Soup and Crackers

Double Cheeseburger
2003/07/16 21:40:45
I once read that crumbling up saltines and putting them in your soup was not in proper etiquette. Yet that is what I do. Some soups require hearty bread for dunking, but those out of a can...I've just gotta add the crackers. No nibbling them in between sips of soup. Oyster crackers were made for adding to soup, were they not? How can I be in breach of etiquette? HORRORS!
kangolpimp
Cheeseburger
RE: Soup and Crackers 2003/07/16 23:27:30
If a restaurant (or a host/hostess) brings you crackers with your soup, then etiquette comes down more on the side of abiding by the host's suggestions and/or not hurting their feelings than on the side of whether or not something is declassé. Table manners are always based on what is most polite.

As for crumbling crackers in your soup, well, what is a cracker anyway if not a flat crouton? I say go for it.

What you shouldn't do, is slice your bread with a knife at the table, you are supposed to break off little pieces with your hand. You are also not supposed to keep reaching for the butter dish, you should take an amount of butter onto your bread plate that you feel will be sufficient. This is true of butter served in a ramekin, or of butter pats. I don't follow these rules myself, but was speaking about what etiquette dictates. If you invite me to your house, my elbows are going to be on the table and I will be gnawing at the ribs you serve like a buzzsaw and reaching for the salt in lieu of asking for it to be passed.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Soup and Crackers 2003/07/17 01:03:10
What is this thing you call "etiquette"? Are the French trying to screw up eating now?
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Soup and Crackers 2003/07/17 01:04:26
Sorry...probably should have followed that up with a string of so that no one thinks I am serious!

Except about the French thing!
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Soup and Crackers 2003/07/17 08:54:59
quote:
Originally posted by kangolpimp
If you invite me to your house, my elbows are going to be on the table and I will be gnawing at the ribs you serve like a buzzsaw and reaching for the salt in lieu of asking for it to be passed.

Ha! The perfect dinner guest!! Mr. Pimp, you would be most welcome!
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Soup and Crackers 2003/07/17 09:01:52
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

What is this thing you call "etiquette"? Are the French trying to screw up eating now?

The French would say they invented eating, of course. They would probably think the rest of the world were the ones screwing it up!