Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi")

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Cheeseburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2005/08/29 13:40:22
Gary, thanks for the help. Between that and spring rolls, I'd just about kill to be a kid in that neighborhood again.
czardog
Junior Burger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2007/02/01 12:39:29
If you are ever in the Disneyland area, venture over to Little Saigon, home of the largest Vietnamese population outside of Vietnam. It's a few miles, but worth the drive. There's a Pho and/or a Banh Mi restaurant on virtually every corner.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2007/02/01 13:18:49
I just had some Sunday at The Saigon in Milwaukee; the price has crept up to $2.75 but still a bargain.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2007/02/03 18:42:57
I can definitely vouch for the quality of the Banh Mi sandwiches that Lucy Sheets sells outside of the My Ngoc restaurant in Pittsburgh. No trip to the Strip District is complete without getting one.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2007/02/03 19:14:40
quote:
Originally posted by czardog

If you are ever in the Disneyland area, venture over to Little Saigon, home of the largest Vietnamese population outside of Vietnam. It's a few miles, but worth the drive. There's a Pho and/or a Banh Mi restaurant on virtually every corner.
Yes......and you can still find great sandwiches there for $1.25!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2007/02/03 19:18:43
Where is this located. I get to Orlando pretty frequently.

I am surprised about the Viet population in Orlando. I am Houston and the population here is huge. I understand they almost dominate the shrimp fishing and M D Anderson employees a huge amount of those fine folks.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Cinnabonbon
Cheeseburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2007/02/04 02:15:44
Paul,

The Disneyland area they are referring to is Anaheim CA not Disney World in Orlando. The place they are refering to is in Garden Grove there is a section called Little Saigon. Lots of Banh Mi places most sell the sandwiches for under $3.00

I prefer the BBQ pork or BBQ chicken. Try checking at some Vietnamese places if it's not on the menu ask & maybe they can tell you where they sell them.
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2007/02/04 10:51:25
Just to update the board Ba Xuyen moved to 4222 8th Ave in Brooklyn. Still the best in NYC.
guacshorts
Hamburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2007/03/14 16:49:02
I agree with the Serrano insight from the previous post.

As for the sandwiches: The best I've had are in San Francisco, downtown, near Nob Hill, at midnight. The price: $2.50 for a HUGE sandwich.

Also, I used to go to ASU in Tempe, AZ, and there was (closed down now) a college Vietnamese place that served them too... so good. Thanks for the reminder, ya'll!

spicoli
Hamburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2007/04/22 23:07:51
Even better than the ones I've had in San Francisco (and I've had a LOT of them here) were the sandwiches at Golden Flower restaurant in Reno. The meat is grilled/marinated, and the bread is fresh. $3.39 a pop, but they're AWESOME.
The Mikado
Hamburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2007/06/12 13:38:30
Don't know if anybody mentioned it, but you can get the sandwiches in Birmingham at the little place on Green Springs, right past Oxmoor on the right. Can't think of the name, but it's probably the nearest place to get the sandwiches in the Huntsville area without driving to Buford Highway in Hot-lanta. (Oh, yes, I think it's Que Huong.)

I don't know from experience that Buford has them...but if not, I'd be shocked. There's a reason they call that place Chambodia, and it's all the wonderful Asian food at your fingertips.
Gyp
Cheeseburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2009/02/21 19:47:21
MilwFoodlovers

I just had some Sunday at The Saigon in Milwaukee; the price has crept up to $2.75 but still a bargain.

This post is a couple years old but I just wanted to add that I went to Saigon for the first time the other night and got banh mi. It was fantastic. The one I got was $3.50. I believe the lowest priced ones are $3.00. Here's a picture

LoyalTubist
Junior Burger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2009/03/24 23:48:54
There is a chain of Vietnamese sandwich places called "Lee's Sandwiches." They want outlets all over the United States...

http://www.leessandwiches.com/

Actually, the family name is Le, but they thought Lee sounds better for business.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2009/03/25 00:21:13
paul and louise

this sounds a lot like a vietnamese po boy.........

