Hot!Let's see the recipes - here is mine

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/02 18:59:35 (permalink)
Thanks for posting Frank's recipe, and welcome to roadfood! What it took me some time, as a texas chili cook, to learn here at roadfood, is that everyone is not from Texas. Folks in Cinci like their chili over pasta, and with some ciniman and maybe even celery. Folks in CA, well, who knows? Try reading the chili threads here and you will get an idea of what I am trying to say. The same debate happens with pizza. Is CiCi's mack n cheese pizza... pizza?

Is Wolf Brand w/ beans chili? Well, who knows??? Try reading the "weird things" chiii thread here and you will be amazed. And do not miss the "fantasy chili parlor" thread. Is it chili with smoked oysters? Hey, that was my addition to the weird thread. Try it and you might like it, who knows. I sometimes like to top each spoon w/ that pearl making delight.

I like to reserect long lost chili recipes, like Shanghai Jimmy's and Benny Binion's. Bob Pools famous towntown Dallas recipe from the 40's is still lost. Maybe you can help?

Anyway, some of the best chili info on the net is right here at roadfood. Glad to have anouther chili head join us.
Joe
martipr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/04 16:11:09 (permalink)
I realize that many different people call many different things Chili. This is true even in Texas. If I called Bologna Salami it would not make it so and calling all those soups and stews, no matter how tasty, Chili does not make them Chili.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/04 16:36:11 (permalink)
When does chili become chili stew? It all depends depends on who you ask, and where they are from.

Now, back to my quest for the perfect chili mack and cheese Texas style pizza, made on a flour tortilla! And some leftover Hoppin Papa good luck stew.
Joe
genewj
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/12 18:57:12 (permalink)
Looks good but too Pricy for a Hot dog cart!
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/13 09:04:19 (permalink)

I think that folks who claim that there is only one way to make chili are elitists. It can only be found in Texas? I'm sure that New Mexico could produce a fine bowl.

I too do not have a written recipe that I can give. I base my chili on a show I saw on PBS years ago before there were cooking TV networks. The show went from kitchen to kitchen producing 'Anglo' chili.
The segment then went to this hacienda where a little Mexican woman was making her chili for the ranch hands. She just picked up handfuls of chili powder, cumin and other seasonings. She has since become my inspiration.

My recipe is a close approximation of what others make. I put diced beef instead of ground. I am generous with the chili powder and cumin. Plenty of garlic. Chipotle makes an appearance. Cilantro. I like beans. Chili, rice and beans are a complete example of all food groups.. .. except for the dessert food group.
What others have mentioned and is a nice touch is masa at the end. I make the chili a little soupy just so it can be thickened up. I sprinkle some cornmeal into the mixture.

mark
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/13 09:47:41 (permalink)
Well said Doggydaddy! Chili, like jazz, is a truely American thing. And chili, like Jazz, starts with a basic concept and goes from there. Every pot has it's own soul!
Joe
oDey in LA
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/17 10:07:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TxConnie

Okay-- I cheat. I only make Chili with Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili mix and add extra cayenne pepper. Meat varies- but I think Venison is the best.

Wick Fowler's mix is the very best I think. I have been using it at least 35 years since he franchised it . He was a writer for a Fort Worth newspaper and he used to always push the annual chili cookoff contest in Terlingula TX(spelling not correct. He died many years ago but his seasoning is even sold in Europe.

I use at least two pounds of coarse ground 80/20 chuck) Also I use two cans of the extra hot Rotel's diced tomatoes and chili peppers and an extra can of tomato paste all in addition to the ingrediants listed on the package. I do not use the mesa flour as it thickens it too much for me but that is just a personal preference.. Don't spare the course ground chuck but make sure it is sauteed well done and grease removed before tossing into the mix. Keep adding water as it cooks down and cook lo simmer for at least an hour for additional taste enrichment. The adding of extra chili powder or leaving out some is the way you make it 1 alarm, 2 alarm (as is the recipe on the package, 3 alarm (extra chili powder) 4 alarm (three alarm plus the ROTEL Extra Hot diced tomatoes and chile peppers instead of regular). There is supposedly a 5 alarm which is 4 alarm but in addition to all the above adding HABANERO Pepper slices to the mix. I love it hot but don't think I want above 4 alarm.

