Dim Sum

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 0
Dim Sum - Fri, 03/7/03 6:00 PM
Fresno has a single dim sum place that I know of. Imperial Garden on N. Blackstone. Come Saturday or Sunday mornings for an inexpensive but filling Chinese tea lunch. Small plates of various delicacies are brought around on wheeled carts and you make your selection by pointing or asking (not all the waitresses speak English, but are very eager to be helpful. Imperial Garden has been adding more and more variety lately so you can choose from around 30 different items (if not more). You are given a small card with 4 price ranges (usually 2.20 to 4.00) per plate. Whatever plates (or steam containters) you choose are ticked off on your card. My daughter and I absolutely stuff ourselves for less than 15.00 dollars.
Our favorites include: braised chicken feet in blackbean and jalapeno sauce, something we call "little footballs", which are football shaped deep fried casings made of rice, filled with ground spiced meat, baked bbq buns, chinese pigs in blankets made with pastry wrapped around dried chinese sausage, curried beef turnovers, deep fried stuffed crab claws, and egg custard tarts. As I said this is just the beginning..there are dozens more to choose from, with most items at 2.20 for a plate with 3 items on it. They also have the best Chinese Chicken salad in town, with crispy fried chicken, crisp salad greens and a lemony dressing.

pixie girl
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Dim Sum - Tue, 03/11/03 7:42 PM
Philadelphia also has some great dim sum restaurants at very reasonable prices. Last time we visited Chinatown, we paid more for parking than we did for dinner. If you are going to visit, and want dim sum check out the disticys web site...www.phillychinatown.com.

pixie girl
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Dim Sum - Tue, 03/11/03 7:43 PM
Philadelphia also has some great dim sum restaurants at very reasonable prices. Last time we visited Chinatown, we paid more for parking than we did for dinner. If you are going to visit, and want dim sum check out the districts web site...www.phillychinatown.com.

maudsiek
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Dim Sum - Mon, 03/17/03 4:26 PM
I have been a dim sum aficionado for several years. Living in Tucson, AZ, it is hard to find here, but there is one good place, China Phoenix, on Oracle Road and Ina, that serves a medium-sized selection on weekends. If you are ever in the Los Angeles area be SURE to go to Ocean Star on Atlantic Blvd. in Monterey Park. The place is cavernous, with all the tables usually full, and it is frequented by more Asians that I have ever seen in one place at one time. There are usually about 15 carts moving around the tables, and the dim sum selection is huge. Dim sum is served EVERY DAY until 3 PM, and the prices are CHEAP!!

Chumley
  • Total Posts : 182
RE: Dim Sum - Sun, 03/23/03 2:18 AM
Hey, thanks for posting this this link. Having moved just outside of Philly from New York, Dim Sum is something I thought I was leaving behind. Apparently not! There's lot's here to explore.
quote:
Originally posted by pixie girl

Philadelphia also has some great dim sum restaurants at very reasonable prices. Last time we visited Chinatown, we paid more for parking than we did for dinner. If you are going to visit, and want dim sum check out the disticys web site...www.phillychinatown.com.

rumbelly
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: Dim Sum - Sun, 04/13/03 2:23 PM
I live 2 hours north of Toronto, Ontario. I used to live there for many years and when I visit Dimsum is on the agenda. There are 3 chinatowns in Toronto all different from each other. From the cheap holes in the wall downtown to the lux places in the suburb all have merits. I like it cause you eat as soon as you sit down and until your sated (or oversated as has happened) and usually we go with large groups that way you can try all kinds. Beware the tripe wagon!!

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Dim Sum - Thu, 04/17/03 5:34 AM

Our favorites include: braised chicken feet in blackbean and jalapeno sauce

I tried chicken feet at a Dim Sum place in Vancouver's chinatown and it was just a little chewy skin on a bone. Did I just get bad ones or do you just suck on them? There was nothing on it to eat.

BTW, My current food obsession is those dim sum balls covered with sesame seeds and filled with black bean paste. The gummy texture turned me off at first, but now I have to eat them 3 times a week.

bakersfieldmom
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Dim Sum - Thu, 04/17/03 6:37 AM
Thanks Jennifer 4, for the Fresno information. When we come to Bkfd for a visit, I'll definately stop there for dim sum. I really miss dim sum here in Holland, but we do have a good Chinese-Indoniasian restaurant. Sadly, it follows the Indonisian influence,so none of my favorites are on the menu. Barbara

Jennifer_4
RE: Dim Sum - Thu, 04/24/03 5:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Our favorites include: braised chicken feet in blackbean and jalapeno sauce

I tried chicken feet at a Dim Sum place in Vancouver's chinatown and it was just a little chewy skin on a bone. Did I just get bad ones or do you just suck on them? There was nothing on it to eat.

