARK. The best of the supermarket offerings, by my taste.
Ginger9909
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/10/13 10:57:22
I listed my answer previously but have recently found my new favorite pretzel. Martins Hard Pretzels. If you are a true hard pretzel fan you will absolutely love these. These are the best I have ever tasted. They are very very crunchy and have a very nice taste to them. They are well worth the money. You can mail order them at Martinspretzels.com. They have been advertised on food network and various ads and now I have tasted them they are 100% true.
salsailsa
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2006/10/13 11:41:25
I love Neal Brothers Multigrain pretzel nuggets. Am also fond of the President's Choice Blue Menu Multigrain waffle pretzels.

Sourdough pretzel nuggets from Bulk Barn are also good.

As for soft pretzels, nothing comes close to a bavarian soft pretzel stuffed with unsalted butter from a bakery in Germany.
Bakette
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2007/09/14 17:43:06
Hi FOODBME We have a website now. sanfranciscopretzel.com glad you like our pretzels
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

I just tried some "San Francisco Pretzel Company" Sourdough Specials. They're light and airy and have good flavor. Marketed by Costco or Sam's. The label says "Manufactured for San Fran Pretzel Co" so I guess that means someone else is making them for them.
Don't know who
pretzelman
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2008/06/18 10:58:53
If you want salty then try Unique Pretzels Extra Salt "Splits". They are the best if you are a salt lover. They would make a deer thirsty. Unique's regular "Splits" are great too. Based in Reading, PA it is hard to get them outside of the northeast, but you can get them at uniquesplits.com. Your wife will never eat another pretzel I promise.

quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by cajunking

My wife never met a pretzel she didn't like. But she is partial to the Big Snyders of Hanover sourdough hard pretzels. And we all like the little flavored Snyder nibblers.

pretzelman
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2008/06/18 11:02:09
quote:

No doubt.

The answer is Unique.

Med-thin, hard, very crunchy, the "split" it that the doubt splits into a sort or ridge when it cooks, makes extra cruncy texture. Fabulous taste too for "winter wheat".

I like plain splits, but of course there is also cheese, "extra dark" (ie- burnt), butter, salt-free, oat bran, whole wheat, jalapeno cheddar, salt-free, "minis"

Ageed! They are the best pretzel there is!!! Order on-line and try their mustards too. droool droooool

uniquesplits.com
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2008/06/18 15:23:00
quote:
Originally posted by pretzelman

quote:

No doubt.

The answer is Unique.

Ageed! They are the best pretzel there is!!! Order on-line and try their mustards too. droool droooool

uniquesplits.com

And I guess with your name, we can trust you!
Wolftrout
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2008/06/19 16:36:47
I haven't seen any WEGE'S references A bag of Wege's broken Hard Pretzels is a wonderful thing. But the best (to me) is a small, very localized pretzel - Shuey's, in Lebanon. Unless things have changed since I lived there, they were sold on Saturday morning only. Somewhere around E. Guilford / Weidman / Lehman Sts??? (Any Lebanon folk out there to help me out? Its been 19 years since I lived there!)
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2009/08/05 13:22:13
Are shultz salty stix still being manufactured?  The shultz website has been down for a while.  also haven't been able to order them via Amazon.
blinky193
Hamburger
RE: Favorite style and name brand of pretzel 2009/08/05 13:51:39
My absolute favorite are Auntie Anne's pretzels at the mall.  I also really like Snyder's "dipping sticks" pretzels, the large sourdough pretzels, and the little tiny pretzels Troyer Farms makes and sells in those big long bags.