Of course if it is true Texas NO BEANS allowed but if you don't like it really hot the beans will decrease the heat.......

Thank God for Texas and for Wick Fowler's chili mix... Bill
mland520
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/17 10:23:38 (permalink)
just a little addition to any and all chili recipes-
I have my own chili- make it often (weather permitting) needs to be cold for me to want to eat it- and I usually don't measure- but here are the ingredients:

chopped onion
jalapeno peppers-chopped
smoky ancho chiles( dried- to rehydrate soak in hot coffee- remove seeds and chop)
add the liquid from the soak as well as dutch process chocolate (not the stuff you drink but baking type) usually a couple of soup spoons full
chili meat- either pork or beef or venison
Ranch Style beans- any one you prefer- we use pinto beans, but you could use black beans or even black-eyed peas
ground cumin, cinnamon, and Mexican chipolte chile powder
and of course S & P to taste.

Some of my friends just add the chocolate to their own recipes- try it- just adds an extra layer of flavor- and the spices really stand out!

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5463
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/17 12:53:01 (permalink)
From Corabeth;

saw Emeril last night (best chef of all time!)
and he made a delish looking con carne recipe as follows:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
4 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 (15-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups water

Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the meat and stir with a long-handled wooden spoon to break up the pieces. Cook, stirring, until the meat is brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, green bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, Essence, salt, cumin, oregano, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Put the whole tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and squeeze them with your hands to break them into pieces. Add the squeezed tomatoes and their juices, the tomato paste, sugar, and water to the pot. Stir well and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the con carne from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Remove the pot from the heat, and ladle into a large bowl.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/18 00:18:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

When does chili become chili stew? It all depends depends on who you ask, and where they are from.

Now, back to my quest for the perfect chili mack and cheese Texas style pizza, made on a flour tortilla! And some leftover Hoppin Papa good luck stew.
Joe

There ain't no such thang as Chili Stew,. It's either Chili or it ain't. Period! End of discussion
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2982
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/20 12:37:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by martipr

I realize that many different people call many different things Chili. This is true even in Texas. If I called Bologna Salami it would not make it so and calling all those soups and stews, no matter how tasty, Chili does not make them Chili.

Oh I dunno. That's more of an etymological question, isn't it? Just kidding. I think part of the best fun about chili is arguing this point. I'd go as far as to say, it isn't chili if you can't argue about it!

FWIW, I used to make a pretty complex chili, and it was pretty good. Now I use tiki's (edit: Bushie's, through tiki) stripped down basic recipe. It is absolutely perfect in its simplicity and balance. But I toss some beans into it.

Tom
Grillmeister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/20 15:00:16 (permalink)

I've noticed the argument over what chili is and isn't lately, and I feel compelled to add that "It ain't rocket science". The Chili Appreciation Society International (CASI) of Terlingua fame gives a clear definition of constitutes the "state dish of Texas".

As quoted from Article I, Section A (Chili Cooking Rules):

"1. CHILI COOKED FROM SCRATCH - "Scratch" is defined as starting with raw meat. No marinating is allowed. Commercial chili powder is permissible, but complete commercial chili mixes ("just add meat" mixes that contain premeasured spices) are NOT permitted.
2. NO FILLERS IN CHILI - Beans, macaroni, rice, hominy, or other similar ingredients are not permitted."

Those recipes that do not meet this simple criteria are not allowed to compete. This still leaves a wide latitude for individual creativity and diversity.

I, for one, take it to the next level by using only beef and banning all vegetables except chiles, onion, tomato, and garlic. Stories abound of old school "brick chili" cooks who got into fistfights over the use of tomato! There are many great tasting recipes listed on this thread, but please, don't call them chili. Elitist? Perhaps, but Texans hold to their definition of chili for three reasons:

1. Accuracy. You wouldn't plop down a hamburger on the grill and call it BBQ, so why should you call a stew chili? Bastardization of a theme doesn't go on as much over on the hot dog and pizza threads so why should it here?
2. Hospitality. Fillers like beans and other vegetables reduce the amount of meat in each bite, and are regarded as a cheap trick to put over on guests. Besides, they don't freeze well.
3. Preservation of the cultural distinctiveness of our state. The use of beef, and chiles reflect the historical and agricultural trends that made Texas great (i.e. cattle industry, Hispanic heritage, etc). Think of it as a history lesson in a bowl!

