Help with Pat's Cheesesteak

RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD
  • Total Posts : 191
  • Reward points : 0
Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 10/21/06 7:05 AM
Hello All

Will be traveling from the Baltimore area to try a Pats Cheesesteak in Phili., a green pepper, mush. cheesesteak. I know it will come with onions but is it correct to ask for other condiments such as tomatoe and mayo.Do not what to break proticol.

Thanks Jim

GB944
  • Total Posts : 191
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 10/21/06 7:53 AM
You can find pictures of the menu and ordering instructions here:

http://www.hollyeats.com/Pats.htm

It helps if you speak english when ordering...

acer2x
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 10/21/06 10:13 AM
Mayo is NOT acceptable on a cheesesteak in Philadelphia.

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Mon, 10/23/06 7:59 PM
mayo and tomatoe?? noooooooooooooo.. forget the mayo completely! use ketchup as the tomato and enjoy your experience!

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Mon, 10/23/06 8:16 PM
Stay with me on this I know it will get complicated.

If you go to Pat's, they're more than likely to give you a hard time about tomatoes. NO MAYO ON CHEESESTEAKS. DON'T ASK FOR IT THERE.
Regarding green peppers: I don't and most natives don't order green peppers on their cheesesteak. We'll opt for hot cherry peppers (round with a short stem)which are either red or green.

Here's where it gets complicated. In many places around the city and in Atlantic City at The White House Sub Shop you can get what's known as a cheesesteak hoagie. This is a cheesesteak (warm/hot temp)with lettuce (cold) and tomatoes (cold). You can and should get onions - either fried or raw.

Actually, it's pretty good. I have seen people order that with some mayo. Must be the vegetables.

Just go and have a fun time. Don't be intimidated by the counter help or the other customers in line. Remember that sandwiches are ordered and given to you at one window. Drinks and fries are at a different window. Condiments (ketchup/hot sauce/mustard/hot peppers in two styles) are on a counter across from the serving windows.

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Mon, 10/23/06 9:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

Stay with me on this I know it will get complicated.

If you go to Pat's, they're more than likely to give you a hard time about tomatoes. NO MAYO ON CHEESESTEAKS. DON'T ASK FOR IT THERE.
Regarding green peppers: I don't and most natives don't order green peppers on their cheesesteak. We'll opt for hot cherry peppers (round with a short stem)which are either red or green.

Here's where it gets complicated. In many places around the city and in Atlantic City at The White House Sub Shop you can get what's known as a cheesesteak hoagie. This is a cheesesteak (warm/hot temp)with lettuce (cold) and tomatoes (cold). You can and should get onions - either fried or raw.

Actually, it's pretty good. I have seen people order that with some mayo. Must be the vegetables.

Just go and have a fun time. Don't be intimidated by the counter help or the other customers in line. Remember that sandwiches are ordered and given to you at one window. Drinks and fries are at a different window. Condiments (ketchup/hot sauce/mustard/hot peppers in two styles) are on a counter across from the serving windows.

Listen to the expert (CheeseWit), but let me advise you based on my experience. One of the best sandwiches in the world is a Pat's standard "cheese wit", which is topped with Cheez Whiz and onions. Put some of the hot peppers on the counter outside on your sandwich, and the experience is heavenly.

CheeseWit
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Mon, 10/23/06 9:37 PM
Bushie: You know how to live!!

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Tue, 10/24/06 12:27 AM
we have great cheesesteaks here in Atlantic City, as well (chelsea pizzas cheesesteak is so juicy; it's my favorite in the country right now!!)

and I DO love mine with mayo. and never get laughed at. At least not here in AC.

big g in joisey
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Fri, 10/27/06 8:06 PM
Besides White House subs is there another good place to get a cheese steak in AC, I remember a few years ago that Pat's was supposed to open a place a few blocks from the Taj,seen the building renovated with the signs but never seen it open?

xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Fri, 10/27/06 9:06 PM
i used to get a cheese steak hoagie..
tomatoes, lettuce, fresh onions with the cheesteak...
man, they were good.

nospacesinmyname
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Fri, 12/15/06 1:41 PM
a thread about pats and not a single mention of ginos....

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Fri, 12/15/06 5:01 PM
All of the Ginos here in the Baltimore area closed a long time ago, turned into Roy Rogers, and then, McDonalds. But here's their jingle.

Everybody goes to Gino's, cause Gino's is the place to go.
Everybody goes to Gino's, everybody in the know.
A hamburger there is just 15 cents, with some french frys and a milkshake you'll be glad that you went.
Yes, everybody goes to Gino's, cause Gino's is the place to goooooooooooh.

And why in a thread about Pat's would you expect a mention of GENO'S?

CheeseWit
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Fri, 12/15/06 5:15 PM
You tell 'em, signman!

