Best Cheese Strudel In Chicagoland?

Junior Burger
2006/09/30 13:22:33
Does anyone remember AL'S BAKERY on 69th Street, a half block east of Damen Avenue in Chicago which closed (possibly moved) in the early 1970's? It was next to the radio and tv repair shop. Al and his crew made some cheese strudel that was out of this world and I've yet to find anything to compare.

From time to time over the years, I've been searched to find a bakery that could come close to making cheese strudel like Al's. I've tried mainly German, Polish and Bohemian bakeries. Heck, I even tried a Greek bakery. I've gone into minute detail describing what I wanted but no one seems to listen instead of creating a cheese strudel as described, they bake whatever they want.

I guess we can break down strudel into two basic components, the crust and the filling. The crust was light and flakey on the top and sides. Once baked, it had a dark color. The bottom had a 3/8" or so thick dough insert that supported the very dense and heavy cheese filling. It was covered in powered sugar. While strudel rarely survived more than a few hours at our house, if it last overnight, the thick bottom crust would absorb all of the sugars that ran down and became very gooey. It was always better the second day. The filling was extremely thick, moist and very cheesy. No air whipped into Al's cheese filling. No lemon juice or other cheap/horrible substitutes that bakers put into cheese filling to cut costs by reducing the amount of real cheese.

I don't think I'm asking for much. Price is no object, I just want to have some really, really GOOD cheese strudel.

With all of the pastry fans I see here on roadfood.com, I know there's someone who can help me find the best cheese Strudel in the Chicagoland area!!