Sabrett Products

Junior Burger
2006/09/25 13:56:04
I miss and love Sabrett red onion sauce from NYC! I can't find it where I am (DC area). Has anyone seen it in the stores?!?!?[/size=5]
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/09/25 14:59:50
here's a start:

http://www.pirylis.com/newyorkflavor/newyork_alacart.html

not sure if he has the red but he will get it for you.

i saw somebody selling that online...will see if its in my bookmarks.

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/09/26 02:03:39
quote:
Originally posted by sigmagrrl

I miss and love Sabrett red onion sauce from NYC! I can't find it where I am (DC area). Has anyone seen it in the stores?!?!?

If you find it in the DC area please post back with that info.

MikeS.
genewj
Cheeseburger
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/09/26 04:05:36
B.J.'s has it at 6.50 for 8oz jar.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/09/26 06:55:03
You can always try to make your own... http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=92
dirtdog58
Junior Burger
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/09/29 18:47:33
belive it or not but walmart carries it in their super center's
gschwim
Cheeseburger
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/10/01 17:01:31
Here's another, highly-rated, recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/95019
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/12/25 20:27:12
Sam's Club sells the NY Style Onions. Also as mentioned above plus www.sabrett.com
Boars Head has a version as well, pretty good!!

Good luck,
Matt
tmizerek
Hamburger
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/12/25 21:12:55
I just received my order of Sabrett dogs and a 3 lb Taylor Pork Roll from http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/

Good service and prices.
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/12/29 06:50:15
I remember during the early 90's someone introduced me to a Sabrett type hot dog called House Of Weenies or something like that? Does anyone remember this and the name?
David_NYC
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/12/29 14:33:52
House O' Weenies was one of the main brands of Marathon Enterprises, Inc. Their plant is still in the Bronx. They even used to sell "House O' Weenies" frankfurters in supermarkets in the New York Metro area, as well as to food service customers. Eventually, Marathon bought Sabrett. There was an article in the newspaper stating that Marathon would start calling their products Sabrett because of better brand recognition. I saw this painted building sign for many years:
http://www.14to42.net/33street2.html

Before the merger, both brands seemed to me somewhat similar in the food service versions. Like Sabrett, House O' Weenies had point of sale advertising material. Possibly even hot dog pushcart umbrellas.

I haven't seen any House O' Weenies products lately, and a basic search on the Federal Patent and Trademark Office's website show House O' Weenies is a "dead" rademark.
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/12/29 18:35:10
Thanks for the information, I was't dreaming... I believe he purchased them from a place called Poritsky's Meat somewhere around NYC, possibly Westchester. We even had an Admar hot dog cart to sell the dogs.

Matt
ScreenBear
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/12/29 20:19:43
I'm surprised that they dropped the House of Weenies name when they bought them out. The trend now, from clothes to franks, is multi-branding, whether the product is exactly the same or not.

Though I don't specifically recall ever having a House of Weenies frank, I've met hot dog enthusiasts who simply wax ad nauseam over the virtues of that particular brand. Why cut them out?

The Bear
MBFDFyre
Cheeseburger
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/12/30 08:10:27
Its funny this topic came back up cause I was about to start a thread about the same thing. I was in my local Hannafords the other day and noticed one jar of Sabrett's onion sauce(it didn't say red onion so I don't know if its the same product or not) Anywho, there was only one jar left and the label was half off and had some weird chalky, powdery substance all over it. Since I've never had the product before, the fact the jar looked so bad I decided not to buy. Should I have bought it? I cut up regular onions and throw them on my dogs all the time. It kinda looked like slimey onions but I guess maybe thats what its suppose to look like. Never seen the stuff before.
Cheeseburger
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/12/30 09:23:53
Red onion sauce is worth trying IMO. It IS different than raw or cooked onions on your 'dog. But don't buy that jar at Hannaford!
(whose Hannaford doesn't carry the stuff, but the big Wallyworld down the road does)
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sabrett Products 2006/12/30 13:29:01
I served gallons of the stuff for years but never tried it on my hot dogs! Who'd figure. It smells good though and I am sure it would taste good. As for the "Slimey" comment, it is thick and is a pain to clean the bottom of pots after reducing all day on a steam table LOL!!

SAM's club and Wallyworld sell Sabrett onions. A good deli will sell Boars Head brand Onion and sauce. Boars Head has less sauce than the Sabrett.

Check em out!

Happy New Year!!

Matt
www.mattsdoghouse.com
ScreenBear
RE: Sabrett Products 2009/02/18 20:44:34
David NYC, this post is for you. You seem to have a good handle on such things.

I was at the Garden (MSG) recently to see the Dog Show and couldn't help notice the prevalence of billboards, postcard in motif, advertising the Sabrett Coney Combo...a hot dog enclosed in a knish.

I immediately wished one. However, not one vendor had one...and in fact, said one food server, she hadn't even seen one yet. 

I remember occasional, small private label and deli offerings of this comestble in my childhood. In some markets it was referred to as a Hush Puppy...not to be confused with the Southern delicacy. 

My Googling has gotten me nowhere. Know anything about the roll out of this product and whatever happened to it? 

The ads in the Garden are ubiquitous.  Thanks. 

The Bear

David_NYC
RE: Sabrett Products 2009/02/19 12:05:10
ScreenBear:
I found this in a frozen food industry magazine:
"
"Coney Combos
Frankly Foods debuts Coney Combos—full size, Sabrett hot dogs embedded in a pillow of potato knish wrapped in a traditional golden crust. Named after New York’s Coney Island, the hot dog and knish mecca for generations, Coney Combos are fully cooked and ready to heat. They come in Original, Hot ‘n Spicy and Chorizo varieties. Packed two to a 12.5-ounce carton and 12 to the master case, the products carry a suggested retail price of $3.49. "

Here is a blog entry from a year ago, but the company's web site is now gone:
http://www.scoreboardgourmet.com/2008/01/coney-combos-sa.html

Some of the Kosher supermarkets in Brooklyn as still advertising them from Steeplechase Foods.
http://www.junkfoodblog.com/2005/12/steeplechase-coney-combos.html

I am unable to confirm they are still in production anymore. There is no listing for them in the phone book.
ScreenBear
RE: Sabrett Products 2009/02/19 17:14:17
Thanks, David. This is a curious one.

The Bear