Phildelmar
  • Total Posts : 792
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Fri, 12/15/06 9:43 PM
Skip the mayo, although I am heretical enough to order mine with mustard.

tarragon
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 12/16/06 6:04 AM
I remember Gino's too! Wasn't one of the owners a former Baltimore Colt player? Gino's was the place to go (they had several stores in DE).

signman
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 12/16/06 2:34 PM
It was Hall of Famer Gino Marchetti, #89.

Bulldozer Rectangle
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 12/16/06 4:51 PM
Just do them both as they are right across the street from each other. You'll feel like a tourist, but what's wrong with that sometimes?

Count calories tomorrow.

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 12/16/06 5:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by signman

All of the Ginos here in the Baltimore area closed a long time ago, turned into Roy Rogers, and then, McDonalds. But here's their jingle.

Everybody goes to Gino's, cause Gino's is the place to go.
Everybody goes to Gino's, everybody in the know.
A hamburger there is just 15 cents, with some french frys and a milkshake you'll be glad that you went.
Yes, everybody goes to Gino's, cause Gino's is the place to goooooooooooh.

And why in a thread about Pat's would you expect a mention of GENO'S?

Different Gino's.

John

tangerine
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 12/16/06 6:00 PM
Do jaw exercises before you go ... Pat's meat (and Geno's) is about 4-6 months old. Be prepared for 'tude from the "help" ... as in ignoring you if they are in the middle of some inane conversation. Be ready to fork over six bucks. And if you order a pork with red sauce, be prepared for comments about how odd your taste is because NO ONE ever puts pork bones in spaghetti sauce. Or .. call a decent pizza place and get a better steak without the B.S.

signman
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sun, 12/17/06 5:44 PM
Thanks, John.

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Mon, 12/18/06 7:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Thanks, John.

YW. I was stationed at Ft. Meade in the early 60's. We use to hit Gino's in Baltimore, after chowing down it was time for drag racing in the streets.

The good old days

John

Earl of Sandwich
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 08/23/08 2:42 PM
Went to Pat's this week. A fun experience. He's made ordering sandwiches easier by posting a sign out front which tells you what to ask for.
Gino's across the street looked like a neat place as well but only room for one of those monsters.

Holly Moore
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 08/23/08 7:29 PM
I understand it has to be because of the forum structure hereabouts. But seeing all these cheesesteak threads under "Sandwiches." It's like the screech of chalk on a blackboard.

C Turner Joy
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 08/23/08 7:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Holly Moore

I understand it has to be because of the forum structure hereabouts. But seeing all these cheesesteak threads under "Sandwiches." It's like the screech of chalk on a blackboard.

Not sure I follow, Mr. Moore. Should they be listed under steaks?

harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1088
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 08/23/08 8:17 PM
I remember about 20 years ago my former in-laws coming to visit us here in Jersey. We're out to eat someplace I can't remember, but what I do remember is the mother-in-law (bless her, she's still alive, but still...) she says, "I'd like to order a Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwich!" Did I want to crawl under the table or the car or what.

And you can trust me when I tell you I do remember it was not at Pat's or GENO's.

I wonder if the original poster ever recovered from that Pat's steak two years ago.

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7762
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 08/23/08 10:43 PM
quote:

Where should it be listed, desserts?

Holly Moore
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 08/23/08 11:52 PM
More emotional, than anything else. Just as I don't consider a hot dog or a hamburger to be a sandwich, I don't think a cheesesteak is a sandwich. A hoagie may be a sandwich, though not really. But a cheesesteak is a cheesesteak, not a sandwich.

I know we covered both in "Sandwiches That You Will Like" but I was much younger then, and far less set in my ways.

Edited to add - I go by Holly. Mr. Moore makes beef stew.

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7762
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sun, 08/24/08 12:28 AM
quote:

More emotional, than anything else. Just as I don't consider a hot dog or a hamburger to be a sandwich, I think a cheesesteak is a sandwich. A hoagie may be a sandwich, though not really. But a cheesesteak is a cheesesteak, not a sandwich.

I know we covered both in "Sandwiches That You Will Like" but I was much younger then, and far less set in my ways.

LOL!!!

That is funny!!!

Also made James Bond movies.

fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Mon, 08/25/08 2:48 PM
Holly I don't know how you don't consider hoagies, subs, burgers, hot dogs, and cheese steaks not to be sandwiches. What exactly would you consider to be a sandwich? What's your definition?

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Mon, 08/25/08 4:58 PM
I can see where Holly being from the philly area you don't think of cheesesteaks as a sandwich, but it doesn't really fit on any of the other categories here.

Thanks for updating your site this weekend, I always look forward to your updates.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9575
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Mon, 08/25/08 5:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

I can see where Holly being from the philly area you don't think of cheesesteaks as a sandwich, but it doesn't really fit on any of the other categories here.

People in Philly think that Cheesesteaks are a religious experience, not a sandwich. They put their Mummers Costumes on and gather in cult meetings during a full moon to worship all things Cheesesteak!

