chicken and waffles

TheHotPepper.com
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points : 0
chicken and waffles - Fri, 10/20/06 8:30 PM
A soul food specialty... do people really like this? Do you pour syrup on the chicken too? Doesn't sound too appealing to me. Sounds like 4 am food when you're drunk. :)

bss717
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: chicken and waffles - Fri, 10/20/06 8:58 PM
I've had chicken & waffles at Roscoe's out in S. Cal....a bit uncertain of the idea until I ate it - very good and have gone back on many occassions.

TheHotPepper.com
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: chicken and waffles - Fri, 10/20/06 9:35 PM
I can't imagine the dark meat chicken being good with waffles and syrup, the white meat, I can see. The picture on the homepage has dark meat. Too gamy, if you ask me.

Candyman_GH
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: chicken and waffles - Mon, 10/23/06 5:46 PM
I have never tried waffles and chicken, do you wrap the chicken in the waffle?

NAAMikey
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: chicken and waffles - Tue, 10/24/06 12:42 PM
No...they are side by side on the plate...And Roscoe's IS the place for chicken and waffles. Never had a bad meal there. The cornbread is excellent.
Mike

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13385
RE: chicken and waffles - Tue, 10/24/06 5:14 PM
I hae been to Roscoes several times and I have always enjoyed it. Somehow chicken, waffles and syrup go together although there are other options.

I understand some entertainer has opened a similar place in Atlanta???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Pat T Hat
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: chicken and waffles - Tue, 10/24/06 5:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I understand some entertainer has opened a similar place in Atlanta???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Glady's Knight if I remember correctly.

Place in Ney York that does this combination too I've heard.
Since a chicken biscuit with honey is a favorite of mine, this is right up my alley. Then again fried chicken with toast & jelly suits me right down to the ground as well. If there's good fried chicken involved you can count me in every time!

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 10/25/06 11:07 AM
I have to admit I've been curious about chicken and waffles ever since I first read "Mildred Pierce."

Now I'm a little surprised it's served with syrup. Is that standard/always? I somehow imagined cream gravy, don't know why.

rebeltruce
  • Total Posts : 698
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 10/25/06 11:56 AM
Growing up in central Pa, we had Chicken and Waffles on a regular basis.

The difference being that the chicken was roasted, not fried. It was served with a homemade waffle, mashed taters and gravy.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 10/25/06 12:50 PM
I was sold after seing it on The Travil Channel Taste of America show. I have not tried it yet but it sounds good. Hmmm, the link?
Joe

curried bluebonnet
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 10/25/06 1:44 PM
There is a place here in Houston called The Breakfast Klub (I think that is how it is spelled) that is very popular with the chicken and waffles. I've never had it, but they are written up in the paper every so often. I hope I've got the name right. Sounds interesting to try at least once!

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 10/25/06 2:20 PM
Do you mean MAPLE syrup? I've had it with honey, fried chicken with clover honey and fresh biscuits, thats delicious. Maple syrup, I'm not so sure......I guess its an acquired taste.

pacman
  • Total Posts : 160
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 10/25/06 2:31 PM
Like rebeltruce said, here in Central PA its roast chicken, waffle & mashed tater with chicken gravy. This is a dish I NEVER was able to aquire a taste for. There are just some things that, in my mind, don't go together. Chicken & waffles is one on the list, another is any dish with chicken & cheese together, don't ask me why, I just don't like it.

Dan

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 10/25/06 2:49 PM
Although I have always wanted to, I have never been to Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles. Next time in LA, I will hit it for sure.

For good chicken & waffles and other soul food classics in Pittsburgh, I suggest Simmie's. Here is the review from the Pittsburgh paper, which is how I found the place.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05167/521989.stm

ctfrasier
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: chicken and waffles - Fri, 12/22/06 3:15 PM
I was in Pasadena last August and took a drunken cab ride to the Roscoe's there to find it was closed. We thought it was a 24/7 operation. Sadly, we had to settle for Taco Bell as it was the only food available at 2am.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3548
RE: chicken and waffles - Fri, 12/22/06 5:45 PM
One thing that's not on the menu at Roscoe's that is great is ordering the chicken smothered. A nice thick chicken gravy is ladled over it........with the waffle coated with maple syrup, it's heavenly!

