Where to eat in Akron, Ohio?

Sirloin
2006/10/02 16:44:19
Looks like I'm headed to Akron, Ohio for a couple of days.
Really don't want to go but, It's business.
Can anyone suggest some "good food" restaurants?
Restaurants where the food doesn't taste like "burn't rubber"? (lol)
Thanks in advance.
mountain traveler
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/02 22:51:05
You better pack some food.... Nobody knows how to cook around here anymore.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/03 04:30:43
Twin,

Due to some nerve damage/pain in my right arm making it difficult to type at length, I have been taking a break from posting restaurant reviews in the Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour 2006 thread over in the Miscellaneous-Food Related Forum. However, I was getting ready to write up something for Akron that just might be of interest if you're partial to Eastern European/Hungarian/Slavic food.

We discovered New Era Cafe, 10 Massillon Road, in Akron, (330) 784-0087, back in July (I'll do a full write up in the above mentioned thread in the near future). New Era is an Akron institution dating back to 1938. Three of us shared Chicken Paprikash, Roast Duck with stuffing and mashed potatoes, and an order of Grilled Cevapi; a skinless hand rolled sausage, not unlike kefta kabobs in Middle Eastern cuisine. All three dishes were excellent and wonderfully flavorful.

If you enjoy this type of food, I highly recommend New Era Cafe!

Buddy
buckeye1
Hamburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/03 23:52:55
Assuming that "good food" isn't some greasy burger joint, Akron does have some "classy cuisine"

LeFever's River Grille is in nearby Cuyahoga Falls, with a view of the river, and has a great seafood/steak menu www.lefeversrivergrille.com

Bricco is right downtown by Canal Park stadium and has excellent Italian pastas. www.briccoakron.com

Ken Stewart's Grill in West Akron and Ken Stewart's Lodge in suburban Bath Twp are probably the tops in town. (Shamelessly stolen from Northern Ohio Live) - For 15 years, Ken Stewart's has been synonymous with fine dining in Akron. The elegant dining room, characterized by etched glass and rich colors, provides a setting that's as sumptuous as the food. Diners can treat themselves to beluga caviar and market-price lobster, or choose from an array of other seafood, poultry and meat dishes, as well as a couple of vegetarian entrees (grilled vegetable platter or penne with artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts and feta). Among the most popular dishes are the Japanese shrimp (wrapped in shredded phyllo and served with a sweet soy glaze), cashew-crusted chicken and filet mignon. The extensive menu is augmented daily by two dozen specials that are available at lunch and dinner. (NO WEBSITE)

On the other hand, if a burger is what you're craving, hit the nearest Swenson's and turn on your headlights for service.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/04 01:18:42
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

Twin,

Due to some nerve damage/pain in my right arm making it difficult to type at length, I have been taking a break from posting restaurant reviews in the Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour 2006 thread over in the Miscellaneous-Food Related Forum. However, I was getting ready to write up something for Akron that just might be of interest if you're partial to Eastern European/Hungarian/Slavic food.

We discovered New Era Cafe, 10 Massillon Road, in Akron, (330) 784-0087, back in July (I'll do a full write up in the above mentioned thread in the near future). New Era is an Akron institution dating back to 1938. Three of us shared Chicken Paprikash, Roast Duck with stuffing and mashed potatoes, and an order of Grilled Cevapi; a skinless hand rolled sausage, not unlike kefta kabobs in Middle Eastern cuisine. All three dishes were excellent and wonderfully flavorful.

If you enjoy this type of food, I highly recommend New Era Cafe!

Buddy

Yummo! Where have I heard that used before?
jbenear
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/09 14:55:49
o.k...I live in Akron. It's not that bad! Here are my suggestions:

For burgers: Louie's Bar and Grille in Cuyahoga Falls
To die for burgers and fries.

For Italian: Dontino's in Cuyahoga Falls
They make great homemade noodles but my favorite is the veal. Yum.

For pizza: Luigi's downtown
You also need to order the salad with cheese.

For Chinese: Ricky Ly's at Belden Village
He makes great sushi also.

For American: Rockne's (lots of places)
This is a small local chain that has great food. Salads and sandwiches mostly.

There are also a lot of little restaurants at Highland Square just past downtown that are good.

For upscale I would do Ken Stewarts or Hyde Park Grille. Both are pretty pricey though.