BTW, My current food obsession is those dim sum balls covered with sesame seeds and filled with black bean paste. The gummy texture turned me off at first, but now I have to eat them 3 times a week.

sorry for taking so long to respond! Chicken feet are basically "suck em" foods.. it's more flavor than meat..but it's good if done right!

Jennifer_4
RE: Dim Sum - Thu, 04/24/03 5:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bakersfieldmom

Thanks Jennifer 4, for the Fresno information. When we come to Bkfd for a visit, I'll definately stop there for dim sum. I really miss dim sum here in Holland, but we do have a good Chinese-Indoniasian restaurant. Sadly, it follows the Indonisian influence,so none of my favorites are on the menu. Barbara

Barbara, sorry it took me so long to respond, I need to check these things more! Do you get to Bakersfield often?

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5357
RE: Dim Sum - Sat, 09/20/03 7:26 AM
OK, so I'm really late replying to this thread but here goes.

Also in Fresno is/was a place in Fresno called the Lelani. I've been gone for 5 years now so I'm not positive that it is still there. They have great Dim Sum done on the weekends. A lot of ethnic chinese eat there so it must be pretty good. It is located on Blackstone between Mckinley & Olive before Hedges on the West side of the street.

MikeS.

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Dim Sum - Sat, 09/20/03 2:42 PM
My wife and I have a group of friends who we basically only ever see when we go out to eat dim sum together in Boston's Chinatown about once a month. Unfortunately, I'm kind of hosed when it comes to dim sum: I'm allergic to shrimp, so basically I get to eat a lot of char shu bao and Chinese broccoli with hoisin. if I'm lucky they'll have mussels in black bean sauce. Not a bad thing, but seeing all these delicious-looking things that I can't eat because there's a vague possibility they'd kill me is frustrating.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3546
RE: Dim Sum - Mon, 09/22/03 12:52 PM
I enjoy dimsum two ways-----I usually go in the LA area to the Great Seafood Palace in Artesia-----the variety on their carts is great and I especially enjoy the cartswith the fresh pea shoots that they cook just before they hand you the plate. I have a few things I cannot do without----the deep fried crab claws, tea-smoked duck and the dan tarts (egg custard desert). They make the best barbecued pork I've ever had. My other way is going to the Hong Kong Bakery, in Carson right where the Harbor Freeway crosses Carson Street (at Vwermont). it has all the traditional goods-----baked BBQ Pork buns, sesame balls, shu mai and har gow, curry buns and more. Plus-----it's convenient when I'm in the area to stop and grab and go----and sure beats fast food!

Geoff Steinberg
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Dim Sum - Thu, 09/25/03 4:35 PM
Don't you guys get nervous at Dim Sum? Some of the stuff at the authentic restaurants are like the meal scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (like I keep expecting to bit into a little dumpling to see that I've just bitten through an eyeball). I like knowing exactly what I'm eating, and there is some WEIRD stuff going around on those carts.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3546
RE: Dim Sum - Fri, 09/26/03 4:20 PM
Update: went to the Great Seafood HOUSE mentioned in my above post today. Yummy duck, delicious fried crab claws (craw, not "craw") and the slippery noodles with shrimp were superb. I could do dimsum every day I think......

albinoni
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: Dim Sum - Fri, 09/26/03 10:09 PM
This topic is soooo painful. When we lived in Brooklyn, we would always head off to Chinatown on a Sunday morning for dim sum. Then we moved to Jersey a few years ago--there are places that post big signs advertising dim sum, but they look suspect, and the place we've been to--twice, only because my parents invited us-- was OK, but not anywhere close to what we had been used to. Chinatown is just a little too far, and parking there has become impossible (OK, it always was, but now it's even worse).