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 08/15/07 6:17 PM

Happened by Lo Lo's Chicken and Waffles in Phoenix today, thought I'd give it a try.

I must say I was very impresssed! The Chicken was HHHot! and crispy, not oily at all. I ordered Lo Lo's #3, which is 3 pieces of chicken (2 thighs and a leg) and two waffles. The waffles were nicly browned with just a bit of crunch on the outside, smothered in sweet butter and plenty of warm syrup.

My first inclination was to eat a little, knowing that i would be stuffed if I ate the whole thing.....but I couldn't resist. Delicious! I even burned my mounth a bit cause I couldn't wait for the chicken to cool down a bit. Luckily, I had a nice sized Mason jar filled with Iced Tea to wash it down with. They also had red-velvet cake on the menu....but I just couldn't.

Highly recommended. I will be in SoCal this weekend, I may have to sniff out Roscoe's to do a little comparison shopping. Need to add, the service was very friendly and attentive. Really nice folks.

DD

10 W Yuma Street, Phoenix
602-340-1304

MENU:

http://www.loloschickenandwaffles.com/menu/menu.pdf

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 08/15/07 6:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

Happened by Lo Lo's Chicken and Waffles in Phoenix today, thought I'd give it a try.

I must say I was very impresssed! The Chicken was HHHot! and crispy, not oily at all. I ordered Lo Lo's #3, which is 3 pieces of chicken (2 thighs and a leg) and two waffles. The waffles were nicly browned with just a bit of crunch on the outside, smothered in sweet butter and plenty of warm syrup.

My first inclination was to eat a little, knowing that i would be stuffed if I ate the whole thing.....but I couldn't resist. Delicious! I even burned my mounth a bit cause I couldn't wait for the chicken to cool down a bit. Luckily, I had a nice sized Mason jar filled with Iced Tea to wash it down with. They also had red-velvet cake on the menu....but I just couldn't.

Highly recommended. I will be in SoCal this weekend, I may have to sniff out Roscoe's to do a little comparison shopping. Need to add, the service was very friendly and attentive. Really nice folks.

DD

602-340-1304

MENU:

Hmmm, I thought you were on a diet???At least you skipped the red velvet cake! That looks so delicious I had to put away my pretzels, they just aren't cuttin' it.

matilda
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 08/15/07 7:11 PM
I've never been to a Kenny Rogers Roasters(?) but isn't that the idea there? Honey-roasted chicken?

When I was younger there were two places in Mauldin that did a honey thing with chicken. One was Holly Farms and I can't remember the other one, for some reason I'm thinkin Maryland Fried but they aren't in the Upstate...anyway it either said it was, or called itself, Honey-Dipt Chicken.

I always thought chicken and waffles would be interesting depending on the ingredients of the batter on the chicken. I can imagine it more assuming the chicken is already somehow on the sweet side rather than the salt and peppery country-fried side of things.

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 08/15/07 7:26 PM
Inspired by this combo, Alton Brown stopped at a cafe in Mississippi on his Feasting on Asphalt show Saturday and ordered Rib Tips and Pancakes.

He loved it. As did his crew.

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 08/15/07 7:43 PM
Oh my God, that chicken and waffles looks amazing. I'll have to try this at home, because I don't think we have any restaurants around here that serve that combo.

unabashed
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: chicken and waffles - Thu, 08/16/07 2:21 AM

Originally posted by rebeltruce

Growing up in central Pa, we had Chicken and Waffles on a regular basis.

The difference being that the chicken was roasted, not fried. It was served with a homemade waffle, mashed taters and gravy.
[/quot

yea same here either chicken & waffels or slipperey chicken potpie.
ron

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: chicken and waffles - Thu, 08/16/07 12:46 PM
IHOP now has maple glazed waffle with chicken.

I know it is not RF, but we don't have a good chicken & waffle place.