So, when a Texas chili head gets vocal about their way of cooking chili, it is for the aforementioned reasons...and NOT to disparage anyone else. Go ahead and let 'em cook up a batch of their Texas Red...you'll probably be invited over to try some!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/20 19:56:39 (permalink)
Grillmeister, being of Texas heritage, both parents came from there and many cousins still live there, I understand what you are saying. But (ya knew that was coming didn't ya?) I think chili has become one of those words that are generic. Kleenex doesn't like it, nor does Jello or Coke but it is a fact in American English. Chili is no longer just Texas red.

I tell this story occasionally, here it is again. While a young lad of about 11 my dad's oldest brother came for a visit from Texas. Dad and I went to Granny's house to visit her and my Uncle, when we got there Uncle was in the kitchen cooking something. I asked him what he was cooking and he replied chili. I then asked "where are the beans?"

Oh boy! He replied, very roughly and loud, "Damn it boy, chili ain't got no damn beans"

Dad came in and asked, what did you do, ask for beans?

MikeS.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2982
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/21 19:18:59 (permalink)
I've had horrible chili without beans. I've had great chili with beans. I say, it's chili either way.

Right now my current recipe is no beans and no tomato. But there will come a day when I change it to beans and tomato, and it will still be chili.

Tom
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/01/23 14:34:10 (permalink)
only chilli stew i ever saw was Red Top Stew---which is a bowl of vegetable stew top with a big old scoop of Texas red!!!
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/02/25 17:34:16 (permalink)
Here is the SHORT version of a chilli recipe I sent to a friend 3 or 4 years ago. He had requested a chilli recipe and I had just run across Puppy's Breath Chili so I sent it to him. He wrote back and said, "I wanted a chilli recipe not a career". LOL. In central Illinois its spelled chilli by the way and it always contains beans. I'm going to post what is referred to as Tavern Chili in Springfield right after this post.
Jack

Puppy's Breath Chili
This recipe took the first place $25,000 prize at the
World's Chili Championship in Reno, Nevada.

Ingredients:

3 lbs. tri-tip beef or sirloin tip, cut in small pieces or ground coarse
2 tsp cooking oil
1 small yellow onion
1 14 1/2 oz can beef broth
3 1/2 tbl ground cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tbl Gebhardt chili powder
1 tbl New Mexico mild chili powder
5-6 tsp of California chili powder
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 dried New Mexico chili pepper, boiled and pureed
3 dried California chili peppers
1 14 1/2 oz. can chicken broth
1 tsp of Tabasco pepper sauce
1 tsp of brown sugar
1 lime
Dash of MSG
Salt to taste

Directions:

Brown meat in oil for about 30 minutes over medium heat. Add onion and enough beef broth to cover meat. Bring to boil and cook for 15 minutes.

Add 1 Tbl cumin and 1/2 tsp oregano. Reduce heat to light boil and add half of the garlic. Add half of the chili powder, and cook for 10 minutes.

Add tomato sauce and pulp from the dried peppers and remaining garlic. Add any remaining beef broth and chicken broth for desired consistency.

Cook for one hour on medium heat stirring occasionally. Add remaining chili powders and cumin. Simmer for 25 minutes on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Turn up heat to light boil and add Tabasco pepper sauce, salt to taste, brown sugar and juice of lime. Simmer on medium heat.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/02/25 18:03:35 (permalink)
Here is a version of a typical Illinois chilli recipe referred to as Tavern Chilli.
Jack

4-Lbs course Ground Beef
4 ½-5-Lbs Suet
4.4 Oz Chilli Powder
2- Tablespoons Salt
¾-Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1-Teaspoon Ground Oregano
3- Teaspoons Cumin
2-Teaspoons Red Pepper
Brooks Hot Chilli Beans

Rend Suet in one cup of water. Boil stirring constantly and continue until it stops foaming, remove the foam off the top as you go. Set aside and let cool.

Add the meat and break it up into small pieces as it cooks Add the spices and continue to stir and crumble the meat during the cooking process. Just before the meat is done add the rendered suet. Continue to stir until the entire mixture is heated.

Cook beans separately and when the beans are hot add them to the bowl first then top the beans with as much of the chilli as desired. Makes a great chilli Hot Dog also.

