Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M

Double-chop Porterhouse
2006/12/15 10:34:01
I've been hearing about Faidley's great crabcakes for quite a while, so I finally ordered some. I had one last night for dinner, and I must say I was very disappointed.

It's not that it was a bad crabcake -- God knows that it's better than anything I can get here in the heartland. But I cannot understand how it is possible that these crabcakes could garner such praise as I have seen here and in other venues.

To begin, it was not very flavorful. Additionally, it seemed to have an abundance of filler-- mostly mayonnaise, I believe. One thing that really surprised me was the fact that it was nowhere near as rich as other crabcakes I've eaten.

I can only compare these crabcakes from Faidley's with crabcakes I ordered earlier this year from G&M. Well, in fact, I can't compare them. It's as if they are two different species. The G&M crabcakes were virtually all magnificent lumps of crabmeat bound with very little, almost undiscernable, filler. They were amazingly delicious; certainly the best crabcakes I have ever eaten, and I've been eating them since I was a little kid catching crabs on Long Island Sound.

Earlier I mentioned the lack of richness in the Faidley's product. With the crabcakes from G&M I was able to eat just one at a sitting because it was so very rich. I could easily have eaten three of the ones from Faidley's last night. Interestingly, the G&M crabcakes and the ones from Faidley's seem exactly the same in size.

I can't help wondering whether the product Faidley's ships is different from the product served at their Maryland location.

One more thing. Although the prices for the Faidley's and G&M crabcakes are nearly the same, the shipping costs are not. Although both were delivered by Fedex, the shipping charges for the Faidley's crabcakes were much higher than the charges from G&M.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2006/12/15 10:42:23
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I've been hearing about Faidley's great crabcakes for quite a while, so I finally ordered some. I had one last night for dinner, and I must say I was very disappointed.

It's not that it was a bad crabcake -- God knows that it's better than anything I can get here in the heartland. But I cannot understand how it is possible that these crabcakes could garner such praise as I have seen here and in other venues.

To begin, it was not very flavorful. Additionally, it seemed to have an abundance of filler-- mostly mayonnaise, I believe. One thing that really surprised me was the fact that it was nowhere near as rich as other crabcakes I've eaten.

I can only compare these crabcakes from Faidley's with crabcakes I ordered earlier this year from G&M. Well, in fact, I can't compare them. It's as if they are two different species. The G&M crabcakes were virtually all magnificent lumps of crabmeat bound with very little, almost undiscernable, filler. They were amazingly delicious; certainly the best crabcakes I have ever eaten, and I've been eating them since I was a little kid catching crabs on Long Island Sound.

Earlier I mentioned the lack of richness in the Faidley's product. With the crabcakes from G&M I was able to eat just one at a sitting because it was so very rich. I could easily have eaten three of the ones from Faidley's last night. Interestingly, the G&M crabcakes and the ones from Faidley's seem exactly the same in size.

I can't help wondering whether the product Faidley's ships is different from the product served at their Maryland location.

One more thing. Although the prices for the Faidley's and G&M crabcakes are nearly the same, the shipping costs are not. Although both were delivered by Fedex, the shipping charges for the Faidley's crabcakes were much higher than the charges from G&M.

You hit it right over the head Hoffman,
I couldn't agree with you more!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2006/12/15 11:58:17
I probably should not respond to this as I have not been up to Baltimore and the Lexington Market in three years. But I sure remember Faidley's crabcakes having hardly any filler at all and just wonderful. I wonder if what they ship is different than what they serve at their counter?

We drive to G and M a few times a year to take guests and everyone loves the crabcakes there and being able to sit and enjoy their meal.

However, I think it is a lot of fun to stand at Faidley's and have a crabcake and then walk over to where the guys are shucking oysters and have some oysters and a nice cold beer!
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2006/12/16 09:06:03
Whenever I'm in Baltimore I make a point to stop at Faidley's for crab cakes. However, a couple of years ago I did order some online and they were very different than what I would get in person, so I agree with Greymo that what they ship is different than what they sell in Baltimore. Maybe because they'll stay together better?
joanie41
Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2006/12/16 11:54:19
I live in MD and work in Baltimore (about one block from Lexington Market!) so I am privy to the very best crabcakes on the planet. Therefore, I have no need to mail order this product, and I can't give any advice in that area. But the crabcakes I got from the Market at Faidleys were the best I've ever eaten. G&M is quite good, but not in the same league as Faidleys. Timbuktu, another local restaurant, has a crabcake on par with G&M. And recently, at a pharmacy event, I had crabcakes at a venerable local upscale restaurant (The King's Contrivance) and they were also really good, which surprised me.

I guess I shouldn't complain at the abundance of crab goodness around here!
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2006/12/19 19:33:53
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

This is great news for me. I have a dozen G&M 4 oz. cakes arriving on Friday. I was tempted to try Faidley's but other people have aslo recommended G&M. Reveiw to follow. Thanks, Mr. Hoffman! Happy Holidays as well.
HungryPookette
Junior Burger
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2006/12/21 18:17:26
what great feedback... i had a feeling about this one, and you all confirmed my suspicions. thank you.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2006/12/26 08:51:46
Well, Christmas dinner was a great success. The G&M crabcakes arrived right on time with FedEx the day before. I was serving 6 people and ordered the 12 4oz. "Party Pack". Prep was a cinch 12 min. at 450 and they came up golden brown and beautiful. Beyond a doubt the best crabcakes anyone has ever had. No filler to speak of, just big lumps of sweet crab meat. My baked cheese grits were a big hit along with the collards and ham hocks. I came up with a great appetizer....smoked sockeye from Vital Choice on a cracker with Lakeside Horseradish sauce topped by a caper or two. Could not have been a better meal. Everyone walked out saying the same thing. I know, but heck I'm proud of myself! Happy Holidays to all.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2006/12/26 08:57:42

