Hot Doug's on Food Network

Author
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3304
2006/11/21 00:07:29 (permalink)

Hot Doug's on Food Network

Hot Doug's from Chicago will be featured on the Hungry Detective on the Food Network on Tuesday, November 21 at 9:30pm central time.

CSD

26 Replies Related Threads

Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/21 15:10:49 (permalink)
    That'll be fun. I really like Chris' new show. He is a pretty cool guy, and I think he's done a fine job of hitting the streets for something different.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10284
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/21 15:54:52 (permalink)
    There's a Hot Dougs in Tempe AZ. No connection. this guy's from Boston and does Boston style dogs & Sliders
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/21 23:03:16 (permalink)
    I've never had a Chicago style dog. Do all of the flavors blend well together? Can you taste the dog?
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 00:16:30 (permalink)
    A Chicago hot dog is an all beef dog with no MSG or unnatural fillers. The following are all beef Chicago hot dogs: Vienna Beef, David Berg, Red Hot Chicago, and Best's Kosher. Klement's from Milwaukee makes a Chicago hot dog and so does Leon's Sausage Company from Chicago. A Chicago hot dog is served in a steamed poppy seed bun made by Alpha Baking Company aka S.Rosen/MaryAnn and Gonnella. A Chicago style hot dog is a Chicago dog dressed with the following condiments: mustard, neon green relish, onions, tomato, kosher dill pickle, sport peppers, and a dash of celery salt. No ketchup. Chicago dogs are boiled, steamed, char grilled, and deep fried(Polish). Never flat grilled. I'm a native Chicagoan and prefer my dogs char grilled with mustard, grilled onions, and Merkt's cheddar cheese. I'll take the pickle and tomato on the side. Hold the sport peppers and celery salt. As a kid, I only ate mustard on my dogs. As I grew older, I acquired a taste for onions and relish. The original Chicago style hot dog was only dressed with mustard, onions, and relish. The original Maxwell Street Polish was grilled or deep fried with Dusseldorf mustard and grilled onions. Do all the flavors blend well together? Yes. Can you taste the dog? Yes. Do I sometimes eat a dog plain? Yes. I also prefer a natural casing hot dog for it's snap.

CSD
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 00:28:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

A Chicago hot dog is an all beef dog with no MSG or unnatural fillers.

CSD
    Listen to the guy, boys and girls. He knows whereof he speaks.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4253
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 11:01:47 (permalink)
    quote:

A Chicago hot dog is an all beef dog with no MSG or unnatural fillers. The following are all beef Chicago hot dogs: Vienna Beef, David Berg, Red Hot Chicago, and Best's Kosher. Klement's from Milwaukee makes a Chicago hot dog and so does Leon's Sausage Company from Chicago.
    What, no Sinai 48? No Hebrew National? Granted they are not Chicago companies, but don't they make a dog that fits the requirements?

Just asking,

Buddy
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 11:53:17 (permalink)
    Sinai 48 is owned by Sara Lee, same as Best Kosher, from Chicago. Hebrew National is not considered a Chicago dog. Same for Nathan's, Klement's, and Usinger's. Hebrew National, Nathan's, and Usingers don't have the Chicago profile(spices & taste). Klement's, from Milwaukee makes a "Chicago Dog," which is sold in food stores. The Chicago profile has been replicated in the Klement's made "Fluky" brand hot dog. You can dress a Hebrew National, Nathan's, Usinger's, or Klement's dog Chicago style and serve them on a steamed poppy seed bun, but they would never be considered a Chicago dog by purists.

CSD
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 12:17:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

I think he's done a fine job of hitting the streets for something different.

