Filet Mignon Jerky?

maxlovesjerky
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Filet Mignon Jerky? - Wed, 10/4/06 5:31 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Max and I love Jerky, I have a question it might seem silly but I just have to no if anyone can help me, i watch the TV show Frasier and in an episode there Dad Martin orders some special beef jerky and its made from filet mignon does anyone no if this may actually exsist and where I can get my hands on some please, I have been searching online but have no luck yet, thanks for your help.

Max

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
RE: Filet Mignon Jerky? - Wed, 10/4/06 6:17 AM
Jerky is very easy to make at home. I'd recommend a dehydrator. You can easily control the seasonings and make it to your exact tastes. For what it's worth, I bought my American Harvest/Nesco over a dozen years ago and got my money's worth probably the first time I used it. http://www.nesco.com/products/?category=300&subcat=100&id=39 I'd say to make sure whatever you buy has a fan. A good recipe book will have you making your own yogurt and fruit roll-ups (you can add Kool-Aid to applesauce for different flavors). I'm not sure that filet would be worth it but maybe some day when the price is right I'd try it.

GreenLightJerky
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Filet Mignon Jerky? - Fri, 08/7/09 12:50 PM
Avoid using expensive cuts of meat for jerky. You will be wasting your money.
You wont get any benefit from Filet Mignon Jerky vs Top Round Jerky.  It may be slightly more tender or brittle but not worth the price difference. We tried all different cuts of meat including Filet before settling on Top Round.

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
RE: Filet Mignon Jerky? - Sat, 08/8/09 1:06 AM
  Personally, I think that the Filet Mignon cut of meat is way over rated as the fat content is usually low and as everyone knows,"the flavor is in the fat."

May as well go whole hog and use Kobe Filet for all the good it will do you.

We are talking about taking a tough piece of meat like top or bottom round and making it palatable and more tender by brining, smoking, and drying. Why would you subject such an already tender cut and deliberately making it tougher?

JMHO

David O.

ayersian
  • Total Posts : 897
RE: Filet Mignon Jerky? - Sat, 08/8/09 1:55 AM
Max, we found prime rib beef sticks at S&S Meats in Grand Rapids, North Dakota last week.  They were absolutely delicious!  I bet they'd ship some to you if you called and asked.    Chris

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9527
RE: Filet Mignon Jerky? - Sat, 08/8/09 2:13 AM
Using Tenderloin to make jerky is like using an elephant gun to hunt Squirrels