I hope this helps!

Julie

NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/09 21:46:54
Not exactly on Akron foods, but a few years ago MAD magazine did a great spoof on a local newspaper. It was called the "Democrat/Republican" from Dacron, Ohio.
In the "food" section, it featured winter BBQ (in the snow) and exotic international cuisine from Canada.
Pogo
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/10 20:36:25
I will second Luigi's and the salad with cheese.
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/11 00:45:40
quote:
Originally posted by jbenear

There are also a lot of little restaurants at Highland Square just past downtown that are good.

For upscale I would do Ken Stewarts or Hyde Park Grille. Both are pretty pricey though.

I hope this helps!

Julie

Hey there, jbenear. Years ago- app. 1989 to 1990, I lived in Cuyahoga Falls, and friends and family and I used to frequent a restaurant/ diner/burger joint on Front St. I remember lots of cops always being there (No- they didn't sell donuts!) and a huge burger that I could never finish. Do you know if that joint is still there, and if so, what's it called?

Thanks!
buckeye1
Hamburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/11 01:08:56
You sure that it was on Front? Rockne's is only a block or so off Front, on Hudson Drive by the Route 8 onramp and they're famous for the following burger:

Max the Knife™
More than a pound of double dangerous, double double decker. So big we have to use a knife to hold it together. Four fresh beef patties smothered with melted cheese and topped with shredded lettuce, pickle, onions and our secret sauce, all layered in a grilled buttered triple bun.*

Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/11 08:52:01
For some great Pizza while in the area (my ex-in-laws used to live in the area), I've always had good luck from one of the best joints around.

Guiseppe's Pizza
14 E Caston Rd
Akron, OH 44319
(330) 644-8842

bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/11 16:30:59
quote:
Originally posted by buckeye1

You sure that it was on Front? Rockne's is only a block or so off Front, on Hudson Drive by the Route 8 onramp and they're famous for the following burger:

Max the Knife™
More than a pound of double dangerous, double double decker. So big we have to use a knife to hold it together. Four fresh beef patties smothered with melted cheese and topped with shredded lettuce, pickle, onions and our secret sauce, all layered in a grilled buttered triple bun.*

Actually, it was on State Rd, not Front St, and it wasn't a chain restaurant.
buckeye1
Hamburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/22 03:32:53
Jim Bob - By the hospital? By the Ernest Angley Cathedral Buffet? Which part of State Rd?
mountain traveler
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/23 04:12:59
quote:

Jim Bob - By the hospital? By the Ernest Angley Cathedral Buffet? Which part of State Rd?

Since he said the police ate there frequently, maybe it was the old Lujans by the Cathedral Buffet? I've lived in the Falls all my life and that's the only place I could think of. Lujans was still open in the late 80's and early 90's.
mountain traveler
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/23 04:25:00
quote:
Originally posted by jbenear

I hope this helps!

Julie

I guess that I might have been a little hasty in condemning the restaurants here in Akron. I do like Rockne's and Dontino's. Regarding Chinese, I forgot about House of Hunan in Fairlawn. It's pretty good. I've heard about Louie's burgers and fries but have never tried them. I'll have to do that sometime. I usually go to Whiteys Burgers and Booze in Richfield for my burgers. But that's too far for someone staying in Akron. As far as Luigi's, their pizza is good but way over priced IMO. I prefer Altieri's pizza in Stow but you can only carry-out there. I've heard good things about Ken Stewart's but they are out of my price range. I have eaten at Gus's Chalet on Tallmadge Ave. many times. They have good steaks and early bird specials there. I love their free appetizer plate. The cheese bread is very good. I think they use mayo in it too. Oh and I like El Rincon for Mexican. One location on Arlington in Akron and one in the Falls on Portage Trail. Just for the record, Twinwillow's remark about the food not tasting like burnt rubber hit a nerve. Akron has lost a lot of jobs because the rubber shops moved down south or just went out of business. Goodyear is the only one left. There use to be a lot of good restaurants in Akron during the 50's thru the 70's. I remember the Brown Derby, Sanginiti's, Iacomini's... all gone now.
buckeye1
Hamburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/26 03:13:54
Is there still an Italian place on Triplett Blvd by Fulton Airport and the Rubber Bowl? I remember having a good meal there about a decade ago, but can't come up with the name of the place...
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/27 12:04:27
quote:

It's been a long time, but I think it was just a little past the Cathedral Buffet- turn right out of the buffet, and I think it was on the left side of State.
mountain traveler
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/28 04:32:50
quote:

Is there still an Italian place on Triplett Blvd by Fulton Airport and the Rubber Bowl? I remember having a good meal there about a decade ago, but can't come up with the name of the place...