I disagree that The Hungry Detective is anything different. He's a likable guy, but how many food network shows have squawked about the history of the Philly cheesesteak or New York Pizza, or crabcakes in D.C. The food network is getting very, very tired in my book. It's the same thing over and over again. I swear, I think Bud Royer has been on 12 different shows making his pecan pie. I have absolutely nothing against Chris Cognac, but it's definitely nothing new or original.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 13:28:39 (permalink)
    Is it me or what? When Chris Cognac ate at the various Chicago restaurants, he only took small bites, without an immediate response. His responses were far from passionate. Seemed a little uninspired to me. Like a sixty second roll in the hay and saying, "oh, that was nice." If I were eating a large, deep dish, meat filled, wonderful crusted pizza, my mouth would be opening wide and there'd be some ooooh's and aaaah's, or at least some mmmm's. How about the steak? Or those fried onions? Where's the passion that bursts immediately upon us when we experience a new food? This is just my take on his show. I'm looking forward to experiencing that bbq'd spaghetti.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2947
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 14:24:03 (permalink)
    I just rewatched it again and there was no excitement in the tasting...just playing to the camera. Perhaps with the time allotment, that's all they can do. All the food items looked great, it just didn't give a full impression of each stop. I want to visit Myron & Phil as I am not familar with them and the food and set-up looked pretty cool.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 14:44:45 (permalink)
    quote:

A Chicago hot dog is an all beef dog with no MSG or unnatural fillers. The following are all beef Chicago hot dogs: Vienna Beef, David Berg, Red Hot Chicago, and Best's Kosher. Klement's from Milwaukee makes a Chicago hot dog and so does Leon's Sausage Company from Chicago. A Chicago hot dog is served in a steamed poppy seed bun made by Alpha Baking Company aka S.Rosen/MaryAnn and Gonnella. A Chicago style hot dog is a Chicago dog dressed with the following condiments: mustard, neon green relish, onions, tomato, kosher dill pickle, sport peppers, and a dash of celery salt. No ketchup. Chicago dogs are boiled, steamed, char grilled, and deep fried(Polish). Never flat grilled. I'm a native Chicagoan and prefer my dogs char grilled with mustard, grilled onions, and Merkt's cheddar cheese. I'll take the pickle and tomato on the side. Hold the sport peppers and celery salt. As a kid, I only ate mustard on my dogs. As I grew older, I acquired a taste for onions and relish. The original Chicago style hot dog was only dressed with mustard, onions, and relish. The original Maxwell Street Polish was grilled or deep fried with Dusseldorf mustard and grilled onions. Do all the flavors blend well together? Yes. Can you taste the dog? Yes. Do I sometimes eat a dog plain? Yes. I also prefer a natural casing hot dog for it's snap.

CSD

Mr. Chicago I have a stupid question for you. I have looked for that neon green relish at a few stores down here in Houston and am unable to find it. Is there a perticular brand I can look for or does it go by a different name other than relish that I can ask for. Someone once told me it was called pickalilly(spell?) but I always thought of that to be like ChowChow. TIA

joe

P.S. Chicago Style, Maxwell Street, I may be drumed out of the state for this but I like them better than Chili Dogs.

Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 15:05:39 (permalink)
    Chris is a cop, he's not Rachael Ray. I like his lower-key response.
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 15:41:57 (permalink)
    I watched the Chicago show last night. I like the philosophy of the show, and he seems to choose interesting spots. But, I'll agree with CSD's assessment: there wasn't any passion in Chris' tasting. I'm NOT a Rachael Ray fan (find her way to giggly and silly), but I do appreciate her passion for the food when she's eating it, just like I enjoy Alton Brown's, etc. I just feel like I can trust someone more when they're being genuinely emotional about what they're doing. Maybe that's not a good way to evaluate, but it's honestly how I react.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 16:27:35 (permalink)
    TJ, it may be difficult locating Vienna Beef aka CHIPICO neon green relish in your area. Look for a brand called Rolf's Deli Style Sweet Pickle Relish. It's packaged in the mid west and sold throughout the US. You can order the real product from Vienna Beef www.viennabeef.com or from Fluky's www.flukys.com
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 22:03:12 (permalink)
    Maybe he didn't like the food so much. I watched the show. The pizza didn't look good to me.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/22 23:42:15 (permalink)
    I agree on the pizza with Holdem. My memories of Gino's go back to the 60's when they made a good deep dish. So did Uno's and Due's. Today, Gino's is like eating airport food. Better choices for deep dish are found at Lou Malnati's, Edwardo's, and Burt's. Gino's has become a Chicago tourist attraction and isn't a good representative of Chicago deep dish.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2336
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/23 10:15:20 (permalink)
    quote:

CSD

A great discription of a Chicago Hot Dog. Thanks. Although I'm in Jersey, I have access to an authentic Chicago Hot Dog at J's Beef in Linden. Jack, the owner is from Chicago and knows his dogs. He was even contacted by the President of Vienna Beef, who intends to visit his store. Originally, I didn't like the Chicago Dog. I'm more of a bare bones guy, preferring just mustard on a grilled spicy all beef dog. But I have since aquired a taste for the Chicago Dog. All the flavors blend together well. I do believe the Vienna dog goes best with this sandwich. It is milder than a Nathan's, Usinger's, etc. and doesn't overwhelm or dominate the other ingredients. The char dog looked delicious at Hot Doug's. And I hear it's only $1.50.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/23 10:34:01 (permalink)
    John, Happy Thanksgiving and glad to hear you finally acquired a taste for Vienna Beef dogs. The VB hot dogs at Hot Doug's are a great deal for $1.50. I've been there a few times and enjoyed some excellent char grilled dogs and Polish, along with Doug's outstanding duck fat fries, made only on the weekends. The place has a cult following and never seems to amaze me. If you go, get there early(11:00am) or be prepared to wait in a line that goes out the door, down the street, and around the corner. I'm looking forward to enjoying a Best Provisions hot dog from Newark with you some day.

CSD
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2336
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/23 13:16:21 (permalink)
    CSD,

Happy Thanksgiving! Before I posted, I was looking for something that I had read and saved in the past about the difference between New York/New Jersey beef dogs and Chicago dogs. I finally found it. It was from an article in a 2004 issue of Cigar Aficionado. It mentioned that the New York dog was created mostly by Russian and Polish Jews with its garlic backbone. The Chicago dog was founded on the Hungarian model and more reliant on a subtler, spicier mix of flavors, among them paprika and coriander. This sounds accurate to me. It goes on to say that the original sausage maker at Vienna Beef was Hungarian, and that the company's founders named the company Vienna in an effort to associate with the city of Vienna's reputation for high quality cuisine. The sausage that became the prototype for Chicago hot dogs finds its origins in Frankfurt, Germany. Frankfurters were all beef. The Viennese sausage, known in Vienna as wienerwurst, contained 30% veal.

I've mentioned that I also had someone send me Romanian Kosher franks from Chicago. These were similar in spicing, from what I remember, to the Viennas. As far as the brands around here are concerned, many have a distinct spicing that if you've eaten enough of them, you can pick out. Usinger's is unique, so is Sabrett, Hebrew National, and Best's. I would say that the Boars Head brand might be hard to pick out, except for it's distinctive snap. This dog is in the New York/New Jersey stye, but it is has a straightforward beef and garlic flavor that doesn't have anything in it that stands out or can be considered unique. Just a perfect example of the style. Picked as top beef dog by David Rosengarten.

Best Provisions, which makes my favorite beef dog, is somewhere between Vienna and Sabrett/Nathans/Hebrew National as far as spicy/garlicky flavor is concerned. Yet it too has a somewhat unique flavor due to the spicing. Again, it's all a matter of taste. But in Jersey, Best is considered by many people to be the best dog for grilling. Syd's serves what is essentially a char dog, though it is boiled first. You may or may not like this dog although I suspect you will like it. I love finally getting to try a dog that I've heard and read about that isn't available where I am. It was great to look forward to the package of Romanian Kosher franks that had been sent to me from a lady in Chicago. And also to find a place near me (J's Beef) that had the Vienna Beef sign prominently displayed inside. I knew then that I would be able to sample Vienna Beef franks and a Chicago Hot Dog whenever I get the urge. Which has been quite frequent lately.