Yup!!!!!!!  Hope to find one in Cinci/Dayton area soon.

Bossa Nova
Hamburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2009/03/26 16:47:36
Great bahn mi's in Brooklyn (Sunset Park) at Ba Xuyen 4222 8th Ave.  About 10 different types.  $3.75 for a pretty big sandwich.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2009/03/26 16:50:37
...well I learned Le's in Cinci is gone so Dayton is our only hope it appears..anyone know if you can get this type of sub  there?
acer2x
Cheeseburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2009/03/26 18:20:58
For those in the Philadelphia area:

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2006-07-20/food6.shtml
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2009/03/29 20:17:33

Like the other Milwaukeeans here, I've enjoyed the Banh Mi at Saigon Restaurant on National Ave. They're very generous with the pork.

In Chicago I recently enjoyed a couple of Banh Mi at Ba Le, at Broadway and Argyle. One of these days I want to do a Banh Mi tour of other restaurants on Argyle.

In Buffalo, where I spend quite a bit of time each year, Banh Mi are available at Pho 99 on Bailey Ave.  They're not as good as the other Banh Mi I've had; the "pork" includes processed turkey slices to fill out and fatten up the sandwich. Still tasty, but I'd rather pay a little more $ for more pork and no turkey.

I'm going to Paris for a couple of weeks this summer, so I hope to find some good banh mi there! 
post edited by quijote - 2009/03/29 20:19:04
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2011/09/25 05:16:19
wilson2011

looks like some subways with Asia ingredients.

yumyumcooks.com  

Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2011/09/25 13:24:43
I have to laugh because here in the Dallas area we must have literally, about 100 or so Vietnamese restaurants. I think half of Saigon settled in the DFW area. It's easy to become addicted to authentic, flavor driven Vietnamese food. We can probably thank the French colonization of Vietnam for a good part of that. From their famous Vietnamese vermicelli noodle soup, "Pho" which by the way is pronounced, "Fah". To the equally famous Vietnamese sandwich, "Banh Mi".
There are many variations of Banh Mi. The "classic" (and my favorite) is made on a (softer) French style baguette and filled with "French" ham, sliced roast pork, pork liver pate' and all sorts of greens including plenty of cilantro and hot peppers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bánh_mì

Most of the Vietnamese ex-pats (including most South East Asian ex-pats) have settled in the Dallas suburbs of Garland and Richardson. 
And thats where you'll find, La Me. Serving (arguably) the best Banh Mi sandwich in the area.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-me-richardson
post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/09/25 16:49:44
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2011/09/25 15:05:24
wilson2011

looks like some subways with Asia ingredients.

yumyumcooks.com  

I don't understand why this post was labeled as spam.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/09/25 15:19:50
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2011/09/26 06:12:59

I had those in Vietnam. Little push cart places on the side of the road. Food in general was wonderful in Vietnam.

Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia were once colonies of France, and for some reason, they apparently love the baguettes and still make them, the best time to buy is in the early mornings. I doubt Subway will ever make a dent there (I live in Hangzhou, in the P R China that has about 6 locations).

If you are in SE Asia and like beer, try to get Beer Lao (sometimes called Lao Beer). It's the best beer in Asia and the only beer of Laos.
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2011/09/26 07:06:12
senor boogie woogie 
If you are in SE Asia and like beer, try to get Beer Lao (sometimes called Lao Beer). It's the best beer in Asia and the only beer of Laos. 

In Vientiane at the moment and there is one better at least that most of us frequent here seem to think so, and thats Dark Beer Lao.  By the jug poured into a frosty glass.....life is good!

IndianaPete
Junior Burger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2012/01/03 21:24:10
Banh Mi in Indianapolis @ K&T Deli, 38th & Lafayette Rd.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2