If you're referring to Cafe Piscitelli , yes it is still there.
mountain traveler
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/28 04:38:19
quote:
Originally posted by bbqjimbob

quote:

It's been a long time, but I think it was just a little past the Cathedral Buffet- turn right out of the buffet, and I think it was on the left side of State.

I still think you're talking about Lujans.
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/10/28 08:52:31
<Not exactly on Akron foods, but a few years ago MAD magazine did a great spoof on a local newspaper. It was called the "Democrat/Republican" from Dacron, Ohio.
In the "food" section, it featured winter BBQ (in the snow) and exotic international cuisine from Canada.>>

Time flies, NYMN, it was actually the late 70's and it was hilarious. Under "Local Fires" they listed this entry: "Bum. 3rd street and Broadway"

Or was it reprinted recently? --Ken
sunnyside up
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2006/11/26 11:53:54
Akron most certainly has a bright new star on the restaurant scene. While it is not roadfood by any stretch of the imagination, it is an absolute delightful place to enjoy superb cooking. The place is called The Big City Chop House, 45 E. Market St. No website as yet, but it is in the works. Menu is exciting to say the least. One the very few restaurants in Ohio that would have five veal entrees on the menu. Oh yes, and the Veal Brier Hill was excellent!
phineasToad
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2007/01/14 17:03:09
Golden Dragon--two separate kitchens and chefs, one for Chinese, one for Japanese. The Chinese is good; the Japanese is outstanding. On State road, north of the St. Thomas hospital. Very locally popular sushi bar. Go there twice and they'll remember darn near everything about you. Read the story about this family owned joint--very inspirational.

Henry Wahners in Kent--German food, very tacky decor, VERY large servings, no credit cards.

French Cafe in Cuyahoga Falls--stunningly good french onion soup and great steak sandwich (not Philly. You'd never stop in unless you knew it. Off of Brittain road north of the mall.

My house--fried pork tenderloin sandwiches. The only place in the akron area, apparently.

jbenear
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2007/02/19 11:01:14
Piscatelli's by the airport is gone now. For the burger question, Swenson's is in the falls but the burger isn't that big. Yummy though!

I take back my earlier sushi comment. Ricky Ly's is good but I tried Sakura Sushi last night in Montrose. WOW! It was great!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2007/05/25 08:29:30
When I was in Akron last weekend, I passed a cool looking little ice cream place called Mary Coyle, located on W. Market Street. Anyone familiar with the place? Should I check it out next time I am in the area?
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2007/05/25 08:53:57
It was a great bakery and ice cream shop when I lived in Akron. But that was 20 years ago.
arik1969
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2007/07/11 03:34:48
Most of the suggestions so far are good. However, I'm not a big fan of Luigi's. The few times I've eaten there I've had average food, at best, slow service,and one of the managers was exceedingly rude. At one time I had a half-cooked pizza. For the portion size, the price is kind of high, as well. I will NEVER go back there again.

For better food at significantly lower prices, my family prefers Parasson's, at several places throughout the city. For really good, cheap carry-out pizza, Emidio's on N.Main at Tallmadge avenue can't be beat, and they are open until 3am. Fiesta Pizza, Which used to be a somewhat bigger chain, still has, for my money, the best pizza in Akron, if a bit more expensive - loads of toppings, which I like.

In Cuyahoga Falls, on State Road, there are 2 great restaurants: Golden Dragon for Chinese/Japanese, with excellent wonton soup, and, for money the best sushi bar around; Just up the road is Raj Mahal, with some of the best Indian food I've had anywhere. A little expensive, but the food is great.

sigmagirl
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2007/07/26 15:41:35
We like Rasicci's Pizza on Cuyahoga Falls Avenue (takeout only). For homemade pasta and excellent service, try Emidio's on State Road north of Graham in Cuyahoga Falls (not the takeout pizza place arik1969 mentioned, but the same family). The ambience is hideous -- it's a former gas station! But you won't pay for it.

