Loberster Rolls

Post
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
2006/11/17 12:37:41
Can you get great Loberster rolls in the Midwest, around Chicago? If yes, where?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/11/17 12:42:42
quote:
Originally posted by Polish guy

Can you get great Loberster rolls in the Midwest, around Chicago? If yes, where?

The only way you're likely to get a lobster roll in the Midwest is if you make it yourself.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/11/17 13:13:21
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Polish guy

Can you get great Loberster rolls in the Midwest, around Chicago? If yes, where?

The only way you're likely to get a lobster roll in the Midwest is if you make it yourself.
... and, in my opinion, that is only if you can get a New England hot dog roll!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/11/17 13:19:57
Trying to find Lobster Rolls in Chicago is like trying to find Polish Food in Maine-

It won't happen!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/11/17 14:50:15
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Polish guy

Can you get great Loberster rolls in the Midwest, around Chicago? If yes, where?

The only way you're likely to get a lobster roll in the Midwest is if you make it yourself.
... and, in my opinion, that is only if you can get a New England hot dog roll!


Considering the fact that lobster rolls are served all over Connecticut in either type roll, I'd have to disagree.
FoodBully
Junior Burger
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/11/17 14:58:07
Two mail order sources for lobster salad with authentic New england hot dog buns are:

http://www.hancockgourmetlobster.com/product/lobster_rolls/Main_Entrees

http://www.deandeluca.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?merchant_rn=177&cgrfnbr=1112754&cgmenbr=177&parentcat=1112754&prrfnbr=2005687&prmenbr=177&prodadd=&source=thumbnail&source2=&startnum=1&pagenumber=1&multiple=

They are expensive, but sometimes a craving takes precedence over price.

Phil
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/11/17 16:19:27
quote:
Originally posted by Shewmaker

Two mail order sources for lobster salad with authentic New england hot dog buns are:

http://www.hancockgourmetlobster.com/product/lobster_rolls/Main_Entrees

http://www.deandeluca.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?merchant_rn=177&cgrfnbr=1112754&cgmenbr=177&parentcat=1112754&prrfnbr=2005687&prmenbr=177&prodadd=&source=thumbnail&source2=&startnum=1&pagenumber=1&multiple=

They are expensive, but sometimes a craving takes precedence over price.

Phil

Lobster salad?
Bulldozer Rectangle
Cheeseburger
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/11/18 11:34:01
Shewmaker, great link. I might have to do that sometime...

They are expensive, but they aren't cheap anywhere else either. When visiting my parents on Cape Cod this summer I needed to take out a loan everytime we went out to eat.

As to the cold salad/warm butter/split bun debate, I always prefer hot roll with New England bun. But that's just splitting hairs. I'll take either right now!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/11/29 20:15:35
Hot with butter for me!
Roy
Cheeseburger
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/11/29 20:51:17
roossy90 .. that looks like a Red's roll to me.
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/11/29 20:57:28
definately a red's roll- the tell tale signs are the car in the background, the super crisp ungreasy fries, the foil, the pepsi bottle, and the OVERFLOWING lobsta- no other lobsta roll even comes close please let it be april when red's opens again! please? please?
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/12/01 12:13:34
Grabbed the photo off google images.. I have no idea, but would love for it to be in MY hands right now.
OGsama
Junior Burger
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/12/13 17:56:48
Red's would be located where? Might be worth a stop on next summer's Northern Travels, that hot roll looks good.

I like all different sorts of lobster rolls, as long as the lobster is fresh and plentiful. Mostly I end up making my own out of leftovers the morning after a big feed, so it's usually cold salad style with just a skimp of lettuce.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Loberster Rolls 2006/12/13 18:21:24
quote:
Originally posted by OGsama

Red's would be located where? Might be worth a stop on next summer's Northern Travels, that hot roll looks good.

I like all different sorts of lobster rolls, as long as the lobster is fresh and plentiful. Mostly I end up making my own out of leftovers the morning after a big feed, so it's usually cold salad style with just a skimp of lettuce.


Wiscasset Maine, right in the middle of town. It is in my pantheon (Top 10) of all Roadfood establishments.
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
RE: Loberster Rolls 2007/02/03 15:00:05
best place for a lobster roll in NYC is The Lobster Place in Chelsea Market.
cookin
Junior Burger
RE: Loberster Rolls 2007/03/02 17:56:16
I know Everyone in the world has heard about Red's Eats in Wiscasset Maine but frankly we were not impressed the two times we tried it. First off the lobster meat is Cold and mayo or butter is served on the side. Don’t get me wrong, the meat is wonderful but if I want whole entire pieces of claw etc. I will order a whole lobster. Secondly if you are trying to eat this driving down the road it is impossible as the way it is assembled consists of a piece of tail meat and claw meat uncut and whole. If you try and take a bite out of the roll either the entire piece of tail or claw meat comes out and you are left with an empty roll. I know it may be a bit picky but hey that’s what we all are here for is honest opinions. Also I don't want to be assembling my $14 lobster roll and can't stand taking a bite out of a hunk of lobster with a splurge of mayo on it. I want it mixed all up and placed into the roll in bite sized pieces.

While visiting Boothbay Harbor last year I found a place with about 20 people waiting in line on Atlantic Ave called The Lobster Dock. Before visiting I checked out a couple of the other travel sites and came across it. I figured it was less than the 60 people I had passed by at Red's and was better than one of the other places in town that had no people waiting at all. Ordered a HOT lobster roll which is really just warm but had the typical hot dog bun toasted on both sides with bite sized chunks of fresh lobster meat warm with a little bit of melted butter mixed in. Can you say Heaven in a bun!! I added a side of what they called homemade potato salad and I thought my mom was sitting next to me with a potato peeler in her hand.

It was just that good that when the girl came by to see if I wanted another beer I ordered a 2nd one for dessert. Looks like I found a new favorite spot in Boothbay Harbor with a great view of the boats and everything else to boot.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Loberster Rolls 2007/03/02 18:04:48
I have to admit I've never heard of anyone eating a lobster roll while driving down the road.
ChopChop
Junior Burger
RE: Loberster Rolls 2007/03/14 14:45:34
Or a loberster roll, for that matter.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Loberster Rolls 2007/03/14 15:56:55
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I have to admit I've never heard of anyone eating a lobster roll while driving down the road.


LOL

I was thinking the same thing!

I know there is ROADFOOD and things you can eat while on the road.

Lob(er)ster Rolls are definately ROADFOOD!