We used to go to 98 Mott St.--a big place that started off as the Grand Palace. We discovered it after we went to China and Hong Kong in '86. We went there for several years--they made the best pot stickers, all the other stuff was equally delicious. Then the manager got busted for drug trafficking, and the place got shut down. We wandered around for the next year or two trying to find someplace as good, but never did. Then "Harmony Palace" opened up at 98 Mott st., and we decided to give it a shot. We walked in and saw the same senior staff (same woman at the front desk calling out the numbers, same tuxedoed maitre de), and we knew everything would be ok. It was--same great dim sum as before--even the pot stickers were just as good as we'd remembered.

We haven't been back there in years, but I'm sure it's still great.

Charlie

Netfeather
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Dim Sum - Mon, 10/13/03 5:16 PM
If you're ever in Chicago, check out Three Happiness on Cermak Street right at the gate to Chinatown.

As for not knowing what you're eating...that's half the fun. I took a trip to China where the people who served us dinner spoke no English so we had no idea what was on the platters they put before us. The rule was taste it and if it's edible...eat it. Sometimes you're better off not knowing.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Dim Sum - Tue, 10/14/03 7:12 AM
Oh do i miss dim sum!!!!!after after 20 odd yrs in California where i could always find it somewhere,i have yet to find a single dimsum spot in all of Oklahoma! I may be wrong--but i may be to old to drive to it by the time i find it!Guess it will have to be confined to my trips to visit family on the coasts! Of course if anyone does find any Sooner Dimsum---please--let me know!!

rbpalmer
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Dim Sum - Fri, 10/17/03 4:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Steinberg

Don't you guys get nervous at Dim Sum? Some of the stuff at the authentic restaurants are like the meal scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (like I keep expecting to bit into a little dumpling to see that I've just bitten through an eyeball). I like knowing exactly what I'm eating, and there is some WEIRD stuff going around on those carts.

I don't get nervous because when I go to a Chinese restaurant, it's because I want something that is different than what I normally eat. Most of the dim sum dishes consist of main ingredients that are familiar to the american palate, such as pork, shrimp and chicken, but are prepared in ways that are different than I normally encounter, and I enjoy that. Yes, there are some exotic dishes, but the owners of these restaurants are business people who know that they have to cater to their clientele, and if their clientele is largely occidental, they have to have at least some dishes whose ingredients are familiar to us. When I see something on a cart that I don't recognize, I just ask the server what it is, and if it sounds appetizing, I order it.

Kai
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Dim Sum - Mon, 04/5/04 2:59 AM
We just pigged out on Dim Sum, Sunday afternoon in Oakland,Ca. at the Jade Pavillion. It is located on the N/E corner of 8th & Broadway Streets. The Dim Sum is authentic Hong Kong style. I live across the Bay from San Francisco and find the street parking on a Sunday easy to find and the food is just as good if not better. Three of us really pigged-out; we ate several plates of Dim Sum delicacies, an order of Beef Chow Fun, shared a Mango Pudding dessert and had several pots of tea. Our total spent was almost $36.

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Dim Sum - Mon, 04/5/04 3:06 AM
Oh, dear. I knew I shouldn't have logged on this late at night. Dim sum is, in my part of the world, Latin for "I am dim." Go away, all you privileged citizens of the light side, and let me cry myself to a summarily dim sleep.

Jennifer_4
RE: Dim Sum - Mon, 04/5/04 3:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Oh, dear. I knew I shouldn't have logged on this late at night. Dim sum is, in my part of the world, Latin for "I am dim." Go away, all you privileged citizens of the light side, and let me cry myself to a summarily dim sleep.

Poor Rick! [|)] Shall we send you a care package or plane tickets?

arianej
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Dim Sum - Tue, 04/6/04 11:30 PM
I just knew I shouldn't have read this thread, as it has only made me hungry.

Dim sum here is okay, but nothing like what I've had in San Francisco... My favorites are the deep-fried taro filled dumplings, char siu bao, chicken feet if it's done right (and yes, you mostly eat the skin off, there's little meat to be had), stuffed eggplant, gai lan in oyster sauce, che cheong fun, shrimp dumplings... One of my favorite types of meals is to go out for dim sum in a group and order everything!

Ariane

Ralph Isbill
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Dim Sum - Wed, 04/7/04 1:46 AM
We have a dim sum place in Oklahoma City!
Grand House Restaurant
2701 Classen Blvd.

They only serve dim sum Saturday and Sunday. I went there a couple weeks ago, this is my first time. It will not be my last. I have nothing to judge it by but it was enjoyed by my wife and myself. Tiki I know it's a good drive from your side of Oklahoma but well worth the drive. If you try it let me know what you think of it.

