Where to eat on the island of Oahu

rbpalmer
  • Total Posts : 469
  • Reward points : 0
Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Wed, 07/16/03 9:52 AM
My wife and I will be in Hawaii in a few weeks, on Oahu. We would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to where to eat.

stanpnepa
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Wed, 07/16/03 10:04 AM
We honeymooned in Oahu (and Maui) last November. My wife is tolerant (and now even eager on occasion) with my Roadfood demands, but because of the nature of the trip (you only honeymoon once), we did more upscale detours than usual. Most turned out to be worth it...

We ate breakfast nearly every morning at the Outrigger Reef (where we stayed). It was a pretty good and affordable buffet ($6.99, I think) that Rachel Ray recommended on the Food Network. It was nice to see Mahi Mahi at a b'fast buffet!

Singha Thai (Waikiki). Reasonably priced. Dark and yummy thai ice tea (w/cream!), We went for the ahi appetizer (Blackened Ahi Summer Rolls). Wonderful. Even better was the Onaga Thai Chili Ginger and Thai Light Black Bean Sauce---red snapper that melted in our mouths!! Fresh and delicious!!! A great meal!!!

Zippy's (Honolulu). Reminded us of Elby's. We wanted to try some kind of mainstream Hawaiian chain. We had the saimin (noodle soup with dumplings). Not bad.

Duke's (Waikiki). Our favorite beachside sunset. Such a beautiful sunset---I can't really even remember what we ate. Oh yeah, the Macnut and Dungeness Crab Wonton (which wasn't very "nutty") and a mahi mahi burger. What a sunset!

Gordon Biersch Brew Pub (Honolulu). We were introduced to the Marzan (lager---about 6%) at the hotel and wanted to try more. I had an OK blackened shrimp salad (with Feta), plus tasty garlic fries. Tne beer ruled here!

Alan Wong's (Honolulu). Wonderful! We went for the Hot California Roll appetizer (without rice!). Loved the lobster mousse inside, plus the Nori Wrapped Ahi. The Mrs. had the sweet but delicuous Tomato Salad. My Caesar was piled high atop Kalua Pig and almost too pretty to eat---but I'm glad I did. For dinner, she had the Ginger Crusted Onaga (exceptional) and I went with the Steamed Bowl of Shellfish (like a bouillabaise). The lobster inside may have been the best I ever had. Great service, excellent presentation...but the highlight at Wong's was certainly the dessert---"The Coconut"!!! It's sorbet served inside a chocolate macadamia shell and garnished with fresh fruit! Wow!!!

Sushi Sasabune (Honolulu). This is sushi for the adventurous eater. The bride ordered from the menu (yellowtail, crab rolls---all wonderful). I went with the special. The "Trust Me" special. The chef keeps preparing the freshest he has...and you keep ordering until you're full---or out of money!!! First up, calamari stuffed with Louisiana Blue Crab. Then, a piece of ahi that was the best seafood I've EVER EATEN!
Scallops from Boston, Whitefish from California, etc.
They tell you where it's from and how to eat it. What to dip in wasabi, what to dip in soy, etc. These folks know their fish. Easily the best meal of the trip and in my all time top ten. We paid $130, but were more than full---even had room for the green and red tea ice cream!!! Sushi Sasabune!!! My all time favorite!!

We didn't have a car in Oahu, but I know there are some other more casual places listed on this site (see Hawaii on the Main Page). You also have to try the shave ice!!! Have a blast!

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
  • Total Posts : 2096
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Wed, 07/16/03 10:17 AM
I second the recommendation of Alan Wong's. Some of the best food in all of Hawaii.

Also check out the places recommended on the site. Leonard's and Motsomoto is wonderful.

Howard Baratz
  • Total Posts : 445
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Wed, 07/16/03 11:34 AM
Re: Alan Wong's

If you are a creme brulee fan, they serve a creme brulee sampler (Passion Fruit, Kona Coffee, Hawaiian Vintage Chocolate, Poha Berry and one other the night we were there) that will make you woozy with delight. The brulees are presented in fairly large oriental soup spoons (you know, the ones that look like miniature ladles), which are placed on a chilled marble slab. Incredibly good.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
  • Total Posts : 2096
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Wed, 07/16/03 11:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Baratz

Re: Alan Wong's

If you are a creme brulee fan, they serve a creme brulee sampler (Passion Fruit, Kona Coffee, Hawaiian Vintage Chocolate, Poha Berry and one other the night we were there) that will make you woozy with delight. The brulees are presented in fairly large oriental soup spoons (you know, the ones that look like miniature ladles), which are placed on a chilled marble slab. Incredibly good.
Yes! Those are one of a kind! Good stuff!

city
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Wed, 07/23/03 10:23 AM
If you want good roadfood go to the KC Drive Inn at the eastern end of Waikiki, corner of Kapahulu and Harding. Great waffle dogs, hot dog wrapped in a waffle, and delicious Ono Ono milk shakes (chocolate and peanut butter). Also, have all of the traditional Hawaiian plates.

rbpalmer
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Mon, 08/25/03 2:26 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions. We got back from Hawaii about a week ago. Alan Wong's was fantastic. My wife couldn't get over the fact that I had found such a great place to eat on the internet (she hasn't visited this site). Again, thanks to you all.

johnmessner
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Fri, 10/3/03 12:10 PM
Jamisons by the Sea in Haleiwa. Great food, service and the view is spectaular!!

L&R
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Tue, 01/13/04 9:57 AM
Went on a tour and found a spot that does the ever popular "plat lunches" and it was fanctastice. Can't remebr the name though. I'll try and find out.