Mary Coyle is a nice little ice cream place that's worth a visit, but we prefer Katie's Korner in Kent or Handel's on State Road in Cuyahoga Falls or on Graham Road in Stow.

Also: I agree with the suggestions about Swenson's burgers. The burgers are small but great; I'm not too impressed with the fries but their onion rings are wonderful.

I second the motion about House of Hunan: Their food used to be terribly bland, and I'd have to dump soy sauce all over it just to get it to taste like something, but they've picked things up. Also with Gus' Chalet; good fish.

In downtown Akron, there are Crave and Bricco restaurants, where I have been only for lunch, but have been very pleased. There is a small chain called Luna's that is always reliable: large menu with a slight Middle Eastern flair (falafel, etc.) but something to please everyone.

In the Montrose area, near the S.R. 18-I-71 intersection, you'll find "Restaurant Hill": mostly chains, but a fine local Mexican restaurant called Tres Potrillos. Not the same-old.

Also to arik's mention of Raj Mahal's Indian food, there is a Korean restaurant probably a couple of blocks away. I think it's called Seoul Garden or Seoul Palace. Been there only once as my husband didn't like it, but I was happy with what I got.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2007/07/26 15:45:54
Even though it isn't exactly Roadfood, I was wondering what the locals think about The Tangier. A guy I work with loves the place and drives the 1 1/2 hours about once a month to eat there.
smarchit
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2007/07/26 18:01:53
Another worthwhile place to check out in the Akron area is Mike's Place in Kent. It's a very ecclectic (to put it lightly!) diner style place a few miles north of the I-76 Kent exit (OH State Route 43). It is on the corner where 43 intersects the four lane highway, just outside of the Kent State campus.

The menu itself is diverse, featuring a large array of sandwiches (be sure to visit the 1958 Edsel that has been converted into a burger bar!), various quesadillas and french fry varieties on the appetizer board, bbq, shrimp and generic seafood, as well as many other diner style classics, some with twists added to them. They also cook up some good breakfasts. And for those that are so inclined, there is bar service as well.

As to the decor, sharp sarcasm and wittiness dominates the menu and signage throughout Mike's. You can eat in an old public transit bus that has been converted to dining space, or book a gathering in the Castle. Additionally, there is the aforementioned Edsel that was converted, and numerous other pieces of marvelous tackiness far too numerous to mention. Outside, the prominent features include a full scale model of a Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, the body of the dining bus, an old small train car on a section of tracks, and a random wagon wheel. All this "style" is just the tip of the iceberg. There is no way a sane person put all this together. It is VERY over the top.

It's been at least 5 years since I've been there (maybe even longer), so I honestly can't remember much about the food quality, although I do recall portions being pretty big. The biggest thing that sticks out in my mind to this day is all the over the top tackiness that has always made Mike's Place such a fun place to visit. So prepare yourself if you must, then head on out with a mission of gawking and taking in all of the unique insanity. And who knows? The food just might be half decent as well
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2007/11/18 08:13:02
mr chips-
I was in Akron yesterday, so I stopped in at Mary Coyle for some ice cream. I got a merry mint sundae, which is peppermint chip ice cream, topped with hot fudge. Strangely, that is all that was on it. No whipped cream, cherry or nuts. Still a good sundae, though. I would have greabbed a half-gallon of their homemade ice cream to take home with me, but I had already loaded up on some Graeter's while at West Point Market.

They also have signs that say they were voted as having the best red sauce in the Akron area. So I got an order of spaghetti to go, which was quite good.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2007/11/19 01:14:18
BB, glad to hear Mary Coyle's is still around. I lived in that neighborhood and had ice cream there all the time.
Lewfishy
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2008/01/03 22:32:00
I have lived in Akron for almost 5 years now, and it's a passion of mine to find good local eats. Here are some of my top picks.

Pizza, Gyros, and Subs (carryout or delivery) - Europe Gyro (a few different locations)

Diner Fare - Mike's Place in Kent has one of the biggest sandwich menus I have ever seen in the area.

Middle Eastern Fare - Aladdin's Eatery in Highland Square (even though this is a chain, this particular location is the best and has a few signature dishes like chicken chili [really good})

Tallmadge Family Restaurant decent diner fare, but their new middle eastern menu is very authentic.