Let me know if/when you plan to come to Jersey.
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/24 00:18:29 (permalink)
    I'm asked almost everyday for a chicago dog. we carry Best Kosher as one of our dogs, they are not happy that we do not carry the right bun or the right relish..From my viewpoint we would not sell enuf to invest in poppy seed buns and the rest of the items to justify the time and expense..Instead we feature italian sausages with peppers and onions and the maxwell with the same..Our specialities are our Pulled pork on a kaiser roll and our sloppy joes on the same roll..
    can only do so many different things on a cart..Go where the green is greenist!!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2947
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/24 08:09:40 (permalink)
    genewj - Where's your cart located? I noticed the Bradenton listing?
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2006/11/24 10:45:43 (permalink)
    Gene, the mobile food service business works just like the restaurant business. Trial and error. I give my customers what they want. It creates referrals through word-of-mouth, which is the best advertising. What have you got to lose? A couple dozen poppy seed buns and some neon greeen relish. The investment is minimal and you'll never know, if you never try.

CSD
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3757
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2009/09/13 00:27:40 (permalink)
    I flew Delta for the first time in a long time today.  I read their in-flight magazine, which I found to be first-rate, as far as in-flight magazines go.  Most of the time, I feel like I am just being sold something - and usually something expensive, at that.  In most cases, all of the features just happen to be hub/feature cities for the airline, too.  So, if you've seen one in-flight magazine, you've pretty much seen them all.

Well, this month's issue has a feature on three "avant garde chefs" - and one of them is Doug Sohn.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to link to the actual article from here. But, if you go here, you will find the magazine and you can read this month's issue. The feature starts on page 91. 

I still have not been to Hot Doug's, and am admittedly not a "hot dog guy," but this is something that should be remedied at some point in the near future.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4253
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2009/09/13 01:48:43 (permalink)
    TTM, let me know when you'll be in town.  I will happily act as your guide to the wonders of Hot Doug's.  I'm sure we could put together a small group from The Contingent to escort you there.

Not being a "hot dog guy" will not hinder you at Dougs'.  The hot dogs, while an excellent example of the Chicago Style Dog, are the least of his assets.  Doug's specialty sausage menu is the real draw; stuff you won't find anywhere else.

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/09/13 04:18:56
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2009/09/13 11:34:37 (permalink)
    Mmmmmmm, Hot Doug's...
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3757
    RE: Hot Doug's on Food Network 2009/09/13 17:53:58 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Not being a "hot dog guy" will not hinder you at Dougs'.  The hot dogs, while an excellent example of the Chicago Style Dog, are the least of his assets.  Doug's specialty sausage menu is the real draw; stuff you won't find anywhere else.

Oh, I am aware!  Hot Doug's is one of the few places that I consistently refer other people to - that I have not been to myself.  I am that confident in the reviews I have read, the opinions of others around here, and the positive reports from the people I have sent there who wonder how I ever find out about this kind of stuff!  While not nearly as extensive a menu, I have visited Biker Jim out in Denver and had a reindeer sausage, so I understand the allure of the non-hot dog.

Thanks for the offer to guide.  I know that my Chicago friends are all a welcoming bunch.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything outlined for Chicago in the near future...just Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio (none of which are on the same trip), Portland (OR), Boise, Long Island and Westchester County in NY, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Little Rock, and possibly a side trip to Tulsa.  All of that action happens between now (ATL) and the middle of November.  Last year, I tacked on the Chicago meet-up to my Indy trip, but I don't know if I am going to be able to pull that off this year.  I am also trying to convince my Chicago friend to come down here for spring training - which may or may not preclude a reciprocal trip back up that way.

Let me go see if I can remember which hotel room I am in.  :-)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1