Some bars add additional hot spices to the suet and don’t mix the suet and meat until just before it’s served. In fact they’ll make two or 3 variations of varying degrees of heat in the individual suet’s and then you can order Med, Hot, or Firebrand and varying degrees in-between those categories.

PS Ok I don’t want to hear about heart attacks etc. I don’t care it’s my heart. Furthermore if your health conscious don’t complain about it and don’t eat it. This was served in almost every bar in Springfield; 10 years ago today at least half of them serve this recipe or something close to it.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/02/25 20:52:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

Here is a version of a typical Illinois chilli recipe referred to as Tavern Chilli.
Jack

4-Lbs course Ground Beef
4 ½-5-Lbs Suet
4.4 Oz Chilli Powder
2- Tablespoons Salt
¾-Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1-Teaspoon Ground Oregano
3- Teaspoons Cumin
2-Teaspoons Red Pepper
Brooks Hot Chilli Beans

Rend Suet in one cup of water. Boil stirring constantly and continue until it stops foaming, remove the foam off the top as you go. Set aside and let cool.

Add the meat and break it up into small pieces as it cooks Add the spices and continue to stir and crumble the meat during the cooking process. Just before the meat is done add the rendered suet. Continue to stir until the entire mixture is heated.

Cook beans separately and when the beans are hot add them to the bowl first then top the beans with as much of the chilli as desired. Makes a great chilli Hot Dog also.

Some bars add additional hot spices to the suet and don’t mix the suet and meat until just before it’s served. In fact they’ll make two or 3 variations of varying degrees of heat in the individual suet’s and then you can order Med, Hot, or Firebrand and varying degrees in-between those categories.

PS Ok I don’t want to hear about heart attacks etc. I don’t care it’s my heart. Furthermore if your health conscious don’t complain about it and don’t eat it. This was served in almost every bar in Springfield; 10 years ago today at least half of them serve this recipe or something close to it.

The problem is, doun here in AZ we have a hard time finding Suet. Any Suggestions[|)][|)]
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/02/26 00:17:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme
The problem is, doun here in AZ we have a hard time finding Suet. Any Suggestions

Not knowing the area no but my first shot would be a grocery store that still cuts meat. That means no chain stores and it may force you to go to some kind of rural area butcher shop. But I'm thinking ranchers would know someone that has suet. Sorry I can't be of more help.I do know if you get good suet (white) rather than bad suet (yellow) it makes killer greasy Illinois chilli.
Jack@DrofBBQ.com
PS Or find someone as close as possible to get it shipped to you frozen.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/03/28 18:26:01 (permalink)
Cooks Illustrated
Making Great Chili
The secret is using large cubes of beef chuck and a mixture of fresh and oven-roasted chiles.

The Problem: One of the biggest challenges we faced when we decided to try and come up with the "best" recipe for chili was to narrow the competition. There are so many different kinds of chili (Texas, New Mexico, Cincinnati, to name a few) that we knew we had to decide on a particular style and go from there.

The Goal: Our choice was Texas chili, a beanless dish that goes heavy on the meat (usually beef) and favors the use of ancho chiles, which have a deep, sweet, raisiny flavor. Once we knew (sort of) what we were after, we could concentrate on making a great bowl of Texas-style chili.

The Solution: While ancho chile powder will do, we got the best chile flavor by toasting and grinding fresh chiles. Flavor is also improved by adding bacon, which lends the dish sweetness and smokiness. Thickening helps, too, making for a smoother, softer, and more appealing sauce. (This can be accomplished with cornstarch, but masa harina--a type of corn flour made from sun- or fire-dried corn kernels--is preferred; unlike the cornstarch, it actually adds flavor while it thickens.)

One final ingredient that makes for a really great chili is time--chili improves from an overnight rest that gives the flavors a chance to blend and mellow.

Chili Con Carne
To ensure the best chile flavor, I recommend toasting whole dried chiles and grinding them in a mini-chopper or spice-dedicated coffee grinder, all of which takes only ten (very well-spent) minutes. Select dried chiles that are moist and pliant, like dried fruit. Count on trimming one-half to a full pound of waste from your chuck roast, so start with a four-pound roast to end up with three to three-and-a-half pounds of beef cubes. For hotter chili, boost the heat with a pinch of cayenne, a dash of hot pepper sauce, or crumbled pequin chiles near the end of cooking. Serve the chili with any of the following side dishes: warm pinto or kidney beans, corn bread or chips, corn tortillas or tamales, rice, biscuits, or just plain crackers, and top with any of the following garnishes: chopped fresh cilantro leaves, minced white onion, diced avocado, shredded cheddar or jack cheese, or sour cream.