There are several places in PA where chicken and waffles ran supreme, the maple syrup, compliments the flavor of the chciken very nicely. Hmmmmmm I think I should unbury my waffler and amke some tonight.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3548
RE: chicken and waffles - Thu, 08/16/07 3:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

DD

602-340-1304

MENU:

Roscoe's could be arranged!

tsores
  • Total Posts : 653
RE: chicken and waffles - Thu, 08/16/07 3:35 PM
Are there any places that serve C&W in the Chicago area?

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3217
RE: chicken and waffles - Fri, 08/17/07 9:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tsores

Are there any places that serve C&W in the Chicago area?

Absolutely! Go to any of the Chicagoland Walker Bros and BYOC from Hecky's.

Doatsie82
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: chicken and waffles - Mon, 08/20/07 12:48 PM
What about San Diego county. LA is sooooo far away
Doatsie

tsores
RE: chicken and waffles - Mon, 08/20/07 1:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

... and BYOC from Hecky's.

??

matilda
RE: chicken and waffles - Mon, 08/20/07 2:04 PM
Sauce, I believe. Or chicken? Or cobbler? Or catfish? Or cheeseburger? Or...Chicago-style dog?

pepperhead
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: chicken and waffles - Tue, 08/21/07 1:52 PM
New chicken/waffle restaurant in Nashville, TN..

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=57304

chicagostyledog
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 08/22/07 9:38 PM
quote:

quote:

??

BYOC.....Bring your own chicken( Gedempte or chicken in the pot).

matilda
RE: chicken and waffles - Wed, 08/22/07 9:53 PM
quote:

quote:

quote:

??

BYOC.....Bring your own chicken( Gedempte or chicken in the pot).

The reason I said Chicago-style Dog is because there's one on Hecky's menu... .
And chicagostyledog posted the BYOC/Hecky's response...
LOL...get it?

quote:
Originally posted by matilda

Sauce, I believe. Or chicken? Or cobbler? Or catfish? Or cheeseburger? Or...Chicago-style dog?

In response to:

quote:

Get it???

tsores
RE: chicken and waffles - Thu, 08/23/07 10:07 AM
Bring my own chicken to Hecky's. They have the waffles? I am totally confused. I think I will try Walker Bros. The Wilmette location is about 1/2 mile from my house.

Thanks.
Phil.

chicagostyledog
RE: chicken and waffles - Thu, 08/23/07 8:46 PM
quote:

Bring my own chicken to Hecky's. They have the waffles? I am totally confused. I think I will try Walker Bros. The Wilmette location is about 1/2 mile from my house.

Thanks.
Phil.

How to obtain and experience chicken and waffles in Wilmette:

1. Drive south to Hecky's on Green Bay Road and Ridge and pick up a cooked chicken to go.
2. Transport the chicken north on Green Bay Road from Evanston directly to Walker Bros. in Wilmette.
3. With chicken in hand or bag or box, order a waffle at Walker Bros.
4. Ask for an extra plate(for the chicken).
5. When the waffle is served, plate the chicken next to it.
6. Eat & enjoy chicken and waffles in your own neighborhood.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9527
RE: chicken and waffles - Thu, 08/23/07 9:52 PM
Two schools of thought on what comprises "Chicken & Waffles". Like Rebel Truce, I'm from Central PA and Chicken and Waffles meant leftover Roasted or Fried Chicken, cut up on a waffle with Chicken Gravy, Mashed potatoes and stuffing if there was any leftover. It was a "leftovers" meal. I didn't learn about the other version until I visited LoLo's in Phoenix AZ. I expected to go in there and find the "Northern" version, much to my surprise! The Fried version is OK, But I much prefer the "Northern" version.

SuperDave70
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: chicken and waffles - Mon, 09/17/07 3:44 AM
When I lived in KC in the late 80's, there was a great chicken and waffles place somewhere near downtown. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of it, and my google searches have turned up nothing. The fried chicken was served on top of the waffles, with a honey based syrup poured over all of it. It was fantastic! Can anyone help me with a name?

Now that I live in the Phoenix area, LoLo's has been on my to-do list, but I haven't made it there yet. Those pictures make me regret putting it off this long!