Chicken Cordon Bleu

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
  • Reward points : 0
Chicken Cordon Bleu - Mon, 12/11/06 11:52 AM
Well, it seems that I have been given the honor of cooking dinner for 150 people at my local American Legion. The menu consists of Ckicken Cordon Bleu, Creamy Potato Gratan, Fresh Green Beans, Green Salad, and Dessert. My problem is that although I have worked in the Food Service business for 20 plus years, I haven't really catered to this many people before. I need help with a time table to get everything done at the same time. It is a sit-down dinner not buffet style. I know the recipe for all of my dishes so I don't need specific instructions on how to prepare, just prep times etc... Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me.
David O.

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Chicken Cordon Bleu - Mon, 12/11/06 6:09 PM
boyardee65,

Sorry I cannot help you but perhaps you can help me. Everytime I do Chicken Corden Bleu the cheese melts out of the Chicken, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

John

boyardee65
RE: Chicken Cordon Bleu - Tue, 12/12/06 1:26 AM
You have to make sure that the whole thing is wrapped VERY tight and pick it, then roll in flour,shake the excess off, drench in egg wash, and finally dredge in dry bread crumbs. Fry just until light brown. Finish in a 350 degree oven. Keep an eye on the temp as we don't want to get past 165 or so. Any hotter and the cheese will boil and explode out of the croquet. Rest for about 5 minutes before trying to cut. The extra time will allow the meat to come up to temp. Also another tip is to let the croquet rest before you fry it for about 10 minutes to let the coating set properly. Good luck hope this helps.
David O.

John A
RE: Chicken Cordon Bleu - Tue, 12/12/06 6:42 AM
Thank You,

John

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Chicken Cordon Bleu - Tue, 12/12/06 7:08 AM
Thats a hard question to answer. Your kitchen your working in, equipment? Also are you getting p/c chicken from a food service co or doing it from scratch? Same with the potatos and salad. This is a simple enough meal that I could probably do in about 2 hours prep time, start to finish. Don't forget the surpreem sauce for the chicken. Chow Jim

boyardee65
RE: Chicken Cordon Bleu - Tue, 12/12/06 11:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

Thats a hard question to answer. Your kitchen your working in, equipment? Also are you getting p/c chicken from a food service co or doing it from scratch? Same with the potatos and salad. This is a simple enough meal that I could probably do in about 2 hours prep time, start to finish. Don't forget the surpreem sauce for the chicken. Chow Jim
Howdy Jim, I will try to be more specific. The equiptment is restaurant grade. Large ovens, fryolator, etc... I will be butterflying and pounding the chicken myself. I will also be making the Sauce Supreme earlier in the day as it will keep in the fridge till I need it. I was thinking of adding a little of the swiss cheese to the sauce for a little more flavor. I will have a few people to help but volunteer help is sometimes unreliable. I want to do this with as little fuss as possible. I was thinking of having the kitchen set up like a conveyer. One person butterflies, one person pounds, one person breads etc... I will par fry the breasts and then finish in the oven.
Thanks, David O.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Chicken Cordon Bleu - Tue, 12/12/06 11:39 PM
You can also buy pre made Chicken Cordon Bleu's from Sysco or any other Food Service company in bulk...Heat n eat...
Depends on your people there.
(I am SURE it wont be as tasty as home made though, but its a time saving thought)

John A
RE: Chicken Cordon Bleu - Wed, 12/13/06 7:08 AM
The local butcher has them made up, very good if I could keep the ^**&^^ cheese from melting out. I'll follow boyardee65's advice next time.

John

marzsit
  • Total Posts : 343
RE: Chicken Cordon Bleu - Sat, 12/16/06 8:26 PM
could a pressure fryer be used, would that prevent the moisture in the cheese from turning to steam?