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4467
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Mon, 08/25/08 7:15 PM
Just did a comparison with my Daughter at Pat's and Geno's. Split a Wiz wit at both places....Geno's was the winner!

Holly Moore
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Mon, 08/25/08 7:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by fattybomatty

Holly I don't know how you don't consider hoagies, subs, burgers, hot dogs, and cheese steaks not to be sandwiches. What exactly would you consider to be a sandwich? What's your definition?

It is the two slices of bread thing. Peanut butter and jelly. BLT. Bologna, lettuce and mayonnaise. These are sandwiches. Three slices of bread as in a "Club" is also a sandwich. I haven't decided whether something in pita is a sandwich. Probably not.

It is not just a Philadelphia thing, though that always works in my favor. Even when I lived in Stevens Point, Wisconsin I did not consider a hot dog or a hamburger to be a sandwich.

One final Philadelphia thing. Please do not use hoagie and sub in the same sentence.

fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Mon, 08/25/08 7:37 PM
Holly,

You're right about the hoagie/sub thing. It should never be called a hoagie. It is a sub So by your definition nothing on a round roll, or any kind of roll for that matter, would be a sandwich. Sandwiches would only be made with sliced bread. While I respect your opinion I can't agree with it. To me if it's on a bread or roll it makes no difference. It is still a sandwich.

Go Giants!!!

GNeedles59
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Tue, 08/26/08 9:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by joerogo

Just did a comparison with my Daughter at Pat's and Geno's. Split a Wiz wit at both places....Geno's was the winner!

You should have hit up Steve's Prince of Steaks or Chinks

TFitz
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Tue, 08/26/08 10:09 AM
Signman, Here is a link that has a wav file of the original Gino's jingle.
http://hometown.aol.com/jsf0864/page1.html

db1105
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Thu, 08/28/08 9:46 PM
Nayo on the mayo.

harriet1954
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Fri, 08/29/08 9:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

People in Philly think that Cheesesteaks are a religious experience, not a sandwich. They put their Mummers Costumes on and gather in cult meetings during a full moon to worship all things Cheesesteak!

Uh, no. We don't. And I truly hope your emoticons mean you're kidding.

Stereotyping is so wrong and so insulting...

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9575
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Fri, 08/29/08 10:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by harriet1954

quote:

quote:

LIGHTEN UP!!! That was all with Tongue in cheek. The Whole country has become so PC it makes me sick. Get over it and put a bandaid on your thin skin.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Fri, 08/29/08 10:11 PM
No doubt..

juanito_mandujano
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Fri, 08/29/08 11:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by nospacesinmyname

a thread about pats and not a single mention of ginos....

I was in Philly last week while visiting a buddy of mine in Baltimore, MD and the reason no one mention's Geno's is because it kind of sucks.

It is caddy-corner to Pat's, so what I did is ordered one from Pat's earlier in the day, and then after taking the mandatory picture with the Rocky statue, a scoop of ice cream at Bassett's in the Reading Terminal Market and a little sight-seeing in the area, we headed back to Geno's to try one of theirs.

What you are going to find out as I did, (and was told to me by someone), is that Pat's puts way more meat in their cheesesteak than Geno does. The fries are WAY better at Pat's too. One other thing I should mention is that YOU HAVE TO GET IT "WIT WHIZ". ANY OTHER WAY AND YOU WILL GET A DRY SAMMICH.

My wife made the mistake of getting hers with provolone, and it was like eating a sammich at the beach when sand gets in it.

harriet1954
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 08/30/08 4:56 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by harriet1954

quote:

quote:

LIGHTEN UP!!! That was all with Tongue in cheek. The Whole country has become so PC it makes me sick. Get over it and put a bandaid on your thin skin.

Darling, I'm way tougher than you think, as you already think I'm thin-skinned - another assumption made on your part. I don't believe that "The Whole country has become so PC" - and I'm sorry that it makes you sick! Get over it and take a Tums! Or, better yet, since I cannot hear the tone of your voice on the internet, please say that it's meant to be tongue-in-cheek! We don't automatically "get" your "sense of humor"! Ours is different here in the land of the Mummers!

OK? Take care, now!

Holly Moore
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Sat, 08/30/08 6:08 PM
A Whiz Wit may indeed be a cult-worthy. I'll take the cheesesteak juices - a blend of grease from the grill, the steak, and the fried onions paired with melting cheez whiz - over grape Kool Aid any ol' time.

Edited: Just because I ca

Phildelmar
  • Total Posts : 792
RE: Help with Pat's Cheesesteak - Wed, 09/17/08 8:40 PM
I find both Pat's and Genos to be for tourists, and that both places are cruising on reputation. I agree with those who favor steve's or Chinks. also, Olivieris in Reading terminal market. as a side note, I like the overall quality in the market. I feel that the level of competition is so high that bad product can't survive there, at least not for long