center cut pork loin

Double Cheeseburger
2006/10/17 02:30:01
I have a three pound boneless center cut pork loin; I want to make one of those old fashioned pork dinners like grandma used to make - saurkraut, maybe some apples with potatoss either baked with the meat or maybe maashed...I can handle the mashed potatoes but would ove sme cooking ideas....thanks
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: center cut pork loin 2006/10/17 04:44:20
I just had one last nite, tasteless piece of crap. I thought it might have just the right ammount of fat for flavor, but that wasn't the case. I am sorry that I didn't plan ahead and brine it before roasting. I purchased it from a reliable butcher shop at $2.79 a lb. and even under cooked it to keep it from drying out, a little on the pinkish side. If it wasn't for the heavy hand at seasoning and the gravey from the pan drippings it would have been a total loss. Chow Jim
rongmtek
Double Cheeseburger
RE: center cut pork loin 2006/10/17 15:17:32
I make these in my crock pit once in a while. Rub with your preferred spices, layer the bottom with sliced onions, add about one cup of cider vinegar or other liquid and anything else you like (if you add apples, don't add them until maybe 2 hours before it is done).
Don't overcook it or it WILL be dry. I would do a 3-lb. on the low heat setting for 4-5 hours, maybe 6. Check the internal temp to be sure, though.
OR- marinate and do it on the grill. I've had good results, a quick sear on all sides at high heat, and then low & slow until done. Let it rest before slicing.
I also grill my apples when I do a loin; you can slice or halve the apples and brush with butter, or maple syrup, or brown sugar, cinnamon, etc.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: center cut pork loin 2006/10/17 15:28:17
Jim, you are totally right. Those center cut boneless pork loins are pretty lame. It's hard to find a bone-in roast any more. But to answer hesseini's question, I would do this:

Put the saurkraut, apples and whatever else (beer or white wine or water, caraway seeds) into a roasting pan and put into a 350 oven for about an hour. In a separate roaster put the pork and whatever seasonings you like and sear in the oven 450 for about 1/2 hour (to seal in the juices). Add the pork to the kraut with small red potatoes, cover, cook at 350 for about another hour. The pork is not going to be drop-dead tender, but such is the nature of this cut.
fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: center cut pork loin 2006/10/17 16:17:18
I made Graham Kerr's Roast Pork with Apple Gravy with the center cut, delicious:

http://www.allfood.com/rec_d.cfm?y=0&r=1&res=x&rid=2757&relvid=&relmeal=&relrec=2758
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: center cut pork loin 2006/10/21 15:14:15
well thanks for all the advice...happy to report the dinner came out a smasheroo... tasty and tender too...I used all the cautions I got here ,plus picked up a little info from james beard and fanny farmer ,but based the meAL mostly on this that I found on the web WEB with a few changes : 1) I spiced up the roast the night before using some meat tenderizer instead of salt - also added cracked pepper , garlic powder and thyme 2) used red saurkraut 3) reduced cooking time to about 12 minutes a pound , then had it sit in the roaster for about 15- 20 minutes and finally, made some of jan and mikes diner style gravy from square meals using chicken broth instead of beef- what a tasty meal- thanks all I have a feeling it would have been awful without the advice I got here - what a great resource this site is!!
Roasted Pork Loin with Apples
Serves: 8 - 10 Active Time: 15 min Total Time: 1 hour 30 min
1 cup raisins
1 pkg (2 lb) Silver Floss Sauerkraut , rinsed, drained
2 medium (1 lb total) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced thin
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup apple cider
1 (3 lb) center-cut boneless pork loin, patted dry
1 Tbsp Oil
1 Tbsp Wegmans Cracked Pepper Blend

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Toss raisins, sauerkraut, apples, nutmeg, and apple cider in large mixing bowl. Mound sauerkraut mixture in large roasting pan.
Rub pork with basting oil; season with cracked pepper blend. Place pork on top of sauerkraut mixture mound.
Place pan on center rack of oven; roast 15 min.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees; roast until internal temperature reaches 150 degrees, about 15 min per pound. Check internal temperature by inserting thermometer halfway into thickest part of meat. Remove from oven; let rest 10 min before carving.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: center cut pork loin 2006/10/21 20:44:10
A little late, but a month ago, I posted this recipe that I watched Tyler Florence do on his show..
Oh well..
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15456
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: center cut pork loin 2006/10/22 04:00:35
I like to marinate pork loin in teriyaki sauce for 24 hours or so and then cook it on the grill with indirect heat. I cook it to 145 and while it rests it goes up to 150 - 155. Plenty for todays pork. Very tasty this way.

MikeS.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: center cut pork loin 2006/10/22 13:13:50
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

I like to marinate pork loin in teriyaki sauce for 24 hours or so and then cook it on the grill with indirect heat. I cook it to 145 and while it rests it goes up to 150 - 155. Plenty for todays pork. Very tasty this way.

MikeS.

That sounds good. maybe serve with some fresh grilled pineapple!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: center cut pork loin 2006/10/23 00:51:01
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

MikeS.

That sounds good. maybe serve with some fresh grilled pineapple!

LOL, actually some of the time I'll open a large can of pineapple and add the juice to the marinade. I'll save the pineapple until I cook the roast and put it on the stove in a pan and boil it in the marinade for a couple mins and then simmer it for a few more.

MikeS.