Seafood Sauce

Junior Burger
2006/10/18 12:44:08
Don't know if anyone ever had the pleasure to dine at a seafood restaurant in Rocky Mount, North Carolina called The Atlantis, but if was one fantastic place to eat. They opened in the late 1960s and served fresh seafood brought in daily from Morehead City, NC. They had a raw bar that was "U" shaped and you could order steamed shrimp, steamed oysters, oysters on the half shell and I believe steamed clams. They had the nicest guys who were stand behind the bar and peel your shrimp and/or shuck your oysters. They also had a fabulous menu of fried and broiled seafood, out-of-this-world clam chowder, and the best hushpuppies on the face of the earth. Unfortunately, they closed their doors last year. In addition to everything thing else, they served, the cocktail (or hot sauce I believe they called it) that they served with the steamed shrimp was the best I have ever had. It was served warm along with melted butter. It was a known fact that the receipe for the sauce was a secret and the guy who made it, came in once a week and worked behind a locked door.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there ever dined there and if anyone had any clue as to what was in that fabulous seafood sauce.

Thanks!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Seafood Sauce 2006/10/18 12:56:47
For steamed shrimp I just mix up some catsup and horseradish, adding horseradish till my head sweats when I taste it, and then I squeeze some lemon juice into it.
RE: Seafood Sauce 2006/10/18 13:30:08
Describe the sauce. There is a place here that serves a great Cocktail/hot sauce with steamed shrimp. It may be similar but need more detail.
cokegirl
Junior Burger
RE: Seafood Sauce 2006/10/18 13:49:10
It was much thiner than most cocktail sauces made from chili sauce, horseradish, lemon. The consistency was very smooth. It wasn't bright red and I think it may have had Heinz 57 sauce in it because it was just about that color and in trying to figure out the ingredients, I think you could sort of taste Heinz 57. It wasn't sweet, firey hot but just really pungent and delicious.

I have tried so many times to make something close but have never succeeded.
RE: Seafood Sauce 2006/10/18 14:15:54
Can't help you. Sorry.
marshrat
Junior Burger
RE: Seafood Sauce 2006/10/18 15:39:10
Hey Coastal Southern- to what place are you referring? Might like to try it sometime. Thanks.
RE: Seafood Sauce 2006/10/23 11:29:53
"The Rah Bar" on Jekyll Island. Its out on the dock by the Jekyll Island Club hotel. The best Sunsets around.

They have this sauce (not cocktail at all) they serve with their boiled shrimp that is out of this world. I have my theory on what i think it is, but you try it and let me know what you think.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Seafood Sauce 2006/10/25 16:13:52
Any discriptions of these sauces might help to come up with a close copy cat recipe. Yall peaked my inerest.
Joe
johnbean
Junior Burger
RE: Seafood Sauce 2014/10/11 11:47:11
I used to live in rocky mount years ago and i can also say this was an awesome place to eat and the sauce was spectacular. I believe that it was a version of a very popular type of vinegar based sauce in eastern north carolina. Basically that sauce is apple cider vinegar, sugar, ketchup and red pepper flake. Thats the extremely generic version mind you and its great for chicken and pork. The version the atlantis had (i think) had about 1 part apple cider vinegar to 4 parts water, black pepper, butter, old bay seasoning, lemon juice, brown sugar and either ketchup or tomato paste. Im not yet sure on the proportions or even if the list is correct but ive been experimenting and its really close... So anyway i dont know if anybody is even still interested in this topic but thats what ive got so far.
post edited by johnbean - 2014/10/11 20:01:49
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Seafood Sauce 2014/10/11 12:02:41
Welcome to Roadfood johnbean. Thanks for the information. Sounds good.
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Seafood Sauce 2014/10/11 17:46:43
I think the seafood hot sauce you  are describing was probably  made with a kicked-up Carolina mustard BBQ sauce or BBQ sauce/apple sauce combo instead of the Heniz 57.

Here is a recipe from a restaurant up the road.   Substitute a Carolina style BBQ or 57 sauce for the Chili sauce.  The BBQ sauce should have the vinegar flavors.  Add more vinegar if needed to thin. Then tweak to you taste.    There are several Carolina Hot sauces made this way.

Cocktail/Hot sauce:
  •  1/2 cup Heinz chili sauce*
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon horseradish
  • 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
  • 1/2 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
Then Add (my additions)
  • 1 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Stolen from  http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/shrimp_cocktail/

I hope this helps since I am guessing as to the Cocktail/Hot Sauce you are describing.
post edited by edwmax - 2014/10/11 17:51:54
johnbean
Junior Burger
RE: Seafood Sauce 2014/10/11 18:21:26
Well here's what I came up with anyways.  It isn't an exact match but comes pretty darn close if you ask me.  It does have a bit of a Heinz 57 aftertaste even though it doesn't actually contain any.  I made up a batch of fried shrimp this evening and it really brought back memories to taste them dipped in this sauce.  The original sauce is something I haven't had the pleasure of tasting for two decades, so if you disagree with me on the flavor then please tell me what you think. I am anxious to hear what you have to say.  I do miss The Atlantis though.  Wish we had more than corporate chain seafood restaurants around here in the Cleveland/Chattanooga TN area.   

Ingredients:
Apple Cider vinegar (1/3 cup)
Water (3/4 cup)
Lemon Juice (2 tbsp)
Old Bay Seasoning (3 tsp)
Black Pepper (1 tsp)
Butter (1/2 tbsp)
Salt (1/4 tsp)
Lemon Juice (2 tbsp)
Light Brown Sugar (2 tsp)
Ketchup (2 tbsp)
Tomato Paste (2 tbsp)
Ground Cayenne Pepper (optional)

Directions: 
Combine vinegar, water, pepper, butter, old bay, salt and light brown sugar.  (If you want it hotter, then add a few shots of ground red (cayenne) pepper now)  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium.  Let boil lightly for 5 minutes.  Add Ketchup, Lemon Juice and Tomato Paste.  Stir to combine.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Serve warm.  

post edited by johnbean - 2014/10/12 16:50:52