Burgers - Swenson's is really good, but a little pricey for the portion size.
I prefer Louie's Bar and Grille in the North Hill area (about 2 1/2 miles away from Chapel Hill Mall)

American - Jordan's Family Restaurant in Uniontown The building's structure looks a little dinky from the outside, but inside it's clean and has friendly service and REALLY GREAT PRICES. Their broasted chicken and fried fish are the highlights, and their homemade bread pudding has an interesting texture, but it's really yummy. (no credit cards)

SRB
Hamburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2008/01/06 08:54:23
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

Even though it isn't exactly Roadfood, I was wondering what the locals think about The Tangier. A guy I work with loves the place and drives the 1 1/2 hours about once a month to eat there.

Actually, I probably would consider Tangiers Roadfood, because it's a local institution that's survived for decades with only minor changes. But I haven't been there in years, so I can't vouch for it these days. As I recall the decor was straight out of the 50's, and the food was pretty good, though probably not exactly authentic Middle Eastern cuisine. It was always considered a special occasion place when I was growing up in North Canton.
CurryLover
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2008/01/26 23:41:55
I live in Copley, just west of Akron. Moved here from Boston, MA, about 9 years ago. Finding ethnic restaurants in this area has been a challenge. Saffron Patch, an Indian restaurant, in the valley has a great daily lunch buffet. Just discovered another culinary jewel, Wafa's - a middle eastern restaurant - in an office building on Embassy Parkway. The food is homemade - stuffed grape leaves, baba ganoosh, tabouli, etc. - no frills, paper plates & plastic silverware - but the food is well worth it. They are only open M-F 7-3pm. We used to like Two Amigos in Highland Square for Mexican but the hispanic cook, Monica, is not there anymore & the food is not good so we have not been there in a good six months. House of Hunan in Medina is another lunch favorite of ours.
CurryLover
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2008/01/28 20:57:47
I posted a message on 1/26 mentioning Two Amigos in Highland Square and today I read in the Akron Beacon Journal that Two Amigos closed in December. Wanted to clarify that rather than give anyone bad and outdated information.
ladygodiva
Hamburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2011/08/09 20:15:46
I did not see this thread either, another good resturant is the Ido Cafe in South Akron, a "dive" but good food at a fair price.

So I will also add what I had in the other thread.
Mary Coyle Ice Cream and Micheal Trecasos resturant on West Market st.  fair prices although small portions. (Be Forwarned)

Whiteys Booze n Burgers, in Richfield OH expensive but worth it.

Golden Corral, the Nightmare, fair prices good portions, a lot of kids running around.

Metroburger,  West Market street, Akron OH, sort of diagonally across from Mary Coyle, a block up., 1/3, 1/2, and 1lb Beef Hamburgers, or Chicken Breasts, or Ground Turkey, or Veggieburger

for ice cream Stricklands they always have vanilla, and chocolate, and a daily flavor of the day

For a good breakfast, Wally Waffles, great belgium waffles, very good portions, the place looks like a dive but the food is fantastic,  they used to open early now they open at 8am to 8pm.. good food

post edited by ladygodiva - 2011/08/09 20:23:29
caitlyn
Junior Burger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2011/09/14 19:59:03
akron doesnt have much to offer. there is vegiterranean on furnace st. a couple standard sushi places, clearview inn steak house but its kind of far. yah...oh chowder house cafe is good, but not fancy.
ladygodiva
Hamburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2011/12/08 20:09:58
a new place that I tried, Sweet Pea, good food, but slow service, I mean glacier slow, but good food, nice staff. french toast is amazing
carlton pierre
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2011/12/09 07:58:48
Has anybody been to Chrissie Hynde's place in downtown Akron.  I understand it's vegetarian but that's all I know.  She of course was the lead singer for The Pretenders.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2011/12/10 14:28:41
And their wonderful song "My City was gone" was about Akron. And Devo was from Akron.

flyseye
Cheeseburger
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2011/12/10 23:07:40
carlton pierre

Has anybody been to Chrissie Hynde's place in downtown Akron.  I understand it's vegetarian but that's all I know.  She of course was the lead singer for The Pretenders.

http://www.thevegiterranean.com/

Tis no more.

carlton pierre
RE: Where to eat in Akron, Ohio? 2011/12/15 18:31:07
Wow,   that's too bad, but thanks for the link!