Stella Doro

Filet Mignon
2006/10/22 19:41:42
John A's post on "home-town favorites" brought up Stella Doro and nice memories of the "rock hard" anise pastries (good 4 dippin'!). I remember passing the main bakery off the hughway in the Bronx, with the famous Gold Star. I was surprised to see it listed as a regional specialty. Is Stella known outside the NY area?
collections4today
Junior Burger
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/22 19:56:39
We have them here in Michigan.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/22 20:23:08
Ooops...maybe I should put sTella doro on the heading...sorry
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/23 00:50:47
ah, I haven't had a Stella Doro breadstick in a long time. Gosh, I used to love them. dunk 'em in coffee for b'fast or for dessert.
We had them in upstate ny, (I think it they were sold all over the country or at least a really big part of it.)
fdaniels
Hamburger
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/23 01:46:43
They have them in Chicago
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/23 03:33:52
That factory used to have a very nice little Italian "red sauce" restaurant attached...and they used to give you a nice little dish of Stella d'Oro cookies gratis at the end of the meal!
Alas, I think it has been almost twenty years since they sold the restaurant to new owners (and almost twenty years since I last ate there). A little disappointing...the entrees had gone up in price, and no free cookies at the end!! No fair, since you can smell them wafting over from the factory!
I think the restaurant changed its name to the Carriage House. Anyone know if it still exists?
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/23 10:52:19
Well the next time I go to the grocerystore I'll look for their products.they used to sell them at H.E.B.Grocery stores here in my area.Will check it out.
Mitchell25418
Hamburger
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/23 10:56:58
The restaurant is long gone. If you drive by the factory at the right time, mmmmmm the most amazing aroma. Great stuff made here in the Bronx
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/23 11:47:11
They used to have Stella d'Oro at the Giant Eagle supermarkets here, and they likely still have it at the Italian specialty market where I shop.
Ashphalt
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/23 11:59:05
I seem to recall Stella Doro something, maybe the breadsticks, being marketed as a good diet food back in the 60s. I think the idea was that it was a substitute for 2 slices of bread for a sandwich, or maybe it was meant to be a snack.

Funny thing is, in the 80s a friend of mine used to buy the prune cookies as a "diet" snack. They were really quite good, kind of like a drier, not as sweet small prune danish. Decent calorie count, too, unless you ate a half-dozen, which wasn't hard.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/23 12:02:00
The original factory was at in Manhattan at the next to last stop on the IRT just before Van Courtland Park. I went to Manhattan College which is at 242nd just off Broadway. When the wind was blowing in our direction the aroma was
FAN-TAS-TIC----

It was just like the old cartoons where some one would be cooking something and the great smells would be shown as a stream floating through the air and ol' Bugs Bunny (he gotta be 80 by now)would be up on his tip-toes just gliding along following that aroma.

The anise was a killer, you could almost taste it as well as smell it. Manga, manga !!!!!!!!!
RedPatti
Cheeseburger
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/23 12:40:18
Love their products here in California since the 60's. Especially the puffs. Great to nibble on while grocery shopping.
Mitchell25418
Hamburger
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/23 12:51:38
Wow - a fellow Jasper - nice to hear it. When did you graduate Mariner? 1995 for me, but still live in the area.
SassyGritsAL
RE: Stella Doro 2006/10/25 11:56:10
Quite often at Big Lots (in their food section) I see Stella Doro brands. The anise are my favorite.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Stella Doro 2007/01/19 02:00:59
I luv Stella Doro products. Especially the Anisette Toast and the Roman Egg Biscuits (which I don't know if they make anymore), and of course their bread sticks.
waiterhell
Hamburger
RE: Stella Doro 2007/01/19 03:09:07
I really love Stella Dra sesame breadsticks dredged in chunky peanut butter......sounds odd, taste GREAT! ; )
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Stella Doro 2007/01/19 09:56:07
Technical point: I think it's Stella D'Oro gold star, not Stella as in a person.....
Ashphalt
RE: Stella Doro 2007/01/19 10:22:49
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Technical point: I think it's Stella D'Oro gold star, not Stella as in a person.....

You're probably right, but it would have been great if they'd gotten Marlon Brando to do their ads.

"Hey Stellaaaahhh!"
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Stella Doro 2007/01/21 13:38:56
or Stella D'oro sung as Nessun D'orma by Pavarotti.
(popular song from the opera Turandot by Puccini ... ya might recognise it if you heard it ;-)
Trishkaidekaphobia
Cheeseburger
RE: Stella Doro 2007/02/11 07:23:22
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

or Stella D'oro sung as Nessun D'orma by Pavarotti.
(popular song from the opera Turandot by Puccini ... ya might recognise it if you heard it ;-)

LMAO!
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Stella Doro 2007/02/11 08:14:41
Nessum Dorma (No One Sleeps) is one of my favorite arias. I was playing it yesterday, by Michael Amante a great American tenor, while I cleaned the condo. And, bingo, here it appears on Roadfood the very next morning. Gotta be an omen of some sort (no one sleeps,hummmmmm).

Mitchell 25418 ---------- Class of '50----long before your father knew your mother, my boy. It was a fun school back then, is the Pine Tree still at the foot of the subway stairs ????