WV Custard Stand hot dog chili

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
  • Reward points : 0
WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Sat, 11/4/06 1:53 AM
HAs anyone tried this chili? I thought I had seen it here on the board but I didn't find anything when I searched.

Wal-Mart is carrying it and I thought about trying it. It's a 3lb tub and goes for 10 something. Not sure i want to spend 11 bucks on who knows what.

MikeS.

MikeS.
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Tue, 11/7/06 1:18 AM
Well I went and wasted my money. Please don't follow suit.

MikeS.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Tue, 11/7/06 6:24 AM
If I get a chili sauce pre-made, it's usually Castleberrys. Only reason being is it's less then 50 cents a can (and for that price you cant go wrong). I've been wanting to try the Tony Packos brand, but a little jar of that (probably enough for 8 dogs) is 3 bucks. And for 3 bucks, I can make a quart of my homemade sauce and not be disappointed. Thanks for the heads up on the WV Custard Stand sauce.. Saves me the temptation if I see it.

RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Tue, 11/7/06 7:29 AM
I saw some frozen skyline at krogers a few days ago so I purchased some for chili-dogs (tomorrow). Havent seen it in this market before so hoping it's good.

UncleVic
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Tue, 11/7/06 7:56 AM
Larry, be sure to give us a report! I hear Skyline is available here at Meijers.

RibRater
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Wed, 11/8/06 11:03 AM
Well, it wasn't my cup of tea. After heating up the skyline chili, it had a faint nutmeg/cinnamon smell. Dropped it onto a couple of natural casing dogs (steamed with steamed buns), a littel mustard, some onions, and crackerbarrel extra sharp cheddar on one.

The chili still retained that very faint smell and tasted the same. Not sure if that's one of the spices or not but to me it was not a good taste/smell for chili.

UncleVic
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Wed, 11/8/06 11:42 AM
Reminds me of the chili sauce I had down in Indiana (Think the little chain of hot dog stands was called B&K).. That nutmeg cinnamon taste aint for me either..

MikeS.
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Thu, 11/9/06 10:13 AM
Larry, those dogs look real good. I like Cincy chili even with the nutmeg/cinnamon thing going on.

RibRater
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Thu, 11/9/06 11:45 AM
I really need to find a chili I like here. There are is no roach coach in this area with a new yorker at the wheel serving chili dogs like I use to get down in Florida.

Also, I know this is not going to go over well with some, but I really prefer kraft mayo on my chili dogs. I can eat mustard but KM just blends better with a good dog, good chili, and fresh onions.

kagaga@707
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Tue, 12/12/06 1:36 PM
The best hot dot sauce ever is at Dee's Drive Inn in Louisa, Ky. It is truly the best hot dot sauce you will ever eat. you can order it and they will ship it anywhere. If you want a great hot dot you have to try this

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9547
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Tue, 12/12/06 2:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kagaga@707

The best hot dot sauce ever is at Dee's Drive Inn in Louisa, Ky. It is truly the best hot dot sauce you will ever eat. you can order it and they will ship it anywhere. If you want a great hot dot you have to try this.

Give us some Contact Info please. Web site Address, Phone 3 Etc [|)]

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9547
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Tue, 12/12/06 2:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

HAs anyone tried this chili? I thought I had seen it here on the board but I didn't find anything when I searched.

Wal-Mart is carrying it and I thought about trying it. It's a 3lb tub and goes for 10 something. Not sure i want to spend 11 bucks on who knows what.

MikeS.

There's a thread under recipes, Topic: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe, that has some good recipes. i made Stogie's Recipe and it was very tasty

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Tue, 12/12/06 2:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

There's a thread under recipes, Topic: Killer Hot Dog Chili Recipe, that has some good recipes. i made Stogie's Recipe and it was very tasty

Here is the URL for the thread:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=784

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Tue, 12/12/06 4:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

Well, it wasn't my cup of tea. After heating up the skyline chili, it had a faint nutmeg/cinnamon smell. Dropped it onto a couple of natural casing dogs (steamed with steamed buns), a littel mustard, some onions, and crackerbarrel extra sharp cheddar on one.

The chili still retained that very faint smell and tasted the same. Not sure if that's one of the spices or not but to me it was not a good taste/smell for chili.

L-R-J

Skyline is an acquired taste, yes it is supposed to smell like that!

If you are used to a tx style chili, you probably will not like cincy style.

The frozen stuff is ok, but you have to try the chili from an actual skyline before you can condemn it totally. Come to Cincy & I will take you on a tour of Cincy style chili places.

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4482
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Tue, 12/12/06 4:58 PM
also, the dog typically used is a very small and cheap one, very lightly grilled (sometimes boiled) and uses mild cheddar.

repartee
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Fri, 02/9/07 2:20 PM
Cajun King,

I'm coming to Cincinnati. Will you take me on a tour of the chilli places?

WVCitySlicker
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Wed, 09/24/08 12:57 PM
I called the company because they just have ketchup listed as an ingredient, they told me they use Heinz ketchup - Heinz has HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup in it).

Born in OKC
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: WV Custard Stand hot dog chili - Wed, 09/24/08 9:26 PM
Excerpts from a post I made in the Cincinnati chili thread recently after returning from Naples Florida and visiting the Skyline location and other restaurants there.

I have to say, up front, that my "milk chili" was Southwestern, or Texan (see my posts under Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice) but I'll try a dish of something with the same name in other places. I've never been to Cincinatti and if I go I certainly have the names of several well regarded chili places to try there, and I will.

But I was going to talk about ... the Skyline version in particular. My impression of the the "three-way," I guess it was, spaghetti, cheese, and onions is that it is more like an Italian dish than anything else. Some one else ... mentioned a spagheti and meat sauce dish. Also, the copius amount of cheese entirely overwhelmed the chili - and I like cheese. Worst, the cheese and the seasoning in the chili, the "Greek" spices, do not go together - and I like Greek dishes. If I had gotten it with beans that would have added kidney beans I think, and again, that's different than what I grew up with.

I'd also comment that it is more of a bowl of brown than a bowl of red, again because of the Greek seasonings, I think.

In fairness, I'd have to say I have tried Skyline canned chili and did not have all of the same objections. One of these days I'll try their frozen and see how that goes. But next time I try the fresh product I'll get just a plain bowkl of chili with onions and maybe cheese on the side. If I add a lot of hot sauce that might be a better bowl of chili for someone with Southwestern tastes.

If and when I get to Concinnatti I will try the chili at three or two places there, at least. But for the moment, in Naples, Florida, the chili at Pastrami Dan's (made by "Dan's" mother) beats Skykine by a wide margin.

In closing, I 'd note that Pastrami Dan's is right up the street (Highway 41) and is a great roadfood place. Limited menu of pastrami and roast beef sandwiches and hot dogs and chili dogs and bowls of chili. Good food to drink a beer with - which they have. Unless you are already a Skyline fan, get your chili at Pastrami Dan's, especially if you grew eating a bowl of red.