Serves 6

3 tablespoons ancho chili powder or 3 medium pods (about 1/2 ounce), toasted and ground (see illustrations below)
3 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder or 3 medium pods (about 3/4 ounce), toasted and ground
2 tablespoons cumin seeds , toasted in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 4 minutes, and ground
2 teaspoons dried oregano , preferably Mexican
7 1/2 cups water , divided
1 beef chuck roast (4-pounds), trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 teaspoons table salt , plus extra for seasoning
8 ounces bacon (7 or 8 slices), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 medium onion , minced (about 1 cup)
5 medium cloves garlic , minced
4 - 5 small jalapeño chiles , cored, seeded, and minced
1 cup crushed tomatoes (canned), or plain tomato sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice from 1 medium lime
5 tablespoons masa harina or 3 tablespoons cornstarch
Ground black pepper

1. Mix chili powders, cumin, and oregano in small bowl and stir in 1/2 cup water to form thick paste; set aside. Toss beef cubes with salt; set aside.

2. Fry bacon in large, heavy soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium-low heat until fat renders and bacon crisps, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate; pour all but 2 teaspoons fat from pot into small bowl; set aside. Increase heat to medium-high; sauté meat in four batches until well-browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch, adding additional 2 teaspoons bacon fat to pot as necessary. Reduce heat to medium, add 3 tablespoons bacon fat to now-empty pan. Add onion; sauté until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chili paste; sauté until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add reserved bacon and browned beef, crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce, lime juice, and 7 cups water; bring to simmer. Continue to cook at a steady simmer until meat is tender and juices are dark, rich, and starting to thicken, about 2 hours.

3. Mix masa harina with 2/3 cup water (or cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water) in a small bowl to form smooth paste. Increase heat to medium; stir in paste and simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning generously with salt and ground black pepper. Serve immediately, or preferably, cool slightly, cover, and refrigerate overnight or for up to 5 days. Reheat before serving.

STEP BY STEP: Toasting and Preparing the Chiles

1. Dried chile pods toasted in a 350-degree oven for about 6 minutes become fragrant and puffed.
2. When cool enough to handle, remove stems and seeds from the pods, rip them into pieces, and process until powdery, 30 to 45 seconds.

Smoky Chipotle Chili Con Carne
Grill-smoking the meat, a technique from food writers John and Matt Lewis Thorne, authors of the Serious Pig (North Point Press, 1996), in combination with chipotle chiles give this chili a distinct but not overwhelming, smoky flavor. Make sure you start with a chuck roast that is at least three inches thick. The grilling is meant to flavor the meat by searing the surface and smoking it lightly, not to cook it.

Serves 6

Beef Rub
4 medium cloves garlic
2 teaspoons table salt
1 beef chuck roast (4-pounds)
2 - 3 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder

Chili
3 tablespoons ancho chili powder or 3 medium pods (about 1/2 ounce), toasted and ground (see illustrations below)
3 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder or 3 medium pods (about 3/4 ounce), toasted and ground
2 tablespoons cumin seeds , toasted in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 4 minutes, and ground
2 teaspoons dried oregano , preferably Mexican
1/2 cup water
8 ounces bacon (7 or 8 slices), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 medium onion , minced (about 1 cup)
5 cloves garlic , minced (about 1 cup)
5 chipotle chiles en adobo , minced
1 cup crushed tomatoes (canned) or plain tomato sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice from 1 medium lime
5 tablespoons masa harina or 3 tablespoons cornstarch
Table salt and ground black pepper

1. To Prepare Meat: Puree garlic cloves with salt. Rub intact chuck roast with puree, and sprinkle evenly with New Mexico chili powder; cover and set aside. Meanwhile, build hot fire. When you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill surface for no more than 3 seconds, spread hot coals to area about the size of roast. Open bottom grill vents, scatter one cup soaked mesquite or hickory wood chips over hot coals, and set grill rack in place. Grill roast over hot coals, opening lid vents three-quarters of the way and covering so that vents are opposite bottom vents to draw smoke through and around roast. Sear meat until all sides are dark and richly colored, about 12 minutes per side. Remove roast to bowl; when cool to the touch, trim and cut into 1-inch cubes, reserving juices.

