Bob Pool's chili

Cheeseburger
2006/10/21 15:35:16
The Wikipedia article on chili (con carne) says one of the most famous chili parlors of all time was Bob Pool's in Downtown Dallas, across from the Neiman Marcus store, in the 40s and 50s. Stanley Marcus ate there regularly and had the chili shipped to his friends; members of Eisenhower's SHAPE staff in Paris also had it shipped to them.

Any roadfooders know anything about this, like, frinstance, a recipe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/01 17:00:53
Interesting Olth! I missed this thread somehow. I'll see what I can dig up from some Dallas folks. My dad would know if he were still with us. He word downtown during the late 40s. Sounds like it must have been som great chili! I am into trying to dig up the old chili recipes like this one. Maybe someone here will know something?
Joe
Cheeseburger
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/01 17:08:58
That's SHAEF-Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force.
(WW II history buff)
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/01 18:42:37
SHAEF, neat, thanks Top! I bet Wikipedia had that wrong.

I made a post at the dallashistory.com site. Maybe someone knows something about Bob Pool's? I put some word out to some other Dallas folks, no luck but?

This sounds like a famous chili that should be found!
Joe
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/01 19:28:13
quote:
Originally posted by Top

That's SHAEF-Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force.
(WW II history buff)

No, SHAPE. The article states it was in Paris and in the 1950s, after the war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHAPE

Hope you can find something out papj. I wasn't able to find anything on line and I looked at that Dallas Forum you had mentioned before.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/01 19:36:50
It's a long shot Olth, but who knows. Some of those Dallas history folks can find out allot.
Joe
sunnyside up
Cheeseburger
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/06 15:52:23
http://www.nato.int/shape/about/background.htm
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/08 16:41:36
Out of utter disgust after sampling so many bowls of institutional, canned chili at Houston restaurants, I decided to go on a chili making binge at home, using not pre-mixed chili powders but grinding the chile's myself. Perusing Frank X. Tolbert's Bowl of Red for ideas I discovered all the info on Bob Pool's chili in the Wikipedia article is taken directly from Tolbert.

No recipe though.
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/08 16:55:20
you guys are giving me an idea..
open a chili parlor and serve
several chili recipes.
sort of like the soup nazi.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/09 12:54:48
Great minds think alike Xannie! I almost did a post about " my fantasy chili parlor ". Serve all the great regional chilis. It would be neat to have Bob Pool's! And of coarse, NM green chili and green chili stew.

There was a parlor in Dallas for a while, can't remember the name, that had a few chilis, even Shanghai Jimmy's. I never made it there, just head about it after it closed.
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/09 15:10:05
It was the Empress chili parlor that was open in the Dallas area for a while. They served Shanghai Jimmy's chili rice. Not sure where I read that? I bet Empress in Ohio dosen't serve Jimmy's chili rice. Dallas must not have been ready for Ohio chili, even with chili rice thrown in.
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/09 17:17:06
One response at dallashistory.org. No recipe, when it was open and the exact name, Bob Pool's Fast Foods I think, and what Bob did next? Boy was he ahead of the times!!! "fast foods!" He may have had the first fast food place.

I am also in search of the hot link served at the Cabell's stores in Dallas back in the 50s. Man were they good. thing? I made a post about that also at dallashistory.org.

Am I obsessed with this "lost food" thing?
Joe

Better than drinking I guess? Whops, I need one!
Joe
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/09 19:12:18
OK Xannie and papj, move it on over there's competition moving in . I have a very active restaurant fantasy life ; one of my fantasies for several years, as I've been obsessed off and on with chili recipes, is a chili parlor, 'Chili Bob's Texas Chili Parlor.' I wonder if I'd get sued by the Fort Worth country nightclub for using that name? I'd have 9 or 10 regular versions of chili on the menu, different levels of heat, different meats, but always true to the original conception of chili as just meat and spices. The more I've experimented the more a traditionalist and purist I've become. The real reason beans don't go in chili has nothing to do with chili competition rules or any definition promulgated by the Texas Legislature, it's because it tastes better that way and beans taste better by themselves, too.

I'd have chili verde and I'd try Cincinnati Style Chili because I think it's a good dish, but I don't know if the latter would go over down here. None of the tomato-hamburger-vegetable-soup or Garbage Bowl types served as chili in some parts; I don't think they'd do well. Would have a vegetarian chili, maybe more than one, and they'd have beans.

And a few 'celebrity' chilis - LBJ's Perdernales River Chili, perhaps, or some of the others that have been brought up.