Also the Breakfast Buffet at the Outrigger Beach Hotel (Ourigger Main) was really good as was the restaurant upstairs.

There is also a restaurant on the strip it think it is Cheeseburger in Paradise. They have a good breakfast as well.

ccl1111
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Wed, 12/29/04 12:46 PM
Used to live on Oahu.

Good call on Alan Wong's. That place is awesome.

Sushi Sasabune is amazing too. Moving to Hawaii, I thought I was going to have the best quality sushi everywhere. Then I found out that most sushi fishes (tuna excepted) weren't from warm water climates. Sasabune ships in all his fish from California & they brag about it. His food is incredible though. By far, the best sushi in Hawaii. The most memorable piece was a whole piece of monkfish liver on sushi (not monkfish liver pate) that was charred with a torch. Almost dropped me to the floor it was so amazing.

Someone also mentioned KC Drive Inn. Search that out & get the chocolate, peanut butter ono ono milk shake. It is sooooo worth it. Anybody I'd ever taken there couldn't get over it.

One other place that nobody's mentioned yet is Side Street Inn in Honolulu. It's a total local hangout but they have some of the best food on the island. When David Rosengarten was there doing a Food TV show, he even asked the audience if they'd had the deep fried pork chops at Side Street because they were so awesome & everybody went crazy. Got to get the deep fried pork chops, misoyaki chicken (we always ordered no skin), the big island smoked pork & maybe some fried rice. Just incredible.

Last one I'll mention now is Maple Garden. Chinese restaurant with incredible won ton noodle soup & Chinese donuts. Man my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Ready to book a trip back!!!

markolenski
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Wed, 12/29/04 1:52 PM
Be sure to drive to the norht side of the island and stop at the white shrimp truck. Besure to go to the original. Here are some web sites with info.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Sep/24/en/en12a.html
http://www.chowhound.com/boards/else/messages/3901.html

plb
  • Total Posts : 1023
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Thu, 12/30/04 12:38 PM
For real Hawaiian roodfood (definitely not tourist food) try Ono Hawaiian Foods at 726 Kapahulu Avenue (from Waikiki go towards Diamond Head, inland to the left and it is just past the golf course). It is located close to the bakery listed in the restaurant reviews.

It is a small place that caterers to locals and international roodfood types.

frankos72
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Sat, 01/22/05 12:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stanpnepa

We honeymooned in Oahu (and Maui) last November.

We ate breakfast nearly every morning at the Outrigger Reef (where we stayed). It was a pretty good and affordable buffet ($6.99, I think) that Rachel Ray recommended on the Food Network. It was nice to see Mahi Mahi at a b'fast buffet!

We also honeymooned there and stayed in the Outrigger on the beach. The buffet is good for the price, however they have another restaurant in that same hotel where we ate and had the best meal the whole time we were there. They had a dish called Macadamia Nut Crusted Opka paka? YUMMY!!!! Here is a pic to wet your tastebuds.

quote:
Originally posted by stanpnepa
Duke's (Waikiki). Our favorite beachside sunset. Such a beautiful sunset---I can't really even remember what we ate. Oh yeah, the Macnut and Dungeness Crab Wonton (which wasn't very "nutty") and a mahi mahi burger. What a sunset!

I was actually quite unimpressed with dukes. Other than the drinks. The menu didn't have alot of options. I don't remember what I had cause it was rather uneventfull. The "Volcano?" drink was really yummy though.

MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT THE OAHU!!!!
DON'T go to the Paradise Cove Lauo. There were a couple others to choose from your might try the polyneasian center. I've heard it was good. As far as paradise cove goes, I must say the entertainment was okay, but the food was terrible. The Pork was extremly dry and the rest of the stuff had either no flavor or a bad flavor I didn't want to try.

stanpnepa
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Sat, 01/22/05 1:51 PM
Yes, I wouldn't recommend Duke's for the food. Just the sunset...and you can't get one like that in Pennsylvania, especially on a day they are calling for 18 inches of snow!

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Sat, 01/22/05 4:43 PM
Our son and daughter-in-law are going to take a motorcycle around the perimeter of Oahu in June and I would like to hear from some of you as to good places for them to have lunch and/or dinner on the perimeter byway. There are so many good-sounding places reviewed here but we need to know about the more out-of-the-way places on their route.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Donna

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Sun, 01/23/05 3:02 AM
On the north shore near Haleiwa, Ku 'Aina serves up one of the best burgers around, with extremely good fries. All sorts of localized toppings. Anyone in the area should be able to direct them. Right in town, a must stop is Matsumoto's for shave ice; get it with ice cream and azuki beans.

Look for some side of the road lunch trunks serving the very popular "plate lunch", or shrimp.

imsofull
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Sat, 09/17/05 1:01 AM
Keo's is great for Thai food. L and L drive in is a local chain that has Hawaiian food at reasonable prices

Not roadfood prices but Sansei has wonderful and unique sushi, They also have a place on Maui

Jwong808
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Where to eat on the island of Oahu - Sun, 06/16/13 7:48 PM
There are tons of great food places on Oahu just ask a local.
For sushi which happens to be a favorite of mine it's hard to beat the following places: Gaku , Kona Kai , Sasabune, Mitches, and Imanas. These are the best Oahu has to offer for sushi. Because of that call to make a reservation. If you wanna see pictures I post it on my Instagram account jwong808.
For local food there's : Rainbow Drive in, side street inn, Uncle Bo's , Nico's.
For finer Dining: Alan Wongs, Roy's
Best views: Dukes and order the Opah dukes style. Theres also Michelle's at the colony surf.
Just ask the locals where they eat don't use the tourist magazine and usually don't eat in Waikiki it's a tourist trap for the most part.