2. For Chili: Mix chili powders, cumin, and oregano in small bowl and stir in 1/2 cup water to form thick paste; set aside.

3. Fry bacon in large, heavy soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium-low heat until fat renders and bacon crisps, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate; pour all but 3 teaspoons fat from pot into small bowl; set aside. Increase heat to medium. Add onion; sauté until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and chipotles; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chili paste; sauté until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add reserved bacon and beef (with juices), crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce, lime juice, and 7 cups water; bring to simmer. Continue to cook at a steady simmer until meat is tender and juices are dark, rich, and starting to thicken, about 2 hours.

4. Mix masa harina with 2/3 cup water (or cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water) in a small bowl to form smooth paste. Increase heat to medium; stir in paste and simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning generously with salt and ground black pepper. Serve immediately, or preferably, cool slightly, cover, and refrigerate overnight or for up to 5 days. Reheat before serving.

STEP BY STEP: Toasting and Preparing the Chiles

1. Dried chile pods toasted in a 350-degree oven for about 6 minutes become fragrant and puffed.
2. When cool enough to handle, remove stems and seeds from the pods, rip them into pieces, and process until powdery, 30 to 45 seconds.
Jack@DrofBBQ.com

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/04/08 00:20:55 (permalink)
As threatened - here is my all purpose chilli recipe. The ground chuck is, of course, chilli grind.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal Master (tm) v8.06

Title: The Recipe
Categories: Beef, Chilli, Stews
Yield: 6 Quarts

115 g Kidney Suet (4 oz)
5 lb Ground chuck
3 Ribs celery
16 oz Can chicken broth
48 oz Can tomato juice; Red Gold
1 1/2 tb vinegar
1/2 tb Prune juice
1 tb Arrowroot (opt) -=IN=-
2 tb Tap water (opt)

MMMMM------------------------FIRST-DUMP------------------------------
10 g Jalapeno; powdered *
35 g Beef base
115 g Chilli powder **
65 g Cumin
20 g Brown sugar 20 g
15 g Onion powder (granules)
15 g garlic powder (granules)
25 g Salt
5 g Oregano; dried, crumbled
5 g White pepper
10 g Worcestershire powder ***

MMMMM------------------------SECOND DUMP-----------------------------
25 g Chilliman chilli mix +
10 g Cumin 10 g
2 g Salt (1/2 ts)

MMMMM-------------------------OPTIONAL-------------------------------
3 48 oz Cn Brooks Chilli Beans

* Or use two FAT jalapeno chilies, diced fine, no seeds.
Adjust this according to your taste for heat. This recipe
sometimes gets me marked off by the judges for "too hot".

** Baron's #5640 (aka Spicecraft) is a 5# container. It is
also available as #5610 in a 1# container.

*** 6 tablespoons of liquid Lea & Perrins Worcestershire.

+ Since Chilliman was sold their chilli mix is not the same
so I have been using Mexene (Bruce Foods) as a very nice
replacement

Chop the celery and blenderise it with the can of chicken
broth until the chunks are pureed. Transfer to a jar.

Measure and weigh out the dry spice ingredients and mix
together in a container (a baggie will do).

Render the suet in the chilli pot and add ground chuck.
Cook meat stirring often to break up clumps until all the
pink is gone from the meat.

Add the beef base, tomato juice and the pureed celery in
chicken broth that you fixed the night previously. Bring
to a nice boil.

Add your first dump of spices and reduce heat to a medium
simmer. Stir often and cook until the fat begins to render
from the meat. Add the vinegar and the prune juice and
continue to cook and stir.

After an hour and a half turn off your stove and let the
chilli rest for an hour. You may use this time to
contemplate your navel or to skim off the rendered oil
(reserving it to pop popcorn in at home - or to add back
to the chilli after the judges get done with it) or other
necessary cook-off activities such as washing up your
utensils and/or skulking around and spying on the other
cooks.

About thirty minutes before turn-in time - fire up your
stove and bring the chilli back to a nice simmer. Add the
second spice dump. Continue to cook and stir and taste.
Make any final adjustments.