Now, what to serve besides chili?????

papj - according to Tolbert's book, Robert Sprinkle Pool was a character. He celebrated his birthday by going down to the pound and buying all the dogs and giving them to his friends. Friends got to where they dreaded his birthday. "For about a dozen years after WWII, Bob was the high priest of chili con carne in Dallas. His temple was red-fronted narrow parlor with red-and-white checkered cloths on the tables."

During a sales slump at NM, "...Stanley Marcus lectured his sales people: 'You all must be living on Bob Pool's chili, the way the customers are backing off from you.' The reference was to the breath acquired from eating Pool's chili.
xannie_01
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/09 19:35:27
oltheimmer,
not only would you not get sued,
you'd have customers lining up
outside your door clammering
to get in!! i think it's a fantastic idea.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/10 11:15:42
Well, does someone want to start the fantasy chili parlor thread?
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/10 13:40:15
There was a guy serving chili at the Adolphas Hotel before Bob's place opened. It may have been the first chili place in Dallas, 1914 or so. Now for his name, I'll find it somewhere.
Joe
the sheriff
Junior Burger
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/10 13:58:55
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

you guys are giving me an idea..
open a chili parlor and serve
several chili recipes.
sort of like the soup nazi.

There is one in the Pike Place Market in Seattle. It does very well. http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=true
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/10 14:02:17
Acording to a thread at the dallashistory site it was Johnny Bejano. There was a referance his place but not his name at;

www.chilicookoff.com

I did a search at the dallas site for... first chili... and that came up. Now that I know, his name googles also with a link to the post.
Joe
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/10 20:07:11
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

oltheimmer,
not only would you not get sued,
you'd have customers lining up
outside your door clammering
to get in!! i think it's a fantastic idea.

Wow, thanks, xannie. So maybe one of my ideas is actually worth something? Now if I could just find somebody with lotsa money and convince them .
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/10 20:08:36
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Well, does someone want to start the fantasy chili parlor thread?
Joe

Hey, I've already given up all the trade secrets I'm going to divulge .

It's somebody else's turn to spill the beans, as the saying goes.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/11 09:59:10
Ok, I'll do it. Some good ideas could result. I think lots of chili folks have the idea, just no one is brave enough to open the parlor.
Joe
plb
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/11 11:59:17
Are the Chili Up places in S.F. local or a chain?
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2006/11/11 12:30:54
Looks like maybe a local chain. I googled but didn't find a web site. Chiliup.com is not their site. Pbl, have you eaten there? Is it good I wounder?
Joe
marlinchaser
Junior Burger
Re:Bob Pool's chili 2009/02/22 18:42:29

Wow, this is an old thread, but I had to jump in anyway ... Bob Pool's did in fact exist in downtown Dallas across from Neiman's ... It was actually before my time, or rather I would have been quite young when it closed. Some of my relatives do remember it very well though. A small place, not may tables. Many of the patrons stood at a bar along a wall to eat.

Pool's was really famous for the chili dogs. Maybe sold more of those than bowls of red. Yes, the chili was fairly traditional in that it did NOT have beans. (Who would want beans in their chili anyway???!!!) Pool's did serve pinto beans on the side, which were said to have been the best pinto beans in the world. Very heavy seasoned with cumin. Many would buy a bowl of beans to add to the chili later - Probably added it somewhere in private so as not to be seen desecrating the chili :-) 

I compete in chili contests periodically, so would love to get my hands on Bob Pool's chili recipe if one is ever found. 

CintiChili
Junior Burger
Re:Bob Pool's chili 2009/02/24 16:27:09
Today, while looking for a chili recipe for my works' second annual chili cook-off, I found all of your comments about Bob Pool's chili & thought I'd give it a go.  Here's a link from dallas news for three contest winner recipes, one of which looks to be Bob's recipe. 
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/taste/easyrecipes/stories/DN-nf_chilirecs_1017liv.ART.State.Edition1.517760d.html

Coincidentally, I used to work at Sandestin - small world.
All chili lovers should give Cinti chili a try.  I love it as a coney dog, natives like it as a 3-way!  Chili in Cincinnati is weird at first, but it grows on you until you can't live without it - very addictive.  For my cook-off at work, I'm hoping Bob's has a similar effect.

marlinchaser
Junior Burger
Re:Bob Pool's chili 2009/02/24 18:34:51
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you sharing this  ... I am going to try that recipe on Saturday at the Fudpucker's cook-off.  Funny, I just spoke to my (older) cousin today, who mentioned Bob Pool's ... He described the chili as thick and VERY good, and the location as quite nondescript ...  He remembered the chili dogs as well, which Pool's was well known for.