Jennie
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: Dim Sum - Sun, 03/4/07 4:30 PM
The best places for Dim Sum (IMHO) in D.C. are Lei Garden and Tony Cheng's in Chinatown (there's some evidence that Lei Garden is closed).

Funny story:

We were in Chinatown for Chinese New Year's on the 18th. Very crowded for the celebration. We had reservations at 3pm at Tony Cheng's, although they'd stopped selling Dim Sum by then. The ground floor of the restaurant is a Mongolian Barbecue, to which we've never been (although I like them) because we were always headed upstairs. It was, naturally, incredibly crowded, and if we hadn't had a reservation, we'd have bailed. My parents had arrived and were seated upstairs at the "seafood restaurant" (by which they mean there are huge fish tanks full of various seafood that you can order, including dungeoness crab, cooked in any style). We were at the bottom of the very steep 3'-wide staircase. On each step was a person standing, waiting for a seat in the restaurant. On the other half of the stairs was a stream of people either coming down or going up to use the only rest rooms in the building, located on the second floor. I stood at the bottom with my daughter and my sister-in-law, who was holding an infant car seat with her son inside, preparing to summon the nerve to struggle our way up the crowded stairway with said car seat. Suddenly, coming down the stairs, was the Mayor of D.C, Adrian Fenty! I recognized him immediately from the papers, and smiled hugely at him. He shook my hand and said, "How're you doing?" I said, "Great, thanks!" He then looked down at my nephew and said, "Aww, he's so cute!" before taking his leave. Wow! lol

Dinner was wonderful as always. I had a pork and asparagus dish which was wonderful and crunchy. Mr. Jennie had a spicy crispy beef dish, which was really spicy (to his delight). However, my mother had some and said she hadn't found it overly hot. Mr. Jennie said, "Well, you didn't eat any of the red peppers." Yikes! Does anyone eat those? I treat them like the whole cardamom pods and cloves in my Indian curries and put them on the side. Mr. Jennie says, "Oh, I eat those, too." lol My brother, however, commented that the Orange Chicken he'd ordered for his 3-year-old son was actually spicier than his General Tso's chicken (and we did have the right ones identified. General Tso's had the red peppers in it.). However, the children all had plenty to eat, what with the fried rice and a PuPu Platter (which is always great fun for the kids). But one of the best things was the Peking Duck, which Tony Chengs always does well (we used to get it at his Szechuan restaurant in Baltimore years ago). Crispy duck skin available in easy-to-manage pieces, along with the juicy meat, and crispy crunchy scallions to put on your (nice and pliable) wrapper, with the wonderful plum sauce. They do this dish very well, and we rolled out of there well fed. One amusing and great surprise was for the baby in the car seat. My sister-in-law took her bottle of formula (which had been in a chilled bag) and asked the staff if it was possible to have it warmed. They brought it back to the table . . . in a teapot full of hot water! It was perfect! lol

Jennie
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: Dim Sum - Sun, 03/4/07 4:35 PM
I note that I didn't really say anything aboout their Dim Sum and, this is a Dim Sum thread. It is our Spring tradition that some Sunday during the Cherry Blossom Festival, we visit the blossoms, and then go up to Chinatown and have Dim Sum at either Tony Cheng's or Lei Garden. Tony Cheng's has the trays, but Lei Garden only offers a-la-carte ordering. At Tony Cheng's we've had wonderful Seven Treasures Sticky Rice, a wide variety of steamed and fried buns, and their baked pork bao (buns) are absolutely fabulous. We rarely have room left for the dessert buns, but they're nice and not overly sweet (as the Chinese prefer). I like the pineapple ones better than the sweet bean paste, but that's personal preference. I'd prefer a pineapple Danish to a sweet bean paste one, after all.

santacruz
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Dim Sum - Mon, 03/12/07 11:24 AM
Tiki,
If you get up to K.C. mo. try Bo-Lings, I think it is the best Dim Sum in the midwest.

Out here in Ca. I go to Tri-Valley Seafood Restaurant in Pleasanton. It is out of this world my problem is I want to order almost everything.

Last time I was there I had fantastic BBQ Duck and BBQ Pork etc. etc. fantastic and fresh, wonderful people and good prices.

guacshorts
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Dim Sum - Wed, 03/14/07 4:05 AM
THanks Tucson maudsiek poster! i've lived in LA and Tucson so i know where you're coming from. Sounds great!