You can put the chilli in the ice box overnight if cooking
this recipe at home. It works even better that way. But,
we must make some compromises to keep to a schedule at a
cook-off.

Remember that optional stuff we mentioned in the
ingredients??? If you feel that the chilli is too "thin"
use that optional TB of arrowroot mixed in the 2 TB of
water, stirring it in at least 15 minutes before turn in
to give it a chance to thicken things up.

Beans are permissible at home - but, not at a chilli cook
off. Leave out the suet at a chilli cook-off. However, it
makes an excellent pot of chilli truly wonderful.

MM Format by Dave Drum - 17 January 2005

MMMMM

A couple of notes here - this recipe is now one I consider to be my own. However, like almost all recipes is is based on experience, observation and the work of others. I started out with a chilli supper recipe developed by my friend Les Eastep.

I like my chilli with a fair amount of oil ... but, chilli cook-off judges will mark you off for that. And oil is what carries a lot of the flavour. So, if I don't add it back to the pot after turning in my judges cup - I take it home and make the most delightful chilli popcorn you could imagine.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/04/08 05:19:31 (permalink)
MikeS says---"I like my chilli with a fair amount of oil ... but, chilli cook-off judges will mark you off for that. And oil is what carries a lot of the flavour. So, if I don't add it back to the pot after turning in my judges cup - I take it home and make the most delightful chilli popcorn you could imagine"

I DO NOT COOK FOR JUDGES!--just for FRIENDS & FAMILY!
Mew_Blackberri
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/04/30 01:02:17 (permalink)
The sounds very good. My dad has an awesome chili recipe, though I'm sure it has a lot less ingridients. Basically red beans, ground beef, green peppers, onion, tomatos(diced), tomato paste and pinches of all sorts of spices. I'm still trying to get out of him exact amounts and what spices, but he won't tell me. XP
rubz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/06/06 10:08:48 (permalink)
The chili was excellent, Ed. Very flavorful.

I made some minor modifications (more garlic, dried New Mexican reds with the anchos and chipotles, Bell's Porter, more worcestershire and slightly less tomato sauce). I also had to sneak in the olives, celery, and mushrooms, so as not to offend purists.

I imagine it would be equally tasty with venison. Great stuff.

KOK
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/06/06 12:48:20 (permalink)
Lazy Chili

1lb ground beef
1lb stew meat cut into small cubes
1 28oz can tomatoes (I crush by hand and cut out tops - crushed tomatoes would work too)
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 bag frozen chopped onion
1 bag frozen chopped green peppers
1 28oz can Kidney beans
liberal spoonfuls of chopped garlic
chili powder
onion powder
garlic powder

Cook ground beef with onion/garlic powders and a good dash of hot sauce. Drain well. Repeat with stew meat.

Cook onions, peppers in a little olive oil until done to your liking. Add garlic. Add meat and 1/2 bottle of chili powder. Stir until blended and tomatoes and tomato paste.

After 30 minutes or so, add chili powder to taste. Add hot sauce to your liking. Simmer 1 - 3 hours

Extra beans (1 or 2 cans) can be added to extend the recipe without making it seem to cheap.

Thanks,

Kevin
NMBullRdr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/07/25 13:16:18 (permalink)
A bowl of red - Texas vs New Mexico

When you come across the border from Texas to New Mexico, everything changes.

As a transplanted Texan living in New Mexico, I make two different types of red, Texas Red chili and New Mexico chile.

The diffence is in the meat and chile powder. For Texas Red I like to use chile grind ground chuck and use a light chile powder. For New Mexico chile, I like to use cubed pork with Chimayo red chile powder.

I use my Texas Red for my chili dogs and chili cheese fries. I just sit down with a big bowl of New Mexico chile with a fresh made tortilla and enjoy. I do not put beans in my Texas Red or New Mexico Chile, but will have a bowl on the side for anyone who wants them.
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/08/05 03:59:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by Scallion1

I'm not going to comment on these recipes; I'm sure a lot of them are great.

But several of them hit a nerve: there's absolutely no reason to use extra virgin olive oil to saute the vegetables. It goes against my chef's hatred of waste. The best palate ever born couldn't tell the difference between using xvoo and "pure" olive oil, or, for that matter, Wesson oil, in these circumstances.