I remember the Cincinnati chili as well. In a previous life, I was in the restaurant/bar business. I had a bartender that made (what he called) Cincinnati chili and cornbread for all the Saturday ball games.  Spicy, not especially thick with spaghetti noodles in it. As a native (5th generation) Texan, I am reluctant to admit it, but the stuff was pretty good.

BTW, where/when  did you work at Sandestin?

Ed  
Buddy Dek
Cheeseburger
Re:Bob Pool's chili 2009/03/19 20:12:39
Marlinchaser let us know here how it goes. This receipe sounds interesting and the fact that after years, its actually available. I know I too will give it a try. Last week I tried a 5 way cincinnatti chilli receipe  for the first time. Never had chilli with spaghetti but it was the combination that was different and good.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
Re:Bob Pool's chili 2009/03/20 16:22:33
Marlin, thanks for bumping this up!

Cinti, nice work finding that link! That sure might be Bob's recipe.

And welcome you new folks to Roadfood!

Buddy, and all;

There is ALLOT to read here about Cinci Chili, and Chili history. Nice to see yall looking back at that stuff!

Oh, that "fantasy chili parlor" thread I mentioned earlier happened.
Joe
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
Re:Bob Pool's chili 2009/03/21 10:35:27
After a closer look I am not sure why that recipe is called "bob plager's pools brew". It did win 3 "Behind the Store" cook offs. I like the prunes in it.
Joe
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2009/03/21 17:15:35
oltheimmer

OK Xannie and papj, move it on over there's competition moving in . I have a very active restaurant fantasy life ; one of my fantasies for several years, as I've been obsessed off and on with chili recipes, is a chili parlor, 'Chili Bob's Texas Chili Parlor.' I wonder if I'd get sued by the Fort Worth country nightclub for using that name? I'd have 9 or 10 regular versions of chili on the menu, different levels of heat, different meats, but always true to the original conception of chili as just meat and spices. The more I've experimented the more a traditionalist and purist I've become. The real reason beans don't go in chili has nothing to do with chili competition rules or any definition promulgated by the Texas Legislature, it's because it tastes better that way and beans taste better by themselves, too.

I'd have chili verde and I'd try Cincinnati Style Chili because I think it's a good dish, but I don't know if the latter would go over down here. None of the tomato-hamburger-vegetable-soup or Garbage Bowl types served as chili in some parts; I don't think they'd do well. Would have a vegetarian chili, maybe more than one, and they'd have beans.

And a few 'celebrity' chilis - LBJ's Perdernales River Chili, perhaps, or some of the others that have been brought up.

Now, what to serve besides chili?????

papj - according to Tolbert's book, Robert Sprinkle Pool was a character. He celebrated his birthday by going down to the pound and buying all the dogs and giving them to his friends. Friends got to where they dreaded his birthday. "For about a dozen years after WWII, Bob was the high priest of chili con carne in Dallas. His temple was red-fronted narrow parlor with red-and-white checkered cloths on the tables."

During a sales slump at NM, "...Stanley Marcus lectured his sales people: 'You all must be living on Bob Pool's chili, the way the customers are backing off from you.' The reference was to the breath acquired from eating Pool's chili.

YO Olt,

Someone beat you to it!
http://chilimysoul.com/
Click on the "Flavors" Icon 
This place was recently ranked in the TOP 10 places in the USA for Chili. I think that proves the concept will work.
http://www.roadfooddigest.com/post/2009/03/Americas-Top-Ten-Chilis.aspx
post edited by Foodbme - 2009/03/21 17:19:22
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2009/03/21 20:40:57
YO Olt,
Jane Butel is a noted authority on Chili & Southwest Foods. She's the author of "Chili Madness' and several other books on all things Chili. She might know something about Bob Pool's Chili.
Her email is: info@janebutelcooking.com 
Her web site is: www.janebutel.com
I've met her and she's a nice lady. She autographed my copy of her latest updated edition of "Chili Madness". My 1st copy has so many Chili stains in it that I can hardly read it !!
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Bob Pool's chili 2009/03/22 12:12:05
FoodB, I would love to go to Chili My Soul!

The "fantasy chili parlor" thread, that was started from this thread, is a good one. If... your a chili nut like me. Another good one is the "weird things" chili thread. You can find em w/ tha search here.
Joe