Congratulations, I am glad it worked out well for you.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2006/12/26 10:18:18
I gave my brother the gift of crabcakes this year for Christmas. On Wednesday, I ordered four crabcakes and some soup from G & M and everything arrived perfectly on Thursday. He loved them! I figured he would use them for when he had company over on Christmas eve, but he decided they were all for him! And I can't blame him, either.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to compare G & M with Faidley's since I have never been to the latter. But, G & M are clearly the best I have ever had. And I even used to live in Baltimore for a while.
roadrash
Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/01/25 21:37:44
Honestly, both Faidleys and G&M crabcakes are quite ordinary and unremarkable. I've had Faidleys numerous times in the past, and ate at G&M in November after hearing so many here speak highly of them. All I can say is....well, very little. They are both quite average and have little to recommend them, sadly.
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/01/25 21:42:24
Great. So what do you recommend?
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/01/25 21:45:10
quote:
Originally posted by roadrash

Honestly, both Faidleys and G&M crabcakes are quite ordinary and unremarkable. I've had Faidleys numerous times in the past, and ate at G&M in November after hearing so many here speak highly of them. All I can say is....well, very little. They are both quite average and have little to recommend them, sadly.

This is one of the funniest posts that I ever read!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/01/25 21:47:24
quote:
Originally posted by roadrash

Please tell us where you have found better crabcakes. Perhaps you don't care for actual lumps of crab in your crabcakes.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/01/25 22:00:08
As I said on the thread Roadrash started to post his favorite, "Best" is a very subjective evaluation for any food. Individual tastes are different. I don't consider Faidleys OR G&M crabcakes to be ordinary by any definition. So you can enjoy your opinion, but I don't agree with it.
AL
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/05/19 14:07:07
The Sunday NYT travel section has a mention of "Nicks" at the Cross Street Market in Baltimore and speaks well of the crabcakes. Does anyone here know anything about Nicks? I've never heard of the place from any of our Baltimore area roadfooders...

Cheers, John
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/05/19 14:41:06
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

The Sunday NYT travel section has a mention of "Nicks" at the Cross Street Market in Baltimore and speaks well of the crabcakes. Does anyone here know anything about Nicks? I've never heard of the place from any of our Baltimore area roadfooders...

Cheers, John

Yes, I mentioned the place on the Crabstock 2006 photos thread,
www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14664&whichpage=3&SearchTerms=nicks,pit,beef
however I went there and had the Pit Beef Sandwich. Perhaps next time I'm there I'll check out the crab
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/05/19 16:17:07
Right you are, WJ, now I remember.

But, has anyone here ever had the crabcakes at Nick's?

Cheers, John
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/05/19 18:02:04
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Right you are, WJ, now I remember.

But, has anyone here ever had the crabcakes at Nick's?

Cheers, John

We go to Nick's quite often but we go for the oysters and the steamed shrimp. I do not know of anyone who has ever mentioned their crabcakes. My son has a friend who works there part-time and he has never mentioned them so I guess I would have to say that this is not the best place to have them.
signman
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/05/19 19:56:16
Maybe I'll take one for the team and give them a try. I'm in the neighborhood frequently.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/05/20 11:55:15
Thanks, folks, I guess I'll have to believe Nick's crabcakes aint worth the visit, and chalk this whole effort up to the, not surprising, ignorance of some NYTimes reporters.

Cheers, John
rubz
Junior Burger
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/06/06 10:12:19
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/06/06 10:20:07
quote:
Originally posted by rubz

So please tell me where one would find remarkable crabcakes? It must be that you have had some.
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/06/06 10:47:29
Can I have the link for G&M please.
signman
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/06/06 10:47:38
Picked something up yesterday at Cross Street Market. Nick's had a sign out that crabcakes were 1/2 price on Tuesday, could have been just in the evening, only $6.95. Still didn't stop for one; maybe next time.
RibRater
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/06/06 11:32:06
http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2007/06/06 16:28:55
Thankyou Sir.
4allisons
Junior Burger
RE: Crabcakes -- Faidley's vs G&M 2008/03/01 11:12:05
Michael Hoffman wrote: But I cannot understand how it is possible that these crabcakes could garner such praise as I have seen here and in other venues.

One of the reasons you get such differing results between reputation and what arrives in the FedEx box is that the reputations are built on the crab cakes served hot and steaming from the restaurant's kitchen.

As a Baltimore guy from way back, we argue and fuss over the best possible crab cakes all the time. And both G&M and Faidley's are up there in the top of the lists. But with a dish that's so dependent on gentle handling, superfresh ingredients and subtle differences in spicing ... the version served in the restaurant is, so to speak, worlds apart. I'm not surprised that the FedEx version would fail to measure up to the praise you've seen about this noble food group.

When visiting family Out West, and wanting to bring a little bit of Baltimore to the dinner table, we've been tempted to call for some online "delivery." But the best results seem to come by bringing a plain old 3 by 5 handwritten recipe card and a can of Old Bay, then hitting the local grocer for a tub of let's-hope-that-it's-really-fresh lump backfin. The one trick: be sure to broil. Not fry.