I renege: I will comment. The following have no place in making chili: olives. tomato soup. liquid smoke. vinegar. dried parsely/dried cilantro (should both be outlawed). chicken stock. cheeses. store-bought chopped garlic (should be outlawed). green beans. cauliflower. pizza sauce.

Go ahead and scream. You may be making something that tastes good, but it sure ain't chili.

Ok.. lets hear your recipe for "chili"
As this online dictionary puts it:...chil·i also chil·e or chil·li (ch#301;l'ç)
n., pl. chil·ies also chil·es or chil·lies.
The pungent fresh or dried fruit of any of several cultivated varieties of capsicum, used especially as a flavoring in cooking. Also called chili pepper.
Chili con carne.
Chili
A hearty, thick soup often made with meat and/or beans in a tomato base
chili con car·ne (k#335;n kär'nç)
n.
A highly spiced dish made of red peppers, meat, and often beans.

[Spanish : chile, chili + con, with + carne, meat.]

Let's see yours...

I'm for that!! It's easy to criticize, but let's see your's scallion1!
I have heard that chili with beans isn't really chili but ROOSY makes a great point! This is America, the greatest melting pot on the planet! Why can't my chili have beans, tomato juice, or whatever I want? Just goes to show what narrow minds some people have in regards to cooking.

David O.
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/08/07 20:11:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

MikeS says---"I like my chilli with a fair amount of oil ... but, chilli cook-off judges will mark you off for that. And oil is what carries a lot of the flavour. So, if I don't add it back to the pot after turning in my judges cup - I take it home and make the most delightful chilli popcorn you could imagine"

I DO NOT COOK FOR JUDGES!--just for FRIENDS & FAMILY!

Actually that's my recipe that Mike moved here from another thread. And I promise you that if you have somewhere around U$500 in your cooking set-up (tent, stove(s), coolers, etc) and paid a U$42 membership to ICS (or U$15 to CASI), a U$35 (or thereabouts) entry fee to the chilli cook off, spent around U$50 for meat, spices, etc. and transport to the cook-off, and maybe taken a Saturday off work, losing over a hundred bucks in pay - you'll at least take the judges into consideration.

Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/08/07 20:19:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

The problem is, doun here in AZ we have a hard time finding Suet. Any Suggestions[|)][|)]

Any grocery or stupormarkup with a service meat counter (real, live butchers) should be able to fix you up. Try to get kidney (white) suet as it has a better flavour. Tallow (yellow suet) is better than no suet at all - but, the kidney suet is best.
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Let's see the recipes - here is mine 2007/08/07 20:44:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

Jack

4-Lbs course Ground Beef
4 �-5-Lbs Suet

PS Ok I don�t want to hear about heart attacks etc. I don�t care it�s my heart. Furthermore if your health conscious don�t complain about it and don�t eat it. This was served in almost every bar in Springfield; 10 years ago today at least half of them serve this recipe or something close to it.

OK, you must, at least, be from Illinois since you spell chilli in the correct way. If you are still in Spring-A-Leak can you direct me to saloons which serve a decent bowl of red???

You recipe looks a lot like the old Lawson's Tavern recipe - but, Lawson's is long gone. As are Charlie Zaubi's, Schoenle's, etc. in fact most of the "old school" saloons where one could get an au gratin dish with double dipped Springfield Tavern chilli or with tamales added for a double header. Delaney's out north of Lincoln Park serves a decent bowl of chilli - but, it ain't old school Tavern Chilli. Spammy's in the old Charlie Zaubi location claims to have the McCoy - but, their chilli wouldn't even make vegetable soup - and would likely gag a skunk out of a garbage can. Kie Richards went to that great chilli pot in the sky and his was about the last saloon that I know of in town serving tavern-style greasy red.

Best bowl of good, old fashion, greasy tavern chilli is dipped up by Linda Lou at Joe's Chili (note incorrect spelling) Bowl in the Town and Country Shopping Centre. It's also served at the Dublin Pub next door so I suppose it does qualify as a tavern chilli.

If you know any places in Springfield, IL that serve good chilli, please, pull my coat and whisper the information in my shell-like ear. If you are still in the Central IL area and would be interested in eating lunch on Thursdays with a bunch of chilli cooks (at a different place each week) send your e-mail address to howdy.doodat (at) gmail (dot) com and I will see that you get on the mailing list for the lunch schedule.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1